test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

why do people hate on this game?

13»

Comments

• wingedhussar#7584 wingedhussar Member Posts: 436 Community Moderator
    Moderator warning: This thread is not about DSC. I have just split a dozen off-topic posts to a new thread in Ten Forward. The rule about not arguing about DSC anywhere else unless it directly pertains to the game is still in force.
    latest?cb=20171202101458

...THEN THE WINGED HUSSARS ARRIVED!
    Volunteer community moderator for the Star Trek Online forums. Not a Cryptic Studios or Perfect World employee.
  • After reading the tread following my last post, I now hope the op understands the answer to his question
    And now for a PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT time to get back to the grind of polishing the bugs off my bridge screens :*
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    The Skip Mission Button is now available for the 'Future Proof' Arc.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • fury#0751 fury Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    We are even shown at the end of the Iconian War that the Iconians originally just wanted to take the World Heart, go somewhere else, and start over alone. It was only after they lost the world Heart, which robbed them of all their culture, and knowledge, and forced them to be squatters in their own constructs for ages, that the Iconians undertook this revenge scheme.

And yet they transitioned, without it, from the pretty average aliens we meet to the godlike beings we meet later? And, given 200,000 years, if you can't rebuild / rediscover how to make stuff then you're not that motivated at all.

You, along with the writers, seem quite happy with aliens being 2d cutouts. Whatever floats your boat. But if you want to continue this argument please bring something more substantial than mere apologetics and insults.

• fury#0751 fury Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    mefit1 wrote: »
    I went on Facebook and a portion of people are upset at the revised character creator .

I give Cryptic props on doing it .
    I give them props on the discovery and mirror discovery arc .
    The story is good and the detailed maps are beautiful.
    I love the character facial reactions in the discovery arc .

The work on the character creator gives me hope. A fresh UI is what the game needs to get over the lack of attention that the Interface has suffered from. Not the only thing by any stretch but it’s a needed start
  • trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
    fury#0751 wrote: »
    mefit1 wrote: »
    I went on Facebook and a portion of people are upset at the revised character creator .

I give Cryptic props on doing it .
    I give them props on the discovery and mirror discovery arc .
    The story is good and the detailed maps are beautiful.
    I love the character facial reactions in the discovery arc .

The work on the character creator gives me hope. A fresh UI is what the game needs to get over the lack of attention that the Interface has suffered from. Not the only thing by any stretch but it’s a needed start

I'm hoping that mess we call the in-game UI gets cleaned up. The skill bars and such are just an eye sore of clutter.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 2,412 Arc User
    Why? Endless reasons, here's some major ones:

1. Power Activation Delay and Failure Bug: Press a Button for ground or space, watch it do nothing as you die, or activate too late and waste itself, in a game that's supposed to be pretty fast paced and filled with lots of fun abilities. Keybinding helps, but defeats the purpose when needing to toggle specific abilities or sequences of said abilities. Kills the fun for me, especially on ground. Developers cannot fix it, don't know how to fix it, haven't fixed it in years, and it won't be fixed till the servers go cold.

2. Game Balance, Nerfs, Power Creep, Obsolescence: Since delta rising expansion, the game has lost the fine line between challenging content and meaningful team work. Everything revolves around DPS and pulling your own weight do kill stuff faster. Tanks and science don't really have any roles. Items are released that are too powerful or subsequently get nerfed to the ground. New stuff is introduced by making the old borderline useless, a true hamster wheel.

3. Grind. Repeat the same content over and over for weeks at a time. Somehow, other games incorporate playing the game successfully and having fun doing so into rewards automatically. STO, it's admiralty clickies, R&D clickies, Doffing clickies, fill reputations clickies, fill fleet project clickies, refine dilithium across X characters clickies, fly places to have access to more clickies, do mini-game clickies, sell and buy on the exchange clickies, done enough of that ? Repeat since many are off-cool-down. Then repeat on other characters, get space rich and uninstall cause there's nothing meaningful to do with any of your stuff that gets replaced by next gen shinies, who in turn don't do anything since big yellow damage numbers are it. Other games you improve your skill, discover new strategies, learn and adapt to your opponents. Here, more big yellow damage numbers against punching bag NPCs.

I try so hard to have fun in this game, to not bash it too hard, since it's got some real nice settings, artwork, star trek IP, but in the end after some clicky grinds I don't even play and just move on to other proper PVP games that have ZERO real grind and 100% fun from start to finish.
    Y945Yzx.jpg
    Devs: Provide the option to Turn OFF full screen flashes from enemy ship explosions
    · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
    «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
    ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿
  • thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    Why do people hate on this game, OP?
    - Boredom
    - Because the game designers/developers had the audacity to avoid consulting you before they added something new to the game.
    - Because the greatest game designers/developers of all time will never, ever be able to make the game inside your head into something playable.
    - Because if people had nothing to complain about, then they would complain about having nothing to complain about.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
    patrickngo wrote: »
    mybm#5203 wrote: »
    i started playing like 3 months ago maybe more not sure its freaking fun and i get spok voice over for real and some other cool stuff sorry just was curiose and started watching some shows when i heard spok i was like whattttttt!!!!!!!!! when i was visiting planets i got chills game is awesome i might hate that console gets extra late but extra but im still like whatttttt!!!!!! game is awesome need to advertise more is all

it's gamers, Mybm. seriously, gamers love to b/tch moan and complain about the things they love, and it predates online games even. back when 'gaming' required pen, paper, dice and imagination, people would b/tch about rules, rules updates, scenarios, and systems, settings, why something couldn't work in real life, and so on.

if people are complaining, they're paying attention and care enough to say something. What you do NOT want, is nobody talking, because they're probably not talking due to not paying attention or not caring.

As someone who has played pen and paper since he was twelve. All I can do is...
    JBHu8F6.gif
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,354 Arc User
    patrickngo wrote: »
    mybm#5203 wrote: »
    i started playing like 3 months ago maybe more not sure its freaking fun and i get spok voice over for real and some other cool stuff sorry just was curiose and started watching some shows when i heard spok i was like whattttttt!!!!!!!!! when i was visiting planets i got chills game is awesome i might hate that console gets extra late but extra but im still like whatttttt!!!!!! game is awesome need to advertise more is all

it's gamers, Mybm. seriously, gamers love to b/tch moan and complain about the things they love, and it predates online games even. back when 'gaming' required pen, paper, dice and imagination, people would b/tch about rules, rules updates, scenarios, and systems, settings, why something couldn't work in real life, and so on.

if people are complaining, they're paying attention and care enough to say something. What you do NOT want, is nobody talking, because they're probably not talking due to not paying attention or not caring.
    Well, I'm sorry, but the Grapple rules in AD&D really were a confusing, self-contradictory mess that most of us just wound up ignoring.

:lol:
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,238 Community Moderator
    OP starts a thread guaranteed to start an argument by its very nature. /Thread
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
This discussion has been closed.