What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Tommy Gun - First Contact Day Reward

Comments

• Options
    fred26291#2759 fred26291 Member Posts: 1,265 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    For me unless this gun is mountable on ALL bridge officers its totally useless to me. I will get it however for stand alone borg combat BUT its useless as a mission weapon.

After getting the Tommy gun it was found that you CANNOT put it on your entire away team making it totally useless as an away team weapon for borg encounters.

After trying the weapon on Defera Prime, it will definately make a good weapon for fighting borg if we could get a full away team with them but since you cant, I filed the gun in the bank to collect dust.
    Post edited by fred26291#2759 on
  • Options
    avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    I am pretty disappointed how the event token pack in the c-store doesn't come with a ultimate upgrade unlike the other event token packs.
  • Options
    saber1973asaber1973a Member Posts: 1,224 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    tomilak wrote: »
    For me unless this gun is mountable on ALL bridge officers its totally useless to me. I will get it however for stand alone borg combat BUT its useless as a mission weapon.

Unless its get changed you can equip all unique gear frem events on all your BOFFs - as long as you do not have the ground gear in your inventory (or in bank - I think) or equipped on your toon, you can reclaim it and just equip it first on all the BOFFs that need it.
    So I got a toon with full away team equipped with the Sompek shields and assault blasts + the armors from last TFO... and that is a new alt, still at level 6.
    Once I get that Tommy gun I will try to make old-style gangster away team >:)
    Edit:
    Hmm… maybe I should name my next alt "Capone"? … No - I like the look of female captains, so it will propably be "Bonnie". B)
  • Options
    uiabuiab Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    saber1973a wrote: »
    Hmm… maybe I should name my next alt "Capone"? … No - I like the look of female captains, so it will propably be "Bonnie". B)

need screenshots or video for inspiration please.
    I'm planing to turn a few toons into a mobster gang, too.
  • Options
    postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    Try movies like public enemies or bugsy malone.
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    Here is a report on the Tommy Gun.

When claimed it is a leveling item (Infinity Symbol). When you put it in for the free upgrade to a Mk level, it comes out at Mk X.

After that it can be upgraded normally but you will start at X. I got it to UR by XII and Epic by XIII.

You will need to equip the Tommy Gun on a Boff. Take Focus off that Boff. You can claim another. But you will not be able to upgrade it off the Infinity Symbol VR. PERIOD. It will not recognize it as upgradable. I logged out and back in and also shut down the client. It is stuck at the way it came.

After that second claim, the Tommy Gun will not be reclaimable again. So you will end up with one fully upgradable as normal, and one that is stuck at the Infinity Symbol VR.

It is an Account Unlock.

The Spec Point is NOT an Item but applies immediately to the Character.

'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    ltminns wrote: »
    Here is a report on the Tommy Gun.

When claimed it is a leveling item (Infinity Symbol). When you put it in for the free upgrade to a Mk level, it comes out at Mk X.

After that it can be upgraded normally but you will start at X. I got it to UR by XII and Epic by XIII.

You will need to equip the Tommy Gun on a Boff. Take Focus off that Boff. You can claim another. But you will not be able to upgrade it off the Infinity Symbol VR. PERIOD. It will not recognize it as upgradable. I logged out and back in and also shut down the client. It is stuck at the way it came.

After that second claim, the Tommy Gun will not be reclaimable again. So you will end up with one fully upgradable as normal, and one that is stuck at the Infinity Symbol VR.

It is an Account Unlock.

The Spec Point is NOT an Item but applies immediately to the Character.
    Yeah they seem to have been working on new tech for this one.

I like the animation.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    Nope, my reaction to that BS would have been to never play an event again, possibly to quit the game altogether.
    This.

Cryptic tried that sort of TRIBBLE with the Borg TFOs back before the rep system where each one gave out a specific tech thing you needed to get the Omega Gear.... everyone hated it and complained because it made it effectively impossible for most people to get said gear.

It did nothing to encourage people to play the TFOs, it just barred most people from getting anything at all. Which is exactly why they changed reputations and other events to be like they are now.
    Demonstrably false. It was the single biggest incentive the game has ever seen, that kept all the STF queues full all times of the day. The second they pulled the unique drops all the ground STF queues went dead overnight, to be run only in private by people wanting the accolades, and pretty much stayed dead until the random queue system.

The rep marks' extreme homogeneity with endless flood of spoilmarks is the primary reason for dead content in the game.
  • Options
    I took the Tommy Gun into Defera last night. As the DPS is a bit low in Primary firing mode it takes a few shots to take a Borg down.

The Secondary Mode is brutal. When I attack a gaggle surrounding a Deferi for assimilation, I throw a Cryo Grenade and spray with the Secondary Mode. Takes everyone down, though I may need a Primary shot or two to finish one or two off.

The animation at the end of the Secondary Mode is great. You bring the gun barrel up pointing into the air.
    A lot of people were on Defera last night slaughtering Borg with the Tommy Guns.

I re-engineered two CritH and got two DMG. Now it is DMGx2, CritDx2, and CritH/DMG.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,318 Arc User
    ltminns wrote: »
    I took the Tommy Gun into Defera last night. As the DPS is a bit low in Primary firing mode it takes a few shots to take a Borg down.

The Secondary Mode is brutal. When I attack a gaggle surrounding a Deferi for assimilation, I throw a Cryo Grenade and spray with the Secondary Mode. Takes everyone down, though I may need a Primary shot or two to finish one or two off.

The animation at the end of the Secondary Mode is great. You bring the gun barrel up pointing into the air.
    A lot of people were on Defera last night slaughtering Borg with the Tommy Guns.

I re-engineered two CritH and got two DMG. Now it is DMGx2, CritDx2, and CritH/DMG.

Defera is one of the Borg ground testing grounds. Ground warzones less so since you have to deal with spawn campers upon entry. Will be getting the gun in 2 days.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    This.

Cryptic tried that sort of TRIBBLE with the Borg TFOs back before the rep system where each one gave out a specific tech thing you needed to get the Omega Gear.... everyone hated it and complained because it made it effectively impossible for most people to get said gear.

It did nothing to encourage people to play the TFOs, it just barred most people from getting anything at all. Which is exactly why they changed reputations and other events to be like they are now.

I'm with @warpangel here. When the tech drops were a thing, no queue was ever 'dead'. Granted, there weren't that much to begin with, but they only were abandoned when the necessity to play them went away. You are grossly over-exaggerating here. Yes, some people made hundreds of runs and didn't get the drop, but they could continue until they did or stop doing them for a while, it wasn't mandatory and was also meant as a kind of "badge of honour" to sport these sets - a Mk XI version was available to everyone, after all (Mk XII was the maximum back then, so purple Mk XI weren't that far behind). Considering that the queues were always full and when the system was changed to effortless window shopping started to be empty I'd say not many "quit" over the matter.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    Why are it and the shotgun sooooooo small?

I think the shotgun is sawed-off in the movie and Tommy guns weren't that big either when they were a thing. Easy to hide, quick to pull out and spray bullets.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • Options
    majorcharvenakmajorcharvenak Member Posts: 227 Arc User
    If they were just bound to account, I'd pick up four more for my boffs. Couple that with some flapper and zoot suit outfits...Straight up Romulan Gangsta! B)
    ~Shia~

Member - Houseclan t'Charvon (STO)
    Shiarrael e'Tal'Aura t'Charvon, LvL 65, Rom Sci
    S'aana ir'Virinat t'Charvon, Lvl 65, Rom Eng
    T'Lyra, LvL 65, Fed, Vul Sci
    Ta'el, Lvl 63, Rom Tac
    Sukima, Lvl 65, Fed Vul Sci

House Miliskeera in exile (NW)
    Sereska Miliskeera, Lvl 70 OP - Devotion (Just.)/Protection (Just.)
    Shizlee Miliskeera, Lvl 70 DC - Divine Oracle (Right.)/Anointed Champion (Faith.)
    Finithey Miliskeera, Lvl 70 HR - Stormwarden (Combat)/Pathfinder (Trapper)
    Maya Sik-Miliskeera, Lvl 70 CW - Spellstorm
    Irae Sik-Miliskeera, Lvl 70 TR - Master Inflitrator
  • Options
    trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
    warpangel wrote: »
    Demonstrably false. It was the single biggest incentive the game has ever seen, that kept all the STF queues full all times of the day. The second they pulled the unique drops all the ground STF queues went dead overnight, to be run only in private by people wanting the accolades, and pretty much stayed dead until the random queue system.

