test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[PC] Operation: Riposte Featured TFO

Comments

• alyxvixen#3895 alyxvixen Member Posts: 128 Arc User
    I know other people have done the math of this, but even with the double bonus days, we still wouldn't make the 3000 CPTs needed for the T6 ship coupon.

Event length: 21 days.
    CPTs per day: 50
    Total: 1050.

With the ENTIRE event at double, that's still only 2100. At triple (3150), we could do if we hit the event every day with a small breathing space.

If you hit the event every 20 hours (allowing 25 runs), that gives you 1250 CPTs during the event. Again with the entire event at double CPTs, that brings in 2500... still 500 short of the 3000 required.

So I'm wondering if the Bonus marks you get for running a TFO the first time (per rep) will be factored in to the amount you get...

Or you can buy a CPT bundle from the C-store (like the last events allowed you to do with the vouchers)...

Or it's 50 CPTs per character on the account running it...

Otherwise, there is NO way we can make the 3000 required CPTs for the T6 ship coupon.
  • chr22chr22 Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    from the look of the arguements, it seems it's not going as expected. Worst off, the server's down so that's going to bork it up.
  • vengefuldjinnvengefuldjinn Member Posts: 1,520 Arc User
    Yay!
    A FREE c store ship !

tumblr_o2aau3b7nh1rkvl19o1_400.gif

• phoenix841phoenix841 Member Posts: 486 Arc User
    phoenix841 wrote: »
    RIP the days of solo storyline content.
    While I also don't like the shift away from story missions.. I will say that I appreciate the fact that Cryptic has introduced a method to get a free T6 ship from the store.
    I'm honestly not sure what you mean by a shift away from solo/story missions.

We have gotten two missions per major release so far, and are getting at least another 2 more with Rise of Discovery. Al Rivera has mentioned several times that by the time the Discovery content is done, there will be two full arcs for Discovery content, meaning anywhere from 12-16 missions. And they are coming out every 3ish months just like missions used to.

I see, I must have missed that then. It just seems to me we've had more TFO missions than solo ones for the last 6 months or so, with no end in sight.
    RIP the days of solo storyline content.
    While I also don't like the shift away from story missions.. I will say that I appreciate the fact that Cryptic has introduced a method to get a free T6 ship from the store.
    I'm honestly not sure what you mean by a shift away from solo/story missions.

We have gotten two missions per major release so far, and are getting at least another 2 more with Rise of Discovery. Al Rivera has mentioned several times that by the time the Discovery content is done, there will be two full arcs for Discovery content, meaning anywhere from 12-16 missions. And they are coming out every 3ish months just like missions used to.

I mean I prefer the old 'Featured Episode' method to the current 'Featured TFO' system. Running one mission 3 times over 3 weeks felt less 'grindy' to me then running 1 TFO 14 times over 3 weeks.
    ^ This. This is what I mean. Well, I preferred the original method, the 2600/Spectres series style features episodes. I don't like running the same mission 3 times to complete a set on alts. The original featured series runs let you play a set of episodes, for multiple sets of items, while playing different episodes for those set items (for the most part).
    thanatos9t wrote: »
    Personally I don't find the Featured TFO's a good idea especially three back to back, forcing players to play the same TFO mission over and over again for 14 days sucks the enjoyment out of playing the game.

I barely managed to get to the end of the last Featured TFO, as it became such a chore logging to play the TFO, and based on other players going AFK towards the end of the event I can't be the only one feeling like this.
    I wanted to pull my hair out after 14 days on that last ground TFO we had. I can't stand to do them more than a week, let alone for 14 days.
    pottsey5g wrote: »
    > @kellmg96#5851 said:
    > Great, another FN 2 week grind for prizes, instead of actual TRIBBLE content!

You get a free T6 ship if your choice out of it and you’re still complaining?
    A new ship isn't content and what Star Trek Online is really missing now is end game content and content to play. End game content is in the worst state that's its ever been in STO having taken a real step backwards in the past year. Giving us more ships but no real content to use those ships with is not really solving anything. Having new ships is nice but what do we do with those ships?
    Define "end game content." All I see is end game content. TFOs are exactly that IMO.

I mean I prefer the old 'Featured Episode' method to the current 'Featured TFO' system. Running one mission 3 times over 3 weeks felt less 'grindy' to me then running 1 TFO 14 times over 3 weeks.

That also provided more variation in cadence with the TFO grinds of the time, allowing one to back off a little (avoiding burnout) without "missing out" on active events (negative phycological reinforcement) or spending zen on a buyout. Contrast that with now, we've been on a TFO grind since February and will continue into May. It's intense grinding at an unprecedented interval in STO and of its most intense type (undermining whatever Cryptic's done for this TFO to make it fun in its own right. The context is grueling.)

And while free T6 for playing is a nice freebie it is presenting intense, long term grinding as the company recommended default in STO (3 more TFO's between now and fall) Add to this personal endeavors.

Cryptic, you guys can take player retention mechanisms too far. Try expanding narrative content forms, gameplay, and character building instead.
    > @kellmg96#5851 said:
    > Great, another FN 2 week grind for prizes, instead of actual TRIBBLE content!

You get a free T6 ship if your choice out of it and you’re still complaining?

It's unprecedented for us to have 3 consecutive TFO grinds (in modern memory) without episodic content. Folks are well within their rights to complain about the new content strategy (particularly with the lack of an alternative now), irrespective of the new reward scheme (hey it's a freebie, not much downside to that, but an incidental freebie shouldn't be the thing to sustain interest in a game.)
    This is what I noticed too.
    I know other people have done the math of this, but even with the double bonus days, we still wouldn't make the 3000 CPTs needed for the T6 ship coupon.

With the ENTIRE event at double, that's still only 2100. At triple (3150), we could do if we hit the event every day with a small breathing space.

If you hit the event every 20 hours (allowing 25 runs), that gives you 1250 CPTs during the event. Again with the entire event at double CPTs, that brings in 2500... still 500 short of the 3000 required.

So I'm wondering if the Bonus marks you get for running a TFO the first time (per rep) will be factored in to the amount you get...

Or you can buy a CPT bundle from the C-store (like the last events allowed you to do with the vouchers)...

Otherwise, there is NO way we can make the 3000 required CPTs for the T6 ship coupon.
    It's 3000 CPTs over 63 event days, not 21.
    LTS Since Beta (Jan 2010).
  • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    thanatos9t wrote: »
    If you want the featured toys its 14 days but if you want a ship it'll be the full 21, unless you're in a timezone where the maintenance routinely removes days from events. Maybe thats why the bonus days idea came from but if they're a random something to look out for then not a fan, just make it a weekend, saturday or sunday.
    How did you get 21 days for a ship? At 50 tokens per day and 3000 needed for the ship Coupon, that's 60 days (not taking into account the double token days) per ship.

It's 21 to maximise the tokens for the FULL event run.

I should have maybe said that if someone wants a ship in a timely manner it'll be the full 21 day run. Only running the event to get the reward a player is probably just as fast to go the dil to zen to ship sale route, although that is affected by the market price and when sales come along.

It's a small positive that they didn't launch right into this straight off the back of the dissent and dullness pahvo duo, remains to be seen if this new one will end up being mindnumblingly tedious after the two weeks is done.
  • toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
    Hmm, before I commit to even logging in again: Do the tokens matter in any way if we end up with fewer than 3000 by fall? Will we be able to echange them for at least something? Will they remain with a chance of adding up to 3000 later on next year?

All that assuming the ship we choose for the discount will indeed remain a typical C-Store account bound ship.

Thing is that these TFO runs are basically the most annoying and repetitive thing in STO and a large part of why I was driven off. Since I stopped caring for any dil or mark grinding as well, somehow missing the ship by just a couple days would be most unfortunate. The other rewards from TFOs simply do not interest me one bit. That's why I haven't actually played in months.
    And quite frankly the last time I was actually playing the game with interest was prior to the ramping up of the reputation system.

I gotta say though: First time the mail from PWE came the day of the announcement. I even actually read the mail before I got to check the news page like I do daily. So kudos for being successful with mailing news for the first time in like 8 years I've been playing this.
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited April 2019

For three TFO's (listed per the blog as the extent of this event, though we may see more and expansion in future) it's 14x3. That's 42 days (2,100 CPT). Completion isn't enough by itself if you stick to normal completion of TFO event. The remaining 900 CPT (30% of the total) must be made up for through bonuses or grinding days beyond 14 (1,050 CPT available, though if you played through every single day you're bound to hit a few bonus weekends.)

For most I suspect it won't be an issue, Cryptic will probably be calibrating the bonus weekends to peak activity so most people won't have to change their habits to earn the T6 ship, if they're participating consistently. However this will invariably leave some folks out whose schedules don't happen to sync with population trends (statistically inevitable and a point for why a flat rate would be preferable.) They'll be making up the difference imposed by a missed bonus weekends by grinding additional days. Variable rates mean variable required effort and with that being outside player control it simply seems to add a point of potential frustration to what could be a simpler freebie. Two players may put in equal work but one may not get the ship in the end (without a buyout or additional grinding in this hypothetical) because of differences in their weekly schedules (which seems a little arbitrary.)

Again, not a general worry but it's an odd facet and whose major impact seems to be requiring additional effort if you don't happen to take play on select weekends within a 21 day interval. The best I can say is that it might be a targeted way of influencing population cycles.
    Post edited by duncanidaho11 on
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    toiva wrote: »
    Hmm, before I commit to even logging in again: Do the tokens matter in any way if we end up with fewer than 3000 by fall? Will we be able to echange them for at least something? Will they remain with a chance of adding up to 3000 later on next year?

We right now do not know what their plans are if people fail to get the 3000 coupons. Right now, they're doing a test run to see how it goes. Either they decide it's not worth repeating or they decide that enough people like it so they will do it again in the future.
    All that assuming the ship we choose for the discount will indeed remain a typical C-Store account bound ship.

I don't see why it wouldn't, considering that all the ships available for the choice are C-store ships.
    Thing is that these TFO runs are basically the most annoying and repetitive thing in STO and a large part of why I was driven off. Since I stopped caring for any dil or mark grinding as well, somehow missing the ship by just a couple days would be most unfortunate. The other rewards from TFOs simply do not interest me one bit. That's why I haven't actually played in months.
    And quite frankly the last time I was actually playing the game with interest was prior to the ramping up of the reputation system.

I gotta say though: First time the mail from PWE came the day of the announcement. I even actually read the mail before I got to check the news page like I do daily. So kudos for being successful with mailing news for the first time in like 8 years I've been playing this.

The thing is, TFOs are likely the easiest content that the devs can create quick enough for people to play. All you need is an actor to record lines of dialog, 1 map, placement of enemies and things to do on the map and bam, you're done!

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    It's intense grinding at an unprecedented interval
    I hate how people have so utterly diluted the word "grinding" into meaninglessness.

Grinding used to mean logging on constantly to play 5-6 hours straight of killing some sort of enemy for a .000001% drop rate item, or simply because the game's quests/event content wasn't enough to get you to the level needed to reach in order to access the next level of quests.

Logging in one a day to play a less then 20 minute, typically less then 15 minute, TFO isn't "grind" its barely even work at all. Especially with how much some people complain you can just AFK and win anyways.

