test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Need Help Fighting Voth Starships

darchissdarchiss Member Posts: 10 Arc User
My girlfriend and I have gotten really far in the game and are near the level cap as our klingon characters. Currently doing the Delta Quadrant Story arc but seem to be stuck. Voth ships are OP and constantly repair themselves. We spent nearly an hour fighting them before giving up and switching back to the Federation faction.

Any tips would be appreciated as we'd like to finish the game with our klingon characters. Perhaps we need better ships or more players? We did fine before with just the two of us.

Thanks in advance.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,715 Community Moderator
    They're not OP they just require different tactics than standard ships. The voth aren't a foe you can just spacebar spam to death and then that be the end of it like you can with the other 99% of the ships in game. There's a couple of things you need to watch for.

Repair Ships: When these things spawn they're attempting to repair some of the ships you're talking about. They will be called something such as "Repair Ward" or something alone those lines. Target them first and foremost the moment you see them and knock them down or they will keep reviving ships you've disabled. After a brief period the disabled ships will explode.

Phase Decoy: This one can be nasty if there are alot of them around. From time to time the smaller science type ships will create a projection of themselves and then cloak temporarily. When you destroy the duplicate this will send out an AoE pulse of electrical damage that can slow your ship down or outright disable your engines while it's going on. This can easily be purged and removed from your ship through something such as Hazard Emitters, or Science Team. Typically Sci Team gets better results imo.

Immunity shield & damage reflection: This is the biggest one to watch for with Voth ships and is the biggest reason most folks often get caught off guard and get nuked by the Voth. From time to time some of the cruisers and heavier ships will poof up a little orange shield around a facing of their ship. The larger ships like the Citadel can shield an entire half of their ship where as the smaller cruisers are limited to one facing of the ship only. While this shield is up they are completely immune to damage from that facing. It doesn't stop there. If you hit that shield while it's active it will reflect any damage you do right back at you as though it's a form of feedback pulse. In other words it's absolutely possible to kill yourself with your own damage if you're not paying attention. When this is active fly to the side of the ship that doesn't have the shield active and resume fire, or hit it with a Sub-Nuc sci captain power.

Those are the 3 main things to watch out for with the voth. if you can avoid those 3 things you're generally in good shape. If you're keeping an eye out for those 3 things and still having issues, then at that point I would examine your build. With a basic level of understanding and a basic cohesive build 95% of the content can be cleared in this game on advanced and normal and a select few of the elites. If you need help beyond this you can message me on here via pm and I can help you guys out in game or with build help etc.
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
  • foxman00foxman00 Member Posts: 1,481 Arc User
    They're not OP they just require different tactics than standard ships. The voth aren't a foe you can just spacebar spam to death and then that be the end of it like you can with the other 99% of the ships in game. There's a couple of things you need to watch for.

Repair Ships: When these things spawn they're attempting to repair some of the ships you're talking about. They will be called something such as "Repair Ward" or something alone those lines. Target them first and foremost the moment you see them and knock them down or they will keep reviving ships you've disabled. After a brief period the disabled ships will explode.

Phase Decoy: This one can be nasty if there are alot of them around. From time to time the smaller science type ships will create a projection of themselves and then cloak temporarily. When you destroy the duplicate this will send out an AoE pulse of electrical damage that can slow your ship down or outright disable your engines while it's going on. This can easily be purged and removed from your ship through something such as Hazard Emitters, or Science Team. Typically Sci Team gets better results imo.

Immunity shield & damage reflection: This is the biggest one to watch for with Voth ships and is the biggest reason most folks often get caught off guard and get nuked by the Voth. From time to time some of the cruisers and heavier ships will poof up a little orange shield around a facing of their ship. The larger ships like the Citadel can shield an entire half of their ship where as the smaller cruisers are limited to one facing of the ship only. While this shield is up they are completely immune to damage from that facing. It doesn't stop there. If you hit that shield while it's active it will reflect any damage you do right back at you as though it's a form of feedback pulse. In other words it's absolutely possible to kill yourself with your own damage if you're not paying attention. When this is active fly to the side of the ship that doesn't have the shield active and resume fire, or hit it with a Sub-Nuc sci captain power.

Those are the 3 main things to watch out for with the voth. if you can avoid those 3 things you're generally in good shape. If you're keeping an eye out for those 3 things and still having issues, then at that point I would examine your build. With a basic level of understanding and a basic cohesive build 95% of the content can be cleared in this game on advanced and normal and a select few of the elites. If you need help beyond this you can message me on here via pm and I can help you guys out in game or with build help etc.