The rep marks' extreme homogeneity with endless flood of spoilmarks is the primary reason for dead content in the game.
    Except THIS is demonstrably false.

The Borg ground TFOs were still dead constantly because they sucked, and people only played them when they could buy off one or two of the people who extorted money from the weaker players to run them through said TFOs in the hope of getting the drop.

It was the worst sort of .000001% drop rate TRIBBLE from other MMOs.

Wrong. The Borg queues remained dead, because no one knew how to do them. For those of us that already had the Mk XII gear from the trade up period, there was no need to run them again. The tech drop isn't the only thing they removed. There was also the helm drop one could get from the grounds, especially the cure.

Then around about the time the fleet system dropped and LoR came out, the Borg Elites became "to hard" or "to buggy" as the glass cannon builds starting becoming more of a thing, and were removed.

Now fast forward to spoilmark times of today. This hasn't changed, as they're already having to nerf the NPCs, to be even easier than they already were. Seriously, I used to have to pay attention to Advanced queues. Now, I just barely need to pay attention to them like I do normals. This is even on character that I haven't bothered equipping past VR Mk XII and UR Mk XIII. Some of my characters are still wearing blue gear and Advanced was easy. Now, they're super easy.

Remove the random TFO reward boxes and watch how fast said queues, ALL OF THEM, tank back into Deadville.

Also note, Advanced use to have the same fail conditions that Elites do now. But one had to balance this as well. You worked yourself up to blue/VR Mk X-XII gear. Then you learned how to play said queues, in normal. Then you worked at Advanced and Defera to get the tech to work your gear up to Elite levels, which was just a VR Mk X kit and Mk XII gear.

Add to this to make sure you were prepared, you had to farm up the gear. This was via episodes, deep space encounters, The Big Dig, Breaking the Planet, Gorn Minefield, and even the Fleet Starbase queues.

Now we have the No Captain Left Behind program, where you don't even have to learn how to do stuff, to get the gear.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • Options
    trennan wrote: »
    Wrong. The Borg queues remained dead, because no one knew how to do them.
    Except all the objectives were clear cut and basic.

People didn't do them because they were just generally badly designed in terms of levels design and enemy encounter design, and the drops had .000001% drop rates, so everyone avoided them because they knew it was basically futile to try.

Not to mention the cabal of "high level" players who used the fact they could do said TFOs with ease to extort whatever they could out of the people who couldn't.
    they're already having to nerf the NPCs, to be even easier than they already were.
    They only "nerfed" them because they were quite demonstrably doing more damage after level 55-60 then the devs intended.

It wasn't futile to try. My main, and secondary char at the time, have all the gear from them. Still even have left over Mk X pieces sitting in the bank as collectors items. The helm had a bad drop rate, yes, it was a boss drop. But at the time, it was the only way to get the helm appearance. The tech drop rate, was because you could pick it up from just about anything in said queues.

As far as the damage goes. I understand where they're coming from on that point. It's just that, personally, I never noticed such a thing, other than some spiky torp damage here and there. Which, I'm use to this from the old borg invisi-torp bug from way back when.

So the damage change still leaves me scratching my head and asking "Why?" Especially since I elected to gimp myself. No C-Store or Fleet ships. No Fleet gear, not even the extra trait and doff unlocks. Just crafted, rep and episode gear, and I always felt the game was to easy as it was.

But we digress into another topic.

Back on topic.