Grinding is doing a repetitive task over and over in the hopes of acquiring something of value. That isn't and never was diluted, so i have no idea what you are going on about here, infact it makes no darn sense considering you are so fickle about these things.

and TFO's are variable on time as well, who knows what team you'll get stuck with and how these things will unfold.

so that is two cases where you haven't been your usual honest self.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
    edited April 2019
    It's intense grinding at an unprecedented interval
    I hate how people have so utterly diluted the word "grinding" into meaninglessness.

Grinding used to mean logging on constantly to play 5-6 hours straight of killing some sort of enemy for a .000001% drop rate item, or simply because the game's quests/event content wasn't enough to get you to the level needed to reach in order to access the next level of quests.

Logging in one a day to play a less then 20 minute, typically less then 15 minute, TFO isn't "grind" its barely even work at all. Especially with how much some people complain you can just AFK and win anyways.

Grinding is doing a repetitive task over and over in the hopes of acquiring something of value.

For discussion context, this is the definition of grinding held by common use, shared cultural understanding of the term, as well as discussions in academia.

Per Wiki: Link
    Per peer reviewed scientific research: Link

"The variable-ratio reinforcement schedules in video games and participants’ need to complete goals often produced what was termed ‘grinding’ behaviour. Grinding refers to the repetition of an action or series of actions in a video game in order to obtain a reward."

That may be undertaken over a short period of time (see. XP grinding) but the distinguishing features is repetition of a single activity over time for a designated reward. Featured TFO events do qualify, though folks are free to enjoy them irrespective of the verbs we use to describe literal patterns of behavior. This is basic and I just want to reinforce these points so you don't feel unduly put upon by Som's behavior.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
    edited April 2019
    For discussion context, this is the definition of grinding held by common use,
    Here maybe, but nowhere else have I seen something like a TFO be considered grinding, especially in the MMO market.

Also
    >wikipedia
    and your argument fall apart

I cite peer reviewed scientific research as well, including a direct quote if the link proved too daunting for you. If you disagree with the use of the term I think it's up to you to clarify your position with respect to how you use it, personally, in cases where there might be some confusion rather than attacking other commenters for applying it (to STO) per popular convention and academic discourse.

That's not how language works.
  • darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,698 Community Moderator
    Guy's lets stop the arguing and get back to the original point of the thread. You're not going to convince the other so it's best to agree to disagree and move on. Next time the mod sword comes out.
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
    edited April 2019

I don't see why it wouldn't, considering that all the ships available for the choice are C-store ships.

Jeremy confirmed on twitter that the T6 prize will function like a standard c-store purchase. So, all ships available (within existing account restrictions), all elements included, and account unlocked.

• ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    Why do you think they just implemented the C-Store change where buying one ship in a Bundle prevented you from ever buying the Bundle at a later date?
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • alyxvixen#3895 alyxvixen Member Posts: 128 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    It's 3000 CPTs over 63 event days, not 21.

Okay, I admit to missing the bit about the events until Autumn. Which means we're getting a grinder event every two months until September just to earn a single token to redeem in the C-Store for a T6 ship...

In those six months, I could buy enough zen to purchase the T6 ships, and still have some left over for any new ones they release in that timeframe.

This sounds like a desperate attempt to keep the fanbase interested by jangling keys in front of them... kinda like Defiance did.
    That got to a point most fans didn't care about the events anymore and just let them notice that there was no new content getting made, as all the time was being used to come up with more events (or the Reboot of the entire game world).

I don't want pointless events every month or two, I want the game designers to give us CONTENT, not toys or grinds. Actual enjoyable CONTENT!! Something we lost when the Foundry got nuked.
  • vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,843 Arc User
    so yeah, it's really 6 toons gringing for 60 days if you want a bundle, and you wand the KDF version of said bundle...
    Spock.jpg

• baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,238 Community Moderator
    According to the livestream, progress towards the ship coupon is tracked across all toons on an account, so there won't be a way to earn multiple coupons at the same time.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User

Jeremy confirmed on twitter that the T6 prize will function like a standard c-store purchase. So, all ships available (within existing account restrictions), all elements included, and account unlocked.

