test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Foundry Sunset, April 11th, 2019

Comments

• madhatch1971madhatch1971 Member Posts: 196 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    Given the Foundry broke every time their was a game update, and the fact it can be seen as an exploit for finishing personal Endeavours... It makes sense to retire it.

I think it would be nice if a replacement could be made, but if that means diverting people, time and energy away from development of new missions/content for the game, then yes - it's time for it to go.

It is sad. It will be missed. I played some amazing missions on, and a few not so great ones. BUT if this means the Devs can spend more time on new content, I'm all for it.
    People ask how long have I been playing STO - well the answer is simple: I have been here since the beginning. I just haven't always had a lot to say.
  • ee3452pee3452p Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    In my opinion a very bad decision. Player-made content makes a game thrive, people put their time, their energy, their creativity into a game. And this makes loyal customers. Taking that away also takes away the incentive to spend time and energy in a game, and in essence, also money. So saying that "the foundry can't be monetized" is wrong, it has very indirect but feelable effect upon people spending money on a game. And thats what you want, Cryptic, thats what you want.

Now, if you say, "old the system is a clumpsy mess", fine, than give us a new, shiny cleaned up version. Really really consider working on a Foundry 2.0 that doesn't break with every update. I'll leave the technical details to the code monkeys.

I would also highly consider leaving the current foundry with all features and episodes ingame. Maybe just create a completely separate version of STO based upon the current live version that can use the foundry. I'd be fine with having 20Gigs of extra data on my harddrive if I can still use the foundry. Perhaps optional so people may choose if they want to download it. We have this system already with the Tribble test server.

Right now, the Disco Operations pack was a move into the wrong direction. I'm fine with the content, but not with the price you wanted for it, so I did only pick the two Fed ships out of it.

Now closing down the Foundry is another step into the wrong direction IMO. Just listen to the fanbase, give them what they want, and you will get money in return. Earl Nightingale once said:"Most people sit in a cold room in front of an empty oven, and they say:"Give me heat, give heat." And if the oven could talk, he would say:"It doesn't work like that mate. First give me firewood, than I can give you heat."
    A zero cost way for Cryptic to finance and expand the foundry

https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline#/discussion/1247522/foundry-sunset-april-11th-2019/p15

Look at my post about a Foundry Ship

BRING BACK THE FOUNDRY!
  • marcase2marcase2 Member Posts: 103 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    ((( Thanks Kael ! )))

Yes, I mean that (and not in any sarcastic way). Your livestream yesterday did a lot to soften the blow. I'm still annoyed but I've cooled down enough to put it in its place.

Just posting this here again https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uA1fGVBhmpk

I know you guys at Cryptic get a lot of flak from us the players but that's because we care (because of time/money invested), but I also know (from Al Rivera's interviews on P-One and elsewhere) you tried, which Kael reaffirmed.

I really appreciate that you guys are making a back-up of all foundry maps, and although not accessible (for now) just knowing some of the absolute gems in there will not Boldy Go Where No Foundry will return from is sort of a relief. And I'm also aware the foundry is a pain to update after every expansion - however I didn't realized how much of a different system the foundry and STO proper are. Not apples/oranges, but apples/furry tribble underpants (dont' judge me).

I'm showing your livestream to my fleet mates and it did settle some heated arguments, so kudos for that.

LLAP
    Post edited by marcase2 on
    Marcase-Medal-banner-2.png
    The Mighty 44th. Boldly bashing Borgs to bits since 2010.

• knochengeigerknochengeiger Member Posts: 89 Arc User
    This is devastating news and a terrible decision. STO became less and less Star Trek. The Story writing of most content is an insult to intellectual Star Trek Fans, the gameplay even more so. Pew Pew and nothing more. No exploration, no making contact with new Life. Only Pew. The Foundry was the only place where you could find really good and Trekworty stories. And now that is removed too. I would rather have all "regular" STO shut removed and keep only the Foundry alive.
    We want to keep the foundry.
  • ee3452pee3452p Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    "Give them what they want" doesn't work when your fanbase wants everything, including contradictory things.

A large amount of community reaction about this step seems to be negative, so they DO want to have a functioning foundry. I certainly do, simply because there is more great story content in there. I just watched Youtube videos from ZEFilms and Counteryologaming, and they both are negative about it.

I have an idea. If Cryptic cannot keep up with the Foundry, what about they make it OpenSource or let some CodeMonkeys from the community at the Code. Perhaps just a few people who are willing and able. A lot of community projects/Mods require a damn lot of programming, perhaps there are some people here willing to take a look at the code or help create a Foundry2.0. I mean, look at Star Trek Armada III (a Sins of the Solar Empire mod) or Star Trek New Horizon (a Stellaris Mod), all great fan-made things. Perhaps some people in the community are willing to work for some promotional ships or a "Savior of the Foundry" title.
    A zero cost way for Cryptic to finance and expand the foundry

https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline#/discussion/1247522/foundry-sunset-april-11th-2019/p15

Look at my post about a Foundry Ship

BRING BACK THE FOUNDRY!
  • claudiusdkclaudiusdk Member Posts: 561 Arc User
    So any infomation on when we get the badges?
    "Please, Captain, not in front of the Klingons."
    Spock to Kirk, as Kirk is about to hug him.
    Star Trek V: "The Final Frontier"
  • fadamsxiicrypticfadamsxiicryptic Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    BUT if this means the Devs can spend more time on new content, I'm all for it.

