Install Arc

[THE ORViLLE] | Season Two |

12345679»

Comments

• starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    starkaos wrote: »
    I found the appearance of the Krill to be highly amusing considering they are at opposite sides and yet both Union and Krill face down a third threat together.

It has been done at least a couple of times in Star Trek with the Romulans in the Dominion War and Janeway and the Borg teaming up to fight Species 8472.

Perhaps, but there are specific instances where different factions and species have banded together despite a major incompatibility defining their entire culture making any alliance laughable at best. In this case the Krill are religious militarily driven zealots who see others as lower-life's, so to save the union is almost a contradiction in terms to the Krill, since they are weakening themselves for a group of inferior species they'd sooner wipe out if given the chance.

It would be interesting to see how many religious people are in the Union. I think the Krills main problem with the Union is that they perceive the Union to be godless. If the Krill encountered religious people in the Union, then they could believe that some people in the Union believe in a version of their god similar to how Christians, Jews, and Muslims believe in different versions of the same god.

Yeah, I don't see that happening, because it would require them to write religion sympathetically. Between the Krill, the generation ship, the time-warping planet, and the Regorians, the show's demonstrated it's got an even bigger axe to grind with organized religion than TNG did. It'd be as big of a switch as the Bajoran religion was for DS9.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    Kind of curious to know where things will be going with the Krill. i fully expect to see an episode that delves into the Krill specifically and Avus, their god. learn more about how they think and feel about it.

Didn't realise Bruce Willis played a minor role on the orville in episode 7, "deflectors".
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,661 Arc User
    patrickngo wrote: »
    I found the appearance of the Krill to be highly amusing considering they are at opposite sides and yet both Union and Krill face down a third threat together.

It has been done at least a couple of times in Star Trek with the Romulans in the Dominion War and Janeway and the Borg teaming up to fight Species 8472.

Perhaps, but there are specific instances where different factions and species have banded together despite a major incompatibility defining their entire culture making any alliance laughable at best. In this case the Krill are religious militarily driven zealots who see others as lower-life's, so to save the union is almost a contradiction in terms to the Krill, since they are weakening themselves for a group of inferior species they'd sooner wipe out if given the chance.

It would be interesting to see how many religious people are in the Union. I think the Krills main problem with the Union is that they perceive the Union to be godless. If the Krill encountered religious people in the Union, then they could believe that some people in the Union believe in a version of their god similar to how Christians, Jews, and Muslims believe in different versions of the same god.

you DO know what kind of things Christians, Jews, and Muslims have been doing to one another for the last 1000 years or so, right??

Yep. Look at Temple Mount, all there of them WANT the place, but REFUSE to SHARE it.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
    Latest episode with a younger version of Grayson by 7 years, brutal snore fest for the most part.
    The previous one with the ever meddling Klyden while annoying proves to be just as interesting as ever and the social justice theme it presents about Women's rights on Moclus.
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    Latest episode with a younger version of Grayson by 7 years, brutal snore fest for the most part.
    The previous one with the ever meddling Klyden while annoying proves to be just as interesting as ever and the social justice theme it presents about Women's rights on Moclus.

The Orville seems to follow the idea that time travel creates new timelines instead of changing the past changes the present in the vast majority of time travel in Star Trek based on the ending of the episode. Of course, it is possible that Commander Grayson's history will change in the next episode. So instead of serving with her Ex on the Orville, she is just serving with a person she had one date with or she becomes Captain Grayson with her own ship and Captain Mercer either still has his own ship or is her XO.

It was nice to see Klyden and Bortus having fun together instead of the usual being at each other's throats.
    The Orville seems to follow the idea that time travel creates new timelines instead of changing the past changes the present in the vast majority of time travel in Star Trek based on the ending of the episode. Of course, it is possible that Commander Grayson's history will change in the next episode. So instead of serving with her Ex on the Orville, she is just serving with a person she had one date with or she becomes Captain Grayson with her own ship and Captain Mercer either still has his own ship or is her XO.

What if that was how Grayson was meant to act? to decline Mercer after the first date, but he didn't take no for an answer and wooed her even more than before and she fell for him. we haven't seen events previous to the encounter with the alien in heat and Mercer leaving his wife outside of a temporal event to know anything for sure. if we had seen that before this episode it would of put those doubts to rest. but with that whole temporal thing, nothing is certain about Grayson anymore.
    The Orville seems to use the standard "changing the past changes the present" time travel since Doctor Finn disappeared after fixing the timeline.

It was nice to see Klyden and Bortus having fun together instead of the usual being at each other's throats.

I always felt that, too. That time travel only changes YOUR personal time. If I went back in time and killed my grandpa, I would not blink out, like Marty almost did in BttF. What would happen is I made a new time where, in the old time, I disappeared and nobody knows what happen to me. Also, I would make a new time where gramps is dead and dad never was born, I'd still be around, now....dunno if I could go back to my original time or not, but I'd either stay in this new time, or go foreword, and see what stuff is like the moment I left.

Only your own time changes.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg

I always felt that, too. That time travel only changes YOUR personal time. If I went back in time and killed my grandpa, I would not blink out, like Marty almost did in BttF. What would happen is I made a new time where, in the old time, I disappeared and nobody knows what happen to me. Also, I would make a new time where gramps is dead and dad never was born, I'd still be around, now....dunno if I could go back to my original time or not, but I'd either stay in this new time, or go foreword, and see what stuff is like the moment I left.

Only your own time changes.

Personally, I belief in the Michael Crichton's Timeline version of time travel. You are not travelling in time, but to a parallel universe that looks like the past or the future. However, my assessment of Orville time travel has changed from the most recent episode due to Doctor Finn disappearing from reality so it matches the most common version of Star Trek time travel. Doctor Finn changed the past back to normal so that her timeline was replaced by the original timeline or one that is extremely similar to the original timeline. The only difference might be that a glass was broken in the new timeline while the glass might have not broken in the original timeline.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    The terminator version is that "creating a new timeline" basically over writes the old, but it's not retroactive. So, if you go back in time and kill yourself, you're still there. The alternate you in the new timeline is dead though.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    The terminator version is that "creating a new timeline" basically over writes the old, but it's not retroactive. So, if you go back in time and kill yourself, you're still there. The alternate you in the new timeline is dead though.

But how do we know that the new timeline replaced the old timeline? There could be millions of Kyle Reeses going back in time to save millions of Sarah Connors.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    But how do we know that the new timeline replaced the old timeline? There could be millions of Kyle Reeses going back in time to save millions of Sarah Connors.
    We can't get to it or see it so how would we know if it does?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    Will Fox let this last longer than CBS did let that Enterprise D project?
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • garaks31garaks31 Member Posts: 2,845 Arc User
    in the second video the dev of the project mentioned they got approval. scensoring these kinds of stuff is no good for the franchise in my opinion.
    Will Fox let this last longer than CBS did let that Enterprise D project?

McFarlane gave them his blessing, saying go for it.

Seth respects fans, not telling them to "Tribble off!", like CBS has been doing.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg