Star Wars Girl discussing Captain Marvel

Comments

• Options
    ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    > @ryan218 said:
    > brian334 wrote: »
    >
    > Playing with rumors and ideas is fun. Taking them seriously is bad for your heart. But I have to draw the line at those kids who talk so fast you have to wonder if they are talking while inhaling.
    >
    > I have to admit to a certain degree of curiosity about where Marvel goes from here. Their current cast of actors is getting older and success has allowed them to demand higher and higher salaries. Eventually they are going to need to be replaced, or at least have their roles reduced significantly. Meanwhile there are hundreds of superheroes waiting in the wings for their backstory to come out. Thousands if you count the Uncanny X-Men.
    >
    > (I wonder if Storm is a native of Wakanda?)
    >
    > Of all the incarnations of Ms./Captain Marvel my favorite is Rogue. Unfortunately, contracts and such, plus the fact that she wasn't ever in any of the Avenger-centric Marvel films, made her impossible to put into Endgame, but man, if Rogue had been there before The Snap...
    >
    > I mean, Mantis was soooo close already. Stack Rogue on top of that and you have one sleepy Thanos, no matter how stupid Quill is.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Scuttlebutt is that Marvel's semi-dropping the shared universe: I.e. each franchise will be handled separately, with maybe occasional crossover, though I think this may be speculation based on how Spider-Man Far From Home is being handled separate from Infinity War/Endgame.

No it isn'r. In fact Feigie stated that Far From Home starts right after Endgame. You just aren't understanding that all (or almost all) of the people who got dusted are coming back. In other words, the events of Infinity War are largely undone. It is probably Tony's death in Endgame that has Peter so reluctant to suit up.

Do you know what "semi" means? There's still going to be a shared universe, it's just that Marvel isn't going to be working in 'phases' like they have up until now and instead focus on the individual franchises. But thanks for assuming I'm an idiot.
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    > rattler2 said:
    > Wait what?

Aside from the fact that that is how it went down in the comics. Then there is the fact that they have not released a film yet that takes place after Infinity War, Ant-Man & The Wasp took place at the same time, and Captain Marvel is set in the 90s. Then factor in that all the heroes that got dusted have movies coming. Then there is the infamous Hulk in Wakanda trailer, people forget that Infinity War and Endgame were filmed together, a number of the actors have said tbat with script secrecy & such they often didn't know which film they were doing scenes for. So somebody in editing sent marketing clips from the wrong film, Endgame.

Dr. Strange saw 1 way for them to win in 14,000,605 possible futures, but who said the path to victory was a linear one?

Tony at the least is going down, RDJ has been on single film deals for a while, and his Sherlock Holmes 3 just got a release date set. He will sacrifice himself to save Peter, his surrogate son (who even talked like Tony through Infinity War). Steve is likely to fall as well, Evan's contract ended with Endgame so he could transition to the Stark position of single film contracts but indications are he is done. Hemsworth is still on board for Thor but his contract is up, he's getting a lot more expensive, and the only Marvel Studios franchise to get a 4th film is Avengers, so Thor 4 is very unlikely.

The events of Infinity War will be changed.

Actually there are 5 ways that they could have defeated Thanos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcEbZ_vexA8

• Options
    brian334brian334 Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
    Roadie as the new Iron Man.
    Falcon as the new Captain America, trading with Bucky, or simultaneously.
    Valkyrie
    Scarlet Witch
    Black Panther

Shuri takes over Stark's role as inventor in chief, and subs for her brother when he vanishes becoming the first female Black Panther.

There: I've just begun the New Avengers! Plots just write themselves from there!
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    brian334 wrote: »
    Shuri takes over Stark's role as inventor in chief, and subs for her brother when he vanishes becoming the first female Black Panther.

There have already been female Black Panthers in the MCU. You can see them in the Spirit World in the film.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    This is not about the marketing. That's a fig leave to hide behind, because since when do people pay that much attention to advertising? If you didn't like the marketing you'd shrug and go on. But instead you and others obsess about it. Pat you are writing essays about this ranting for weeks now. You can't tell me this is about some dumb ad campaign.

