test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[PC] Updates to the Centaur Class

ambassadorkael#6946 ambassadorkael Member, Administrator Posts: 2,673 Community Manager
We've made an update to the venerable Centaur class, and this new look will be free to anyone who owns the ship! Coming very soon on PC, and a little bit later on Xbox One and Playstation 4.

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11110673

Comments

• mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    That was unexpected. Thanks to Ian!
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • tyler002tyler002 Member Posts: 1,586 Arc User
    Very nice looking, someone must have done it on their off-hours.

Looking foward to it.
    tumblr_p7auh1JPC61qfr6udo4_500.gif
  • captaincelestialcaptaincelestial Member Posts: 1,925 Arc User
    I've always liked the Centaur class on DS9. :)
    Thank you for the visual update :smiley:
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Of course it was done off-hours, otherwise we would have had an Infomercial Mission introduced to tout a 2,000 Zen Pack in the C-Store. ;)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • snowwolf#0563 snowwolf Member Posts: 1,018 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    Ohhhh! I LOVE it! Great work, thank you so much!
  • startrekronstartrekron Member Posts: 231 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    (Trolling comments moderated out. - BMR)
    Post edited by baddmoonrizin on
    "Live Long and Prosper but always carry a fully charged phaser, just in case!". Arrr'ow

Co-Leader of Serenity's Grasp
  • fred26291#2759 fred26291 Member Posts: 1,260 Arc User
    It looks really nice, except from an engineering point of view the torpedos are mounted to the bottom of the aft saucer section, the center of the saucer sticks down too far for the torpedos not to slice the side of the lower half of the saucer wide open as it fires :) *p.s. Just doing a little picking*
  • vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    (Response to moderated comments removed. - BMR)
    Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
  • captaincelestialcaptaincelestial Member Posts: 1,925 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    (Response to moderated comments removed. - BMR)

Oopsie :o
    Post edited by captaincelestial on
  • pwemademedothispwemademedothis Member Posts: 86 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    *Very* nice!!! :)
  • tvalavulcantvalavulcan Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    As someone who uses the existing Centaur skin, this is most welcome. Thank You.
  • tyler002tyler002 Member Posts: 1,586 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    tomilak wrote: »
    It looks really nice, except from an engineering point of view the torpedos are mounted to the bottom of the aft saucer section, the center of the saucer sticks down too far for the torpedos not to slice the side of the lower half of the saucer wide open as it fires :) *p.s. Just doing a little picking*

From what I see, it doesn't look much different to the canon Centaur Class.

The crew of these ships are apparently quite lucky torpedoes have a guidance system and can change their path, considering the canon ship fires torpedoes downwards before they level out.
    tumblr_p7auh1JPC61qfr6udo4_500.gif
  • tousseautousseau Member Posts: 1,484 Arc User
    tyler002 wrote: »
    tomilak wrote: »

From what I see, it doesn't look much different to the canon Centaur Class.

The crew of these ships are apparently quite lucky torpedoes have a guidance system and can change their path, considering the canon ship fires torpedoes downwards before they level out.
    Agreed... The torps do appear to drop down when launched...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqckAJOzpFQ

• bridgernbridgern Member Posts: 709 Arc User
    I wish they would have used the actual studio model that was used for filiming for their refernce and not the Magazine version too many details got lost.

hKwj0Tr.jpg

Bridger.png
  • rhazedurilerhazedurile Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    I seem to be having issues applying the new skin to my T6 Light Cruiser. I get an error that says, "Ship uses invalid parts"
    dZWjlSs.jpg
  • tousseautousseau Member Posts: 1,484 Arc User
    aye... customization seems to be broken with the Centaur...
  • psiameesepsiameese Member Posts: 1,644 Arc User
    Concur. The new costume template won't apply to the Advanced Light Cruiser. Be that by Template itself or applying parts individually. I will certainly enjoy it once the Ship Tailor is debugged.
    (/\) Exploring Star Trek Online Since July 2008 (/\)
  • avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    Personally I think they should've made the Centaur its own ship.
  • robertdamonrobertdamon Member Posts: 60 Arc User
    Fantastic to see the Centaur get an update. I love the Excelsior-style aesthetics and used it as my first ship way back in season three (nice to be different to all the Mirandas out there). More recently the T6 Advanced Light Cruiser has become my favourite STO ship to run. The combo of full cruiser status with excellent maneouvrability is perfect for me (plus I love the sheer number of different looks you can give it ..all that's missing now is a '60s TOS Miranda option ;-) ). The revamped Miranda parts were awesome and I run them on my TOS toons, but having the Centaur redone too is a wonderful bonus - massive thanks to JamJamz and the ship team.

Re the comments on accuracy of the model above. To be honest I found all the extra greeblies detracted from the design. Sure, they look more messy on the studio model compared to how they actually appeared in the episode due to the UV lighting pass and so on, but I think using the tidier magazine version (if that's what the team did) was a good call. Looks slicker in game, and the more prominent extra pods and add-ons below the saucer are there, so it's a good compromise IMHO.

My main toon will be giving his Sojourner and Wells-class a rest and reverting to his venerable Centaur (updated with 25th century tech in my head-canon) again once the new skins have been fixed - pulse phasers already fitted and ready to go! Shame about the bugs on launch but these things happen, and it'll definitely be worth the wait.

Thanks once again to the ship team, keeep up the good work, and please keep the late 23rd century love coming! :-)
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,659 Arc User
    Fantastic to see the Centaur get an update. I love the Excelsior-style aesthetics and used it as my first ship way back in season three (nice to be different to all the Mirandas out there). More recently the T6 Advanced Light Cruiser has become my favourite STO ship to run. The combo of full cruiser status with excellent maneouvrability is perfect for me (plus I love the sheer number of different looks you can give it ..all that's missing now is a '60s TOS Miranda option ;-) ). The revamped Miranda parts were awesome and I run them on my TOS toons, but having the Centaur redone too is a wonderful bonus - massive thanks to JamJamz and the ship team.

Re the comments on accuracy of the model above. To be honest I found all the extra greeblies detracted from the design. Sure, they look more messy on the studio model compared to how they actually appeared in the episode due to the UV lighting pass and so on, but I think using the tidier magazine version (if that's what the team did) was a good call. Looks slicker in game, and the more prominent extra pods and add-ons below the saucer are there, so it's a good compromise IMHO.

My main toon will be giving his Sojourner and Wells-class a rest and reverting to his venerable Centaur (updated with 25th century tech in my head-canon) again once the new skins have been fixed - pulse phasers already fitted and ready to go! Shame about the bugs on launch but these things happen, and it'll definitely be worth the wait.

Thanks once again to the ship team, keeep up the good work, and please keep the late 23rd century love coming! :-)

Wish we could use the Pioneer class as well for light cruisers
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
    avoozuul wrote: »

And lose the wonderful possibilities of kitbashing? Come on, do you even Space Barbie?
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.

And lose the wonderful possibilities of kitbashing? Come on, do you even Space Barbie?
    Who's to say that it wouldn't come with it's own extra parts? ;)

• noven2000noven2000 Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    [quote="tyler002;c-13487745"]Very nice looking, someone must have done it on their off-hours.

Looking foward to it.
    [/quote]

Maybe they might get a chance to do the Vor’cha and Negh’var.
    edited March 2019
    The ships they are fixing the skins with appear to be TMP era ships, I think the Oberth should come next along with a T6 update. :)

All the other standalone ships, like the Jupiter or the lockbox ships.
  • jakeng706jakeng706 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    psiameese wrote: »
    Concur. The new costume template won't apply to the Advanced Light Cruiser. Be that by Template itself or applying parts individually. I will certainly enjoy it once the Ship Tailor is debugged.

Just purchase 1 today and counter the same problem. hope they can fix it soon.
    edited March 2019

All the other standalone ships, like the Jupiter or the lockbox ships.
    I'm not sure how lockbox ships affects c-store ships in this regard.

• rickpaaarickpaaa Member Posts: 637 Arc User
    I am looking forward to playing with this as soon as the Advanced Light Cruiser custom options are debugged in the ship's taylor.
    giphy.gif
    Member since December 2009