test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Spring/Summer Roadmap!

Comments

• garaks31garaks31 Member Posts: 2,845 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    (Response to moderated comments removed. - BMR)
    Post edited by baddmoonrizin on
  • badgerpants999badgerpants999 Member Posts: 241 Arc User
    Just one additional Question. Is Gold Pressed Latinum EVER going to be relevant? I only ask because it, GPL, is just a joke in the game. What's supposed to be the most valuable substance in existence in Star Trek has no functional value in STO. Every other currency in game can be used to purchase something that improves your gaming experience. You can buy weapons, armor, starships, everything useful in Star Trek online can be bought with almost any currency. Except Gold Pressed Latinum.

GPL is only useful for temporary cosmetic alterations, you put a hologram around yourself or your ship, which drops as soon as you enter combat. Or you can buy a trophy to stick on your wall, or just dump it in the middle of your mess hall.

Every currency EXCEPT GPL can be used to enhance your gaming experience. Why is this the only exception and will that ever change?
  • jagdtier44jagdtier44 Member Posts: 376 Arc User
    So ROD is the final season of Discovery? Just kinda guessing by the list of seasons than the 'Discovery is coming to a close"?

I mean honestly.. if it is than thank god, I don't particularly dislike Discovery (as I've never watched it) but I detest cryptic ignoring 50% of its game because of it and I'll be friggin GLAD to see it go.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,973 Community Moderator
    edited March 2019
    (Response to moderated comments removed. - BMR)
    Post edited by baddmoonrizin on
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • jennycolvinjennycolvin Member Posts: 1,100 Arc User
    Context is your friend. The new faction start, for a start, is an alternative starting experience making use of one elaborated mission to bring a new backstory to their characters. There's the challenge of hooking this up on the backend (big effort) and challenge of developing new assets for it but we know (from comments) that was a bit of a push right after ViL. You can also argue that there were secondary consequences to that effort through bugs of unprecedented magnitude cropping up in the tailor and Foundry (they were rushing to meet AoD). Ie. that this wasn't a simple linear increase in content development for which improvements are unnecessary to consider, there may have been some strain to meet this goal.
    Starting experiences are always the hardest to do since they have to be perfectly designed to inform players of all the game's basic functions. Cryptic has talked about this before, but tutorials are THE single hardest piece of content to make. And the bugs aren't particularly different from any other expansion release. Remember all the bugs that cropped up with AoY?

I imagine that's supposed to explain why we didn't get a new starting experience at all, but just a reskin of the Fed one (which I appreciated immensely when it came out, 'cause it was well done and added some new "scenery", if you will, that made it more palatable, at least for me).
    I imagine that's supposed to explain why Klingons where, once again, completely ignored? I understand why Romulans had to be left out - not that they received much love since the "faction" was introduced, except maybe for the whole Sphere's business, but even then playing the Solanae arch with a Rom character is nothing more than being the lapdog of either the Red Shirts or the Klingons - but we had the opportunity of saying the same content from an entirely different point of view. Imagine creating a Klingon from the DSC era. Imagine taking it through something so completely different from the Empire we know today (a divided mess of Houses and interested that, while still represented in some ways in the "modern" Empire, is still unique) and then having to adjust to an completely different state of things. You can arguably say that a Fed character from the same Era will have much less problems adapting - if you do not count the fact that they've lost everyone they love with no hope of getting back to them, of course.
    I imagine that's supposed to explain why the new missions, while "more" frequent are just as linear as the old content you seem to despise so much, if not more, and certainly not more repeatable.

Maybe, just maybe!, it's high time the devs realize that creating content and then abandoning it but for the occasional C-Store ship is not the best way to go forward.
    You can be Fed all the way, you can be Klingon all the way, you can be Rom half-way ('cause seriously, that's just wrong in so many ways!), but if you are a real player, you'll want everyone to be able to play the same content equally.
    So, why should someone that prefer playing as a Klingon be forced to switch (or create an entirely new) Fed character just to be able to play the new content?
    Because people would go ballistic if it was the other way around.​​
    kv1Ohsx.png
    Not agreeing with someone doesn't give you the right to be an TRIBBLE.

