test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Old SHIPS VS MODERN SHIPS

I fly a fancy STO era ship which I have invested quite a bit of time and effort into only to see Enterprise, TOS, and Discovery ships able to stand toe to toe with my "modern" ship. It doesn't make sense to me that a Crossfield ship could match a Galaxy Class ship in weapons, shields, hull, etc. To me, it just detracts from the fun of this game and isn't realistic.

Now that scaling ships will be the in thing, why not just abandon the tiered ship System since it doesn't mean anything anymore? Hell make shuttles T6 level so they can play with the big ships
"Live Long and Prosper but always carry a fully charged phaser, just in case!". Arrr'ow

Co-Leader of Serenity's Grasp

Comments

• davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,511 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    Small craft don't have quite enough room in them for 11 consoles and 8 beam arrays.

T6 "old" ships are there so people can stay in character and still complete endgame content. The meaning of T6 hasn't changed, and we were flying "non-standard" endgame ships before T6 even existed.

If you're wondering how he eats and breathes
    And other science facts,
    Just repeat to yourself "It's just a game,
    I should really just relax..."
  • startrekronstartrekron Member Posts: 231 Arc User
    Small craft don't have quite enough room in them for 11 consoles and 8 beam arrays.

I know I was being sarcastic.
    "Live Long and Prosper but always carry a fully charged phaser, just in case!". Arrr'ow

• startrekronstartrekron Member Posts: 231 Arc User

T6 "old" ships are there so people can stay in character and still complete endgame content. The meaning of T6 hasn't changed, and we were flying "non-standard" endgame ships before T6 even existed.

Sure the meaning has changed, if all ships are eventually going to be T6 anyways
    why bother even having tiers?

• salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    To me, it just detracts from the fun of this game and isn't realistic.

Hahahahahaha! Add it to the list of things in STO that aren't "realistic."

Ok, leaving your hilariously ridiculous quote aside, the reason for this is OBVIOUS. REASONS are made up for different era ships to be more or less equal at T6 (on paper) to MAXIMIZE PROFIT. It's done to give those fans of the shows (all potential paying customers) a reason to play the game. If those potential paying customers think that their favorite ship won't be available at max level, then they may not even play.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    To me, it just detracts from the fun of this game

Well, that's your problem.. not ours.

Fly what you like and stop worrying so much about what other people are doing.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • jrdobbsjr#3264 jrdobbsjr Member Posts: 431 Arc User
    > @startrekron said:
    > I fly a fancy STO era ship which I have invested quite a bit of time and effort into only to see Enterprise, TOS, and Discovery ships able to stand toe to toe with my "modern" ship. It doesn't make sense to me that a Crossfield ship could match a Galaxy Class ship in weapons, shields, hull, etc. To me, it just detracts from the fun of this game and isn't realistic.

It’s simple, really.....”Modern” Federation ships are built by Ferengi, naturally as cheaply as possible to maximize their profit, which makes them easy meat for someone flying “old” ships built to standards....while it’s admittedly humiliating to get owned by a 150 year old relic from the ST;D era....think how much the Federation saved by sending you out to die in shoddily built Ferengi trash that they themselves wouldn’t be caught dead in. I just hope for your sake you’ve never eaten “food” out of the replicators......that would be bad. ;).
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
    Canon wise... you'd be right. A Crossfield or an NX wouldn't be able to stand against even a Galaxy, let alone an Andromeda.

But as others have said, many of the "older" ships are replicas using modern technology.

Honestly I don't see how an NX Refit is any more "detracting" than a Fed flying a Vaadwaur ship or a Klingon flying a Son'a ship.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    The in-game-universe rationale is that they are retrofits and replicas where all the tech is replaced with contemporary tech.

The rationel outside of the game is:
    For many people, it detracts from their fun if their favorite ship can't be used as viable endgame ship.
    People are wiling to pay for that privilege. How much would you pay so that no one can play an endgame NX or Crossfield Class?
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
    I fly a fancy STO era ship which I have invested quite a bit of time and effort into only to see Enterprise, TOS, and Discovery ships able to stand toe to toe with my "modern" ship. It doesn't make sense to me that a Crossfield ship could match a Galaxy Class ship in weapons, shields, hull, etc. To me, it just detracts from the fun of this game and isn't realistic.

Now that scaling ships will be the in thing, why not just abandon the tiered ship System since it doesn't mean anything anymore? Hell make shuttles T6 level so they can play with the big ships

I've suggested the T6 Small craft before, and even did stat blocks for them
    https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline/#/discussion/1241963/t6-fighters-the-pipe-dream

Could they compete with the bigger ships, no. The main reason these don't get a lot of attention, is the content tends to be annoying for them. In the TFO's it turns in to 5 small craft, that are not designed to handle lots of enemies, versus swarms of enemies. Instead of smaller enemy groups with a more dog fighting approach.

As far as how the ships are setup. As others have said, some do so just for the appearance of said ship. Some do so, so that they can have a TOS/TNG/ENT/TRIBBLE era character with a ship from that era.

No need to add DS9 or Voy to that. They're the same era as TNG.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,360 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    I find it easier to believe that Feddies are flying retrofitted craft from long ago, or even new ships built to look like the old ones (kind of like the new Camaros or Mustangs, only more so), than that they're able to live in, much less operate, craft built by aliens like Tholians or Breen who don't even live in the same sort of environment as most of the Federation's species (the environmental systems aboard a Tholian Recluse should instantly kill any Human, Vulcan, or Andorian who ever dares to open their pressure suit), and who (at least in the case of Tholians) have a dramatically different body plan with different sorts of manipulatory appendages (our soft fingers shouldn't even be able to work Tholian control surfaces!).
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    There is absolutely no reason why an old ship can't hang with a new ship if it's retrofitted.

My old boss had a Chevy Nova.. it was a 1960 something and it had Fuel Injection, Anti Lock Brakes, AC, a stereo that could play MP3's from a USB drive.. Needless to say, the car didn't come with that stuff in the 60's.

Oh, and it was also fast enough to eat most new cars for lunch.

Yeah, he paid about as much as he would have spent buying a new car from a lot, but that wasn't really the point.

Retrofitting old craft to make them function as new is not a new concept and it's perfectly feasible.
    Insert witty signature line here.
    There is absolutely no reason why an old ship can't hang with a new ship if it's retrofitted.

My old boss had a Chevy Nova.. it was a 1960 something and it had Fuel Injection, Anti Lock Brakes, AC, a stereo that could play MP3's from a USB drive..

Oh, and it could also blow most new cars off the road.

Yeah, he paid about as much as he would have spent buying a new car from a lot, but that wasn't really the point.

Retrofitting old craft to make them function as new is not a new concept and it's perfectly feasible.

There is this. As a standard starships are designed with a 100 year life-span. With retrofits that can be extended by far more.

So with that in mind, given Disco happens 10 years before TOS, so the 2250's, they're first refit would have been around 2350.

Ent era ships would have seen their first refit around the start of Discovery.

This is disbarring having to be rebuilt due to damage, or in case of the Enterprise, being destroyed and a new ships in the series coming out.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    The Crossfield Class is more than a modern ship, it is a futuristic ship. You can even find an example of it in the 33rd Century. ;)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • nepsthennepsthen Member Posts: 208 Arc User
    > @startrekron said:
    > I fly a fancy STO era ship which I have invested quite a bit of time and effort into only to see Enterprise, TOS, and Discovery ships able to stand toe to toe with my "modern" ship. It doesn't make sense to me that a Crossfield ship could match a Galaxy Class ship in weapons, shields, hull, etc. To me, it just detracts from the fun of this game and isn't realistic.

It’s simple, really.....”Modern” Federation ships are built by Ferengi, naturally as cheaply as possible to maximize their profit, which makes them easy meat for someone flying “old” ships built to standards....while it’s admittedly humiliating to get owned by a 150 year old relic from the ST;D era....think how much the Federation saved by sending you out to die in shoddily built Ferengi trash that they themselves wouldn’t be caught dead in. I just hope for your sake you’ve never eaten “food” out of the replicators......that would be bad. ;).

The new ships are built with material better than the explodium alloy the Klingon ships were using back when crew numbers were a factor in the game.
    DxDiag64 dump 19Feb2016: http://pastebin.com/1c0pkEuw
    nepsthen wrote: »
    The new ships are built with material better than the explodium alloy the Klingon ships were using back when crew numbers were a factor in the game.

Klingon ships? I thought that was the Miranda class that was built out of the stuff.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    rattler2 wrote: »
    nepsthen wrote: »

Klingon ships? I thought that was the Miranda class that was built out of the stuff.

Half the time I felt like I was flying a Eludium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuUJfYcn3V4
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,576 Arc User

By that reasoning, the 31st Century ships should absolutely destroy everything else in the game, including Elite TFO enemies. Because, after all, they're made with tech that's hundreds of years better, right?

In the end, gameplay trumps "realism". All the T6 ships need to be roughly similar in level of performance, for "game balance". (also, because why would someone spend 3k Zen - or farm ultra-rare promos - on a TOS-era ship that's going to be worthless in actual play?)
  • snowwolf#0563 snowwolf Member Posts: 1,018 Arc User
    It's a bit unrealistic, but sometimes a class can change a lot over a short number of years even though it looks identical to the naked eye.

