test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Loot drop poll

eazzieeazzie Member Posts: 3,979 Arc User
Borticus has tweeted.
Any thoughts on removing Need / Greed / Pass in STO? What if the default (and unchangeable) loot distribution method was always Round Robin.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Loot drop poll 54 votes

Yes I like this idea
37% 20 votes
No keep the system as it stands
38% 21 votes
Not bothered either way
24% 13 votes

Comments

• where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    I can't figure out what does this mean??:
    "What id the default (and unchangeable) loot distribution method was always Round Robin."

But this question does not pertain to me because I just take anything that drops.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • eazzieeazzie Member Posts: 3,979 Arc User
    where2r1 wrote: »
    I can't figure out what does this mean??:
    "What id the default (and unchangeable) loot distribution method was always Round Robin."

But this question does not pertain to me because I just take anything that drops.

Round robin .... a tournament in which each competitor plays in turn against every other.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,969 Community Moderator
    Need/Greed is more optimized for gear that is usable more by specific classes. In space the only real thing that anyone would probably not hit Need on is Warp/Singularity cores because Warbirds are the only ship that uses Singularity Cores. On the ground its a bit more viable because of Kit Frames and Kit Modules being class specific. Why would a Tac Need on a Science Kit Frame?

I believe the original intent of such a system is to allow for those who can acutally use them to hit Need, while those that can't but want to sell it would hit Greed.

My fleet's generally just accepted that we hit need on everything because honestly the Need/Greed system in STO is somewhat unnecessary as there is really no class specific gear to warrent the Need/Greed as much as say in Neverwinter or some of the other games out there. Now if we started getting more class specific gear that could change. But as it stands now its not exactly optimal for a game where you can use just about everything on any character.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    99% of the loot from group content is trash anyway so I honestly couldn't care if it just gets distributed randomly or whatever.
    Not like anyone is going to get rich through the loot drops in this game like you used to be able to.

At the end of the day it's one less pop-up on my screen and less load for the server to post them up and handle the responses so that can only be a good thing.
    SulMatuul.png
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    I’m good with things the way they are.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    However, some of that trash now has Salvage value.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,501 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    It should just default to greed and skip showing the choices at all. Failing that, doling out pieces to each player in turn is fine.
  • alonaralonar Member Posts: 280 Arc User
    I'd be for dumping random loot completely and just giving salvage instead, its all vendor trash/salvage now anyway.
    alonar wrote: »
    I'd be for dumping random loot completely and just giving salvage instead, its all vendor trash/salvage now anyway.

And how will someone get ECs besides Endeavors alone? Because you kinda don't have access to that until endgame.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    This is one of the very few places that console does it better since they simply drop the loot for a player not the group and you don't have to check to see its if food trash or gear trash before you roll.

The downside is the autolooting radius is totally backasswards with space requiring you to get up close and impersonal to the item while ground will happily give you the junk in the next room over.
  • sistericsisteric Member Posts: 768 Arc User
    I believe that it should be an option to pass or get it. And it needs to stay as item to leave the option to get either ec, salvage or use it.
    Federation: Fleet Admiral Zombee (Alien Tactical)::Fleet Admiral Danic (Vulcan Science)::Fleet Admiral Daniel Kochheiser (Human Engineer)
    KDF: Dahar Master Kan (Borg Klingon Tactical)::Dahar Master Torc (Alien Science)::Dahar Master Sisteric (Gorn Engineer)
    RR-Fed: Citizen Sirroc (Romulan Science)::Fleet Admiral Grell (Alien Engineer)
    RR-KDF: Fleet Admiral Zemo (Reman Tactical)::Fleet Admiral Xinatek (Reman Science)::Fleet Admiral Bel (Alien Engineer)
    TOS-Fed: Fleet Admiral Katem (Andorian Tactical)::Lieutenant Commander Straad (Vulcan Engineer)
    Dom-Fed: Dan'Tar (Jem'Hadar Science)
    Dom-KDF: Kamtana'Solan (Jem'Hadar Science)

CoHost of Tribbles in Ecstasy (Zombee)
  • salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    And give them a chance to introduce new bugs? No thanks.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.

There will ALWAYS be new bugs. Such is the nature of the MMO. Every time they fix or add something, something somewhere else may break.
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »

And how will someone get ECs besides Endeavors alone? Because you kinda don't have access to that until endgame.

Replace the loot with both EC and salvage. Unless they add some unique and desirable loot to the game it's all pointless anyway
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    edited March 2019

There will ALWAYS be new bugs. Such is the nature of the MMO. Every time they fix or add something, something somewhere else may break.
    That's 100% correct and this is why nothing should be changed unless it's essential or the upside is so high that it's worth it. New story episodes? Heck yeah, bring it on. A new system that doesn't replace a perfectly fine and functioning sytstem? GIMME. But in this case, there's virtually nothing to gain. Nothing is currently broken. Nothing about loot drops is objectively bad. It's possibly a little outdated sure, but it works just fine.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • risian6#1997 risian6 Member Posts: 128 Arc User

Replace the loot with both EC and salvage. Unless they add some unique and desirable loot to the game it's all pointless anyway

Good idea. Well, mostly.