Captain Marvel is a superhero action movie. But one that is held to different standards because it features a female lead and that is sad. It neither ends sexism nor the male gender but for some reason all come crawling out of their holes whining about it. Just let it be ffs.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    angrytarg wrote: »
    This is not about the marketing. That's a fig leave to hide behind, because since when do people pay that much attention to advertising? If you didn't like the marketing you'd shrug and go on. But instead you and others obsess about it. Pat you are writing essays about this ranting for weeks now. You can't tell me this is about some dumb ad campaign.

Captain Marvel is a superhero action movie. But one that is held to different standards because it features a female lead and that is sad. It neither ends sexism nor the male gender but for some reason all come crawling out of their holes whining about it. Just let it be ffs.

Wonder Woman and Alita both had female leads in superhero action movies and they never had the backlash that Captain Marvel has received. So the backlash is not due to Captain Marvel featuring a female lead.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    starkaos wrote: »

Wonder Woman and Alita both had female leads in superhero action movies and they never had the backlash that Captain Marvel has received. So the backlash is not due to Captain Marvel featuring a female lead.
    I think the focus of youtubers and the like on certain topics is purely clickbaits, and people just follow what they bait.

After the previous DCU movies were considered more or less mediocre and couldn't hold a candle to the MCU movies, it was more interesting for people to read stories about how this movie was finally good and DCU is turning things around.

I don't see anyone following the "Marvel" controversy bothering to try to be constructive, and explain how Wonder Woman did things correctly, but Captain Marvel failed.
    Admittedly, it would be a big surprise if they could do that, considering most probably haven't even seen Captain Marvel yet, because it has only released this week! So whatever they are talking about it, it's mostly hypotheticals and wild-TRIBBLE speculation.

But I also don't remember the Anti-Captain-Marvel crowd applauding Wonder Woman and giving it positive reviews and posting videos about how this movie is a great DCU movie, with a great female protagonist.

It seems not far-fetched to see this as a sign that the interest here is more denigrating female superheroes or treating them as a sign for some anti-male agenda, rather than talking about how to get female superheroes done right.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    theboxisredtheboxisred Member Posts: 455 Arc User

It's a fig leaf for the production to hide behind.

I suspect that as they reviewed the dalies they realized that their project contained too much of what remains of last Thursdays breakfast and therefore would not perform as they wanted. So they wrap it up in different packaging in the hopes that it will either make the product more palatable, or provide them their flimsy excuse.

It's not like the Man's Science Division of Science aerosolized the Toxic Masulinity, loaded it into a torpedo, and fired it at the Lady Ghostbusters production to poison it into being a flat, badly written/improvised, garish neon dance number against the will of all involved.

This isn't about sexism within the fan base. If it were then the studios would be pointing to actual evidence that supports that claim.

where are all the petitions demanding that there be no lady super heroes, no lady starship captains no lady scientists, and no lady Jedi prior to the intended audience being either attacked or preached at? If such coordinated efforts existed surely they would have made it to the talk show circuit along with the other excuses for pumping out a garbage product. Who wouldn't use that kind of evidence to their advantage?

Hell if you really want to point at some sexism toward women I give you Star Trek: Voyager.

• Options
    Or maybe, and stick with me, I know it's a difficult concept to grasp, but just maybe, the marketing came across as denigrating to men?

Not all of us want to see women go back to the way it was in the 1800s. Things sucked back then. (See A Million Ways To Die In The West for specific examples.)

I tried to teach my girls that they could be and do anything. I would really hate to see anyone try to limit their choices. But I also want to see a future for my boy. (Well, grandkids now, all of mine are grown up.) It doesn't need to be M vs. F. And when it's made to be that, it really annoys me.

