test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Let's Hypothesize about the DSC Constitution!

Comments

• neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    valoreah wrote: »
    jagdtier44 wrote: »
    Cryptic - These ship licenses are expensive, and these people just shelled out tons on the dreadnoughts. Lets put the Connies in the RD box for max $$

Were this true, Cryptic would have tossed it into the very first R&D or Lockbox back in 2012. The T6 TOS Connie was not released until 2016.

Or do you believe Cryptic execs sat around saying "let's pass up a lot of money just because"?

More Cryptic waited for a perfect opportunity to see how they preform before putting a T6 Connie in game, why would they throw all their eggs in one basket for the short term whebn they are playing the long game
    GwaoHAD.png
  • jaturnleyjaturnley Member Posts: 1,218 Arc User
    It was said over and over that CBS was blocking them from making an end-game Connie. What changed in 2016 was CBS now wanted to promote their upcoming new show(s), and allowing it then both celebrated the anniversary and accomplished their PR goal. The exact same thing happened when the KT ships were added to the game - Paramount was suddenly willing to allow their property to be used once it was useful as a cross promotion for one of their movies.

Once you start thinking of this stuff from a business perspective, it gets pretty clear.

The DisConnie and DiscoD7 are in a different boat - they have the rights to put them out whenever they want, but they wanted to wait for the end of the season so they could make sure any cool stuff that happens during the show could be added if they felt like it. Same with the Section 31 ships.
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,112 Arc User
    Hopefully with less glare and not so shiny, I'd have to play wearing sunglasses.

I'd be for toning down the shininess too. Doesn't quite look "lived in" to me.
    ^^^
    Well, remember - per the ST: D storyline it just had a major refit/repair job completed at ESD. IE- I'm sure they gave it a wash and a wax inside and out. ;)
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    The original was no T5 (end-game at the time). That eventually became T6.

[Start Alternate Reality]
    Les Moonves was violently opposed to an end-game Constitution and the Executive Board of CBS at their weekly Board meetings had that on the Agenda. They eventually relented after the 50th Anniversary, saw the $$$$, and decreed R&D Promotion only.

This whole kerfuffle caused such bad blood between Moonves and the Board that they set him up to move him out. CBS stock prices were hanging in the balance because of that end-game Constitution.
    [End Alternate Reality] :)

Of course, having a more readily available end-game Constitution that would surpress other Ship sales was far from anyone's mind. ;)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    There is a lot of urban legend, myth, and made up facts regarding CBS allowing an end game connie in STO. The only actual statement(s) the devs made on the issue were:

1: STO was set in 2409, and CBS didn't want to allow an end game connie due to the ship being so old in STO's time period.

2: They also made some comment about CBS not wanting a connie to be able to destroy a Borg cube.

Other that those 2 general statements, all of the other stuff you might read is simply conjecture. Granted, it might be conjecture based on other statements about potentially related things (such as lock box ships are ships that are supposed to be rare), but those 2 statement above are all that the devs ever said about the connie specifically.

So, what changed? Well, the main thing was when STO did the "Agents of Yesterday" expansion and we suddenly had TOS-era ships at end game by calling them "temporal ships" (aka not really old ships, but future ships that just looked like old ships). Plus, by the time AOY came around there were other Trek games (like Timelines) that had connies as end game level ships blowing up other (much newer) end game level ships.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,664 Arc User
    There is a lot of urban legend, myth, and made up facts regarding CBS allowing an end game connie in STO. The only actual statement(s) the devs made on the issue were:

1: STO was set in 2409, and CBS didn't want to allow an end game connie due to the ship being so old in STO's time period.

2: They also made some comment about CBS not wanting a connie to be able to destroy a Borg cube.

Other that those 2 general statements, all of the other stuff you might read is simply conjecture. Granted, it might be conjecture based on other statements about potentially related things (such as lock box ships are ships that are supposed to be rare), but those 2 statement above are all that the devs ever said about the connie specifically.

So, what changed? Well, the main thing was when STO did the "Agents of Yesterday" expansion and we suddenly had TOS-era ships at end game by calling them "temporal ships" (aka not really old ships, but future ships that just looked like old ships). Plus, by the time AOY came around there were other Trek games (like Timelines) that had connies as end game level ships blowing up other (much newer) end game level ships.

1: So, CBS consists of nerds with obsessive compulsiveness? *eye roll*
    2: Anything can blow up a Borg Cube these days.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • jagdtier44jagdtier44 Member Posts: 376 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    Cryptic - These ship licenses are expensive, and these people just shelled out tons on the dreadnoughts. Lets put the Connies in the RD box for max $$

Were this true, Cryptic would have tossed it into the very first R&D or Lockbox back in 2012. The T6 TOS Connie was not released until 2016.

Or do you believe Cryptic execs sat around saying "let's pass up a lot of money just because"?

I believe more that the license for the TOS connie costs a metric F-ton of cash and Cryptic wasn't willing to pony up for it for a T6 version till they had proven the RD packs sold like hot cakes with the dreadnoughts they put in them than rolled the dice on the Connie in 2016

CBS has had ZERO issue allowing people to license anything Star Trek to do what they want with it as long as the $$ is there. It's been stated Disc COULD be using canon designs if they wanted to shell out the $$ for it but they don't want to so have tinkered with the looks instead. It's why you see closer accurate TOS uniforms in the last movie, it's why you see canon looking schematics in Disc.. it's all about the $$$ Les Moonves could care less what Cryptic did with it in terms of STO

If we wanna go down this route, bad robot did JJ verse.. the JJ Connie is in the lockbox, starting in july. The TOS connie was rolled out in sept that same year in the RD box.

Fast forward to today and we're seeing the Discovery in the RD boxes.. hmm its still from bad robot.. its still not the connie buuuut.. its in the RD box.. was it stated that JJ demanded it be a RARE ship? that CBS came in going nope nope nope! It HAS to be rare even though it's not a CBS property..

OR have they realized they can stuff them in the RD boxes for more money? If the JJ connie was coming out soon like the disc Connie is, would you go oh no it's gonna be RD box or would you still think it would be a lockbox ship?

Or do you honestly want me to believe CBS wants the Connie to be rare when everyone, their mother and their uncle. every noob ever can run around in a t1 connie? oooh right THAT ones is ok because it's T1 riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight
  • centurian821centurian821 Member Posts: 274 Arc User
    Anywaaaaay... What Specialization seating would you like to see with the DSC Connie? That is if it is going to have them, which it probably will.

Pilot might be funny, but Miracle Worker would probably be most appropriate and really what I'm hoping for.
  • jagdtier44jagdtier44 Member Posts: 376 Arc User
    Anywaaaaay... What Specialization seating would you like to see with the DSC Connie? That is if it is going to have them, which it probably will.

Pilot might be funny, but Miracle Worker would probably be most appropriate and really what I'm hoping for.

I would imagine MW and Intel, though they might stick TO in there as well so possibly MW TO

I believe more that the license for the TOS connie costs a metric F-ton of cash and Cryptic wasn't willing to pony up for it for a T6 version till they had proven the RD packs sold like hot cakes with the dreadnoughts they put in them than rolled the dice on the Connie in 2016

I am 100% certain it does NOT work that way, at all.

First, Cryptic does not pay to use individual ships. Cryptic pays to use the Trek license which by default gives them permission to use ANYthing in Trek that CBS owns(unless CBS decides to veto some specific thing, for some specific reason). As far as money goes, CBS probably gets some percentage of the game's total revenue, but not tied to specific ships or purchases.

Second, even IF it worked the way you think (which it doesn't), Cryptic already had the license since the connie was already in game. And if they already had the license, they would not have to go and get it again to make a higher level version. That is nonsense logic. But again, it does NOT work that way.

All of that said, the decision to put the connie in the R&D pack was clearly about making the absolute most money possible. And I have no problem with that, since we're talking about a business AND people have a way to get these things without actually spending their own real money (like I did, and am about to do again when the disco connie comes out).

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,112 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    ^^^
    Right...that's why the game LAUNCHED with a T1 version of the Connie (that's still available today) as a pre-order perk/item. CBS hold license to the full Star Trek IP. Crypric didn't have to 'pony up' anything extra. When the game launched, CBS had a very particular idea of what they wanted in game, and they made their edicts known to Cryptic at that time.

