test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Which quote best describes your feeling about the announced closure of the Foundry?

theyredeadjimtheyredeadjim Member Posts: 243 Arc User
The death of the Foundry marks a significant time in Star Trek Online. I believe that the Foundry is something special to its players, particularly those who are long in the tooth with respect to the game. I know that the Foundry kept me from quitting the game some years back.

So...knowing that any effort to save it is doomed, I ask you to to choose between poets:
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Which quote best describes your feeling about the announced closure of the Foundry? 26 votes

T.S. Eliot: This is the way the world ends... Not with a bang but with a whimper.
34%
garaks31mattjohnsonvanagoraklordmalak1ichaerus1warmonger360nrobbiecmckurland91srsfleetarmada 9 votes
Dylan Thomas: Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
65%
theyredeadjimcastsbugcnynikbenalexanderjackson900pwethay8472crm14916commanderspock0aspartan1starswordctbisstartrekronsophia#6343fullmetalaviator#9834messicrafter#6700wingedhussar#7584mikecobalt#1974 17 votes

Comments

• garaks31garaks31 Member Posts: 2,845 Arc User
    T.S. Eliot: This is the way the world ends... Not with a bang but with a whimper.
    Judgment Day is inevitable ...

• pendra37#5088 pendra37 Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited March 2019
  • ichaerus1ichaerus1 Member Posts: 986 Arc User
    It will end in a whimper. STO isn't able to handle something like this.
    This was a protest for CoH being shuttered years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRsj2DtLCQs
  • nagoraknagorak Member Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    I'd say with a whimper, because the truth is this was a long time coming. Cryptic never really respected the work of Foundry authors by adequately supporting and maintaining the tool. This is just the end result of that disrespect.

And also they're probably right that a lot of the player base doesn't care about the Foundry. Part of that is because they never tried to make them care, but it is what it is now. A lot of people will not miss it. Some people certainly will, but a lot more won't.

At this point in time what I don't understand is why did they even put the Foundry in to begin with? Almost from the start it was placed on the back burner. It never reached a stable, fully finished state. So, why did they even start the project? The whole saga is both tragic and bizarre.
  • nagoraknagorak Member Posts: 882 Arc User
    ichaerus1 wrote: »

I'm not sure STO can even handle that many people in a single instance. :(

• ashstorm1ashstorm1 Member Posts: 679 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    That's all i have to say : https://youtube.com/watch?v=Ubw5N8iVDHI
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    Dylan Thomas: Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
    I prefer this one:
    you-have-dishonored-your-house.jpg
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • messicrafter#6700 messicrafter Member Posts: 49 Arc User
    starswordc wrote: »
    I prefer this one:

The image is not showing for me
    enjin-1234688-19630790-gray.png
    =/\= Member of Star trek Roleplayers and Former Foundry Author in training. =/\=
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    starswordc wrote: »
    I prefer this one:

The image is not showing for me

Gah, not again. Jesus, PWE, get some real forum software already! https://memegenerator.net/instance/67917191/klingon-daddy-you-have-dishonored-your-house
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • messicrafter#6700 messicrafter Member Posts: 49 Arc User
    @starswordc, thanks, and that is true!
    :D
    enjin-1234688-19630790-gray.png
    =/\= Member of Star trek Roleplayers and Former Foundry Author in training. =/\=
  • ichaerus1ichaerus1 Member Posts: 986 Arc User
    nagorak wrote: »
    ichaerus1 wrote: »

I'm not sure STO can even handle that many people in a single instance. :(

It can't. The most I've seen ever packed into an instance in STO wouldn't come close to sniffing at the 100 player mark. That was over 3000 players at Atlas Park. The Rogue Isles(the villain area) and Praetoria(the area for Going Rogue expansion) also were stuffed like this as well, across the servers. What's funny, is that CoH/CoV was originally a Cryptic Studios game, I believe. Had something like 10 servers to it. Then Paragon Studios took over, and made the game better, until NCSoft shut everything down.
  • nrobbiecnrobbiec Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    I feel the TS Elliot one describes the Foundry's end not the end of STO. I mean it was perpetually broke and wasnt that user friendly. And while it offered a lot of fun and outlets for excess creativity to varying degrees. It got less appealing over time for me and slowly faded out of existence. And the sad truth is probably the majority of people playing the game forget the foundry exists or ignore it altogether.
This discussion has been closed.