test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Most recent episode of Death of a Game featured STO ...

13»

Comments

• fury#0751 fury Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    Ultimately if you want to know the health of STO you need to know how much money Cryptic is making - there could be 1 player and if they are buying enough Zen then Cryptic will fund the future development of the Game.

And to determine that you just need to log General Chat for a few hours and count the # and rate of TRIBBLE has opened a [T6] Blah blah.

We know that the top tier ships have a ~1:400 ish drop rate from lockboxes. We know that each lockbox needs a key, and keys can only be purchased for Zen, and we know that while players can trade Zen for Dilithium, ultimately every Zen was purchased for by $, so we *know* that each [t6] box ship message corresponds to the sale of 400 Keys, or ~40,000 Zen - about $40 if I do my math right.

Last time I logged this Cryptic were making ~$6K per hour off of STO - just on the sale of Zen used to buy Keys - so STO is worth about at least $2mil in revenue annually.

The limits to this approach are:
    * how much Zen doesn't ultimately buy keys.
    * How much of the Zen isn't actually purchased but the result of LTS accounts.
    * What are the actual T6 ship drop chances from the lock boxes (and does the game only announce the ultra rare T6 drop?)
    * Does the game announce T6 ship openings reliably.
  • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    Don't care
    Its not dead its just giving the appearance that the life support tubes are slowly being extracted.
  • theanothernametheanothername Member Posts: 1,504 Arc User
    Agree with the video
    azrael605 wrote: »
    > @theanothername said:
    > Everyone that might want to correct him:
    > Hello and welcome fellow trekkers and supporters alike. I hope you enjoyed this episode, we made sure to get extra Trekkie for it while also attempting to tell a compelling story about what Star Trek is about and how it was realized in STO doesn't match up with that. And how the title although constant in it's concurrent playerbase, still relegated to a fringe MMORPG.
    >
    > As I will be doing in the future from now on, on my next podcast (3/11/19 at 12PM EST +6 GMT) I will do a "post DOAG analysis" where I talk about the video, points I wish I made, and even dive into common criticism I receive in the comments. If you also are passionate enough to voice your concerns to me on Discord, we can have a voice chat about your criticism on the podcast. Open floor to any and to all. Thanks for the support everyone.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > https://discordapp.com/invite/xrSvSbB
    >
    > First pinned post on that YT clip. I watched quite a lot of his DOAG clips; he usually is quite analytical and prepares. Its not one whom throws stuff around just for attention. I'd say (well as kind of he himself in the clip) STO is probably the least dead game ever he covered.

His information is largely incorrect, at best years out of date. He couldn't even be bothered to log in to the game to get an up to date overview and he seems no more accurate or reliable than Midnight's Edge.

I provided the links; now got get him! :)
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Disagree with the video
    nixboox wrote: »
    Also I think he recorded this before the news regarding the Foundry being shut down because he doesn't say anything about that, but he doesn't mention the Foundry at all anyway so idk how that would have impacted his assessment.
    Its a self-defeating position. This guy has to make videos that controversially call out a particular game in order to generate hits to his channel. He's not going to realistically review or even acknowledge a video game beyond the fact that he wants you to watch until the end...regardless of what he actually says. You might as well be watching Mukbangs for all the useful information you get.

In other words - Youtube is not a valid source from which you should get your information about, well, anything.
    That or translate his video into Martian:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YklZBA9UBjc
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    ruinthefun wrote: »
    Seriously? They did that?
    Seriously. It was more common back in the early days, but there was a guy who suddenly got congratulations in the clan channel for "winning" something...except he had quit the game months ago and was merely hanging around in the teamspeak without playing the game, when his name was chosen for fakenews.

Meaning, you can't trust those announcements at ALL. Some real events don't get reported if some guy wins TOO much, and if the day is being particularly slow, they'll report fake news to make it seem like something is happening.

It is incredibly stupid for them to do it since it is easy to verify. I won a couple of Lockbox ships years ago and I was spammed with messages from people asking to buy the ship for a few million EC. Was willing to cut off 10 million EC from the going rate in the Exchange, but no takers so I just threw them in the Exchange.

If Cryptic wanted to do this scheme properly, then they would just publish the character name like Neverwinter. It is far easier to contact Kirk@Kirkfan2265 than it is to contact the Drizzt that won the grand prize in Neverwinter.
  • tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    Foundry is closing due to this issue... no one left from the original dev team who built this game... exploration is long gone, no more foundry... what's left? grinding ques 14 teams to get a dohicky? not enough new content to keep game going... and alot of Trek fans dont like Discovery... so adding that to the game isnt really a plus for those folks.
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,302 Community Moderator
    Well, this has been fun. The game isn't dying, so we'll just call this a doom thread. /Thread

zx69h7v.png
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
This discussion has been closed.