Ci sono tre tipi di giocatori:
    - quelli a cui non va mai bene niente... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che sono talmente imbesuiti da credere a qualunque cosa i dev dicano, perfino che la luna è fatta di formaggio... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che credono a quello a cui è giusto credere, sono d'accordo con quello con cui è giusto essere d'accordo e sono critici con quello che non va;

Ai giocatori dei primi due tipi, gratis in omaggio un bello specchio lucente su cui arrampicarsi. E una mazzata in testa per la loro poca intelligenza e compassione verso gli altri giocatori che non la pensano come loro.
    Agli appartenenti al terzo tipo, invece, dico grazie. Anche se non sempre si riesce a mantenere la calma, siete quelli per cui vale la pena incazzarsi.
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    Entirely incorrect. Most arcs don't even have 5 TFOs to begin with
    -ViL = 1
    -Tzenkethi = 4
    -Competitive = 3
    -AoY = 3
    -MU = 2
    -Iconian War = 3
    -Delta Rising = 3
    -Undine = 3
    -Voth = 2
    I could go on, but the only arc to have as many TFOs as we are getting with Discovery is the Borg arc, which has 8, and it only has 8 because they split the ground and space portions..

Your post is counterfactual and here's a simple demonstration. I said seasons, not arcs. The span of AoD to now is analogous to the span of time (see. rates of change, ad hoc themes is an odd way of treating the problem) between two seasons (6 months).

Season 13: 3 TFO's (April 2017)
    Season 14: 3 TFO's (October 2017)

That's 6 TFO's as many months. We've had 4 comparable TFO's with AOD and one simple reskin. This isn't outside statistical limits for content production but we see steps taken to release content (at ordinary levels) more efficiently though with some fairly substantial drawbacks (see. Peril over Pahvo.) I'll also note that season 12 had 2 TFO's with a 4 month gap, continuing the pattern. Whether this is because of STO team changes or simply a more involving workload over recent months (maybe Battle at Binary and Pavho Dissention were exceptionally difficult to setup behind the scenes, ditto one or more of the missions within the AOD arc to adopt a valid null hypothesis) is rather beside the point, there are ways that Cryptic can simplify and do more under any nominal and exceptional development limitations.

And to that point: if adopting some mechanics and strategies from the Foundry doesn't work for STO, it doesn't work; though to be frank there's only so much we can do without knowing the internal particulars to answer that question by any rational means (context for your reflexive argument, denying the basics to deny the impetus for suggested improvements, minimizing the concerns of others being paramount.) Enter: suggestion on a feedback forum, relevant to the topic of STO's broad future.
    Post edited by duncanidaho11 on
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
    I imagine that's supposed to explain why Klingons where, once again, completely ignored?
    Klingons weren't "ignored", there just isn't enough information on what Klingons were doing in that era to make an arc out of, same reason there isn't a TOS era Klingon start.
    So that's the answer? They took the easy way out because "we don't have enough information"? Right. Yes, I'll believe that. Of course.
    Maybe, just maybe!, it's high time the devs realize that creating content and then abandoning it
    What exactly have they abandoned?
    All non Fed factions. They had countless opportunity to give both the Romulans and the Klingons some much needed love... and they ignored each and everyone of them (or have you forgotten the new ESD that came out, while both Qo'Nos and the Shipyards were totally ignored, even though they were both attacked by the Undine?), only giving out C-Store ships, as if a ship can make up for all the rest.
    And before you start with "they cannot make faction-specific content" - again! - I'll stop you: that's b******t. We all know it, but we're not all as good as you at being able to ignore what's blatantly in front of us.
    So, why should someone that prefer playing as a Klingon be forced to switch (or create an entirely new) Fed character just to be able to play the new content?
    All of the Age of Discovery missions are cross faction, so you don't have to make a new character to play the new content. The only new peice of content not open to the Klingons is the same part of the content not open to Roms, 2409 Feds, and TOS Feds, which is the Discovery tutorial.

