test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Is Utopian Fiction making a comeback?

lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User

First all these Star Trek Series and the Orville, and now I hear the Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure 3: Face the Music is being made with an expected release of August 21, 2020.

And yes B&T counts as Utopian fiction.

Are people just that sick of Dystopia movies and TV?

Comments

• Options
    theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,986 Arc User
    I like dystopian and grimdark, I'm still waiting for a new Dredd movie or series
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • Options
      ilithynilithyn Member Posts: 903 Arc User
      lordgyor wrote: »

First all these Star Trek Series and the Orville, and now I hear the Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure 3: Face the Music is being made with an expected release of August 21, 2020.

I've been tired of dystopias and grimdark for 20 years so I for one salute the return of utopain fiction.

And before someone gets on my case, people can have all the dystopias they want but I don't see why that seemed to mean that we couldn't also have utopian fiction along side it. Like, you want to be a depressed ***** be my guest, but dammit let me keep my dreams and hope.
      Logic is the beginning of wisdom, not the end of it.
    • Options
      Thinking about it, I'm going to include Altered Carbon as a kind of Utopian TV setting, at least season 1 on Earth.

I mean its a dark utopia, but to a transhumanist, BDSM loving capitalist its more of a Utopia then Star Trek's Earth.
    • Options
      > @ilithyn said:
      > lordgyor wrote: »
      >
      > Is Utopian Fiction making a comeback?
      >
      > First all these Star Trek Series and the Orville, and now I hear the Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure 3: Face the Music is being made with an expected release of August 21, 2020.
      >
      > And yes B&T counts as Utopian fiction.
      >
      > Are people just that sick of Dystopia movies and TV?
      >
      >
      >
      >
      > I've been tired of dystopias and grimdark for 20 years so I for one salute the return of utopain fiction.
      >
      > And before someone gets on my case, people can have all the dystopias they want but I don't see why that seemed to mean that we couldn't also have utopian fiction along side it. Like, you want to be a depressed ***** be my guest, but dammit let me keep my dreams and hope.

I think a lot of people are tired of zombie infested, backstabbing Dystopia, there is a hungry for hope and optimism.
    • Options
      redvengeredvenge Member Posts: 1,425 Arc User
      Short answer: No

Long answer: Noooooooooooooooo

Star Trek has always had a small fanbase compared to other science fiction settings. The Orville also has a small fanbase compared to other settings.

The majority of viewers watch science fiction to see "super cool" weapons blow up "super cool" science fiction staples; starships and monsters. This is why Star Trek: Discovery has added more destruction and death to it's plots so it can appeal to a wider audience.

Utopian Science Fiction is considered "boring" by the masses. It is often cited as a reason people dislike Star Trek. "Humans overcoming the need to murder, deceive and steal from one another on a widespread cultural level is completely unbelievable".
    • Options
      > @redvenge said:
      > lordgyor wrote: »
      >
      > Is Utopian Fiction making a comeback?
      >
      >
      >
      > Short answer: No
      >
      > Long answer: Noooooooooooooooo
      >
      > Star Trek has always had a small fanbase compared to other science fiction settings. The Orville also has a small fanbase compared to other settings.
      >
      > The majority of viewers watch science fiction to see "super cool" weapons blow up "super cool" science fiction staples; starships and monsters. This is why Star Trek: Discovery has added more destruction and death to it's plots so it can appeal to a wider audience.
      >
      > Utopian Science Fiction is considered "boring" by the masses. It is often cited as a reason people dislike Star Trek. "Humans overcoming the need to murder, deceive and steal from one another on a widespread cultural level is completely unbelievable".

Really, that is why CBS is making such a huge investiment in Star Trek. How many Sci Fi series are bigger then Star Trek? Star Wars and maybe Marvel, that is it. How many Sci Fi IPs have have 9 series by the end of 2019 (I don't even this Law and Order has that many TV series), with at least 4 more coming afterward, 13 movies, Action figures, dozens and dozen of novel and comic books, piles of actions figure, uniforms, conventions, how many documentaries is it now?

And I hear that the Orville is popular too.
    • Options
      starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
      Star Trek and The Orville are not strictly Utopia Fiction. TOS, TNG, and The Orville are Utopias within a Cruel Universe while DS9 and Discovery are The Darkness within Utopias.
    • Options
      theboxisredtheboxisred Member Posts: 455 Arc User
      Deep Space Nine really was a Darkness in the Utopia series. It provided an excellent contrast so that the viewer could get a sense of one and the other.

Thus far I've seen nothing Utopian about Discovery. It's the Darkness within the Dystopia, if you ask me. I still think it should just be called Outer Spaceship Fights in Space with Space Guns.

I'm hoping that we're coming to the end of the Desructionist Moral Supremacy hogwash in fiction.
    • Options
      artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
      Deep Space Nine really was a Darkness in the Utopia series. It provided an excellent contrast so that the viewer could get a sense of one and the other.

Thus far I've seen nothing Utopian about Discovery. It's the Darkness within the Dystopia, if you ask me. I still think it should just be called Outer Spaceship Fights in Space with Space Guns.

TOS was not utopian. ENT was not utopian. DS9 was not utopian. VGR was not utopian. DSC is not utopian. TNG was not utopian.
      The Federation in all of those shows had an undercurrent and a overcurrent of corruption and self serving. The Federation is post-scarcity but it has never been utopian.

DSC is certainly not a dystopia.​​
      22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
      Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
      JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
      'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
      'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
      '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
      'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
      '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    • Options
      Really, that is why CBS is making such a huge investiment in Star Trek. How many Sci Fi series are bigger then Star Trek?
      What metric are you using? Merchandise? Books? Television shows? From the Mass Effect video games to the books of Larry Niven and Isaac Asimov, there are plenty of science fiction settings with significant fanbases. Is there overlap? Certainly.

Trek has television shows, but it's fanbase is not that big. Some of the more common criticisms of Trek are: "humans are inherently terrible; this makes Trek boring and unrealistic" (Star Trek:Discovery makes sure to show you how awful humans are, while blowing stuff up) and "the universe lacks verisimilitude; rules change arbitrarily between episodes" (a trend ST:D firmly continues, unfortunately).
      Star Wars and maybe Marvel, that is it. How many Sci Fi IPs have have 9 series by the end of 2019 (I don't even this Law and Order has that many TV series), with at least 4 more coming afterward, 13 movies, Action figures, dozens and dozen of novel and comic books, piles of actions figure, uniforms, conventions, how many documentaries is it now?
      Is there money to be made with Trek? Sure. Just like with many science fiction settings. Does that mean that Utopian Fiction is making a comeback? No. Especially from what we've seen from ST:D and from what we've heard from other Trek spinoffs in the works.

If CBS is throwing money at the Trek IP, does that mean it has a "large" fanbase? No. Especially since Star Trek:Discovery has not been trending on social media for weeks. They need to decapitate more Klingon babies. That got people talking.
      And I hear that the Orville is popular too.
      Which means what, exactly? There are fewer books, movies and merchandise for the Orville than there is for Trek. By your metrics, shouldn't that mean the Orville is, by default, less popular than Lost in Space? Lost in Space had a movie AND it's getting a new show AND it has novels AND it has merchandise. Clearly, Lost in Space is more popular than the Orville.
    • Options
      jamieblanchardjamieblanchard Member Posts: 556 Arc User
      I for one welcome a nice, optimistic story.
      ilithyn wrote: »

I've been tired of dystopias and grimdark for 20 years so I for one salute the return of utopain fiction.

And before someone gets on my case, people can have all the dystopias they want but I don't see why that seemed to mean that we couldn't also have utopian fiction along side it. Like, you want to be a depressed ***** be my guest, but dammit let me keep my dreams and hope.

I totally hear ya there!

Though with that, I must question how a new Bill and Ted would work. O_o The originals are pretty much a snapshot of that era.

Resident TOS, G.I. Joe, Transformers and hair metal fangirl.

And knowing is half the battle!

21 'til I die!
    • Options
      mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
      Going by the fiction in this thread, no. :p It's looking grimdark.
      Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
    • Options
      starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
      edited March 2019
      "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
      — Sabaton, "Great War"
      VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
    • Options
      alexmakepeacealexmakepeace Member Posts: 10,633 Arc User
      I don't think we're likely to see a flourishing of utopian fiction because utopia is boring. There are, by definition, no problems, which means there's no story. In a utopian setting, the story lies not in the utopia but in the path that people had to walk to achieve it. A path full of problems of all kind, internal and external, which must be faced and solved in order to improve the world. I'd call such stories "optimistic fiction" instead of utopian fiction. Utopian fiction has little to offer us, but I think optimistic fiction is something we really do need and haven't been getting enough of.
    • Options
      smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,664 Arc User
      ilithyn wrote: »

u0Elf9N.jpg

DAMN STRAIGHT!

I myself am SICK of 'dark and gritty', that's all I been seeing for the near past 2 decades.

And people wonder why I like TOS, why I like Orville....I wanna see some OPTIMISM.
      dvZq2Aj.jpg
    • Options
      theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,986 Arc User
      I prefer a bit more grim dark myself, it's why I'm into things like Warhammer 40K and Judge Dredd
      NMXb2ph.png
        "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
        -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
      • Options
        ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User
        I prefer optimistic sci-fi myself. Not quite utopian, but close. One of the things I like about DS9 is that it shows a future where mankind has advanced, but still has flaws - still has challenges to overcome. I know people dislike DS9 because of some of the dark patches it has, but it always comes back to Star Trek's basic optimism. Paradise Lost is a great example of this.
      • Options
        azrael605 wrote: »
        A couple of years ago, before all the new shows started development, during a round of merger talks between CBS & Paramount, the Star Trek franchise was valued at 4.5 Billion, almost the exact same value as Disney paid for Lucasfilm. These are facts, your claims are not.
        Your "facts" are rubbish. Speculators put a 4.5 billion pricetag on Star Trek. They also put a pricetag on tulips, and crashed the markets in Holland. A large part of that "4.5 billion" was "potential". Paramount makes 3 Star Trek movies, yet does not make enough back to cover the cost of making them. Paramount is forced to scale back, but the actors won't take a pay cut. Now, no 4th Kelvin movie.

CBS announces a half-dozen new Trek shows, even dusting off Sir Patrick Stewart to pick up the next round of Trek. Yet, Star Trek is not trending on social media. Star Trek:Discovery is ramping up to a conclusion. Plots are being tied up and started again multiple times per episode. There is so much action, drama and stuff packed into the last 5 episodes of ST:D to pop a space whale... but, outside of it's small audience, no one is talking about Star Trek.

Trek has to share space with several creative works. Many of them are consistent with their lore and setting, which is why Trek is so harshly criticized. Trek has an audience. People watch it. It's just a small part of the science fiction genre.