What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

=/\= Captain Pike series discussion =/\=

13»

Comments

• starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    artan42 wrote: »
    jonsills wrote: »
    Artan, the Kelvin Timeline explicitly takes place in an alternate universe. This is even mentioned in dialog in the 2009 film.

No. It's called an 'alternate reality' in the film not an 'alternate universe'. That term is used in DSC, to describe the Terran and Prime universes.​​

Alternate reality is the generic term while alternate timeline and parallel universe are more specific. Alternate universe could be used instead of alternate reality in most situations since each alternate timeline or parallel universe has to exist in their own universe, but alternate reality is more acceptable. After all, why bother with alternate universe when alternate timeline or parallel universe is more specific. As far as the difference between alternate timeline and parallel universe goes, it depends on when it was created. A parallel universe has existed since the Big Bang while alternate timelines were created more recently due to the influence of a time traveler or they are constantly being created by our decisions depending on which theory is being used.

Any reality different from our own is an alternate reality like the elemental planes from Dungeons & Dragons or subspace. Even Heaven and Hell would be alternate realities assuming that they exist.
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    starkaos wrote: »
    artan42 wrote: »
    jonsills wrote: »
    Artan, the Kelvin Timeline explicitly takes place in an alternate universe. This is even mentioned in dialog in the 2009 film.

No. It's called an 'alternate reality' in the film not an 'alternate universe'. That term is used in DSC, to describe the Terran and Prime universes.

Alternate reality is the generic term while alternate timeline and parallel universe are more specific. Alternate universe could be used instead of alternate reality in most situations since each alternate timeline or parallel universe has to exist in their own universe, but alternate reality is more acceptable. After all, why bother with alternate universe when alternate timeline or parallel universe is more specific. As far as the difference between alternate timeline and parallel universe goes, it depends on when it was created. A parallel universe has existed since the Big Bang while alternate timelines were created more recently due to the influence of a time traveler or they are constantly being created by our decisions depending on which theory is being used.

Any reality different from our own is an alternate reality like the elemental planes from Dungeons & Dragons or subspace. Even Heaven and Hell would be alternate realities assuming that they exist.

Citation or you've just made it all up again.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    Are we still talking about a Pike show? I got lost about the definition of alternate reality.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User

Brought a smile to my face. Now Anson knows it's true, perhaps he will reconsider and come back? :tongue:
    It would be great to bring Anson back as Pike. i know i mentioned it in another thread, but Anson's performance of Pike has been excellent in an otherwise ordinary tv series. Such a shame it's coming to an end today with the last episode of season 2.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,789 Arc User
    Personally, i think PWE should capitalize on CBS's mistake and bring the Pike Enterprise crew actors and their future stories to this game. Think of it as an exclusive place to enjoy the continuing adventures through Star Trek Online and voiced by the actors from the show.
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    With the Season 2 ending of Discovery, the Captain Pike series could be Season 3 and Season 4 of Discovery. The Season 2 Finale of Discovery felt more like a Series Finale instead of a Season Finale. There is no way that the USS Discovery will be making another appearance in the 23rd Century with that ending. There has certainly has been little discovery in the first 2 seasons of Discovery compared to every other Star Trek series.
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    starkaos wrote: »
    With the Season 2 ending of Discovery, the Captain Pike series could be Season 3 and Season 4 of Discovery. The Season 2 Finale of Discovery felt more like a Series Finale instead of a Season Finale. There is no way that the USS Discovery will be making another appearance in the 23rd Century with that ending. There has certainly has been little discovery in the first 2 seasons of Discovery compared to every other Star Trek series.

I can still see a few ways that Discovery can remain in its own timeline and not be recognised as an active ship and everyone officially declared as dead. Most ironic suggestion is that Discovery is recruited into section 31 by the now officially dead Admiral Cornwell who was beamed out at the same time that torpedo went off.

Control was destroyed in the future and Burnham's mother doesn't exist in the future any more and temporal agents there did what they could, wiped their memories of events very specifically to the crew and sent Discovery back to the 23rd.

Section 31 has a new mandate under Cornwell and her second Commander Tyler is there with her. Her story is that Tyler had Cornwell beamed off the enterprise the moment that torpedo exploded, operated by Klingon computers for minute reactions well beyond biological standards, she was beamed to L'Rell's ship and made a guest rather than a prisoner after earning major kudos from Starfleet in defense of Discovery and the Enterprise, L'Rell's ship left unopposed and undercloak, Tyler had beamed away to face the music.