True, and they all make sense for the grand total of... one single faction. Sure, Klingons and Romulans characters can play the new "content" - if you can call it content - but that's about it. For it to make sense at all you need to play it as Fed character.​​
    kv1Ohsx.png

- quelli che sono talmente imbesuiti da credere a qualunque cosa i dev dicano, perfino che la luna è fatta di formaggio... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che credono a quello a cui è giusto credere, sono d'accordo con quello con cui è giusto essere d'accordo e sono critici con quello che non va;

Ai giocatori dei primi due tipi, gratis in omaggio un bello specchio lucente su cui arrampicarsi. E una mazzata in testa per la loro poca intelligenza e compassione verso gli altri giocatori che non la pensano come loro.
    Agli appartenenti al terzo tipo, invece, dico grazie. Anche se non sempre si riesce a mantenere la calma, siete quelli per cui vale la pena incazzarsi.
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,247 Community Moderator
    All sides of this "debate" need to settle down.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • lordconn#9249 lordconn Member Posts: 50 Arc User
    Just one additional Question. Is Gold Pressed Latinum EVER going to be relevant?
    Every currency EXCEPT GPL can be used to enhance your gaming experience. Why is this the only exception and will that ever change?
    GPL can be used at the Ferengi trader on DS9 to purchase commodities including contraband (which converts to dilithium that can be used or sold for zen) and jenovite which converts to hardpoints that can be sold for substantial EC. I find all of these substances "enhance my gaming experience".

• savain75savain75 Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    As for ships, we have seen the Discovery pack which had like 5 new ships in it. This idea that all they are doing is single releases is, again, demonstrably false.

The Operations packs and multifaction bundles are demonstrably different animals. Operations packs are historically tied to expansions and focus on the major players in that expansion, while multifaction packs introduce mix-and-match ships with new ship sets. There hasn't been a multifaction bundle (or a new set, for that matter) in quite some time, and even the Discovery Operations pack has significantly less content than other Operations packs. They're not only doing single releases (nor did anyone claim that), but they are focusing on them.
    Cryptic has said that by the time the Discovery content is over there will be two complete arcs.

The arcs are set up in such a way that they can continue without being Discovery pastiches. J'Ula and Killy have both escaped into the galaxy at large, making them (potentially) galactic threats. This could fit with the claims that "Discovery is coming to a close" and "they're eager to return to Trek as a whole" (quoting a summary of the livestream); there's no reason Discovery has to dominate just because two DISC-related characters (one of whom was invented for the game and one of whom is only mentioned and presumed dead in the show) are running around in their future. (This is, I admit, pure speculation on my part.)
    From what Cryptic has said, CBS wants a lot of the Star Trek side materials to be more consistent with each other, and reference each other, to create a more shared secondary universe like the Trek novels have been doing for a decade or so now.

It's become increasingly common over the past couple of decades to reveal plot-critical details and/or "worldbuilding flavor" in tie-in works and leave them out of the primary source. I could name several movies that flopped for exactly that reason: motivations and explanations were left to backup material that the majority of viewers didn't know about, let alone buy. Even the Paramount Star Trek movies have done it (left explanations out of the movies, not flopped).

More to the point, I'm just having fun speculating. I'm not guessing that they will nor even saying that they should move away from Discovery content (although personally I prefer the game be more "all-inclusive," and I know of many players, here on the forums and elsewhere, who feel likewise). I'm just saying that if you look at the endings of the arcs we've gotten so far, they are clearly set up in such a way that they can (and let me make it clear that by "move away," I do not mean "end"). What would a Discovery reputation even be if not a "Time-Displaced and Reality-Hopping Invaders Reaction Force?" (rolls right off the tongue, doesn't it?) (Keep in mind that the Temporal Defense Initiative is only tangentially related to the AoY storyline.)

From what Cryptic has said, CBS wants a lot of the Star Trek side materials to be more consistent with each other, and reference each other, to create a more shared secondary universe like the Trek novels have been doing for a decade or so now.

It's become increasingly common over the past couple of decades to reveal plot-critical details and/or "worldbuilding flavor" in tie-in works. I can name some movies that flopped for exactly that reason: motivations and explanations were left to background material that most viewers didn't know about, let alone buy. Even the Paramount Star Trek movies have done it (left material out, not flopped).