But like everything, times change and with the TOS era being front and center of late, CBS' opinions (and edicts) changed. Hell they also didn't want to Enetrprise J in game years ago; but it's in game now.

Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • slifox#0768 slifox Member Posts: 379 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    (Vulgar/Inappropriate comments and illegal activities moderated out. - BMR)
    Post edited by baddmoonrizin on
    edited April 2019
    (Vulgar/Inappropriate comments and illegal activities moderated out. - BMR).

That's the thing; you could have taken that same money, bought he boxes, then sold them on the exchange for EC and had enough EC to buy the ship on the exchange. You had the option to get the ship without gambling.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • slifox#0768 slifox Member Posts: 379 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    > @thegrandnagus1 said:
    > tacticoolfugga#9235 wrote: »
    >
    > (Vulgar/Inappropriate comments and illegal activities moderated out. - BMR).
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > That's the thing; you could have taken that same money, bought he boxes, then sold them on the exchange for EC and had enough EC to buy the ship on the exchange. You had the option to get the ship without gambling.

Yeah, I’m drinking, cooking, and am bitter with the RD packs. And that’s not all that money at once by the way. It might have been 20-60 here or there. The odds are to take your money. I’d rather pay for seasons!
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited April 2019

CBS has had ZERO issue allowing people to license anything Star Trek to do what they want with it as long as the $$ is there. It's been stated Disc COULD be using canon designs if they wanted to shell out the $$ for it but they don't want to so have tinkered with the looks instead. It's why you see closer accurate TOS uniforms in the last movie, it's why you see canon looking schematics in Disc.. it's all about the $$$ Les Moonves could care less what Cryptic did with it in terms of STO

If we wanna go down this route, bad robot did JJ verse.. the JJ Connie is in the lockbox, starting in july. The TOS connie was rolled out in sept that same year in the RD box.

Fast forward to today and we're seeing the Discovery in the RD boxes.. hmm its still from bad robot.. its still not the connie buuuut.. its in the RD box.. was it stated that JJ demanded it be a RARE ship? that CBS came in going nope nope nope! It HAS to be rare even though it's not a CBS property..

OR have they realized they can stuff them in the RD boxes for more money? If the JJ connie was coming out soon like the disc Connie is, would you go oh no it's gonna be RD box or would you still think it would be a lockbox ship?

Or do you honestly want me to believe CBS wants the Connie to be rare when everyone, their mother and their uncle. every noob ever can run around in a t1 connie? oooh right THAT ones is ok because it's T1 riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight

It has nothing to do with CBS.. it never has. That's just something that one or two people continue to spew based on one thing someone said years ago that was unfounded even then. There is not now, nor has there ever been any real proof that CBS has anything at all to do with the way ships are distributed in STO, much less that they license them on a 'per ship' basis.

The ship will be an R&D ship because.. money. The ship is a gold mine, and that's why it will be in a box.

That is the one and only reason.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,310 Community Moderator
    Y'all are derailing this thread with this talk about ship distribution. The OP started this thread to discuss the ship itself and how it might be set up. Not so a bunch of malcontents can complain about the way ships are distributed. Stay on topic. Thank you.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,310 Community Moderator
    :unamused:
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
    If they're smart.. they'll make it a 5/3 layout and make it a full Miracle Worker ship.

If they add a powerful trait on top of that they'll likely make enough to sustain them the rest of the year.

I won't buy it either way, I am just not a fan of the Constitution class.. but I am expecting that much like it's temporal cousin.. it will be a DPS oriented ship to drive that demand up even higher.
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    If they're smart.. they'll make it a 5/3 layout and make it a full Miracle Worker ship.

If they add a powerful trait on top of that they'll likely make enough to sustain them the rest of the year.

I won't buy it either way, I am just not a fan of the Constitution class.. but I am expecting that much like it's temporal cousin.. it will be a DPS oriented ship to drive that demand up even higher.

Yep, that sounds about right.

A year or two back I made the mistake to get the Constitution in the hope of mixing DPS with some “style” or at least “vanity” flair to it for the Temporal (TOS) recruit. The ship turned out to be a disappointment as it was unable to slot dual cannons when the meta (rules) shifted (changed).

I’m really curious if they feel eager to make it another blunt DPS release ala Juggernaut or bet only on the Trek nerd canon card as they did with the Mirror Crossfield.

