test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Loot drop poll

2»

Comments

• disqord#9557 disqord Member Posts: 567 Arc User
    Regardless of the actual worth of the items being dropped, the Need/Greed system is just broken and stupid. Anyone you ask will just automatically hit Need when they don't actually need it.
    There's no point to keeping it instead of an automatically random system, or just giving each individual client-side drops or giving everyone the same drops.
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    Regardless of the actual worth of the items being dropped, the Need/Greed system is just broken and stupid. Anyone you ask will just automatically hit Need when they don't actually need it.
    This is because no one actually needs the gear, but everyone could use the EC and if you hit Greed you are guarunteed not to get the loot.

Personally, I'd much rather see them revamp TFO loot tables so that they include things that are actually useful.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    ruinthefun wrote: »
    Round-Robin already exists as a loot option, if you team up manually.
    The thing is, though...none of the other options OTHER than NGP actually DO anything. They have apparently never actually been implemented, because I've tried them to see if I can cut out one superfluous UI element back in the day, and the others simply had no effect. You can choose N/G/P or FFA, which is basically "no loot option", everything else is broken.
    Details please. I've used Round-Robin just fine when teamed with other players for story missions. Whoever creates the team is the one who decides what loot mode you'll use. There's a setting in your team options for this. BUT those settings don't apply to TFOs.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,018 Community Moderator
    Need/Greed doesn't apply to white quality gear. Only Green and up. So why are people complaining about needing on white gear?
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    leave it alone is my first thought. MAYBE get rid of the need part since 99% of the time someone will need every damn thing that drops. I intentionally wait to see how the first round goes. if someone needs, then on the second round if they need again I will need just for the principle.

Must be why I almost never get anything. I keep hitting "greed", and someone must always be hitting "need". Hmm, I remember that from WoW. "Well, I hit Need, because I need gold! >:) )
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    Yes, instead of the game spamming us with the same stupid question over and over, just assume everyone Needs the EC and go with that.
  • xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Need/Greed doesn't apply to white quality gear. Only Green and up. So why are people complaining about needing on white gear?

... is what I was wondering as well. Anyways, I personally don't care either way (if I thought the performance would significantly increase without the pup up I would care), NGP is nice to identify TRIBBLEs who AFK but are still there to press every need within a millisecond, otherwise nope. Gear is indeed mostly not that useful, space gear at least gives a bit of ec except for consoles, they'll turn into salvage like ground gear for me.

Having said that, I know that some people do indeed use drops to outfit their boffs and sometimes even themselves and their ships. Personally I think that would be way more efficient on mission play where you get more drops and all of them only for yourself, but for them it might matter. And while I wouldn't mind just picking up minor ec and/or salvage, for me vendor trash drops are just a part of the RPG experience, so I would miss it in a way.
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Salvage. I'll repeat that, Salvage. After they came out with Reenginering I also started running those Engineering Doff Assignments to create gear and Salvage that.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • roguealltrekroguealltrek Member Posts: 179 Arc User
    Either way is fine with me it wont effect me much or at all.

That having been said i do think the current system is better than a round robin. Say i team with a lower level player needing help on a mission that they have. I don't need mark 4 items so when the team is set to ask need or greed or pass i pick pass its there mission there loot that they can use.

Same in tfo's some times i pick need others greed this is based on the item in question. Some console i don't need yet more of or some weapon i need like i need a hole in my head i will hit greed/pass. Warp cores shields eng ect i will need not in the way of using them on my ships but salvage and or ec something i need.

I see people saying don't have white and green loot as its use less. To this i disagree white items are usable and then can be sent to other players. A free option of parts to test or look at builds before spending the materials and resources for top grade items is a use full option to have. Not just for the person that picks it up but for any one that they know, friends, fleet mates. In all reality there is what five to ten percent difference in almost anything from white to gold?

As to the green same thing only its a one person use before getting salvaged or sold. But again why buy top of the line items to test something when you have cheep options to use and decide if the ideal is worth more of a expense.

As for the pop ups taking up your screen. What screen? Its at the far left side of my screen above the chat box. I don't have a huge screen just a standard 24 inch one and it in no way blocks my screen from playing the game.
    The chat box takes up more space so this makes me wonder just how small of a screen are people playing on?

And last but not least as for how often you see this box asking you about loot is dependent on the team setting. So set it from purple level loot and you will hardly see it and when you do make a choice. TFO'S you will see it more often but just pick one and it goes away. Or if you find you cant be bothered to pick it will go away on its own with no need of any action on the part of the player.