As to the size of the tommy gun. That one is easy to explain. Look at the holding animation of it the, it's the same one you use when holding the Omega Autocarbine. So, roughly the same size for the same animation.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • Options
    Yes, I was wondering what all of that ETF talk had to do with the Tommy Gun.
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    kronin#4685 kronin Member Posts: 325 Arc User
    I'm going to side with Somtaawkhar on this one. I wasn't around when the TFO's were as described, but I will say this. If the only way to get the Tommy gun was to play again and again with the drop rates being talked about, then I doubt I'd play them. I much prefer the "no captain left behind program" to the grindfest of unlikely drops or needing to outplay the best players in the game. In a TFO, I try to show up with a good build, pursue the objectives and do my part. I think I'm a decent player, but I don't claim to be among the best, and I don't think the prizes should only be for the top 1-5%. Anyhow, I look forward to getting my Tommy gun tomorrow.
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    > @somtaawkhar said:
    > Not to mention the cabal of "high level" players who used the fact they could do said TFOs with ease to extort whatever they could out of the people who couldn't.

I always thought this was some kind of urban legend. I have never, ever experienced that. Maybe you just hung out with a toxic crowd?

The old drop system followed the basic formula of dumgeon crawlers and classic MMORPGS and it worked and would still work in principle I am certain. It's just that regular/exceptionsl loot in STO is super boring and worthless, that's an inherent flaw. If you could steadily improve your build with random drops, the hunt for the one boss drop would be more fun.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    Tommy Gun?
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    marcase2marcase2 Member Posts: 103 Arc User
    Do yourself a huuuuuge favor - when you get the TommyGun, go to the Defera Invasion Zone and just go to town with it. Okay it's just Defera, but this thing is HILARIOUS !
    The Borg cannot adapt and you really don't need any extra buff, just take your TommyGun out of the box and go Borg bowling.

It does need some extra buffs for Borg Adv TFOs, but I can honestly say Zefram's shotgun and even the TR116 have some serious competition.

Christmas came early :D
    Marcase-Medal-banner-2.png
    The Mighty 44th. Boldly bashing Borgs to bits since 2010.

• Options
    angrytarg wrote: »
    I always thought this was some kind of urban legend. I have never, ever experienced that. Maybe you just hung out with a toxic crowd?
    I didn't hang out with anyone.

Just going to DS9 back in those days you could easily see a handful of people in full MACO/OMEGA/Honor Guard gear holding what amounted to auctions in the Task Force Omega room on who could give up the most in order to get the privilege of getting a run through the Borg TFOs for the chance of getting a drop.

I never ran into this. I'd always hit up zone back then with a LFG. Took all of about 5 minutes to get a party together. Even less time if you, or knew someone, that could tank Armek.

Mm5NeXy.gif
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    angrytarg wrote: »
    I didn't hang out with anyone.

Just going to DS9 back in those days you could easily see a handful of people in full MACO/OMEGA/Honor Guard gear holding what amounted to auctions in the Task Force Omega room on who could give up the most in order to get the privilege of getting a run through the Borg TFOs for the chance of getting a drop.

I never ran into this. I'd always hit up zone back then with a LFG. Took all of about 5 minutes to get a party together. Even less time if you, or knew someone, that could tank Armek.

Surprised to hear that, I remember it exactly as somtaawkhar described. It was mostly on DS9, but near the end of that system, people were asking some pretty exorbitant prices to run them through queues. There were channels at the time where you could get people to run through them with you for fun, they were mostly trying to extort players that didn't know any better.

In the end, it's a trade off. Yes, the unique reward did make the queues more active, but it made them far more frustrating and far less fun. I can see the argument that a unique chance reward drives up activity, but that activity is horrifically repetitive and frustrating. Ultimately, it leads to players just giving up which is what I did on that system. I came back full time during LoR when a system had been put in place that was actually fun and made me feel like I accomplished something.

Sometimes, we remember things more fondly then they actually were.. this is one of those times. The old queue system sucked donkey, I am glad it's gone and may it rot in the bowels of hell where it belongs. :lol:
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    Wasn't around for that old system, but I do know there was no TOMMY GUN around then.
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
This discussion has been closed.