test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[PC] Operation: Riposte Featured TFO

Comments

• questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,295 Arc User
    Really 60 days of grinding for a free ship. NO THANKS and probably will only get the 14 day console.

I'm not slave of STO and rather just buy off with cash.
    Then again there is not much in the T6 bunch of ships that interest me. Please make this to be transferred to ZEN rather than limit just ships. Then you probably might get a deal.​​

With the double reward days it's probably between 50 and 55.
    I play a few random TFO's anyway so an extra reward and eventually a starship is not bad. Biggest problem is that there are few ships i am interested in atm.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • captaincelestialcaptaincelestial Member Posts: 1,925 Arc User
    Since I've seen it asked a bunch this morning: This is a brand new TFO, not an updated Gateway to Gre'thor. In the future, if we ever do a reimagined TFO again, I'll let you guys know when we first announce it.

I knew this one sounded familiar, I did a Universal Endeavor last night about completing 'Gateway to Gre'thor' ;)
    Excuse me; I'd just like to ask a question: What does God need with a starship?

No, wait; wrong question.

This T6 coupon that you have to grind out, is it at least an account-wide unlock? Or is it just a single-use, one character only coupon?

Sounded like it was going to be an account-wide unlock for the ship, just like regular C-Store ships. :)
  • dariusturaldariustural Member Posts: 94 Arc User
    I'll pass. Regardless, it is a grind I need a break from. The ships I want are either lobi or gamble box.
  • herrgis#1415 herrgis Member Posts: 76 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    It looks good, and is probably the only way to get a T6 Romulan ship for those who main that faction like I do.

you do realize its just a token to get a ship that's already in the Zen store, right? Not a new ship like the summer giveaway event or something. It's effectively a 3000 zen coupon for 1 free Tier 6 ship.

Zero, some just have a burning need to be outraged at anything offered for free by Cryptic. The Free ship coupon (that you can indeed use to buy a T6 Rom ship) is effectively worth around 1,000,000 REFINED dil (@333 dil per zen) for those that grind dil->zen.

So perhaps some should rethink the value of those TFOs, considering you potentially get the regular rewards 480 dilx60, plus another 50k dil x3, plus 3 console-like rewards - on top of the 1M dil (equivalent)! Some STO players express outrage at the work required to get a free ship, without knowing what actual work is required in each new TFO.

As always, if you don't want the reward, don't do the TFO.

But if I don't do the TFOs ...
    Where shall I go? What shall I do?
    Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn.
    You need to think of Star Trek Online as a marathon, not a sprint. Senlac t'Karveth
    Sometimes the Universe allows for the making of unexpected memories. Philippa Georgiou
    No matter your shame, gather your strength. Find a way to help those in need. Sarek of Vulcan
  • eazzieeazzie Member Posts: 3,963 Arc User
    Really 60 days of grinding for a free ship. NO THANKS and probably will only get the 14 day console.

Then again there is not much in the T6 bunch of ships that interest me. Please make this to be transferred to ZEN rather than limit just ships. Then you probably might get a deal.​​

It won't take 60 days as it says in the blog and in previous posts they will be doing double voucher events too.
    Will the ship tokens be open ended (no limit to when they have to be used?) by this Do they HAVE to be used when you reach 3000, or can they be saved until a specific ship a player wants becomes available? I hope it isn't a use or lose em scenario
  • jacquemarteljacquemartel Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    "This event will also debut a brand new system for Star Trek Online. Earn progress toward a Free Ship by participating each day in the Featured TFO Events that will be running from now until Fall of 2019. By playing these three Events, you can earn Coupon Progress Tokens each day, allowing you to eventually claim a '100% Discount Coupon: Tier 6 Ship' that will allow you claim a free Tier 6 Starship of your choice from the Zen Store."

For me this blog talks about two separate new things, in is somewhat confusing as to how they interact. Does it mean that there will be three events, back to back with one event only available and 21 days of each for a total of 63 days? If so there is no way that 63 days takes into the "Fall of 2019". 63 days is obviously at most July 2019.

So I have to assume, since it says we will have a chance to run this daily (or does it mean 'daily only when an TFO is running') that there will be days when there is no prize granting traditional 21 day TFO, and we will be given a choice of Three Coupon granting TFO, also called Featured in the blog but perhaps more correctly termed Daily Featured?

Or does it mean that they will run only three traditional 21 day events between April 18th and ending on or after September 23rd, the official start of Fall this year?