So closing this post if it is or would be changed then so be it. But if it is not broken then don't fix it.
    To be or not to be: B)
  • trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
    ltminns wrote: »
    However, some of that trash now has Salvage value.

Go stand at a shield vendor, ground or space, and buy the Mk IV/X ones. They cost 4K EC pop and you can salvage them.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • jagdtier44jagdtier44 Member Posts: 376 Arc User
    I think it should just auto-roll for who gets it and skip the whole selection of Need or Gred
  • salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    Wrong. It is objectively bad, because your screen is cluttered with additional UI elements al lthe time that you don't actually need, because there is no meaningful choice to be made.

Wrong. That's a 100% subjective viewpoint.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    (Flaming/Trolling comments moderated out. - BMR)
    Post edited by baddmoonrizin on
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    Wrong. It is objectively bad, because your screen is cluttered with additional UI elements al lthe time that you don't actually need, because there is no meaningful choice to be made.

No, it is quite objective.

The best gear in this game never comes from loot drops.want lockbox or lobi items, fleet gear, crafted gear, or set items from missions or reputations.

That means, technically, no one "needs" anything from a loot drop. But everyone wants Energy Credits, so they can buy stuff from the Exchange that eventually gets them the actual endgame material. So, everyone theoretically should "Greed" on drops. But Greeders will alwas loose to Needers. Hence, everyone clicks Need, so they can't lose.

That means the two buttons Need and Greed are superflous. It should be at best two buttons. "Want" or "Pass". There might be a reason for "Pass" - some people hate their inventory cluttered with items they have to salvage or sell first. However, objectively speaking, this is not an optimal choice, since they miss out on EC or Salvage opportunities, and selling that stuff requires very little effort, so it's not really a big time sink.

So, what the game actually would need is to remove that Need/Greed UI and replace it with either a round-robin system, or maybe a "roll for everything as if you clicked Need in the old system" so that just because you got the last green item doesn't mean you can forget about the current purple item.

The second thing it needs is a configuration for salvaging or replicating stuff, either automatically or by pressing a button in the inventory:
    • Consumables: [Auto-Replicate] or [Keep]
    • Non-Consumable Items:
      • Keep Items with Rarity of [Rarity] or higher
      • [Recycle] or [Salvage] Items with Rarity of [Rarity] or lower
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • eazzieeazzie Member Posts: 3,999 Arc User
    (Flaming/Trolling comments moderated out. - BMR)

Cheers BMR
  • xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User

Even though it is just a technicality, I gotta say Sala is correct here. The "too cluttered" and "no meaningful choice to be made" are subjective and people may disagree (as you discussed correctly in your "want/pass" with "pass" not being the optimal choice. You may have good reasons for your feelings, and state them, and most may agree with you, it may be a wise decision to act upon these presumptions, but it still is not objective. People who feel differently are not wrong as such as they would be if it were an objective fact.

As for the "want/pass" case: I would "want" anything as well, but if somebody finds it too worrisome or annoying to take care of loot drops, even if only for 30 seconds a day, they may as well be perfectly reasonable according to their utility function (although "perfectly reasonable" people in general just do not exist).
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    xyquarze wrote: »

Even though it is just a technicality, I gotta say Sala is correct here. The "too cluttered" and "no meaningful choice to be made" are subjective and people may disagree (as you discussed correctly in your "want/pass" with "pass" not being the optimal choice. You may have good reasons for your feelings, and state them, and most may agree with you, it may be a wise decision to act upon these presumptions, but it still is not objective. People who feel differently are not wrong as such as they would be if it were an objective fact.

As for the "want/pass" case: I would "want" anything as well, but if somebody finds it too worrisome or annoying to take care of loot drops, even if only for 30 seconds a day, they may as well be perfectly reasonable according to their utility function (although "perfectly reasonable" people in general just do not exist).
    People who find it too annoying to deal with loot drops, should logically also find it too annoying to deal with bazillion spam popups asking if they want stuff over and over again.

Having the game automatically Need on everything by default would be optimal for most people, who do always want the EC. Having an option to automatically Pass, perhaps with a quality threshold, would be optimal for a few people for whom periodically decluttering their inventory isn't worth the EC. Having the game ask one by one for every item in the middle of the action is optimal for nobody.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    It is humerous that the Tholians will drop things like Jumbalaya. I guess they like their food hot.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
This discussion has been closed.