You must be very new to the game if you believe that's actually going to happen.

I've been playing for 9 years, but I don't think I'll be here for 10.

The foundry was about the only reason I still play and with it gone, I don't really have a reason to log on anymore. I'm kind of upset I just spent around 30 dollars on the game.

Y'know, back when the F2P switch happened a lot of people said it would turn the game into a South Korean grindfest with no real story. I said it wouldn't and the reason it wouldn't was the Foundry. What irks me is that basically you're just proving all of the naysayers right. It kind of makes me sick.

The fact that Matt, probably the most prolific author who uses the forums is here should be a clue to you, same with the universally negative reaction except for a forum moderator who clearly believes this developer can do no wrong. I'm curious to see what Duncan's reaction is, I know it won't be pretty, but it'll be fair and reasoned.

The fact that the vets and the authors are as angry as they are should be news to you. Glad I didn't shell out for the lifetime sub last week like I almost did. I'd be absolutely furious and I'm far from being happy about this as it is.

I am a Starfleet Officer first, but an Intelligence Professional second to none. With pride in my heritage, but focused on the future. Performing the first task of an Army; To find, know and never lose the enemy. With a sense of urgency and of tenacity, professional and physical fitness. And above all: Integrity--for in truth lies victory. Always at Silent War while ready for a shooting war: The silent warrior of the Starfleet team

Original Join Date: 19 December 2010
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,301 Arc User
    On April 11, we are sad to announce that we will be sunsetting the Foundry system for Neverwinter and Star Trek Online. Join us for a livestream at 3pm PT today for more details.

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11102923

Live stream did not stream for me. Thumbs down for the decision to remove the foundry.
    I hope there is an option that Spotlight missions will be transformed into regular missions. There are tons of planets with nothing attached to them, make them a foundry based patrol. Preferably with a decent reward.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • theoblackwolf#1206 theoblackwolf Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    The Foundry system gave this MMO a unique feature, a feature that made it differentiate this MMO from others and to be honest it covered the lack of content in some areas of the game especially after the exploration missions removal. Now you are just another MMO full of generic missions and no uniqueness at all removing content of fans that had the amazing opportunity to create they're own missions from exploration ,to diplomacy, to tactical scenarios , to custom fleet events (and yes grinding wich is the only negative thing that was part of the foundry and I wont miss) that had a lifespan as old as this game. So your 9 year effort matters to this game but not the 9 year efforts of fans just wanting to create something unique that might have taken them months to create even years (If you take the foundry series of episodes into account) simply to please the community or themselves like you? Well great thank you for making the greatest mistake a developer can make to this game simply because you lost the right people to handle it and ruining this game for me and also ruining years of work made by this community... You could at least if it is possible I'm not sure to redevelop the foundry and make it viable to your systems instead of just removing it this just show lazyness on your part.
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,301 Arc User
    casualsto wrote: »
    Okay, remove it. Give us something in return.

Maybe everyone gets something to make up for the loss (symbolically)?

I'd say maybe give us the choice of getting a globally-unlocked ship trait of our choice? That would be really nice and consistent, since it would benefit both newbies as well as vets who have plenty of ships.

This would be a lucrative reward, unless it's too much spaghetti code.

They're already giving out rewards.

The Genesis device is nice. Too bad i won't get my hands on it. (cough)future phoenix box(cough)

This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,659 Arc User
    So, what is going to be done to make up for the loss, and keeping a chunk of players from quitting totally? o.o

The folks in charge have GOT to realize this is going to be like slicing someone's face open and rubbing salt in.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,241 Community Moderator
    ...except for a forum moderator who clearly believes this developer can do no wrong.

Ha! Funny. You don't know me, bub. Don't presume to know what I believe based solely on what I post here for the general public. If I have grievances and/or criticisms for the devs, I air those in private. Just because I understand why they made this decision, doesn't mean that I'm happy about it. But also, just because I'm not happy about it, doesn't mean I'm going to neglect my job and let people burn the forum down and spread wild rumors and blatantly false accusations either.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • marty123#3757 marty123 Member Posts: 670 Arc User
    > @baddmoonrizin said:
    > fadamsxiicryptic wrote: »
    >
    > ...except for a forum moderator who clearly believes this developer can do no wrong.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Ha! Funny. You don't know me, bub. Don't presume to know what I believe based solely on what I post here for the general public. If I have grievances and/or criticisms for the devs, I air those in private. Just because I understand why they made this decision, doesn't mean that I'm happy about it. But also, just because I'm not happy about it, doesn't mean I'm going to neglect my job and let people burn the forum down and spread wild rumors and blatantly false accusations either.