While not as noticeable, several of the Voth ships do have a power drain mechanic. It can easily be countered by destroying the ship with the ability. However, if you are not quick, or hit with several drains, it can become a problem. Especially if you are on a new toon or dont have much high grade equipment that drain can be troublesome. Especially if you are having to deal with the voths immunity shield and phase decoy abilities at the same time.
    pjxgwS8.jpg
  • darchissdarchiss Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    Thank you. We'll give it another go tomorrow and I'll update this thread on our progress.
  • lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    Your bot trying to solo the pack over a tower are you ? I've done it, but it's rough unless you built a specialized AoE vaping toon/ship. Peeps will laugh at my method but it works, mostly, and requires alot of speed and luck. Stay on the fringe of the pack and try to lure the small guys out, and pick them off. The cruisers are lethal in packs so try to engage them one at a time. Sometimes a gravity well to bunch them up then A high powered torp spread will get one to explode taking out a few others. Always be on the lookout for the repair ships blast them first or break off your assault on something else and kill it. I always keep at least 2 placates in the tray even if I have to equip a discharge warp plasma. Bunch em up, placate the mob, hit em hard, rinse and repeat. My klingon engineer in a T5 Kamarag can pull it off 1/2 the time, my Rom Tac in fleet Arkif about 80%. I havent done it yet with a DPS league build, but am working toward it.

GL
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    Yeah, the Voth Ward Repair Ships can be your biggest foe if you let them sneak by you and revive ships you've disabled. I always watch for them and break off any attack to take them out.

Also, some of the heavy ships can hit you with a Tyken's Rift, so try to get away from those or you'll drain in a hurry.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    Deleted by poster
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
    I don't have any 'specialized' build either and have managed to take on a tower by myself. Lots of moving around and crowd control. Have some pets helps take some of the aggro off of you. The frigate pets especially and maybe the disposable scorpions, the distress call if you can call it up without having to let yourself get past 50% hull.

It's doable w/o too much specialty building.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • sorceror01sorceror01 Member Posts: 1,042 Arc User
    Also, to add to the note about Voth ships with power drain:

The Voth cruisers deploy an Aceton drone that will drain power and then detonate, with effects of about 5 km or so. The deal with the drone is that it is completely immune to energy damage. Do not fire energy weapons at it. If you do, it creates a damaging feedback pulse that damages any friendlies in the radius. It is incredibly susceptible to torpedoes, however, so a quick salvo will destroy it (or a single hit from the Voth rep graviton torp).

The Voth battleships do not deploy a drone, but do have an energy drain field, that also reaches out to about 5 km. There is no real way to avoid the effects while in range. Stay out of range, or use an interrupting/disabling attack to knock it off.
    ".... you're gonna have a bad time."
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
    Also be aware that Cruisers and up have a reflector shield that pops up. Cruisers and Battleships only cover one arc, while dreadnaughts cover half of the ship. As soon as you see that pop up, cease fire and get to an arc that isn't covered, otherwise you're attacking yourself.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,309 Arc User
    If you have access to the Vandal, the Aceton Assimilator is quite useful against the voth.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
    You can get an aceton assimilator from the exchange
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    echatty wrote: »
    You can get an aceton assimilator from the exchange

That's Fed side. KDF can get free ones if they have the Vandal.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    Should have clarified Fed, letting them know that they can get the AA too.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Little off topic, but I've actually grown to not like the AA when its used against me. Specifically on my KDF, who for the most part mains a Sarco with Elite Slavers and has 0 Kinetic capability on said ship. Slapped as much Disruptor augmenting stuff on her... ended up with an Energy Torp rather than a Kinetic. And Aceton eats fighters for breakfast.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Little off topic, but I've actually grown to not like the AA when its used against me. Specifically on my KDF, who for the most part mains a Sarco with Elite Slavers and has 0 Kinetic capability on said ship. Slapped as much Disruptor augmenting stuff on her... ended up with an Energy Torp rather than a Kinetic. And Aceton eats fighters for breakfast.
    Aceton Assimilators can also be destroyed by exotic damage.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    Something my Sarco doesn't have.
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Something my Sarco doesn't have.

So i take it you never run Japori with the nausicans there.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
    I run it all the time. And its Gamma Eridon with the Gorn that sometimes has Aceton. Vandals that can appear in Japori spew out Theta Radiation.

Actually... I think the console comes off a Gorn ship. Not a Nausicaan...
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    From the Draguas Support Vessel.
    The Nausican Vandal has the Plasmonic Leech.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    ltminns wrote: »
    From the Draguas Support Vessel.
    The Nausican Vandal has the Plasmonic Leech.

You are correct. Been ages since i acquired both and i got them mixed up.
This discussion has been closed.