test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Foundry Sunset, April 11th, 2019

Comments

• gingi101gingi101 Member Posts: 49 Arc User
    This is so disappointing. One of the few things that kept me going in the long wait for new episodes was the foundry and without it, I fear my love for the game will fade quicker than it already is. Usually I play for a few months, then stop, and begin a few months later, but without this I feel those gaps are going to be a lot longer.
  • garaks31garaks31 Member Posts: 2,845 Arc User
    this is like Skynet being activated, i would rather see personal endeavors go. not the foundry
  • rhazedurilerhazedurile Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    Extremely disappointed by this move. The Foundry was the thing that kept me coming back to this game. The ability to create my own environments and stories was a big talking point for me when explaining why I liked this game. I cannot truly express how deep my disappointment runs with this decision.
    dZWjlSs.jpg
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    Well that sucks.

I remember back when it was introduced, I had some ideas for making my own missions. I actually did some on Tribble, but I never followed up on it on Holodeck. I always wanted to, but never got around to it. And then never really played any missions.
    And I kinda had the dawning suspicion that whatever was keeping me from making or playing Foundry missions, it is not going away, so it will never happen.

I guess that kinda mimics Crypic's developer view - they always wanted to do great things with Tribble, but they never got around to actually do them, and now they have to accept the fact that all the reasons that stopped them from doing it will never go away, and they will consequently never really make something more out of it.

It's a real shame. So much unrealized potential.

@ambassadorkael#6946, does Cryptic have any plans to preserve the Spotlight missions or anything? Or is that just (practically) impossible with the way the Foundry was implemented?
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    What an astonishingly stupid decision. The Foundry was a selling point that set the game apart. It was also the only bit of the unknown in a MMO supposedly based upon the Star Trek franchise. You know, 'to boldly go'?

So what's left? Endless repetitions of TFOs and a single episode every few months? Wow! How unique and original. Really making the most of that IP there.

Instead of paying somebody to come up with stupid ideas, like single character locked material you can sell over the odds, pay somebody to actually develop a major part of your game.

I didn't care about Season 13 or Delta Rising because rebalancing is inevitable and the power creep will always take you back to where you started if you wait long enough, but this is brainless. There's more to developing games than just keeping things ticking over until your next Promo Box event.

Speaking of, that should be dropping soon, are you hoping the DSC Conni will distract people somewhat?​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • eazzieeazzie Member Posts: 3,980 Arc User
    Sad news yes. But I am sure the decision was not taken lightly and been made for a greater good whatever that may be. But with that said. In the Terms of Service that we have all electronically agreed to it does state ..... 25.3 We have the right at any time with or without reason to change and/or eliminate any aspect(s) of the Service as we see fit in our sole discretion.

Over the years Some great content has been removed. But we've moved on and got over it.
  • jennycolvinjennycolvin Member Posts: 1,100 Arc User
    1) not implementing something that every other MMORPG have: a simple "I shoot him first - the kill is mine", which is essential when you're trying to get kill in any kind of public zone without a group (i.e. Undine Battlezone, Nukara, etc. etc.)
    The only MMOs that have that system are old, and hated for it.

Pretty much every modern MMORPG has a "you do damage, you get credit" system like STO does.

"Hated for it". Sure thing mate, whatever you say.
    Conspiracy theories are not helpful.

I'm sorry if this sound rude, but what do you want us to do? The post about it is in no way the whole truth, nor is it believable as it is. They must have a reason, so why not come out and say it immediately? Not that they are ever gonna answer to this thread - 'cause it's apparently not nice to criticize someone's work, and I'm talking about those that do so in a respectful manners, not the trolls - but I can bet they are watching and they will say whatever it is that, based on this thread, they will judge to be the most "acceptable" answer so as to minimize backslash from this decision.
    You can't really fault us for going with "conspiracy theories" when they are not being honest with us to begin with.
    kv1Ohsx.png
    Not agreeing with someone doesn't give you the right to be an TRIBBLE.

