test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Stuck on patching after a crash

The game just crash and when I've tried to launch it again it is stuck on patching. No progress bar at all. just stuck. Can someone help?

Comments

• liorb77liorb77 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    Solved by rebooting my PC.
  • mezdec#5440 mezdec Member Posts: 1 New User
    I don't have permissions to post yet, so I am commenting on this post to hopefully have my issue answered. My STO Launcher is patching the game, but with my ISP I tend to drop signal every 20 minutes or so. Unfortunately, it seems the Launcher totally resets game download when this happens instead of picking up where download left off as if it was paused. Most other games, or large download files recognize and continue where it left off. Is this indeed the case, that I have to be able to download the entire STO game (16gb) in a single sitting with no disconnects of internet service?
  • bignutz#2228 bignutz Member Posts: 2 New User
    > @"mezdec#5440" said:
    > I don't have permissions to post yet, so I am commenting on this post to hopefully have my issue answered. My STO Launcher is patching the game, but with my ISP I tend to drop signal every 20 minutes or so. Unfortunately, it seems the Launcher totally resets game download when this happens instead of picking up where download left off as if it was paused. Most other games, or large download files recognize and continue where it left off. Is this indeed the case, that I have to be able to download the entire STO game (16gb) in a single sitting with no disconnects of internet service?

We, sir, are in the exact same boat. I have Comcast, second in suck only to Cox, however, these issues should be irrelevant.

Dear Star Trek Online Game Gods and Sorcerers,

Few things in a man's life can elicit the levels of frustration and disappointment one feels when he has just finished the waiting processes of downloading and installing a new massive online game he had chosen to try only that night, but then realizes that something called "Patching" needs to happen, and after 5 minutes sees less than ½% downloaded, thus no game playing will be had.

I know you guys are aware of this issue, but there seems to be nothing but apathetic soaked responses, most of which communicate a sense of pure resegnation by the techs. There were a few responses that had some solid advice, ensuring the appropriate ports were open, doing some of that ipconfig comnand prompt magic. But this is very obviously an issue on your side with whatever server(s) distribute the patches.

I was perplexed at the fact that the two executibles related to the platform had no issues, and SLAM into a wall. The transfer rates for something like this patch that holds up game play for anyone, let alone a first time player, were simply unacceptable and pathetic. I literally felt like I was rocking a 9600 baud phone modem, and then mom picks up another phone and I get to start all over!!

What happened to me today, however, was the same issue the previous guy had. Comcast is due to come out in thethe next day or so and conduct what has turned into a pretty regular annual "De-Suck Service" on my cable internet. I have no idea why it happens, I have no idea what they do to fix the issue, and I have no idea why it is repeatedly done so in a way that will last just over 11 months.

But that's their issue, it's stupid in it's own right, but should be of absolutely no consequence to my computer downloading a file. I mean, harkening back to those old days again, who doesn't still curse the time wasted because your careless family members refused to ask if you were online before picking up the phone only to hear that beautiful sound.

Who wants to hear what year the world was introduced to an innovation called TCP/IP Interupt Protocols? Nevermind, I'm not an antagonist, but this issue has without a doubt antagonized me, but based on reason, I'd like to think. It certainly could have been much worse. After the 3½ hours the patch had been downloading, when my Internet dropped off, it had only reached the 16% mark, so it's not like if it had happened 36 hours in when I had 98% done. But irrespective of how much or not-so-much of this file had downloaded, you guys make the problem exponentially worse with whatever hokey 1982 Apple IIe level IP interupt solution someone who is asleep at the wheel decided was good enough.

Seriously, how does someone who is fully aware of these unworkable transfer speeds decide that anything over 29 seconds is too long a duration to enable a players download to continue where they left off!!? If your software engineers wrote all the 1s & 0s on a pad, snail-mailed it to players, and required they all be enter by hand into the players' computers, it would lower average patching durations.

The most difficult customer for a company to convert is the one who never complains. You never even know. Has anyone done any analysis to try and determine how many potential new players this self-inflicted, systemic, and recogonized barrier to new player conversions has cost? If the Patch deployment has been marginalized and prioritized to the point where funding isn't available to migrate to an AWS, those hard numbers are precisely what needs to be put in front of the bean counters.

I really hope you guys extract the proverbial heads from the orifices, because I wanna play the damn game, and all I see on my system is fractions of percentages, and lousy complacent excuses from techs who are resigned to saying "Yeah, sucks, doesn't it?"
    Chicks kind of dig me, but I don't like to brag.
  • bignutz#2228 bignutz Member Posts: 2 New User
    Yeah, they read it..... Yeah...
    Chicks kind of dig me, but I don't like to brag.