My wealth in game permits me to go for it if I want to, my past experience however does not make want to.

Good part for us is that if it aims to outperform our Gargarin/Sheppard or the Vanguard Warship it will need to be damn good. :)
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated

A year or two back I made the mistake to get the Constitution in the hope of mixing DPS with some “style” or at least “vanity” flair to it for the Temporal (TOS) recruit. The ship turned out to be a disappointment as it was unable to slot dual cannons when the meta (rules) shifted (changed).

I’m really curious if they feel eager to make it another blunt DPS release ala Juggernaut or bet only on the Trek nerd canon card as they did with the Mirror Crossfield.

My wealth in game permits me to go for it if I want to, my past experience however does not make want to.

Good part for us is that if it aims to outperform our Gargarin/Sheppard or the Vanguard Warship it will need to be damn good. :)

You know.. I have always wondered why I didn't see more Temporal Connies out there in the queues.. and now I know why. I just always assumed that the ship could use Cannons.. I honestly never even considered that it can't.

This is a tough one, because the Constitution Class has an established canon.. and as we all know, that class ship does not use Cannon style weapons, it uses beams and torps.

However, they have nerfed beams to the point where ships that can't mount dual cannons are far less desirable.. so it will be interesting to see what direction Cryptic goes here. There are canon ships that don't run Dual Cannons on screen that can do it in game (Yamato, Shepard, Europa) it will be interesting to see if they break with canon here to make the ship more desirable.
  • centurian821centurian821 Member Posts: 274 Arc User
    What about a MW & Command combo? Seems appropriate to her status and role. I've not messed around with MW powers very much as I've not the time to level out the tree. Would those powers mesh well?
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,664 Arc User

You know.. I have always wondered why I didn't see more Temporal Connies out there in the queues.. and now I know why. I just always assumed that the ship could use Cannons.. I honestly never even considered that it can't.

This is a tough one, because the Constitution Class has an established canon.. and as we all know, that class ship does not use Cannon style weapons, it uses beams and torps.

However, they have nerfed beams to the point where ships that can't mount dual cannons are far less desirable.. so it will be interesting to see what direction Cryptic goes here. There are canon ships that don't run Dual Cannons on screen that can do it in game (Yamato, Shepard, Europa) it will be interesting to see if they break with canon here to make the ship more desirable.

Well, my main character uses it, has been for the past three years, it's been awesome for me :)
    Was not much of a cannon girl, but my NX uses em alright.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • westx211westx211 Member Posts: 42,214 Arc User

Well, my main character uses it, has been for the past three years, it's been awesome for me :)

Despite the beam nerfs I still find beams just much more enjoyable than cannons for me, just feels more at home and I hate the whole super narrow arcs to damage stuff. Some of the pilot ships I can enjoy using cannons on like the Dx4 and the Disco BoP but honestly even then I still just prefer beams. Beams can still hit high dps and they're easier and more fun to use imo.
    Men are not punished for their sins, but by them.
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    (Off topic, derailing comments moderated out. - BMR)
    GwaoHAD.png
    westx211 wrote: »

Despite the beam nerfs I still find beams just much more enjoyable than cannons for me, just feels more at home and I hate the whole super narrow arcs to damage stuff. Some of the pilot ships I can enjoy using cannons on like the Dx4 and the Disco BoP but honestly even then I still just prefer beams. Beams can still hit high dps and they're easier and more fun to use imo.

I don't disagree with you, it's not like beams are totally worthless.

I would just think that they want to market this ship to as large of a selection of the player base as possible, and there are those that won't buy a ship that can't run dual cannons (I am one of them.)

The ship is going to sell either way, that's a given. This will be a big money maker for Cryptic, but stats wise I am just curious if they'll try and 'check all the boxes' or if they're rely more on pure aesthetics and keep the stats more normalized.

If it were up to me, I would make it a powerhouse.. try and get as much demand as possible, but that's me. It's Temporal Predecessor already has the sought after 5/3 layout.. just add support for Dual Cannons and this thing will really be desirable. It would however, lose that 'canon' feel with dual cannons.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    I hate to say this but, let's not. You know they are going to disappoint in the end. ;)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
This discussion has been closed.