test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Possible addition for April 5, 2020?

ev1taev1ta Member Posts: 42 Arc User
Hi. I do love the almost ridiculous April Fools in-game joke with the Artisanal Sound System.

However, with much discussion with friends--I would like to propose a minor upgrade.

Can there be a BEEP BEEP BEEP, when attempting to reverse a ship? These are not small cars after all, and it would only be polite to warn everyone when attempting to reverse.

Option 1.) https://www.doobybrain.com/blog/2016/3/13/why-do-reversing-trucks-not-beep-anymore
Option 2.) It has to be a beep sound sung by someone
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• painfullylargepainfullylarge Member Posts: 174 Arc User
    I'll add that the Dabo wheel could use some sound upgrades too. Dabo spins should have some kind of alternate sound too. Perhaps something like a stick dragging along a fence or a playing card in a bicycle wheel--of course as imitated by a person. Even Leeta's dialogue could be "upgraded".
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    ev1ta wrote: »
    Hi. I do love the almost ridiculous April Fools in-game joke with the Artisanal Sound System.

However, with much discussion with friends--I would like to propose a minor upgrade.

Can there be a BEEP BEEP BEEP, when attempting to reverse a ship? These are not small cars after all, and it would only be polite to warn everyone when attempting to reverse.

Option 1.) https://www.doobybrain.com/blog/2016/3/13/why-do-reversing-trucks-not-beep-anymore
    Option 2.) It has to be a beep sound sung by someone

beep, beep. "warning this vehicle is reversing!".

how can sound travel through space without some form of pressure for sound to bounce around in?
    Better off having a flashing rear light instead. at least you can see that. :tongue:
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • snowwolf#0563 snowwolf Member Posts: 1,018 Arc User
    Don't see why the developers should spend more time on these silly sounds when there is little manpower to fix age old bugs and glitches. Let alone test said fixes or most new features they do add, messing around with this system will undoubtedly break something else..
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    I'd like to see the Artesinal Sounds more often myself. Say like on Halloween, New Year, possibly just a random day of the year other than April Fools.

After all, they can be turned off if you don't like them.

I love them myself. April Fools on STO is the highlight of my year. I never laughed so much in the time I played any other day of the year and I thank the devs for that.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    Don't see why the developers should spend more time on these silly sounds when there is little manpower to fix age old bugs and glitches. Let alone test said fixes or most new features they do add, messing around with this system will undoubtedly break something else..

Same old, same old ... classic complaint on any game, and well known on STO. As is the answer: those are different people with different jobs altogether. And god (or other deity of choice, or non-deity if you prefer that) help you if the guys responsible for sound start meddling in bug fixes. That would probably the only time allowed to spell "doom" on the forums.
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    xyquarze wrote: »

Same old, same old ... classic complaint on any game, and well known on STO. As is the answer: those are different people with different jobs altogether. And god (or other deity of choice, or non-deity if you prefer that) help you if the guys responsible for sound start meddling in bug fixes. That would probably the only time allowed to spell "doom" on the forums.

It can also be good for healthy developing to have folks work on projects which they enjoy. Constantly fixing bugs and working at high intensity to satisfy the fan's maximum content expectations at minimum time can lead to burnout at worst and an unhappy work environment at least (which isn't where great art, writing, and gameplay most readily takes shape.) I have absolutely no problem with devs doing something because they think it would be fun even if it means that an inconvenience remains in game for a while longer. There's always the matter of priorities and greatest benefits but as a collective gaming culture I think there's an argument to make for easing up and treating devs more like people and less like servants indentured to our expectations (imagine telling Asimov that he needs to put everything down and sort out the grammar in Foundation. Different media and scales but the fan-creator relationship in gaming has definitely taken a different route.)

Ie. Bug fixes are good but it's good to balance them against collectively fun side projects for which an Artisanal update could qualify if the devs were so inclined. Kael mentioned it during the last Ten Forward to get more of the new folks in but we'll see what they get up to next year.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
    echatty wrote: »
    I'd like to see the Artesinal Sounds more often myself. Say like on Halloween, New Year, possibly just a random day of the year other than April Fools.

After all, they can be turned off if you don't like them.

I love them myself. April Fools on STO is the highlight of my year. I never laughed so much in the time I played any other day of the year and I thank the devs for that.

oh man.. i just thought of the worst april fools idea in combination with this ever.