Or does it mean that there will be a choice of Three featured TFO each day, two or three Daily Featured also granting one chance for coupons, and which would of course include any current 21 day event? So you would have a daily Choice after you finished the current event if any? If you don't have a choice you would build up a huge supply of extra featured TFO tokens, allowing you to finish future 21 day events with one or two runs. I doubt they intend that to happen.

BUT, that would seem over-generous as it would be possible to perhaps score two or three T6 ships as I count 168 days from April 18 to Sept 23 inclusive.

It also seems to me that, assuming only traditional 21 day featured TFO will count, that 168-63 equals 105 days with no Featured TFO which would also seem be highly unlikely. Or will only certain TFO be designated as granting Ship coupons?

Excluding desigantion and exclusion of some TFO from the free ship coupons, in all probability there will be more than just three events to achieve 60 days worth, exclusive of double days. If so we might have 84 or even 105 total days and two ships again becomes a possibility.

Unless there is a hard cap of One Ship.

Sorry for wall of text. Ambassador Kael could we have some Clarification please for us easily confused types?

• vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,826 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    mzrts wrote: »
    I assume the 100% off coupon and/or the daily tickets is one claim per account? 🤔
    ltminns wrote: »
    Any ship you buy in the C-Store will be an Account Unlock for the appropriate Faction.

if these are true statements, I would need to run this thing on 3 toons if i want, say the MW bundle, and an additional three if I want both KDF and Fed... correct?

also, can we use the coupon to buy a lower tier ship (though I can't imagine why?)
    Spock.jpg

• duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    lowestlvl wrote: »
    anyone remember when we were explorers?

Here's hoping for some future expansion of sector block content. This is our 3rd consecutive TFO and even within the bounds of non-episodic content there's other things they could try to headline multiweek player engagement events (including activities which could nominally count as exploration.)
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    this grind is somewhat offensive to me. playing 14 days x 3 TFO should give enough for the token. It's a pretty big ask as it is. Talking around 5 months for 1 free ship! Maybe if there are many bonus days and it gets us close then O K. because a free ship token is like not much of a prize really for us old timers.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    this grind is somewhat offensive to me. playing 14 days x 3 TFO should give enough for the token. It's a pretty big ask as it is. Talking around 5 months for 1 free ship! Maybe if there are many bonus days and it gets us close then O K. because a free ship token is like not much of a prize really for us old timers.

It's an added bonus. By itself the token doesn't justify 5 months of grinding but if you're playing through this content anyway it helps take the pressure off of obsessively grinding for dilithium->zen for T6 ships. For new players this is going to be a pretty accessible and casual way of getting their first T6 c-store ship. (basically buffering against the daunting scale of the dil->zen grind on a single character with causal playtime.)

Provided Cryptic isn't going to be taking this as a central mechanic to keep players in game I think the long term effect is more or less just going to be a new nicety (though hopefully this is the end of the added skinner box mechanics for a while, between this and personal endeavors the game is starting to take on a very different feel and while I can appreciate what this is going to offer newer players there's still more to do with STO's creative, narrative, and gameplay systems.)
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    And sixty days to grind out a ship? I can get a T6 ship in less than a third of that time with dil to Zen trading.

We had a similar disagreement in an "Old Red Alerts vs New Red Alerts" thread just the other day. It probably is a question of whether you want stuff to happen quickly in terms of time spent in game, or of time passing in real life. 1 million zen as an equivalent way of gathering 3000 zen (which admittedly are more versatile than a ship 100% discount) over 60 days means 16.667 dil/day, so two full refinings plus a small bit. Can you do it in the time it takes to do the TFO? May depend on the TFO's design, but generally I think 1k dil/min would be hard to keep up (maybe I have the wrong techniques because I don't farm that massively). Also, as repetitive as doing the same TFO over and over again gets, it ain't as bad as flying around to the same spots and clicking admiralty and doffing for the same amount of time.

And we should not forget two things about this:

(a) regular rewards are still on. So 14 days of a TFO won't just give you 700 vouchers, but still all the dil, Featured TFO stuff, and marks as if this wasn't a thing. The only thing that has changed is that - depending on how doubles and other stuff plays out - you're not done with the TFOs after 14 days. Considering that the dil and marks reward goes up once you turned in the main mission, it may not be that bad a deal.

(b) this is not a ship we get but a ship voucher for a Z Store T6. Which is a double edged sword. For old timers and spenders it is not as interesting, since we (I do) probably already own any ship we're interested in, so it'll be a meh ship with a meh trait and a meh console at best, featuring an admiralty card we don't need anymore because we have 100+ cards, enough to serve anything the game throws at us. At the same time, players who are newer and/or do not have the resources to spend are able to not only get a T6 ship but a T6 ship of their choice, no confinement to a cruiser because that's what it is this event.

But yeah, in the end it won't be interesting for everybody. What I wonder however is how some people seem to take anything as an insult if it doesn't fit their specific needs.
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • dirlettiadirlettia Member Posts: 1,632 Arc User
    While some people may relish events like the free T6 event over the next 3 TFO's, I personally am turned away from games like this. If I cannot see from the outset what is required I tend to just class the reward as unobtainable and so dont even start it. I would always assume the worst that I would need to run the entire 60/63 days as even if there are bonus days there is no guarantee I would even be able to run on those as I cannot always get on at weekends when bonus days usually occur.

Still waiting to be able to use forum titles
  • frtoasterfrtoaster Member Posts: 3,352 Arc User

I agree. Instead of a coupon for a single T6 ship, they should just give us the equivalent in Zen. That way, we can spend it on whatever we want from the C-Store: a single T6 ship, multiple T1-T5 ships (like this guy wants), a ship pack, or anything else in the C-Store.
    Waiting for a programmer ...
    qVpg1km.png
  • zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Member Posts: 14,761 Arc User
    lowestlvl wrote: »
    moar power to grind buckets.

anyone remember when we were explorers?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7xvi6GL9Fk
    f5cc65bc8f3b91f963e328314df7c48d.jpg
    Sig? What sig? I don't see any sig.
  • zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Member Posts: 14,761 Arc User
    genhauk wrote: »

Agreed. Glad they are giving this as a free alternative, but ... also glad I already own all the ships I'm interested in from the C-store.

I own the Resolute - What else does anyone need. :wink:
    f5cc65bc8f3b91f963e328314df7c48d.jpg
    Sig? What sig? I don't see any sig.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    > @herrgis#1415 said:
    > Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn.

If you're going to invoke that do it right. :)

https://youtu.be/xLnTWxpTQt4
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    "This event will also debut a brand new system for Star Trek Online. Earn progress toward a Free Ship by participating each day in the Featured TFO Events that will be running from now until Fall of 2019. By playing these three Events, you can earn Coupon Progress Tokens each day, allowing you to eventually claim a '100% Discount Coupon: Tier 6 Ship' that will allow you claim a free Tier 6 Starship of your choice from the Zen Store."

For me this blog talks about two separate new things, in is somewhat confusing as to how they interact. Does it mean that there will be three events, back to back with one event only available and 21 days of each for a total of 63 days? If so there is no way that 63 days takes into the "Fall of 2019". 63 days is obviously at most July 2019.

So I have to assume, since it says we will have a chance to run this daily (or does it mean 'daily only when an TFO is running') that there will be days when there is no prize granting traditional 21 day TFO, and we will be given a choice of Three Coupon granting TFO, also called Featured in the blog but perhaps more correctly termed Daily Featured?

Or does it mean that they will run only three traditional 21 day events between April 18th and ending on or after September 23rd, the official start of Fall this year?

Or does it mean that there will be a choice of Three featured TFO each day, two or three Daily Featured also granting one chance for coupons, and which would of course include any current 21 day event? So you would have a daily Choice after you finished the current event if any? If you don't have a choice you would build up a huge supply of extra featured TFO tokens, allowing you to finish future 21 day events with one or two runs. I doubt they intend that to happen.

BUT, that would seem over-generous as it would be possible to perhaps score two or three T6 ships as I count 168 days from April 18 to Sept 23 inclusive.

It also seems to me that, assuming only traditional 21 day featured TFO will count, that 168-63 equals 105 days with no Featured TFO which would also seem be highly unlikely. Or will only certain TFO be designated as granting Ship coupons?

Excluding desigantion and exclusion of some TFO from the free ship coupons, in all probability there will be more than just three events to achieve 60 days worth, exclusive of double days. If so we might have 84 or even 105 total days and two ships again becomes a possibility.

Sorry for wall of text. Ambassador Kael could we have some Clarification please for us easily confused types?

Okay so the way I understand how it is the following.

- Starting from Thursday, we'll be able to start earning the 50 TFO coupons. You can earn 50 once every 20 hours. For most, they will likely end up with 1050 tokens after this first one is over. However, there are going to be some that may be able to time it right and do the bonus days which will grant 100 coupons instead of 50. So it'll lessen the time.

- Since they know not everyone can play 7 days a week, they have the plan going to allow players part take in many TFO events they plan on running, allowing even more casual players to finish them by fall.

Keep in mind, this will be the third overall TFO that they have ran now (we've had Pahvo Dissension, a week break, Peril over Pahvo, another week break and then Operation Riposte, which likely after we'll get a week break from.