After events on Earth, Cornwell was beamed to a Section 31 ship Tyler was commanding and he gave up the right to lead while L'Rell heads home. Officially he leads the outfit, unofficially Cornwell is in command. only a select few know Cornwell is alive and running section 31, as per directives from Starfleet requiring greater transparency. Same will be said of Discovery and its crew.

So when Discovery is found and it's crew are safe, they are recruited into section 31 by Cornwell, the Starfleet transponder is removed from Discovery, the registry is changed but the name remains. Officially Discovery is a black ops ship, same with it's crew and the spore drive is now reintergrated into the ship and another crew member is given the therapy to avoid Stamet's burning out.

Due to Discovery needing a clear commander, Saru is given the promotion to Captain and is now second to Cornwell in command of Section 31, while Burnham and Stamets are promoted to full Commander to give Stamets full control over engineering matters and is a useful 3rd officer should he be needed for the role on the bridge, while Burnham can help Saru out and have executive powers on the ship.

But that is the only time i'm going off topic in this instance.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
    > @theboxisred said:
    > valoreah wrote: »
    >
    > thegrandnagus1 wrote: »
    >
    > You are generally right. However there are also factors which don't get recognized until after the fact that happen in the "making money" phase but also lead to a decline. Such factors are oversaturation, "jumping the shark", etc. Something might be making money, but if the culture just gets tired of it the IP is going to suffer a decline. So not all decisions made in the "making money" phase are actually good for the IP long term.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Trek has already endured franchise fatigue and it is still going. It's also endure season 3 of TOS, Wesley Crusher, Neelix, ST: V TFF and so on. I don't see it going anywhere anytime soon.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > "Franchise Fatigue" is just a marketing term used to cover bad writing, show running, and running with that which appeals to a smaller fan demographic (let's call it "Prequelitis").
    >
    > Fans want to like the New Thing. There are only so many ways kill that level of built-in good will. The marketing strategies employed by several of the big science fiction franchises over the last several years is one example of how to do so.
    >
    > Indeed, the reason the phrase "Franchise Fatigue" isn't uttered so much lately is because the claim can be refuted when a good product is released.
    >
    > The preemptive strategy is the more sinister/cynical; Look at the dailies, recognize that your production is not that good, launch agenda-driven marketing that allows you to blame your (insert un-woke jargon here) built-in fan base for your failure.

Marvel movies & Transformers and TV shows took Franchise Fatigue as a concept out back and shot it.
    > @peterconnorfirst said:
    > After seeing the new Pike, Spock and #1 actors in Disco S2 the past weeks I must admit that an "Early Voyages" series of the NCC 1701 with them aboard would be the best thing I could think of for Trek at the moment. Yes, a lot better than Section 31 or even the new grandpa Picard show. They have 10 years till the events of TOS happen so more than enough time for a 5 year mission. Engage! :)

I like that name for a Pike series. I didn't know what they should call such a series, but Early Voyages is perfect.
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited May 2019
    lordgyor wrote: »
    > After seeing the new Pike, Spock and #1 actors in Disco S2 the past weeks I must admit that an "Early Voyages" series of the NCC 1701 with them aboard would be the best thing I could think of for Trek at the moment. Yes, a lot better than Section 31 or even the new grandpa Picard show. They have 10 years till the events of TOS happen so more than enough time for a 5 year mission. Engage! :)

I like that name for a Pike series. I didn't know what they should call such a series, but Early Voyages is perfect.

Yea me too but it's not from me.^^ There was a Marvel Comic line some 20 years ago who used it for a Pike series on the Enterprise. :)

latest?cb=20070603210407&path-prefix=en

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Star_Trek:_Early_Voyages

I loved it. Great art, awsome stories. <3
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
    > lordgyor wrote: »
    >
    > > @peterconnorfirst said:
    > > After seeing the new Pike, Spock and #1 actors in Disco S2 the past weeks I must admit that an "Early Voyages" series of the NCC 1701 with them aboard would be the best thing I could think of for Trek at the moment. Yes, a lot better than Section 31 or even the new grandpa Picard show. They have 10 years till the events of TOS happen so more than enough time for a 5 year mission. Engage! :)
    >
    > I like that name for a Pike series. I didn't know what they should call such a series, but Early Voyages is perfect.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Yea me too but it's not from me.^^ There was a Marvel Comic line some 20 years ago who used it for a Pike series on the Enterprise. :)
    >
    >
    >
    > https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Star_Trek:_Early_Voyages
    >
    > I loved it. Great art, awsome stories. <3

Cool.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    lordgyor wrote: »
    Marvel movies & Transformers and TV shows took Franchise Fatigue as a concept out back and shot it.
    One of Toho's press releases discussed this concept briefly. Their take was that fatigue represented running out of ideas, and not just public disinterest.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg