test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Away Team Builds

orondisorondis Member Posts: 1,447 Arc User
I seem to do this once a year whenever I get bored, so here goes.

With the recent Dranuur simulation and my current burnout with space combat I decided to try to make a great away team. One capable of doing missions on elite difficulty without my captain having to lift a finger. I'll admit it's a waste of time, since most captains can solo elite missions and Cryptic hardly ever allows you to use your full away team in newer missions. To be honest they might be better of limiting all ground missions to 2 BOffs.

So, here goes:-

Away Team member 1: Kelvin Science Android (Healer)
Armour: MACO
Shield: MACO
Weapon: MACO
Power 1: Cold Fusion Grenade 1
Power 2: Vascular Regenerator 1
Power 3: Medical Tricorder 3
Power 4: Nanite Health Monitor 2
Reasoning: Basic healer setup. 2-piece Maco to regen shields, 3-piece MACO to provide passive team buff. Cold Fusion Grenade instead of Medical Tricorder 1 to avoid global cooldowns.

Away Team member 2: 700-day subscription-reward Science Android
Armour: MACO
Shield: MACO
Weapon: Split Beam Rifle
Power 1: Medical Tricorder 1
Power 2: Tricorder Scan 1
Power 3: Tachyon Harmonic 3
Power 4: Hyperonic Radiation 2
Reasoning: Hyperonic Radiation is really deadly, especially when the enemy mob has their shields stripped away. To be honest on most missions I remove Nanite Health Monitor from my healer and replace it Hyperonic Radiation.

Away Team member 3: Nelen Exil (Voth Science Officer)
Armour: Omega
Shield: Omega
Weapon: Omega
Power 1: Electro-gravitic field
Power 2: Tricorder Scan 1
Power 3: Tachyon Harmonic 3
Power 4: Hyperonic Radiation 2
Reasoning: Electro-gravatic field to hold the target in place while hyperonic radiation does it's worst. I picked Nelen Exil instead of the Reman and Borg science officers due to the self-rez ability.

Away Team member 4: K-13 Engineer Android
Armour: Iconian
Shield: Iconian
Weapon: Iconian
Power 1: Shield Regen 1
Power 2: Sabotage 2
Power 3: Shield Regen 3
Power 4: Turret Fabrication 3
Reasoning: Despite the global cooldowns, I feel it's worth taking two shield regens. Iconian set for the 3-piece active power.

I've tested them in Skimish and Broken Link on Elite difficulty and they can manage the maps without my captain doing anything. You meet a mob, they get held in place, shields get stripped and they quickly die to 2x/3x hyperonic radiation. Also the team is made up of BOffs with self-revive abilities.

What I was most suprised about was how useless tactical BOffs were. I tried different combinations and just found them to be lacking compared to science officers. Partly due to away team members hardly firing (making melee/energy damage traits worthless), but also because Hyperonic Radiation just overperforms. Engineer BOffs also have better damage skills at commander level, with turret fabrication 3. Target optics is frankly worthless, since the BOff fires so rarely. Graviton Spike looks good, but again, useless because the BOff fires so rarely. Now Lunge 3 can be astoundingly good on the very odd occasion, doing 2000 damage to a target, but it's not exactly common. The best use of a tactical BOff I can see is giving them 3x battle strategies and use it to buff your captain (since they have no global cooldown and the buff stacks). They wouldn't be so bad if they fired their damned guns.

It's the same reason I don't use Support Drones for the engineer. They basically act like an away team member and hardly fire their guns. The DPS in the tooltip misleads you into thinking they do more damage than a Phaser Turret 3. They don't come close.

Anyone got any suggestions? What's your away team build?

Previously Alendiak
Daizen - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse
Selia - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse

Comments

• jadz3jadz3 Member Posts: 107 Arc User
    edited October 2017
    I currently(on my KDF) run 2 science officers and 2 engineers for away team. I myself am a science officer. I run Gravitational Juncture, Endothermic Induction Field, Cold Fusion Flash, Vascular Regenerator(low enough cooldown to have it going nonstop), and Hyperonic Radiation. (just for laughs I call this my nuclear winter kit) In order to take advantage of my Gravitational Juncture I run boff skills that exploit the enemies being close together.
    My Engineers both run the following: Sabotage 1, Shield Recharge 2, Reroute Power to Shields 2, Explosive Drone Fabrication 3
    My Science Officers both run the following: Seismic Agitation Field 1, Medical Tricorder 2, Vascular Regenerator 2, Hyperonic Radation 2

This setup gives me a good mix of healing and AoE damage output.

