test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Cancelled By Netflix: Why The Streaming Giant Might Not Be The Best Home For A New Stargate Series

lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
https://www.gateworld.net/news/2019/03/cancelled-by-netflix-new-stargate-show/

I never thought I'd be released that Discovery is not primarily a Netflix series.

Comments

• garaks31garaks31 Member Posts: 2,845 Arc User
    good article ,but stargate is not those second class boring marvel works. and Netflix would not step in the same trap. like they did with cbs-trek but not trek... mgm has its own streaming service too. so same game from the studios.
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    MGM can do a lot better than Netflix.

I'm sure Amazon has deep enough pockets to do something good with Stargate. i still wouldn't mind finishing off SGU, and then creating a new series to get things rolling again and get the series back to its traditional roots with some new blood.

I miss the days of 20 episodes per season. although i'm sure it's exhausting, it didn't stop Raymond Burr, Barbara Hale, Ray Collins and William Talman from doing Perry Mason back in the 60's it didn't stop the Edward Mulhare, Patricia McPhearson and David Hasselholf from doing Knight Rider and countless others all the way to Stargate Atlantis with Rachel Lutrell, Jason Momoa, Paul McGillion, Joe Flanigan and David Hewlett.

if there is a group that could put whole seasons back on the map again, it's MGM. I hope they can bankroll another series at some point.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    I used to be quite high on Netflix, they still have some cool stuff.

But recent cancellations to shows like The Punisher, Daredevil, Jessica Jones, and Travelers have soured me on the idea of Netflix as a home for a Stargate Show.

Personally, I would rather see it go to Amazon, they recently picked up The Expanse which is a fantastic show and picking up a Stargate Show to go with it would be a good move toward building their Science Fiction library.

Overall, all networks cancel shows.. most of them way too quickly. But if I had a choice, I would rather see Stargate air on Amazon or as a flagship show for an MGM Streaming Network. Both of those options would be preferable to Netflix at this point.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • lostcause212lostcause212 Member Posts: 160 Arc User
    Didn't the Marvel stuff get axed because Disney was consolidating onto its own streaming platform?
    yjIzVE9.png
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    Netflix still has to look into whether a show actually attracts subscribers and is worth the expenditure.

On TV, we saw the need for audience numbers to sell commercial time lead to certain.. developments - More reality shows or soap operas because they are cheap and still make decent commerical money, artsy or niche products disappearing.

We will probably also see the mechanics of the way streaming works and earns its money lead to certain developments - it might not be all rosy, we'll see. But it probably will not be unique to Netflix.
    Didn't the Marvel stuff get axed because Disney was consolidating onto its own streaming platform?
    It was a decision by Netflix, not Marvel, to cancel the shows. It was probably also a reaction to the Marvel streaming ambitions, and apparently also viewership numbers.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    The conclusions in the article might be partially right, and partially wrong.

It is possible that shows will have less seasons than we are used to (and with less episodes than we are used to). But I am not convinced that it will lead to more shows ending on cliffhangers. The fact that shows will likely end earlier than sooner makes it more likely that the writers will write shows in a way to have endings ready and can respond to Netflix deciding to cancel a show more quickly.

And overall, I think it would not be such a terrible thing to happen. Because it is not unusual in the past for shows to overstay their welcome, or create "filler" episodes that don't really work well. If we can avoid that, things might be fine.

Well, that's the optimist in me talking, of course.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    The concept of mini-series is one that has been lucrative for a while, and probably will in the future. Why commit to writing and producing 50 episodes when you don't have a solid concept for them?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg