test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Really enjoying the Dyson Ground Battlezone (where else is like this?)

littlesarbonnlittlesarbonn Member Posts: 486 Arc User
One of the things I never really got into while playing the game in the past is the battle zones. Due to the endeavor system, I've actually started running into those more (so, yes, they have been productive this way). Lately, I've been playing a LOT of Dyson ground battlezone missions, and I've really enjoyed them, especially cause there are other people there doing the same thing.

So, the question I ask: Are there other ground battle zones people use and like?
Fleet Admiral Duane Gundrum, U.S.S. Merrimack
Fleet Admiral Ventaxa Proxmire, U.S.S. Shaka Walls Fell
Blog: http://www.sarbonn.com/?page_id=1990
Foundry series: Bob From Accounting & For the Sake of the Empire
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on
Tagged:

Comments

• warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    Dyson is the only ground battlezone.

But there are multiplayer adventure zones on Defera, New Romulus, Nukara, Nimbus III, and Kobali Prime.
  • littlesarbonnlittlesarbonn Member Posts: 486 Arc User
    warpangel wrote: »

But there are multiplayer adventure zones on Defera, New Romulus, Nukara, Nimbus III, and Kobali Prime.

The thing I've liked about Dyson is it all builds towards final battles, which makes it all seem worth it. Really wish there was more of that in the game, especially with ground combat. It might make more people want to participate in ground warfare.
  • zerokillcf2011zerokillcf2011 Member Posts: 545 Arc User
    Kobali has the found missions that lead up to the Boss Battle. Good rewards too actually. Always has players in it too.
    Kobali has the found missions that lead up to the Boss Battle. Good rewards too actually. Always has players in it too.

Which makes me even more concerned that nothing I can do seems to allow me to access these missions. Will be trying to activate it again this weekend (have the first mission now, but it won't let me access the planet).
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,973 Community Moderator
    edited March 2019
    There are space battlezones that follow a similar forumla as the Dyson Ground Zone. Undine, Badlands, and Gon'cra to be specific. Each one has a set of zones that need to be controlled before it triggers the boss fights. Undine and Badlands have the added bonus of "if you beat all three bosses, it triggers a bonus phase". The bonus phase for the Undine battlezone is waves of Voth you can kill. Same with the Badlands, but with Terrans led by Admiral Leeta and the ISS Enterprise.

Basically those bonus phases are Turkey Shoots where you just see how many you can kill in the alloted time for bonus rewards.

Gon'cra... is kinda 50/50 on functionality right now. Either it does work or it doesn't. And fighting Tzenkethi... is tougher by default as well.

I didn't mention the Gamma Quadrant because functionally it is different than the others, as you have to go to specific sectors and queue up for missions to advance the bars, then you have X amount of minutes to beat as many "Boss queues" as possible. No zone capping invovled. Calling it a battlezone doesn't feel right IMO. Its more of a "rapid response red alert zone" if you ask me.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    I didn't mention the Gamma Quadrant because functionally it is different than the others, as you have to go to specific sectors and queue up for missions to advance the bars, then you have X amount of minutes to beat as many "Boss queues" as possible. No zone capping invovled. Calling it a battlezone doesn't feel right IMO. Its more of a "rapid response red alert zone" if you ask me.
    It's a sector-sized queue window if you ask me.
    And yeah, I know about all the space battlezones. I'm looking for ground battlezones.
  • lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    The Gamma “battle zone “ is frankly an insult to all the others, even the Gon’cra zone which is barely functional most days.

It’s essentially just a sector wide queue system, like the TFO system but with the added pain in the TRIBBLE that you need to fly round the whole area to take part in queues. And then you’ll probably find you’re the only person there too so the rewards worth be TRIBBLE.

Not worth it.
    SulMatuul.png
    lordsteve1 wrote: »
    The Gamma “battle zone “ is frankly an insult to all the others, even the Gon’cra zone which is barely functional most days.

It’s essentially just a sector wide queue system, like the TFO system but with the added pain in the TRIBBLE that you need to fly round the whole area to take part in queues. And then you’ll probably find you’re the only person there too so the rewards worth be TRIBBLE.

Not worth it.

The one advantage of that battle zone is the Gamma Marks. It's basically the main reason I do it at all.
  • bubblegirl2015bubblegirl2015 Member Posts: 830 Arc User
    warpangel wrote: »

Yeah pretty much this. I also enjoy so much more ground than space battlezones. Voth is probably very unique and combines the right number of players needed to get something done fairly quick yet enjoyable at the same time. I wish Devs would use this model for more ground battlezones to come (if any). IMO Kobali is a close second but bit more clunkier than Voth.​​
    Wiki editor http://sto.gamepedia.com
    Original STO beta tester.
    One thing I've started noticing is how difficult it is to survive as a tactical captain in ground warfare. Obviously, I'm doing something seriously wrong, and I just can't seem to figure out what is is (as I've noticed other tactical captains doing just fine). My engineers and science officers do so much better.

I've also noticed a whole bunch of abilities that other captains have that I've never even experienced before, which makes me wonder how much content over the years I seriously must have missed.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    One thing I've started noticing is how difficult it is to survive as a tactical captain in ground warfare. Obviously, I'm doing something seriously wrong, and I just can't seem to figure out what is is (as I've noticed other tactical captains doing just fine). My engineers and science officers do so much better.

I've also noticed a whole bunch of abilities that other captains have that I've never even experienced before, which makes me wonder how much content over the years I seriously must have missed.
    *insert standardized build request here*

Seriously, What gear/kit modules/Doffs/traits/spent skillpoints/whatever I might have forgotten?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    edited March 2019

*insert standardized build request here*

Seriously, What gear/kit modules/Doffs/traits/spent skillpoints/whatever I might have forgotten?

Off the top of my head (just trying to remember), my tactical captains have:

Armor is mostly Omega anti-borg stuff, cause I do a lot of borg missions on ground (and it's about the only combat I do REALLY well). However, I would be quite willing to switch out to another type of armor and weapons if you had better suggestions.

Kits:
    Some version of photon grenade (all purple , at least XI, most often XII or higher)
    Motion Accelerator
    Rally Troops (or whatever that one is called)
    I forget the name of it, but a type of orbital strike for tactical captains (can't even remember its name right now, but it does serious damage when its active)
    And honestly, don't remember the rest of them, but none of them are highly significant.

Perhaps a better approach might be to get suggestions of what abilities and kit abilities I should be focusing on with a tactical captain, cause no matter how many years I've played, my ground combat for a tactical officer really sucks. It's great for all other classes. Just not tactical.

I've noticed that when I've searched (and believe me, I've searched A LOT), tactical captain abilities almost always focus on ship combat. I have that down great. As a tactical captain, I'm completely deadly in space. On ground, I'm the Pillsbury Doughboy.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    I like to build tacs with a mix of buff and attack powers. Rally Cry is good, SPAM IT. Overwatch is another great one. You don't need to have full-offense unless you're trying for massive spike DPS. Tacs have very few heal abilities, but they do have damage resist buffs. Using those will greatly improve your survival.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    Also if you want to keep some anti-Borg stuff... I'd go for standard MACO. 2 set bonus is a shield heal that can help in a pinch. And maybe even look into picking up a rifle or something from a fleet Colony.
    STO Wiki wrote:
    Elite Fleet Colony Security weapons represent the union of Lukari and Kentari design philosophy. The design has the capability of releasing restorative protomatter into the user's body and PSG, Restoring Shields and Health based on your Critical Severity.
    https://sto.gamepedia.com/Elite_Fleet_Colony_Security_Plasma_Split_Beam_Rifle

Colony weapons come in all flavors.

How I usually run with the MACO is I have the armor and shield equipped, but have the rifle in my inventory. While I don't need the rifle on my main due to having a TR-116, my other characters aren't as lucky. I'd swap in the rifle for the 3 piece remodulator, but for everything else I just run different weapons.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,985 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    Three piece Tzenkethi ground set on my ground build
    Post edited by theraven2378 on
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
      Three piece Tzenkethi ground set

Isn't that a Lobi set?
      rattler2 wrote: »
      Three piece Tzenkethi ground set

Isn't that a Lobi set?

Is it? Because if it is, I have about 2000 lobi right now that I could use to pick such a thing up.
      I like to build tacs with a mix of buff and attack powers. Rally Cry is good, SPAM IT. Overwatch is another great one. You don't need to have full-offense unless you're trying for massive spike DPS. Tacs have very few heal abilities, but they do have damage resist buffs. Using those will greatly improve your survival.

Much appreciated (and to those who responded after as well). I will look into this later this afternoon after work. Like I said, tac captains aren't my specialty. Dying is my specialty. Okay, not really, but it is on the ground with a tac officer. Trying to change that.
    This discussion has been closed.