Install Arc
Options

Why Do Folk Play Up?

2»

Comments

• Options
    chipg7chipg7 Member Posts: 1,577 Arc User
    nixboox wrote: »
    Sometimes I wonder why some of you people even continue playing this game. Your distain for it, through your writing here in the forum, is obvious. :unamused:

You completely misunderstand. It isn't disdain for the game, it is disdain for having to share it. Do you see us complaining about the single-player side of this game? I mean beyond getting stuck inside objects...

It's not a single-player game, and it never was. There's single-player content available, but even the vast majority of it can be played with others. There are probably maybe 20 episodes or so that are 1-player locked? The game's wiki probably has the exact number somewhere.

Either way, it's an MMO from the ground up. If you don't want to play with others, there's a renewed push of new Trek content out there since the Kelvin movies came out, and moreso with DSC and the other new Trek shows in the works.

And yeah, as a mod I'm sure they're very aware of the whine-fest that follows every time a new episode mission comes out.

So I tend to agree with baddmoon here - over my years in the game, I've just had to smh over some "players" who seem to spend more time ranting on the forum than actually playing the game.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,018 Community Moderator
    I would classify Team Fortress 2 as an "online multiplayer game". STO still falls unde the MMO classification. Specifically MMORPG. Number of players per instance doesn't factor in really as Zone chat allows for communication across all instances of a map, which can connect to more than 30 players, and the fact that we're all logging into basically one server. Its not like TF2 where you choose a server running a particular map.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    MMO or OMG, both are by definition multiplayer.

My point still stands.
  • Options
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    nixboox wrote: »
    It's not a single-player game, and it never was. There's single-player content available, but even the vast majority of it can be played with others. There are probably maybe 20 episodes or so that are 1-player locked? The game's wiki probably has the exact number somewhere.

Either way, it's an MMO from the ground up. If you don't want to play with others, there's a renewed push of new Trek content out there since the Kelvin movies came out, and moreso with DSC and the other new Trek shows in the works.

And yeah, as a mod I'm sure they're very aware of the whine-fest that follows every time a new episode mission comes out.

So I tend to agree with baddmoon here - over my years in the game, I've just had to smh over some "players" who seem to spend more time ranting on the forum than actually playing the game.

It isn't actually an MMO, you know. It is an "OMG"...Online Multiplayer Game. That's why you're limited to 30 people in an instance. I can't remember if it was Cryptic or Atari who came up with that term.

Oh no, argument for the sake of argument...color me surprised that you just can't accept a differing opinion. At least you ain't attempting argue your own facts in this one...but seriously, you are gonna argue that the guy's OPINION is wrong because of what the game style is called?!? SERIOUSLY.

Especially when it didn't matter anyways. Both terms have the world multiplayer in them :lol:
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Well, the Wee Folk have to play up as everyone is taller than they are. :)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,715 Community Moderator
    Guy's dial it back, seriously.

With the unpleasentness out of the way, some folks just want to the quick and easy path is why they play up. They figure they can get carried and the group will be none the wiser. That was my experience as a tank at least in my WoW days. That's of course assuming we're talking about folks who clearly are not ready for the content and know they're not ready, yet queue for higher difficulty anyways.
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
  • Options
    xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    That's of course assuming we're talking about folks who clearly are not ready for the content and know they're not ready, yet queue for higher difficulty anyways.

I actually wonder how the percentages of different types of players playing beyond their abilities are. There are the ones who'll try whether they're ready, the ones that play because they cannot (or think they cannot) get a normal one to run, the ones who just want the rewards and be carried, well aware, but I am certain that there is also a certain percentage of players completely unaware that they're being carried by others.
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    > @baddmoonrizin said:
    > Sometimes I wonder why some of you people even continue playing this game. Your distain for it, through your writing here in the forum, is obvious. :unamused:

Which I would counter with a quotation of uncertain origin: "Dissent is the highest form of patriotism." People who didn't care about the game wouldn't bother to criticize it, they'd just leave (or possibly just post a rant and then never be seen again).
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    arionisaarionisa Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    Although I might have missed it in there, I didn't see the answer to the OPs question that first popped into my mind, that the OP himself brought up. " Nothing popped, so I added Adv as well,"...

Although I think I manage to avoid having to be carried on most maps on advanced, I generally do not que for advanced unless I get tired of waiting (or don't have time for waiting) for Normal to pop. Whether a specific TFO or just random, Normal takes a while, sometimes a long while, to pop, whereas Advanced pops almost instantly.

I can't speak for anyone but myself of course, but I am quire sure there are a number of players who really shouldn't be playing Advanced that only do so because they would rather be actually playing than sitting around waiting
    LTS and loving it.
    Ariotex.png
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    Potential response to reaction to post self-moderated ahead of time. - LtM
    Post edited by ltminns on
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    patrickngo wrote: »
    In particular, a distressingly large number of players queuing for material they're not prepared for. And the answer is both simple and complex because the demographic we're talking about is both large, and inclusive.

The simple statement "Because they CAN" is universally applicable but it's NOT the reason they're unprepared.
    Except, it kinda is. Because they can go in unprepared, expect to win, and actually be right most of the time.

Not even because there would be some better player(s) to carry them, but because the majority of the game content is literally impossible to not win.

Why should anyone bother learning to play, when it's plenty good enough to just be there when the timer hits 0?
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    well, this has gotten... destructive.

I'd like to think the forum community has more respect for other users. after the last 8 years i've been around there have been a lot of helpful people making their mark, and i'd like to think that this hasn't changed.

Has this community gotten so jaded that all we ever do is bicker over each other and leaving no room to do some good? (i mean that earnestly.)
    I'd hate to see this comunity fracture like that over little things on STO. Sure it can be annoying but i'd never expect such a lack of disrespect after all this time.

I hope y'all can take a step back and consider each other and other users for a moment, because the way this is going, it isn't helping anything or anyone.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    Players trying to get the highest reward for the lowest amount of effort isn't anything new, in any multiplayer game.

It's just kinda something you have to accept. And there's no system that can ever be put into place to fully stop them from doing it, because (hilariously) those same players will spend ungodly amounts of effort trying to circumvent the system. The will literally spend endless effort on figuring out ways to spend the minimum effort in-game :lol:

Yeah STO makes it a little too easy for people to do that, and it's annoying. But that's multiplayer games for ya. Take it or leave it.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    chipg7 wrote: »
    Players trying to get the highest reward for the lowest amount of effort isn't anything new, in any multiplayer game.

It's just kinda something you have to accept. And there's no system that can ever be put into place to fully stop them from doing it, because (hilariously) those same players will spend ungodly amounts of effort trying to circumvent the system. The will literally spend endless effort on figuring out ways to spend the minimum effort in-game :lol:

Yeah STO makes it a little too easy for people to do that, and it's annoying. But that's multiplayer games for ya. Take it or leave it.
    It's pretty much a thing in all multiplayer games though
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    That's what I'm saying - STO isn't unique in players looking for quick wins.
This discussion has been closed.