More to the point, I'm just having fun speculating. I'm not saying that they will nor even that they should move away from Discovery content (although I personally would prefer they focus on being more "all-inclusive," and I know of many, here on the forums and elsewhere, that feel likewise). I'm just saying that when you look at the endings of the arcs we've gotten so far, it's clear they're set up so that they can (and let me be clear that by "move away," I do not mean "end"). What would a Discovery reputation even be if not the "Time-Displaced and Reality-Hopping Invaders Reaction Force" (rolls right off the tongue, doesn't it)? (Keep in mind that the Temporal Defense Initiative is only tangentially related to the AoY storyline.)

edited March 2019
    The Terrans reputation was based on technology House Pegh had developed to fight the Federation, that was now turned on the Mirror Universe. They could do the same here, just BS that Section 31 has been developing anti-Klingon weaponry since the Discovery era, in case the Federation ever went back into full on war with the Klingon Empire, and now its being used to fight J'Ula's forces or w/e.

Try this on for size, based on name progression of the arcs:
    • - Age of Discovery: actually takes place in the Discovery era (or a simulation thereof) and ends with all parties in the
      game's present.
    • - Mirror of Discovery: involves people being thrown around through time and dimensions and ends with all parties in the game's present.
    • - Rise of Discovery: J'Ula and Mirror Tilly start to establish powerbases, but get in each other's way. They decide to have a winner-takes-the-galaxy bakeoff (replicators not allowed; this is a test of skill). We have to go in and steal their flour.
      We succeed but they still escape, and in the aftermath, we see the rise of the Alliance Joint Task Force No-Baking Defense
      Cooperative Technologies Agency, which focuses on the many unexplored uses of replicator technology and works to outlaw cooking by hand.

Post edited by savain75 on
  • themadprofessor#9835 themadprofessor Member Posts: 1,203 Arc User
    savain75 wrote: »
    What would a Discovery reputation even be if not the "Time-Displaced and Reality-Hopping Invaders Reaction Force" (rolls right off the tongue, doesn't it)? (Keep in mind that the Temporal Defense Initiative is only tangentially related to the AoY storyline.)

As long as that Reputation has something like these as a cutscene, I'm all aboard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdFzKGF3uA8

Space Barbie Extraordinaire. Got a question about Space Barbie? Just ask.

Things I want in STO:

1) More character customization options such as more clothing options, letting the toon complexion affect the entire body, not just the head. Also a true RGB color picker applied to all costume and appearance options, which would allow for true appearance customization and homogenous colors instead of "this same exact color looks vastly different on two different pieces."
    2) Bridge customization, not bridge packs. Let us pick a general layout and adjust the color palette, console appearance, and chair types, as well as more ready room layout options.
    3) Customizable ground weapons, i.e. The aesthetic look of phaser dual pistols but they shoot antiproton bolts. For obvious reasons this would only apply to standard ground weapons.
    4) For the love of Q please revamp Plasma Ground Weapons. They look like demented Supersoakers right now.
    5) True Vanity Impulse and Deflector effects similar to Vanity Shields.
    6) A greater payout for hitting T6 Reputations. Currently it takes more time and resources to get from T5 to T6 than it does to get from nothing to T5. Make that grind really pay out at the end.
    7) Mirrorverse Refugee event similar to AoY/Delta/Gamma, complete with new Mirrorverse recruits for all factions.
    8) Independent Faction, because yo ho yo ho a pirate's life for me!
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,659 Arc User
    Just one additional Question. Is Gold Pressed Latinum EVER going to be relevant?
    GPL can be used at the Ferengi trader on DS9 to purchase commodities including contraband (which converts to dilithium that can be used or sold for zen) and jenovite which converts to hardpoints that can be sold for substantial EC. I find all of these substances "enhance my gaming experience".

I'd like to see it be used to unlock more tailor items. I want the TOS Romulan thigh boots, since they got those wicked heels, and there is a mini skirt version of the Starfleet academy skirt. Not to mention various hair and so on.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
    savain75 wrote: »
    - Rise of Discovery: J'Ula and Mirror Tilly start to establish powerbases, but get in each other's way. They decide to have a winner-takes-the-galaxy bakeoff (replicators not allowed; this is a test of skill). We have to go in and steal their flour.
    We succeed but they still escape, and in the aftermath, we see the rise of the Alliance Joint Task Force No-Baking Defense
    Cooperative Technologies Agency, which focuses on the many unexplored uses of replicator technology and works to outlaw cooking by hand.