As for the ground sets, I have 1 in Honor Guard, 1 in Adapted Honor Guard, 1 in Nakuhl, and 1 in Romulan operative. I'd like to get another Nakuhl set since the proc from the shield can affect your captain as well as the Boff itself.
  • usskentuckyusskentucky Member Posts: 402 Arc User
    I use all the temporal abilities and either a heal or mines or rally cry on my boffs, the entropy stacks and that temporal gravity well pulls them all together for massive aoe dmg
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    My teams are normally 2 Tacs, 1 Sci and 1 Eng. And I rarely use any special powers (aka intel, command, etc.) I stick with the normal Tac/Sci/Eng ones. Tacs do tac things, Sci is healer, and Eng does turrets/generators.
  • orondisorondis Member Posts: 1,447 Arc User
    jadz3 wrote: »
    I'd like to get another Nakuhl set since the proc from the shield can affect your captain as well as the Boff itself.

Sweet, I'm going to have to give that a go!
    Previously Alendiak
    Daizen - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse
    Selia - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse
  • annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,596 Arc User
    I run an android (eng), 2 holograms (scotty and Leeta) and the Jem hadar tac. sometimes I'll leave the jemmy home and bring a sci
    awkward.jpg
    We Want Vic Fontaine
  • casualstocasualsto Member Posts: 672 Arc User
    Some ideas:

Tac - suppresor - command spec

Take cover, supressing fire, overwatch, return fire. Weapon -full auto rifle/assault minigun

Tac - enforcer - command spec

Shock and awe, target optics, battle strategies, fire on my mark. Weapon - any.

Tac - ambusher

Battle strategies, lunge, photon grenade, ambush.

Tac - melee

Sweeping strikes, lunge, battle strategies, motion accelerator.

Tac - Support - command spec

Battle strategies, strategic analysis, overwatch, motion accelerator.

Engineer - combat support

Shield recharge, sabotage, shield generator, medical generator.

Engineer - demolitionist

Chrono mines, chrono mines, turret fabrication, mortar fabrication

Engineer - tinker

Weapon malfunction, sabotage, fuse armor, equipment diagnostics.

Science - healer

Medical tricorder, vascular regenerator, neural neuralizer, nanite health monitor

Science - offensive

Electrogravitic, sonic pulse, tachyon harmonic, hyperonic radiation

Science - disabler

Electrogravitic, tricorder scan, tachyon harmonic, paradox bomb (temp spec)
  • jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    My away team are as follows;though there could be minor variations amongst my characters. While I do include a tactical Boff, I find that I prefer science and engineer Boffs. However, I have not given any tactical Boff Graviton Spike.

Standard Boff Gear:
    - Na'kuhl Armor
    - Na'kuhl Shield
    - Plasma Wide Beam Rifle

Science Boff (x2)
    - Medical Tricorder I
    - Medical Tricorder 2
    - Cold Fusion Flash 3
    - Hyperonic Radiation

Engineer Boff
    - Sabotage 1
    - Chroniton Mine 2
    - Quantum Mortar Fab 1
    - Explosive Drone 3

Tactical Boff
    - Photon Grenade 1
    - Battle Strategies 2
    - Suppress Fire 2
    - Overwatch 3

• thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    edited October 2017
    Regardless of the char, I always have one BOff with the Temporal Specialization and another BOff with the Command Specialization. Nearly all of the Ground ablities in both of these are pretty nasty in any combination I've tried so far. I also find if I load up with Large Batteries and Hypos from the vendor, my BOffs survive the worst the game can throw at me on Elite. Unless they get taken out by a one shot kill, my BOffs will happily keep their HP maxxed all by themselves. Even when they don't need to.

To misquote the USMC, a little, "Batteries are cheap. Game time spent in Respawn is not."
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    I've got a character i haven't dealt with in a while, he was a little under the radar with gear but i have armed him with AP split beam rifles for him and his entire away team, mix between Crtd's, Crth's and dmg modifiers, three of which are epic and two others at UR. Trying something different there. i still have a little way to go on getting the right equipment for team survivability though.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • tarran61tarran61 Member Posts: 827 Arc User
    I know this is an old post but in testing these builds as is and mixing they are still applicable to the current game as it is today. Im still testing but thanks to all for their input on this in 2017.
    Positive thoughts.
    NeAC.gif
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,309 Community Moderator
    Necro. /Thread
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
This discussion has been closed.