Oh nice, that clarifies some things. Nice not having to deal with actual coupon "items" filling inventories and getting forgotten in banks etc.
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
  • szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,723 Arc User
    There has been a question that has plagued me for many years. And, in all those years, I have never heard a straight answer from Cryptic itself.

Why do the developers have such a huge fixation for "Task Force Operations"/Group Queues/'space-dungeons'? Why are so many 'events' in the game centered around this mechanic/playstyle?

Subjectively speaking, it is the content I find to be the LEAST appealing in the entire game. Why didn't the old Alert/Public Defense Patrol system get this kind of attention(Defend the Klingon Empire against an organized Gorn uprising by participating each day to get an exclusive prototype thingamajig)? Why aren't there special crafting events that could potentially stimulate the raw materials market as a bonus side effect(The Cardassian Militia are in dire need of X number of Daily-crafted, Character-bound Y and will reward you with Z for them)?

Outside of regular seasonal events, why are the only 'retention schemes' always: "Sit around doing nothing for a while waiting for a group of people(whom you may or may not know or have any idea how they will play/perform) so you can jump through arbitrary and convoluted hoops/objectives (which may include a time limit) and hope that everyone you're stuck with will magically do everything right."?
  • ozzymiteozzymite Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    Take the fight to the Klingons and turn the tide of the war in Operation: Riposte! You can earn a brand new Elite Defense Satellite.

But there's more - we're starting a new program where playing TFOs can earn you a T6 ship! More details here:

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11138023

Where can you join this as i've looked when i was in the game but can't find where to join or do you need to be in a fleet?
  • foxman00foxman00 Member Posts: 1,478 Arc User
    ozzymite wrote: »
    Take the fight to the Klingons and turn the tide of the war in Operation: Riposte! You can earn a brand new Elite Defense Satellite.

But there's more - we're starting a new program where playing TFOs can earn you a T6 ship! More details here:

Where can you join this as i've looked when i was in the game but can't find where to join or do you need to be in a fleet?

Event doesnt start until after the patch today. Once the patch is over, the queue will show up in the queue list.
    pjxgwS8.jpg
    edited April 2019

It's starting tomorrow (Thursday, 4/17). To participate you simply need to play the new featured TFO and the two to come later this year. Each day you'll receive 50 tokens, automatically deposited to your account and a special progress tracker (its not an item). Once you earn 3,000, you'll be able to claim the T6 ship coupon. There's a UI for this being added to handle this, you'll have a few months to get a handle on it.

So, basically just play the game and try out the new TFO's consistently. Also keep an eye out for bonus weekends, such as we have coming up. They award double tokens.
    szerontzur wrote: »
    Subjectively speaking, it is the content I find to be the LEAST appealing in the entire game. Why didn't the old Alert/Public Defense Patrol system get this kind of attention(Defend the Klingon Empire against an organized Gorn uprising by participating each day to get an exclusive prototype thingamajig)? Why aren't there special crafting events that could potentially stimulate the raw materials market as a bonus side effect(The Cardassian Militia are in dire need of X number of Daily-crafted, Character-bound Y and will reward you with Z for them)?

I'm not so down on TFO's as a category but for me they are more of a filler item than "reason to play." I do play them quite frequently (they are convenient) but they don't have as much impact for me as just about any other content form (maybe just a product of acclimation and the format of teamed gaming; you're much more aware of players than character.) STO could use more experimentation in format, particularly to break up the TFO grind between major episodes (they're popular but three in a row is wearing even with good design.)
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Why all the TFOs? That reminds me of the little joke you could write on two sides of a small piece of paper. ;)

How do you keep... (over)

a moron busy (over)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • ozzymiteozzymite Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    foxman00 wrote: »
    ozzymite wrote: »

Event doesnt start until after the patch today. Once the patch is over, the queue will show up in the queue list.

K..thanks :)