What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Why Walker class and not Crossfield Bridges for DSC Ships

2»

Comments

• Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Right under the Conning Tower, an area exposed outside the main hull.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    tyler002tyler002 Member Posts: 1,586 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    Still inside the body of the craft, more than can be said for surface ships and many of the Sci-Fi ships based on them.
    tumblr_p7auh1JPC61qfr6udo4_500.gif
  • Options
    jrdobbsjr#3264 jrdobbsjr Member Posts: 431 Arc User
    > @tyler002 said:
    > Bridge placement in Star Trek is probably less 'Rule of Cool' and more another example of Trek copying the real life Navy, which usually has the bridge on ships in more or less the same exposed location.
    >
    > The only exception I know of is Submarines, where the bridge is in the middle of the craft.

That is the Control Room, on the surface they do use the bridge, on top of the sail, but the Bridge watchstanders do not actually con the boat.....they send orders down to the Control Room.

On Surface warships, the ship is actually fought from the CIC, deep inside the hull. in the BBs, it was inside the armored Citadel for maximum survivability. While the Walker bridge is kewl, and not out of line for a science vessel.....it’s a poor location for the control of a fighting ship as a direct hit to it would wipe out the CO, XO, and most of the Department heads in one shot.
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    The stupidity of the distances that they use belies that. Since, for the most part, maximum combat distance is 10 km. Much shorter than some ship battles in WWII.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    jrdobbsjr#3264 jrdobbsjr Member Posts: 431 Arc User
    Well, if they used some of the ranges bandied about in episodes there would be no escaping. Also, scaling is off anyway as planets should be humongous compared to even the biggest ships
  • Options
    cylus566cylus566 Member Posts: 84 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    I would like to see the wrath of Khan bridge, since they have the excursion jacket, the wrath of khan uniform and phaser, now genesis?

All were missing is a bridge set, the motion picture bridge, the wrath of khan bridge and the undiscovered country bridge.

let's see those wrath of khan bridges.

a bridge designer, would be cool too, but I doubt we will ever see that.

there is no up or down in space so top or bottom locations for the bridge is kind of pointless.
This discussion has been closed.