O.O

I wanna see that!

Also, if that does not happen, can I use that for a future comic? :3

dvZq2Aj.jpg
    reyan01 wrote: »
    So that's the answer? They took the easy way out because "we don't have enough information"? Right. Yes, I'll believe that. Of course.

To be fair, that probably IS the answer.

In this week's livestream the Executive Producer (Andre Emmerson) stated that they're holding back on putting the DSC-era Enterprise (1701) into the game. It has been made - there is a physical in-game model ready for release - but they're waiting until we find out more about it and what it might be able to do from the series itself before they release it.

Same applies to the DSC era Klingons. Without spoiling anything, the 'trailer' for Discovery S2 Ep13 shows Klingon involvement
    and the appearance of a physical D7 class that we know from TOS
    so the season clearly isn't done with them yet

Let's just hope it does not give the you know whos that the mods seem to get upset when I mention, another item to sell for a billion and a half......
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
    reyan01 wrote: »

To be fair, that probably IS the answer.

In this week's livestream the Executive Producer (Andre Emmerson) stated that they're holding back on putting the DSC-era Enterprise (1701) into the game. It has been made - there is a physical in-game model ready for release - but they're waiting until we find out more about it and what it might be able to do from the series itself before they release it.

Same applies to the DSC era Klingons. Without spoiling anything, the 'trailer' for Discovery S2 Ep13 shows Klingon involvement
    and the appearance of a physical D7 class that we know from TOS
    so the season clearly isn't done with them yet

Ok, let's pretend that is the answer for a moment. It's all good and well for anything Discovery-related. What about all the rest? Why all this "cross-faction" content is clearly made with only the Federation in mind?
    (As a side note: my main is a Fed, but I do enjoy playing my Klingons, my Jem and my Romulans - still waiting for a true Rom ship that doesn't f**k me over, energy wise, btw! - so I'm not particularly biased toward any of the factions actually in existence)​​
    kv1Ohsx.png

• jagdtier44jagdtier44 Member Posts: 376 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    Ok, let's pretend that is the answer for a moment. It's all good and well for anything Discovery-related. What about all the rest? Why all this "cross-faction" content is clearly made with only the Federation in mind?​
    Well
    A. Cross faction content isn't made with only Federation in mind. Hell, the last several arcs in particular have been wanking of the Klingons heavily.
    B. Even if they were, the Federation was the focus of every single Trek series thus far, and thus makes up 99% of the content the game is based off of, which in turn drives more people to go Federation in the first place. So the faction with more content in show will get more content, or content focus, in-game.

That's not what he means I gather, what he's referring to is that when you play cross faction missions and actually read the text it's always written from a Federation players experience.

The way everyone interacts with the player is from a "he's a federation captain" stand point. NPCs are always relieved to see you when if the player was Klingon or Romulan they really wouldn't be. For instance lets look at just the Mirror Disc Ark. The ISS Discovery is being pounded by Klingons.. but they're joyed some OTHER Klingons are there? What about Romulans or Jem'hadar? They've never seen EITHER of these races but it's the same as a Federation ship coming to their aid. And of course our Klingons are to eager to help vs.. storming the bridge and capturing the ship, or our Romulans wanting to gather intel, interrogate and all that because we're all federation now

It's part of the reason I just skip through text these days, it makes zero sense for my Romulans so why bother reading it anyway. I get that it's far easier for Cryptic to write just one section of mission text than write one for 3-4 factions worth but it still irks me
    Also, if that does not happen, can I use that for a future comic? :3

Have at it.

Or alternately, Mirror Tilly rounds up and unleashes a horde of tribbles on J'ula. Exposure to her (faulty) mycelial tech causes them to mutate, gaining advanced intelligence and retractable hands. Their explosive breeding gives them an amazing boost in manpower, allowing them to build entire fleets in a matter of weeks (they just use the existing infrastructure of whatever place they've overrun), and before we know it, we have a NEW galactic power. Just think of the possibilities: fearsome Tribble Death Squads. Tribble Space Marines. Tribble Bombardiers which launch Tribble Bombs (which are actually baby tribbles).

They're not bad; they're just doing what tribbles do.

Then we get renegade tribbles who are PLAYABLE.