Ci sono tre tipi di giocatori:
    - quelli a cui non va mai bene niente... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che sono talmente imbesuiti da credere a qualunque cosa i dev dicano, perfino che la luna è fatta di formaggio... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che credono a quello a cui è giusto credere, sono d'accordo con quello con cui è giusto essere d'accordo e sono critici con quello che non va;

Ai giocatori dei primi due tipi, gratis in omaggio un bello specchio lucente su cui arrampicarsi. E una mazzata in testa per la loro poca intelligenza e compassione verso gli altri giocatori che non la pensano come loro.
    Agli appartenenti al terzo tipo, invece, dico grazie. Anche se non sempre si riesce a mantenere la calma, siete quelli per cui vale la pena incazzarsi.
  • psiameesepsiameese Member Posts: 1,644 Arc User
    /salutes the Foundry Authoring Community

Since Season 3 of STO, your community of creators has been a cornerstone of growth for this game. I've admired all of you for enduring the many ups, downs, and ups again of The Foundry each time the game updates broke it. Re-authoring from scratch at times. That's dedication that makes the STO community a positive gaming environment.

For all the digital bits that are our games, I hope you guys at least get a real t-shirt to commemorate your experiences.

To Cryptic, I'm rather disappointed to read this decision having been made. Star Trek Online will not be better for the loss. As this was our player alternative when you removed the Genesis System. Without indication of any alternative from the company. Whenever any of us pleaded for exploration content, our player critics were always quick to pounce by pointing to The Foundry. Telling us to do it ourselves as the Dev Team has better things to do.

Now those passionate creators won't even be able to do that much for the rest of us to enjoy.

/mumbles incoherently.

(/\) Exploring Star Trek Online Since July 2008 (/\)
  • pwecangetlostpwecangetlost Member Posts: 538 Arc User
    This is so disappointing and seems to be reflecting a massive downward spiral for the game. What the heck is going on over at Cryptic?

People saying only 40 % or so people use it. That seems like a significant portion of the userbase. I imagine cryptic would be pretty unimpressed if 40 % of players just gave up on the game like they're giving up on the foundry. There were some exceptional missions and its a massive disappointment seeing these go from the game.
  • jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,789 Arc User
    This was something I honestly expected to happen years ago. It happening now though makes me wonder... What took them so long?! :P
  • centurian821centurian821 Member Posts: 274 Arc User
    However, the legacy knowledge required to maintain the Foundry at our quality standards is no longer available.

It is my understanding that this means not that they want to close it down, but that they no longer have the personnel, code, facilities, etc. to maintain it.

I will certainly miss the Foundry as will many, but I would like to echo an earlier question. The ability to make missions will be gone on April 11th, but can we please still play those that have already been made?
  • mattdoodymattdoody Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    What a kick in the teeth to everyone who has played or written a foundry mission.
    Its no secret that the foundry has gone unloved for many years now. Is this because you dont think the foundry is a money maker? There are people in our fleets and friends throughout the game who see the foundry and the ultimate end game. To be able to write and create your very own Star Trek themes missions. Be the hero of your very own Star Trek episode. Wow what a fantastic hook to get people involved in a game.

Ive logged hundreds of gaming hours just playing the foundry alone. ive even tried my hand at trying to create my own missions. the respect i have for anyone who will take time out of their day and create their own missions for not only their own enjoyment, but for the enjoyment of everyone else in the game is something to be admired.

I really do hope that you see that bringing down the foundry will do nothing but hurt the playerbase.
    im saddened to say that im not even sure i will want to play STO anymore. it really hurts me to say that. i love this game. i love that i get to be the captain of my own story, and i love that ive been able to share in others creativity. Those foundry authors who have kept me playing this long and who without their contribution would have most likely given up 2 years ago.

Keeping the foundry is not only the right choice for the playerbase but also the smart choice for your own bottom line.
  • saber1973asaber1973a Member Posts: 1,224 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    So, now the Devs will not have competition… :p
    … and I personally think, that at least some of the Foundry missions were much better than the last 2 episode arcs - meaning both: "Age of Discovery" and "Mirror of Discovery"
    Edit:
    Don't even get me started on the "great" idea of pushing some queues/TFOs as a filler between episodes...
  • natthaannatthaan Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    I am just as sadden to see the foundry go, since the very first day I started playing STO when the game went F2P, I always greatly enjoyed the chance to see what other players have created. But rather then being mad it's ending, I say we should all raise a glass and be glad we got the chance to use it and celebrate the good times.
  • glassguitarglassguitar Member Posts: 426 Arc User
    Worst ... decision … ever.
  • fun4ever#6757 fun4ever Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    Dont care, im playing STO not coz foundry ...

And now ... vast majority of foundry players using it to cheating/exploiting "Personal Endeavor" ...
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    And now ... vast majority of foundry players using it to cheating/exploiting "Personal Endeavor" ...

{Citation needed]​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,698 Community Moderator
    I'm sorry if this sound rude, but what do you want us to do? The post about it is in no way the whole truth, nor is it believable as it is. They must have a reason, so why not come out and say it immediately? Not that they are ever gonna answer to this thread - 'cause it's apparently not nice to criticize someone's work, and I'm talking about those that do so in a respectful manners, not the trolls - but I can bet they are watching and they will say whatever it is that, based on this thread, they will judge to be the most "acceptable" answer so as to minimize backslash from this decision.
    You can't really fault us for going with "conspiracy theories" when they are not being honest with us to begin with.

Conspiracy theories in this instance are just that, theories not based in reality. What evidence do you believe you have that you're not being told the whole truth? I appreciate a good conspiracy theory as much as the next guy, especially alien conspiracy cause reasons, but spreading rumors based on what you yourself admit is incomplete information does not help. Folks are free to voice their disapproval of the situation provided it's kept civil.
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
  • gulremalgulremal Member Posts: 153 Arc User
    edited March 2019
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,245 Community Moderator
    Conspiracy theories are not helpful.

Well, I'm sorry if this sounds rude, but maybe you could try just taking them at their word rather than spout nonsense. They have admitted to no longer having the developers that had the knowledge about the system to maintain it. They have admitted to not having the resources and time to maintain it and continue to develop other areas of the game.

Those ARE the reasons that the Foundry is coming down and they have said as much.

That you chose not to believe them is on you. And quite frankly, even if they did have more to say on the subject, you've presented yourself as someone who wouldn't necessarily believe that either. After all, they're the developers and what they say can't be trusted, right? There's always going to be some other secret reasons, some conspiracy to you lot as to why. So, yes, I can "fault" you for going with your conspiracy theories when you're not going to believe what you're told anyway.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    Good god.

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    Wow, the foundry goes the way of the exploration clusters. This is sad.

I wasn't a big promoter of it, I didn't even think it was a important part of STO in a recent poll. Still I wouldn't have expected it to just be axed like they did with the clusters. Never developed, never maintained and then removed due to quality issues.

No Sir, I don't like it.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • chanfron66chanfron66 Member Posts: 117 Arc User
    People saying only 40 % or so people use it
    LESS THAN
    E
    S
    S
    T
    H
    A
    N

And that's only on PC, 0% of the console players use it since it isn't on consoles.

39.9999999999% is less than 40% :wink:
    • Soft Tribble Warm Tribble, Little ball of fur, Happy Tribble, Sleepy Tribble, Purr Purr Purr
    • Hard Gorny, Cold Gorny, Big Ball of Scales, Angry Gorny, Fighty Gorny, Hiss, Hiss Hisssss
    • History will never forget the name "InvalidEntityName"
  • spoon2012spoon2012 Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    Ok removing the foundry is going to cause a hold load of grief to an already broken system,

The foundry has a lot of talented players that create content and give players option and also give them a break from the missions

The foundry also houses a lot of accolades and personal endeavours that making them a lot easier to complete

Closing the foundry will force players into an already broken STF's opps sorry TFO's system, Normal queues dont pop every often forcing player to go into advanced runs where they are not experienced enough nore geared up right for those queues and its making a total mess of the system. I personally run into a level 20 player in a Defence of Star base One Advanced and they were getting there backside handed to them, thus expecting everyone else to carry the weight, This was introduced to help revitalise queues but its back fired and made them even worse. The higher level player base is being forced to take the weight of lower level players.

Taking the foundry away is a bad idea, How about sort the TFO queues out in the same way WOW did to stabilise them before taking material away
  • edxelledxell Member Posts: 47 Arc User
    The foundry is where fun and interesting missions are made. Without it we'll just have whatever missions cryptic releases (which seem to be getting rarer) and the usual reputation grind. Removing the foundry will definitely cause me to think twice about spending money on Star Trek Online.
This discussion has been closed.