It dose seem like you’re that upset about it when you’re attacking people for having an opinion.
  • nrobbiecnrobbiec Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    It's fine being upset by the decision but be realistic the 10 of you threatening to never play the game again are not going to have the desired impact. It's a case of the loud minority. It really isn't worth you getting worked up so much.

Honestly if you were only ever playing this game for user generated content (that breaks a lot) are you really who developers are going to listen to?

Theres a line between passion and lunacy and calls for a boycott cross it. And calls for them to release a whole new game for it alone are also just dumb. Realism is important.

Let's celebrate the foundry for the good times we had in it and just see what comes next.
  • shevetshevet Member Posts: 1,667 Arc User
    Worst news I've heard in the game, full stop. The Foundry was a very good thing - an outlet for player creativity, and a chance to see some different (and, yes, more "Trek-like") content in the game. Yes, I'm sure it's a pain to maintain it, but even so....
    8b6YIel.png?1
  • eazzieeazzie Member Posts: 3,980 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    Ha! Funny. You don't know me, bub. Don't presume to know what I believe based solely on what I post here for the general public. If I have grievances and/or criticisms for the devs, I air those in private. Just because I understand why they made this decision, doesn't mean that I'm happy about it. But also, just because I'm not happy about it, doesn't mean I'm going to neglect my job and let people burn the forum down and spread wild rumors and blatantly false accusations either.[/quote]

Well said BMR
  • foxman00foxman00 Member Posts: 1,478 Arc User
    > @baddmoonrizin said:
    >
    > ...except for a forum moderator who clearly believes this developer can do no wrong.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Ha! Funny. You don't know me, bub. Don't presume to know what I believe based solely on what I post here for the general public. If I have grievances and/or criticisms for the devs, I air those in private. Just because I understand why they made this decision, doesn't mean that I'm happy about it. But also, just because I'm not happy about it, doesn't mean I'm going to neglect my job and let people burn the forum down and spread wild rumors and blatantly false accusations either.

It dose seem like you’re that upset about it when you’re attacking people for having an opinion.

He is not attacking people for having an opinion. He has outright said you can be p**** off, angry etc regarding this decisions as long as you are respectful. However, that does not excuse going against forum rules, or wild rumours, spectulation or tin foil hat conspiracy theories.
    pjxgwS8.jpg
  • theboxisredtheboxisred Member Posts: 450 Arc User
    The word conspiracy and the idea that something is not real do not equate and are not synonymous. As such a "Conspiracy Theory" is not an automatic indicator of diminished capacity.

Speculation based upon incomplete facts and using an entities, in this case a game developers, behavioral history to fill gaps in said facts (until more facts become available) is neither unusual nor entirely irrational as the application of the word "nuts" to the word "conspiracy" is meant to imply.

• theboxisredtheboxisred Member Posts: 450 Arc User
    foxman00 wrote: »
    > @baddmoonrizin said:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

He is not attacking people for having an opinion. He has outright said you can be p**** off, angry etc regarding this decisions as long as you are respectful. However, that does not excuse going against forum rules, or wild rumours, spectulation or tin foil hat conspiracy theories.

The suggestion that opinions are fine so long as conditions A, Blue, Rutabega/21/TRX, FishFart, Echo, Echo, Echo, Saturn Lipstick Calico are met is a bit of a weird position to take.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    The real reason the Foundry is being shut down? CBS. They said no end game Constitutions and people were creating Missions with end game Constitutions. Also, there were not enough Discovery Missions to suit them. ;)

Yep, that's the real reasons, yep. ;) ;)
    Post edited by wingedhussar#7584 on
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • foxman00foxman00 Member Posts: 1,478 Arc User
    ltminns wrote: »
    The real reason the Foundry is being shut down? CBS. They said no end game Constitutions and people were creating Missions with end game Constitutions. Also, there were not enough Discovery Missions to suit them. ;)

Yep, that's the real reasons, yep. ;);)

Thank you Ltminns, i needed that laugh after a day like today.

Thank you.
    pjxgwS8.jpg
  • darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,698 Community Moderator
    The suggestion that opinions are fine so long as conditions A, Blue, Rutabega/21/TRX, FishFart, Echo, Echo, Echo, Saturn Lipstick Calico are met is a bit of a weird position to take.

People are allowed to have opinions. People are also free to voice their opinions in the positive or the negative. I myself have said I am not a fan of this decision but I understand they had to make a business decision. Thus I voiced my opinion. You are also free to voice your disagreement with the opinions of others.

With that said, there are still rules for conduct on this forum that will be adhered to if people wish to post on this forum and keep posting on this forum. If all someone is going to do is attack Cryptic while hurling insults, that is a violation of the forum rules and will not be tolerated.

At the end of the day Cryptic is a business and they made a business decision. The reasons for that decision, being time and resources, as stated by our own Ambassador Kael and others, are the reasons for this decision. There is no evil mastermind plan to destroy the game. It just came to a point it was no longer feasible to keep the foundry running.

It sucks that this happened, and people are free to voice their opinion that it sucks. Open and civil discussion is what encourages change and how things get done. Continuing to assert that there is some evil masterminded plan and/or asserting conjecture as fact are not helpful in this situation.
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
This discussion has been closed.