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
  • phoenix841phoenix841 Member Posts: 486 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    RIP the days of solo storyline content.
    Having to deal with trolls and AFKers on a daily basis is not what I want to do.

For the record, I thought of Gateway to Grethor when I read that blog post too.

Also, will these coupon build up thingies expire when the event system is completed in the fall, or will they remain for the next time this happens? Note, I don't mean the coupon itself, I assume that has no expiration, but I mean the daily tokens.

I don't mind waiting a while if I can build up multiple coupons and buy an entire ship pack with it, like the T6 battlecruiser bundle.
    LTS Since Beta (Jan 2010).
  • jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,788 Arc User
    60 days in total grind for a T6 C-Store ship... Nah! If it was for my choice of any lock box ship that was account bound upon completion. I'd be interested.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    While I also don't like the shift away from story missions.. I will say that I appreciate the fact that Cryptic has introduced a method to get a free T6 ship from the store.

This option might not apply to long time players who already have a ton of C-Store ships, but for new players looking to get that first nice ship.. it's a good system. Yes, it takes a couple months.. but it's still free and I think that it will be a feature that new players will appreciate.

I will play this new queue for the 14 day reward because I am a sucker for the 'exclusive' rewards. Then after day 14 I will likely be burned out and done with it just like usual.. then it's on to the wait for the next one.

Still, it's something.. and I appreciate it. I honestly do really miss the more frequent episode updates though.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Personally I'm glad to have a monetarily free way to get my hands on the T6 ship i've been drooling over for a while. Glad to see that the queue isn't just a reskinned Gateway to Gre'thor. I was worried as I was reading the blog, since they sounded so similar. Keeping my chin up and eyes forward
    Lore posts are great, but give us real info first please!
    ltminns wrote: »
    I'll need to wait for that new T6 in the C-Store as I have them all already.

Well, at least we had a week downtime before another Event. :)

Considering there's going to be approx. 3 Featured TFO's

The progress is across your account, probably as a progress bar. It would take about three Featured TFOs to earn the free ship coupon (I think it should have been called Ship Replicator Rations rather than Free Ship Coupons). Three weeks equals 21 days, so if you were to do three sets of Featured TFOs, and there was to be no X2 days, it would take the three weeks, minus three days to earn a new ship.

Mind you, considering the progress bar, the three extra days would count towards the next 3000 Zen. Which would make it a good idea to try to get those extra days in, if you could.

Plus, with the progress bar, even if you aren't able to play every day, at least the work you've done earlier won't be lost in the ether.
    phoenix841 wrote: »
    RIP the days of solo storyline content.
    Having to deal with trolls and AFKers on a daily basis is not what I want to do.

For the record, I thought of Gateway to Grethor when I read that blog post too.

Also, will these coupon build up thingies expire when the event system is completed in the fall, or will they remain for the next time this happens? Note, I don't mean the coupon itself, I assume that has no expiration, but I mean the daily tokens.

I don't mind waiting a while if I can build up multiple coupons and buy an entire ship pack with it, like the T6 battlecruiser bundle.

So far, there was two solo storyline episodes/TFOs.

They'd like to see how this works (goodness knows there may be some bugs in the system when it goes live), and how it is received by the community.

The progress bar should continue, afterwards, unless it was agreed to end this system.
    jcsww wrote: »
    60 days in total grind for a T6 C-Store ship... Nah! If it was for my choice of any lock box ship that was account bound upon completion. I'd be interested.

No it won't be a total of 60 days. They have said (and posted here numerous times) they will be having double token events too.
  • foxman00foxman00 Member Posts: 1,475 Arc User
    eazzie wrote: »
    jcsww wrote: »

No it won't be a total of 60 days. They have said (and posted here numerous times) they will be having double token events too.
    soooooo, 30 days? 45, great.

Kael said that if somebody was dedicated, and hit every double token period (dont expect it to be constant) you could get your free T6 c store coupon ship within 2 Featured TFO runs. Since technically most runs are 21 days x 2 = 42. We will know more details as the events start to run and we get through our first featured TFO (making it early May) which should start to give us accurate numbers or potential timeframe.

Additionally, Cryptic said this is a trial run to see how the player base likes or dislikes this system. Just so everyone is aware, even if everyone likes it, its potentially possible Cryptic will only make it a once off.

Not that they hate us, or want to TRIBBLE with us. But, if the system is not financially sustainable, it might go away. So, I recommend to everyone keep the feedback coming. Here's hoping the system is well designed enough that it can keep going, without affecting cryptic's bottom line. As it would be a win win for everyone.
    pjxgwS8.jpg