Some stuff like beverages, food and hypo sprays - basically anything that can be replicated - should definitely be removed as loot drops and just automatically get turned into EC.
    Formerly known as Risian4. Risian6 is my new PS4-account. Fleetcaptain5 is my main PC account. I hope to actively play again on PC in a few months.

Now that that's made clear... on to the next issue: when are playable Voth coming, and where's are my T7 Vesta and C-store purchasable real life shuttle? :)
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User

Good idea. Well, mostly.

Some stuff like beverages, food and hypo sprays - basically anything that can be replicated - should definitely be removed as loot drops and just automatically get turned into EC.

The gear too, all of the gear drops in this game are generic garbage that aren't worth using. You're much better off using gear from crafting, reputations, fleet holdings, or loot boxes.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
    Why do white and green quality gear still exist anyway?

They're not just useless as drops, they basically serve no purpose at all.

Ok, there's still some EC value there - but that indeed means that they might as well simply change the system so that we get simple EC drops more often in place of what used to be white and green stuff.

It would certainly make the game more enjoyable if you don't have to clean up your inventory after spending 10 minutes in a battlezone. Keep the rarer stuff as drops, turn the lower rarities that won't ever be used into EC drops.
    Formerly known as Risian4. Risian6 is my new PS4-account. Fleetcaptain5 is my main PC account. I hope to actively play again on PC in a few months.

Now that that's made clear... on to the next issue: when are playable Voth coming, and where's are my T7 Vesta and C-store purchasable real life shuttle? :)
  • vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,843 Arc User
    leave it alone is my first thought. MAYBE get rid of the need part since 99% of the time someone will need every damn thing that drops. I intentionally wait to see how the first round goes. if someone needs, then on the second round if they need again I will need just for the principle.
    Spock.jpg

Good idea. Well, mostly.

The gear too, all of the gear drops in this game are generic garbage that aren't worth using. You're much better off using gear from crafting, reputations, fleet holdings, or loot boxes.

Of course, but for casual players such gear might be less interesting than the stuff they can easily pick up. Even for those kind of players, white and green is probably useless though.

Oh and to be fair, I sometimes put some blue and purple stuff on Boffs if I can't be bothered to get some good stuff for them.

• mybm#5203 mybm Member Posts: 35 Arc User
    ima ne player it was easy to understand i liked it dont change it
  • vendoodvendood Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    I would just set a default option. People who think its all junk and inventory clutter they'd rather not deal with could set a Pass default, most people would set it to Need (since it seems most people do that now anyway), people in teams/fleets etc. that set their own rules would turn default rolls off and use whatever system they prefer.

Edit: If I was confident of the programmers, I would also set a default:
    - Convert to EC
    - Salvage
    - Retain items

Two simple pairs of defaults that would pretty much resolve loot drop/inventory issues for most people, I'd guess.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    Thanks for the clarification, its barely deciferable now, and I for one would absolutely despise a round robin system, and I can't think of anyone I know who would like it.
    The way Round Robin works is that when significant loot drops the game automatically gives it to someone and rotates so that everyone gets something. It's still random whether you get the good drops or not, but it's random with Need-Greed so that's not really a change. The real benefit isn't the loot distribution but how you don't have to deal with the annoyance of those stupid popups over and over.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • duasynduasyn Member Posts: 492 Arc User
    We already have a combo of need/greed and round robin in the game.
    Garbage white stuff is RR, and the rest is N/G.

But:
    1.) nobody cares about white vendor trash
    2.) everybody needs everything anyway

So just set everything to auto-need? Streamlines things and makes fewer boxes pop up on screen to distract people and block view of things. Or maybe set it to round robin everything? I guess you'd have to do some tests to see what is more 'fair' distribution.

Say 1 VR thing drops in a TFO.
    If auto-need everyone technically has a chance at it.
    If RR, 4 people have no chance at it cause it dropped off that end boss and it just happened to be Player 4s turn for loot.

With RR you are 'guaranteed' to get stuff. It may be garbage, but you get stuff.
    With auto-need RNG, you could run a TFO and get absolutely nothing or absolutely everything.

Or get rid of all loot drops in TFOs and just give all players a random loot box at the end along with their marks? Could even be a 'here's X things, pick one' type of box. We already have that mechanic in game already.

There are plenty of different ways to drop loot. All have pros/cons.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited March 2019

Round-Robin already exists as a loot option, if you team up manually.
    But Queues always set to Need/Greed, and it is just completely superflous.
    Nothing about loot drops is objectively bad. It's possibly a little outdated sure, but it works just fine.
    Wrong. It is objectively bad, because your screen is cluttered with additional UI elements al lthe time that you don't actually need, because there is no meaningful choice to be made.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
This discussion has been closed.