test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Section 31 Discovery Ship

vampirialvampirial Member Posts: 92 Arc User
It is inevitable that this ship will make it in game at some point, when it does what would you want it to be able to do. Me personally as just a flavor power I'd like it to be able to Masquerade as a freighter or an asteroid in Sector space. In missions give it a cloak (I'd like a battlecloak but we won't get that). What do you guys think?
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    or make it really unique; let you choose between various types of asteroids, space junk and other small objects - as long as you don't move

kind of like the mimic/MCV holo-cloak in homeworld cataclysm​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
    I can see them fitting in as full Intel ships.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    I am hoping for Miracle Worker, but yes.. Intel does make much more sense.

I would assume it would be an offensively focused ship, probably something similar to a battle cruiser but hard to tell from the limited screen time so far.

It's an ok'ish looking ship.. I wouldn't jump to try and get it unless it had some unique or cool mechanic that made it special.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • vampirialvampirial Member Posts: 92 Arc User
    Yeah Disco kinda screwed the Lore on that one, but I sure do love the look of the ship, I just hope it doesn't have the animation that it had in its first outing, if it does its gonna be broken as hell to animate.

I love everyone's Idea's for the ship so far esp the Cloak (but not a cloak) and hope they do that where it masquerades as space debris/asteroids when cloaked.
    vampirial wrote: »
    Yeah Disco kinda screwed the Lore on that one...

I don't think it did. Remember this is a HIGHLY secretive organization. How else would they be able to do even half the things they were said to do in Enterprise and DS9? Would make sense that they would have more assets available to them. Hell... its also entirely possible that Star Trek VI might have shown Section 31 in action, but they weren't identified as such.

We know Section 31 existed as far back as the 22nd Century. We know they existed well into the 24th Century. What we don't know is what they were doing during the 23rd. Its possible that something made them scale back their operations to stay in the shadows.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    or make it really unique; let you choose between various types of asteroids, space junk and other small objects - as long as you don't move

We already have that in STO. :p It's the special ability of the drones that come with Scimitars. A holographic disguise that makes them look like the enemy :p A cloak that turns you into a rock is fine really :p
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    except A: it doesn't let you choose and B: it's not available to players​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    With the debacle of Control they would need to go into 'hiding' so they could be out of visible action leading to DS9.

Or they could just introduce a new Specialization - Skunkworks/DARPA or some such Advanced Research type. Giving you random offensive capabilities similar to how the Miracle Worker abilities work. Maybe a smidge of something Intel-like, Temporal-like, etc.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    except A: it doesn't let you choose and B: it's not available to players​​ yet.
    Fixed that for you.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    > @somtaawkhar said:
    > colonelmarik wrote: »
    >
    > But... Section 31 doesn't have ships, or offices or anything else like that.
    >
    >
    >
    > In DS9 they didn't.
    >
    > This isn't DS9. And Discovery has pretty much shown us how they end up like that in DS9.

True. Pike literally called it a branch of Starfleet in one of the recent episodes if I'm not mistaken
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User

We already have that in STO. :p It's the special ability of the drones that come with Scimitars. A holographic disguise that makes them look like the enemy :p A cloak that turns you into a rock is fine really :p
    That ability is actually far more interesting than that, because it actually changes the drone's beam weapons damage type as well.

Or it would be if STO had elemental rock-paper-scissors.
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    But... Section 31 doesn't have ships, or offices or anything else like that.
    In DS9 they didn't.

This isn't DS9. And Discovery has pretty much shown us how they end up like that in DS9.

Yes they did. They had a ship equipped with a holodeck in Inqusition that also had a cloaking device as the station couldn't detect a ship in orbit.
    Based on both those factors it's probably the same ship from Insurrection but that's obviously speculation.

S31 in DSC functions, acts, and exists no differently to how it did in DS9.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    warpangel wrote: »

That ability is actually far more interesting than that, because it actually changes the drone's beam weapons damage type as well.

Or it would be if STO had elemental rock-paper-scissors.
    Oh yeah, you can cheese space damage accolades and endeavors by using your drone damage. Fight Klingons and do disruptor, etc...
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • theboxisredtheboxisred Member Posts: 455 Arc User
    artan42 wrote: »
    In DS9 they didn't.

This isn't DS9. And Discovery has pretty much shown us how they end up like that in DS9.

Yes they did. They had a ship equipped with a holodeck in Inqusition that also had a cloaking device as the station couldn't detect a ship in orbit.
    Based on both those factors it's probably the same ship from Insurrection but that's obviously speculation.

Except on DS9 Section 31 didn't spend as much time and energy advertising their existence.
    In DS9 they didn't.

Except on DS9 Section 31 didn't spend as much time and energy advertising their existence.

And they don't in DSC either. They're covert ops not ghosts.​​
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

In DS9 they didn't.

Covert ops is one thing. Starfleet Intelligence or Starfleet Security would handle covert ops. Granted Section 31 would also engage in covert ops, but they would also work their collective buttocks off to not be revealed as an entity within Starfleet. They wouldn't just operate within the shadows, but also create the shadows in which to operate. As such they ought to bloody well be smart enough not to advertise their presence by wearing separate insignia, or even wearing insignia that would raise questions.

In Deep Space Nine Section 31 operated in such a manner. In Discovery they are one whiffy methane burst away from opening a gift shop and selling plushies by comparison.
    In DS9 they didn't.

I was bitten by the edit bug and I don't care enough about this to go into the same detail twice so I'll make this short.

Which Section 31 is more dangerous?

A) Deep Space Nine where Section 31 not only operates within the shadows but also creates the shadows in which to operate.

B)Discovery where Section 31 raises questions about its existence by wearing different insignia and, as such, is one stiff aft wind from opening a gift shop in the lobby and selling plushies by comparison?

edited March 2019
    The emote was unintended.
    Post edited by theboxisred on
  • jtoney3448jtoney3448 Member Posts: 642 Arc User

You forgot a cardboard box.
    In DS9 they didn't.

And they don't in DSC either. They're covert ops not ghosts.

I was bitten by the edit bug and I don't care enough about this to go into the same detail twice so I'll make this short.

A) Deep Space Nine where Section 31 not only operates within the shadows but also creates the shadows in which to operate.

B)Discovery where Section 31 raises questions about its existence by wearing different insignia and, as such, is one stiff aft wind from opening a gift shop in the lobby and selling plushies by comparison?

And in what way are those different? Slone is on a covert mission in the middle of a war and Leyland dosn't even wear his insignia. Barely anybody knows about S31 in DSC and it's only slightly more than the number of people who know about them in DS9.

The supposed 'public' image of S31 in DSC is overblown to ridiculous levels. Throughout S1 they were unknown as only rumours to everybody on the Disco except Lorca (as somebody had to have hired the guy in the transporter room) and Ash had only heard rumours about them.
    By S2 they are known to Pike (who's friends with Leyland), Ash (who's now part of them), the Emperor (who's part of them), Burnham (who found out about them from Ash), and Cornwall who would have to be stupider than she already is not to know about a branch of Starfleet.

Hell, the only people who actually wear their badges are the transporter guy and Ash. The crew of Leylands ship don't even wear them. Hardly 'one stiff aft wind from opening a gift shop in the lobby' is it?​​

#TASforSTO

• redvengeredvenge Member Posts: 1,425 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    Barely anybody knows about S31 in DSC
    Incorrect. Section 31 is easily recognized by it's signature "black badges". Even rando prisoners know about "black badges" (ST:D "Context is for Kings"). In ST:D, Section 31 is considered to be a critical division of Starfleet Intelligence (ST:D "Saint's of Imperfection"). Section 31 is definitely NOT a secret in Star Trek: Discovery.

In DS9, Section 31 is completely unknown to most Starfleet personnel. It is considered a separate (and rogue) organization from Starfleet (DS9 "Dogs of War").

In DS9, Section 31 has unlimited access and control to all Starfleet and Federation resources... somehow. This seems to suggest that, rather than being an open part of Starfleet Intelligence (as it is in ST:D), Section 31 has "rebranded" itself. Perhaps the sheep were catching onto the fact that the Space Illuminati was running everything so they had to "disappear". Much easier to be the shadow puppet masters of the Federation if no one can see the strings.

Edit: Wrote the wrong episode for the prisoners.
    Post edited by redvenge on
    Actually... if you are referring to the episode where Burnham was brought aboard Discovery... the prisoner mentioned that he had NEVER seen black badges before. They did recognize the number of "silver shirts", meaning science personnel, but found the black badges on those guards to be out of the ordinary.

Also... am I the only one who remembers that they appeared in Enterprise as well?
  • tyler002tyler002 Member Posts: 1,586 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    I remember them inEnterprise; they were the same as they were in DS9.

So if anyone notices any canon-conflict in the Discovery version, it would be difficult to explain it as a change of operating procedure between TOS & DS9.
    tumblr_p7auh1JPC61qfr6udo4_500.gif
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    You're not the only one.

This Control sh*tshow may force Section 31 to be more circumspect.

How many people know that the base on Cestus III is a Section 31 listening post?
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    In DS9 they didn't.

And they don't in DSC either. They're covert ops not ghosts.

And in what way are those different? Slone is on a covert mission in the middle of a war and Leyland dosn't even wear his insignia. Barely anybody knows about S31 in DSC and it's only slightly more than the number of people who know about them in DS9.

The supposed 'public' image of S31 in DSC is overblown to ridiculous levels. Throughout S1 they were unknown as only rumours to everybody on the Disco except Lorca (as somebody had to have hired the guy in the transporter room) and Ash had only heard rumours about them.
    By S2 they are known to Pike (who's friends with Leyland), Ash (who's now part of them), the Emperor (who's part of them), Burnham (who found out about them from Ash), and Cornwall who would have to be stupider than she already is not to know about a branch of Starfleet.

Hell, the only people who actually wear their badges are the transporter guy and Ash. The crew of Leylands ship don't even wear them. Hardly 'one stiff aft wind from opening a gift shop in the lobby' is it?​​

I can't help but notice you left out the words, "by comparison," in that last sentence where you quoted me. Oh, sorry, misquoted me. Notice how the absence of those two words alter the context of the position I'm taking.

Discovery is just badly written on nearly every front.

• firstaid#5667 firstaid Member Posts: 67 Arc User
    I think this Section 31 ship would make for a nice full Intel spec science vessel.
    So notes from the livestream... Andre Emerson pretty flatly said they're waiting to see what it can do in the show before they make it in STO. Because they want it to be as close to the TV version as possible.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
This discussion has been closed.