test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Age of Discovery: Question about Temporal Displacement

renata666renata666 Member Posts: 284 Arc User
My question is this, at the end of the Discovery era arc, you (and your ship?) are thrust forward in time from 2256 to 2409. But is it really? or is it just you and your senior staff, as is the case with the end of the TOS arc, when your ship is destroyed at the battle of Caleb IV, as told at this link:
https://sto.gamepedia.com/Mission:_The_Battle_of_Caleb_IV

(Clarified thread title. - BMR)
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    From what I could gather, the answer is up to the player.

If you have a Discovery Era ship like the Walker or Gagarin that you want to fly.. you can assume that ship came with you. If not, you can assume the ship was destroyed and you and your crew survived. You then just play the normal arcs using era appropriate ships that are given to you.

The fate of the ship you were in is pretty much up to you I think.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,005 Community Moderator
    For TOS characters, it feels more like yea your ship was destroyed. You and your BOffs were rescued just as the ship was blowing up by Daniels.
    Discovery... I'd say that your ship was pulled forward as well, as it was caught in J'Ula's Mycelial blast. Although I can see the ship being damaged due to the previous fighting. Daniels interviened a bit to get you caught up on the 25th Century, but I think that the ship would have survived but wouldn't be worth saving due to damage and being outdated.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • renata666renata666 Member Posts: 284 Arc User
    That's sort of how I feel. I was just looking for opinions. I know that as far as playing the game goes, it may not matter. But I am attempting to write a story based on my characters as played in STO. So, for that reason, I need to know.

Thank you to all who have responded, and any who may continue to respond.
    rattler2 wrote: »
    For TOS characters, it feels more like yea your ship was destroyed. You and your BOffs were rescued just as the ship was blowing up by Daniels.
    Discovery... I'd say that your ship was pulled forward as well, as it was caught in J'Ula's Mycelial blast. Although I can see the ship being damaged due to the previous fighting. Daniels interviened a bit to get you caught up on the 25th Century, but I think that the ship would have survived but wouldn't be worth saving due to damage and being outdated.

• renata666renata666 Member Posts: 284 Arc User
    That does however, give Daniels a much different temporal problem, with an Age of Discovery crew. With TOS, he has only your character and the BOFFs to get trained and acclimated to the 25th century Starfleet. With the AOD character, we're talking about potentially over 100 people. A very interesting delimma for Daniels. :smile:
    rattler2 wrote: »

• rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,005 Community Moderator
    That depends on the crew compliment of a Malachowski class honestly. If we assume that the player character doesn't get a new ship like a Walker or a larger leveling T6, the Malachowski looks to be about the size of a Miranda. Maybe a bit smaller. So I'd say maybe a max of 80 something. Also seeing as it was a training cruise, we don't know if she was fully staffed as they weren't originally expecting trouble. Between the tutorial missions and the first Discovery mission, they may not have had time to fully staff the player's ship.

As for the problem of the crew... Daniels may have recruited the player character as a Temporal Agent, but it is possible he fully intended to allow Starfleet to handle things with the crew, such as have them go through the Temporal Displacement Office.

There's no telling where your ship would have reappeared, but its possible Daniels ensured you'd arrive at ESD.

So there might be some wiggle room for an author to decide what exactly happened.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • nrobbiecnrobbiec Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    The Malachowski class was thrown forward in time Daniels says "your ship and crew" the fiction blogs have mentioned non bridge officer characters adjusting to life in 2409. The Pioneer class was destroyed, Daniels tells you this and says you and "what crew [he] could save" or words to that effect are the only ones in the 25th century. Obviously you don't actually lose your ship for game purposes, but the intended canon is you were saved from Caleb IV and ejected from Starbase 1.

Of course what you do with your characters once they arrive can spin the yarn in many directions.
This discussion has been closed.