Reversing light is a disco ball with flashing lights and all nearby ships crew get on to the hull of their ships and start dancing in eva suits xD
  • marty123#3757 marty123 Member Posts: 670 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    > @mirrorchaos said:
    > ev1ta wrote: »
    >
    > Hi. I do love the almost ridiculous April Fools in-game joke with the Artisanal Sound System.
    >
    > However, with much discussion with friends--I would like to propose a minor upgrade.
    >
    > Can there be a BEEP BEEP BEEP, when attempting to reverse a ship? These are not small cars after all, and it would only be polite to warn everyone when attempting to reverse.
    >
    > Option 1.) https://www.doobybrain.com/blog/2016/3/13/why-do-reversing-trucks-not-beep-anymore
    > Option 2.) It has to be a beep sound sung by someone
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > beep, beep. "warning this vehicle is reversing!".
    >
    > how can sound travel through space without some form of pressure for sound to bounce around in?
    > Better off having a flashing rear light instead. at least you can see that. :tongue:

Actually sound does travel in space: https://www.sciencealert.com/sound-can-travel-through-space-after-all-but-we-can-t-hear-it

https://www.google.com/amp/s/gizmodo.com/there-actually-is-sound-in-outer-space-1738420340/amp

If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Summarized version: perfect vacuums don't exist in nature, thus there is always medium for sound to travel through.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • captaincelestialcaptaincelestial Member Posts: 1,925 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    Hmmmm, maybe when we use the Scan Area, maybe they could do a RADAR sound effects like in Space Balls?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGvblGCD7qM
  • avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    Just add the comical car sounds to ships. I remember Space Quest 5 did something similar.
  • xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    It can also be good for healthy developing to have folks work on projects which they enjoy. Constantly fixing bugs and working at high intensity to satisfy the fan's maximum content expectations at minimum time can lead to burnout at worst and an unhappy work environment at least (which isn't where great art, writing, and gameplay most readily takes shape.) I have absolutely no problem with devs doing something because they think it would be fun even if it means that an inconvenience remains in game for a while longer. There's always the matter of priorities and greatest benefits but as a collective gaming culture I think there's an argument to make for easing up and treating devs more like people and less like servants indentured to our expectations (imagine telling Asimov that he needs to put everything down and sort out the grammar in Foundation. Different media and scales but the fan-creator relationship in gaming has definitely taken a different route.)

Ie. Bug fixes are good but it's good to balance them against collectively fun side projects for which an Artisanal update could qualify if the devs were so inclined. Kael mentioned it during the last Ten Forward to get more of the new folks in but we'll see what they get up to next year.

True. Also, bug fixes hardly give any positive feedback from the players, they will notice it's gone and now things are as they're supposed to be, so people are more content but usually not voicing it. Stuff like this, even with negative feedback added into the mix, does help to see that some players still like what you're doing.
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    Hmmmm, maybe when we use the Scan Area, maybe they could do a RADAR sound effects like in Space Balls?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGvblGCD7qM
    And maybe we could skip transwarp and go straight to ludicrous speed? :D
    > @mirrorchaos said:
    >
    > Hi. I do love the almost ridiculous April Fools in-game joke with the Artisanal Sound System.
    >
    > However, with much discussion with friends--I would like to propose a minor upgrade.
    >
    > Can there be a BEEP BEEP BEEP, when attempting to reverse a ship? These are not small cars after all, and it would only be polite to warn everyone when attempting to reverse.
    >
    > Option 1.) https://www.doobybrain.com/blog/2016/3/13/why-do-reversing-trucks-not-beep-anymore
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > how can sound travel through space without some form of pressure for sound to bounce around in?
    > Better off having a flashing rear light instead. at least you can see that. :tongue:

Actually sound does travel in space: https://www.sciencealert.com/sound-can-travel-through-space-after-all-but-we-can-t-hear-it

https://www.google.com/amp/s/gizmodo.com/there-actually-is-sound-in-outer-space-1738420340/amp

If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

Conjecture and hearsay isn't proof, you got something substantially more solid as proof?

do you know a tree fell at all? are you even aware you know a tree was going to fall at any point in the future?
    stop asking such questions that make no sense if you don't know there was a tree that was on the verge of falling down in the first place.
    Summarized version: perfect vacuums don't exist in nature, thus there is always medium for sound to travel through.

i'm aware of this, moving on.
    avoozuul wrote: »
    Just add the comical car sounds to ships. I remember Space Quest 5 did something similar.

just what we need, horrible horn sounds! :tongue:
    Next thing we'd see are hood ornaments xD
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    'Firefly' had the sounds (none) right in space. Check how they did the transition from atmosphere to space in that show.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    > @mirrorchaos said:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Conjecture and hearsay isn't proof, you got something substantially more solid as proof?

do you know a tree fell at all? are you even aware you know a tree was going to fall at any point in the future?
    stop asking such questions that make no sense if you don't know there was a tree that was on the verge of falling down in the first place.

i'm aware of this, moving on.
    avoozuul wrote: »

just what we need, horrible horn sounds! :tongue:
    Next thing we'd see are hood ornaments xD

Time Wizards… so a wizard did it!
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
This discussion has been closed.