If you compare early versions of the Galaxy Class such as the Enterprise D and the Odyssey, they are very "weak" compared to the later revised versions of the Galaxy Class space frame used in the Dominion War.

But yeah, the Crossfield and Constitution Class is a bit weird. Starfleet has shown a skill through the TV series of using outdated ships for a large number of years, just see how many Excelsior Class and Miranda Class ships are still in service during the TNG/DS9 era. Though the Constitution was cut out of service because of it's weak neck and nacelle pylons.

But yeah, it's a game so things are a bit silly. Star Trek Online is very arcade focused unlike other Star Trek space combat games, when it comes to my personal Galaxy Class I pretend it's a ship built brand new in 2409.. But it's exterior and interior design is made to match the older versions of the ship, such as the Enterprise-D. While it's packed full with new technology, making it far superior while identical to the naked eye.
  • scififan78scififan78 Member Posts: 1,383 Arc User
    Don't forget the Mirandas, Excelsiors, Centaurs, and D7/K'tingas that were used in the Dominion War.
    I think the only species out of the big three that aren't fielding older designs are the Romulans. We don't see T'liss warbirds from the TOS era running around in TNG. Hell... feels like until Nemesis the only ships the Romulans field in combat at all are D'Deridex Warbirds.
  • tyler002tyler002 Member Posts: 1,586 Arc User
    Though the Constitution was cut out of service because of it's weak neck and nacelle pylons.

Where was that established?
    tumblr_p7auh1JPC61qfr6udo4_500.gif
    Well... you do have to admit that for all its advancements, the basic overall design of the Connie does have some glaring vulnerabilities. Even the Kelvin Timeline Connie had them, and we actually saw that exploited in Beyond.
    If we look at designs that came after the Connie, we see lower profile pylons and thicker necks in general if a ship actually has a neck.
  • tyler002tyler002 Member Posts: 1,586 Arc User
    But equally thin and fragile-looking nacelle pylons were still used for several designs, like the very common Miranda and Excelsior Class. Which is the main reason I question where that claim came from; a very large of the Federation fleet as late as the Dominion war still has pylons like that... that and I don't remember canon ever explaining the lack of Constitutions.

Besides which, Constitutions were still in use as late as the Battle of Wolf 359.
    tumblr_p7auh1JPC61qfr6udo4_500.gif
    The Miranda's nacelle pylons are actually a lot SHORTER than the Connie. And the Excelsior's pylons are not as promenant as a Connie's, and have a smaller target profile from multiple angles when compared to the Connie.

Out of universe, there were several instances where the showrunners wanted a Constitution class, such as that episode of TNG where we got the Soyuz caught in a time loop, but they didn't want to damage the Connie Refit model or didn't have access to it. So the Reliant model got a LOT of use.
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    The absence of Constitution classes is purely out-of-universe, just like the absence of Ambassador class ships (the model was dropped during transport, broke and couldn't be fixed). The neck/pylon thing is nonsense because Trek ships in-universe use force fields and other technogizmos to stay in one piece.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
    ruinthefun wrote: »
    azrael605 wrote: »
    Geordi told Scotty that if the ship he had been travelling on had not crashed it would have still been in service.
    That's because Scotty's ship was not a front-line ship to begin with. This is fairly normal. If you've ever played various 4X games where YOU find yourself making these calls, it's common for a front-line warship to be sent to the breakers the moment sufficient new tech appears to make a better one, while a transport hauler could remain in active production using creaky old tech dating back to the beginning of the tech tree simply because it's cheaper that way.

No ships aren't sent to the breakers when new tech comes out. In game, sure you can replace a ship with the click of a button. However in-universe, they are built to last a minimum of 100 years. Some, like the Enterprise-C receive a decommission. The majority however would see refits, thus extending their life span.

In-game it's click, new ship. In-universe it takes 2+ years to build a ship. The Enterprise-E for example was in-service from 2372 until it left service in 2408, destroyed in this case.

The Enterprise-E launched on Stardate 49827.5, or October 29, 2372 Time 20:45:36

That's 36 years of active service. Had it not been destroyed, it would still be in service.

Which is only 15 years short of the active service of the U.S.S. Enterprise Aircraft-carrier. Which had a 51 year service record.

Laid down: 4 February 1958
    Launched: 24 September 1960
    Christened: 24 September 1960
    Acquired: 29 October 1961
    Commissioned: 25 November 1961
    Decommissioned: 3 February 2017
    In service: 12 January 1962
    Out of service: 1 December 2012

The new U.S.S. Enterprise (CVN-80), the third Gerald R. Ford-class Aircraft Carrier, was scheduled for construction to begin in 2018, and to be delivered by 2025.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
This discussion has been closed.