Now it may turn out, when I see the movie next year on Netflix, that I really like the movie or at least parts of it. Marvel's worst offerings so far have been, at their worst, "Not Bad." (My own rating system: Good Movie, Not Bad, Sucks, or Gimme Back My Money.) So I have high expectations from a Marvel movie. I won't know for sure until I see it. Until then, all I have is the promos to go by.
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Totally weak Point Defenses, absolutely no point defense weapons on the ventral side to protect the big guns

funnily enough, imperators have the OPPOSITE problem - that's why you so often see rebels attacking the underside of star destroyers, both in Rebels and other media; they have little weaponry there - of ANY kind, never mind point-defense​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User

WW had plenty of controversy dating as far back as 2013. A female lead (which was wrong for so many reasons), a female director (which was wrong for so many reasons) on the one end and the same "beacon light for women" nonsense on the other end (which is funny, considering that the movie's plot is WW running after her love interest who introduces her to "straight love") it didn't help that the DC movies were so terrible. And Captain Marvel faces the same nonsense, instead of just letting marketing be marketing (WW was advertised via ThinkThin for crying out loud, yet yes there was no comparable outrage there. Because it's just TRIBBLE advertising). No, for Captain Marvel we have to fear for the male gender as a whole before the movie was even released and, surprise surprise, now it is out nothing in the movie justified the mass hysteria. If it was just the marketing, let it be now, it's over. Marketing tells me cars clean the air and McDonald's saves the rainforest.
    brian334 wrote: »
    Or maybe, and stick with me, I know it's a difficult concept to grasp, but just maybe, the marketing came across as denigrating to men?

(...)

It indeed is. I am sorry, but since when is the nonsense a producer says a threat to the future of your son? This is ridiculous, decades of advertising aimed exclusively at men being outright denigrating to women but it's somehow how the world turns. Now someone says they made a movie for women and all of a sudden the future of young men is in jeopardy? I remember, you were the guy talking about emasculating Nick Fury because he pet a kitty. There are completely different issues here at play if you ask me.

The same of course is true for the "yes, they know the movie sucked" angle, no they didn't. Nothing about this movie is much different from the other Marvel movies, it is "generic" in so far as it is a super hero movie that follows a similiar formular, I don't know why people assume this movie would somehow now liberate women and introduce a new era of feminism, that's complete garbage. Both ends of the spectrum expect something from this movie that it cannot and doesn't want to provide. I even read a critic in the regular weekly German press which has nothing to do with the cinematic scene and is usually nested in politics which thinks Captian Marvel isn't "feminist enough" and WW did that so much better. Just let it be, enjoy the movie or don't but don't flip out because Brie Larson has a opinion or marketing tells you some nonsense.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    redvengeredvenge Member Posts: 1,425 Arc User
    But one that is held to different standards because it features a female lead and that is sad. It neither ends sexism nor the male gender but for some reason all come crawling out of their holes whining about it. Just let it be ffs.
    @angrytarg , you are deliberately missing the point. You are better than this.

This issue is NOT her gender. @patrickngo and others have pointed out plenty of other female led movies they like.

The issue is Larson's politics. This is not the first product that people shunned because of politics. Now, feel free to point out how they are waxing hyperbolic over politics (which is a common theme nowadays), but be honest in your criticism.

For myself, I'm not seeing Captain America because of Larson's politics. I'm not seeing it because there is an incredibly STUPID spoiler. Like, eyerolling, Picard facepalm moment awful. I'm glad I was warned of that nonsense.
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    ryan218 wrote: »
    That is a fair point: you cannot have viewer reviews for a movie which hasn't even released yet.

Agreed. Because then social media and politics may cloud the actual story.

Social media and politics have clouded the actual story. It might actually be a good movie, but there are a bunch of people that don't want to see it due to its perceived politics. The Want to See score was a way for people to protest Captain Marvel's perceived politics. If people protest against movies using politics to push their movie, then there is the hope that future movies will be judged on the basis of their content rather than their politics. There are many people that haven't seen Solo due to The Last Jedi leaving a bad taste even though Solo is a better movie than The Last Jedi.

Speak for yourself: I happen to think The Last Jedi was the best Star Wars movie since Empire. I didn't see Solo because the trailer didn't excite me and advance reviews from professional critics were terrible.
    patrickngo wrote: »
    Doesn't look like Captain Marvel is doing great according to Rotten Tomatoes, but it is currently doing better than the Thor and Captain America origin movies. It is currently sitting at 84% with an average rating of 7/10 while the Top Critics score is at 61% with an average rating of 6.11. It is currently not in the top 10 MCU Movies since that is:

1. Black Panther Tomatometer:97% Audience Score: 79%
    2. Iron Man Tomatometer:93% Audience Score: 91%
    3. Thor: Ragnarok Tomatometer:92% Audience Score: 87%
    4. Spiderman: Homecoming Tomatometer:92% Audience Score: 88%
    5. The Avengers Tomatometer:92% Audience Score: 91%
    6. Captain America: Civil War Tomatometer:91% Audience Score: 92%
    7. Guardians of the Galaxy Tomatometer:91% Audience Score: 92%
    8. Captain America: Winter Soldier Tomatometer:90% Audience Score: 92%
    9. Doctor Strange Tomatometer:89% Audience Score: 86%
    10. Ant-Man and the Wasp Tomatometer:88% Audience Score: 77%

Here is the remaining MCU movies with a Tomatometer of 80% or above:

11. Avengers: Infinity War Tomatometer:85% Audience Score: 91%
    12. Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 2 Tomatometer:84% Audience Score: 87%
    13. Ant-Man Tomatometer:82% Audience Score: 86%
    14. Iron Man 3 Tomatometer:80% Audience Score: 78%
    15. Captain America: The First Avenger Tomatometer:80% Audience Score: 74%

Haven't listed the Captain Marvel movie since the Audience hasn't had a chance to watch it.

there are two factors to remember: that 84% is pre-release. it could go up, or it could tank hard once it's in the hands of audiences, but it won't tank far, since Critic Scores are weighted higher than audience at RT, and critics were giving it a positive review overwhelmingly when all we had was a trailer and a controversy (before RT removed 'want to see' scoring the audience trending was downward, somewhere between 23% and 27%.)

Notably the critic scores were impressive with the 2016 Ghostbusters movie too, but it tanked at the box-office, and there have been several instances where critics felt a movie was very good, but audiences did not agree. Considering that Critics traditionally do not like action, Science Fiction, or superhero genres (read some of the reviewers' other reviews of genre movies), there's a viable argument that Critics weight their reviews more on external factors such as real-world political stances or social/cultural activism than on whether a movie is actually any good, particularly with genre films. (thus, why Black Panther got an Oscar nomination, while The Dark Knight didn't. You tell me which movie is more re-watchable with themes and characters that reach across time.)

So the 'Critic Score' being overwhelmingly positive is not much better than asking your Uncle Earl for his recommendation.

Last I checked, The Dark Knight won for Best Supporting Actor, which is better than Black Panther did (it won in a technical category but lost Best Picture to freaking Green Book, which is on the level of Star Wars losing to Annie Hall).
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    @starkaos

How it should have ended videos are garbage, no exceptions here.

That is your opinion. Some of their videos are far better than the actual movie. Their video on The Last Jedi is far better than The Last Jedi which is mine and likely a ton of other people's opinion. However, there was not just one way that they could have defeated Thanos which is what that video proved.
  • Options
    > @starkaos said:
    > azrael605 wrote: »
    >
    > @starkaos
    >
    > How it should have ended videos are garbage, no exceptions here.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > That is your opinion. Some of their videos are far better than the actual movie. Their video on The Last Jedi is far better than The Last Jedi which is mine and likely a ton of other people's opinion. However, there was not just one way that they could have defeated Thanos which is what that video proved.

That video proved nothing, and no their video on The Last Jedi was garbage too.

How did it prove nothing? If Thor chopped off Thanos' arm instead of going for the torso, then they would have won. Starlord crying about Gamora prevented the others from pulling the Gauntlet off of Thanos' hand. Doctor Strange using his cloak might have worked. Doctor Strange turning Thanos into a baby since Doctor Strange had the Time stone might have worked as well, but the Doctor Strange scenarios wouldn't have been as effective as Thor's.
  • Options
    They proved nothing because Dr. Strange saw all possible ways for it to go, any other path, no matter what or how, are guaranteed to fail. Cut off Thanos's arm? Fail, Strange already saw it. That the people at HISHE with their horribly limited imagination can't figure that out is no surprise.

That lousy excuse. Doctor Strange didn't see all possible ways for it to go, only 14,000,605. It is a way for Marvel to ignore possible solutions by saying that Dr. Strange saw a future where it was used and failed miserably. Dr. Strange saw 14 million different futures so why didn't he bother with 14 billion or 14 trillion to find the best possible solution? Thor cutting off Thanos' arm could have been the 15 millionth possible future that he could have saw, but didn't for some reason.

Clearly Doctor Strange has failed since they are not in the 1 path where they succeeded, but in one of the 14,000,604 paths where they failed. Having the villain succeed in his plan to wipe out half of the universe is certainly not a success.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,018 Community Moderator
    Clearly Doctor Strange has failed since they are not in the 1 path where they succeeded, but in one of the 14,000,604 paths where they failed. Having the villain succeed in his plan to wipe out half of the universe is certainly not a success.

So you know exactly how all those 14 mil+ scenarios play out? How can you claim to know he failed like that if we don't know the full extent of that one instance they actually do win? For all we know... this is exactly what is needed to win. And don't forget there's still the Timestone. Something may be going on with that too.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options

So you know exactly how all those 14 mil+ scenarios play out? How can you claim to know he failed like that if we don't know the full extent of that one instance they actually do win? For all we know... this is exactly what is needed to win. And don't forget there's still the Timestone. Something may be going on with that too.

Have no idea how all those 14 million scenarios played out, but if 14 million scenarios aren't enough, then do 14 billion scenarios. If a win requires wiping out half of the universe, then it is not a win. It is a massive failure.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,018 Community Moderator
    Again... we don't know the actual endgame. I doubt they would allow half the universe to remain dust. There's something going on. We just don't know what. All we can do is wait and see rather than judge now.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    I have often wondered, what would be the establishment reaction if a well done version of Asimov's Foundation were ever made?

It is a deep philosophical work on the rise and fall of empires and the evolution of humanity. It is a work of art at its finest, able to hold its own against any of the great classics of English Literature, and wholly overlooked by English professors.

I recall my junior high school English teacher's reaction to my book report on it. She failed my report because it was about a science fiction book rather than a 'real novel.' (Same teacher who failed me for saying that Mellville's Moby TRIBBLE was a tedious read with a thousand pages of exposition about a ten-page story. If you haven't read Moby TRIBBLE, do so and then tell me I was wrong.)

Academies naturally are inward-looking. Anything which deviates from what they value is outre, and unacceptable. The worst offense one can make is to be successful at such an endeavor.

On the other hand, look at the nominations and awards won by Borat. Mark Twain described that kind of entertainment as a 'Nonesuch', as in the play performed by The King and The Duke in Huckleberry Finn. The idea is to create something no one understands with as little content as possible. The confused audience will not wish to admit it's been cheated, and will go out and convince the rest of the townsfolk to go see it. Then, when they all realize they have been duped, the show is over, the producers have everyone's money, and they are long gone, leaving the poor victims the choice of admitting they have been taken for idiots or maintaining the illusion that they participated in something so amazing that nobody could comprehend it.

Science Fiction is the unloved orphan of the entertainment world. It is something that is attractive to a certain audience, but that audience prefers books to pep-rallies, and the people who make movies are the pep-rally kids. They don't get science, much less science fiction.

Therefore I predict that Captain Marvel will be in line for several awards this year. It's 'brave message' and 'innovative storytelling' will be backed by 'stellar performances' by the cast. Heck, it may even receive a technical award or two. (I'm betting the nomination uses at least one of the quoted phrases.)
  • Options
    lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
    > @patrickngo said:
    > angrytarg wrote: »
    >
    > This is not about the marketing. That's a fig leave to hide behind, because since when do people pay that much attention to advertising? If you didn't like the marketing you'd shrug and go on. But instead you and others obsess about it. Pat you are writing essays about this ranting for weeks now. You can't tell me this is about some dumb ad campaign.
    >
    > Captain Marvel is a superhero action movie. But one that is held to different standards because it features a female lead and that is sad. It neither ends sexism nor the male gender but for some reason all come crawling out of their holes whining about it. Just let it be ffs.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > um, NO, it's not because the Lead is female, unless you want to claim that Alien/Aliens, Terminator, (all of them), etc. were "held to a different standard because the lead is female."
    >
    > They weren't, except possibly in being THE standard other action movies were being held to.
    >
    > including Captain Marvel.
    >
    > (from reviews it's obvious she fell short of those standards.)
    >
    > get it through your head; the backlash is not because Captain Marvel is female, it's because Brie Larson's an idiot.

This sums it up perfectly.