test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What is the point of transwarp cooldowns now?

mattjohnsonvamattjohnsonva Member Posts: 4,974 Arc User
Now it's free to transwarp to the start of any mission we can instantly transwarp to most parts of the game for no cost as often as we want. All you need is the mission in progress to transwarp to the start point. So with this in mind, what is the point of the cooldown on the built in transwarp? I propose the CD is removed and that way it will free up our mission trackers from lots of open missions.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    I wish they'd go the other way and make transwarp from the mission journal be affected by a universal transwarp cooldown. All this instant and free transwarping makes the game seem so small.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    I wish they'd go the other way and make transwarp from the mission journal be affected by a universal transwarp cooldown. All this instant and free transwarping makes the game seem so small.

One way or the other, but it's the inconsistencies that irritate me. Personally I like the ability to quickly move around, I can still traverse the distance manually if I choose to.

Agreed, those that don't want to use the free transwarp don't have to. There is no point in removing it, but I agree some uniformity would be nice. Slipstream cooldown is a relic of the past, it's a left over restriction from a system that's no longer relevant.

It's removal would be sensible.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    Folk will still use slipstream for tour the galaxy won't they?
  • darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,698 Community Moderator
    No one is forcing you to use transwarp options if you don't want to use them. Simply because someone doesn't like those options does not mean other people should be precluded from using those options. Someone else being able to transwarp has absolutely ZERO effect on your game in the positive or negative.

Personally I would say just scrap the cooldown and be done with it. Folks that want to use it will be able to, and those that don't want to use it won't have to.
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
  • trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    The transwarp cooldown exists because of the transwarp authorizations in the dil store. Items that allow you to get to get around the cooldown on it. Add to this the cooldown is only 6 minutes with the right warp core.

What Id' do here, is leave the cooldown in place. But move the authorizations from the dil store to the GPl store. I don't know of anyone that would spend dil on them currently any how. They'd just have to make the GPL accessible from everywhere like the dil store.

Two birds, one stone. Gives players the ability to get around the cooldown, and provides something useful in the GPL store.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • littlesarbonnlittlesarbonn Member Posts: 486 Arc User
    I think they should remove the cool down but at the same time make it more attractive to travel around the galaxy, such as putting in things on the map that are of interest. Right now, they've kind of done it, but not enough. They added little spots where you can salvage materials, but to be honest, it's generally not enough to cause most people to even want to stop for them. They need to find a way to add more random things in space that are interesting, AND useful. I think it would make for much more interesting content that could cause players to find a decent interest in a very easy to implement part of the game.

I've always felt they should have some mysterious elements in space that open up to something much more long term, but right now space serves more as a hindrance to getting something done than an interesting place to have stuff happen. I would really like to see a series of mysteries that takes time to solve (with differences so that you don't have the ability to just post it online somewhere). Perhaps something that builds over time.

But writing this seems like a waste cause I can't perceive them ever doing anything with such ideas.
    Fleet Admiral Duane Gundrum, U.S.S. Merrimack
    Fleet Admiral Ventaxa Proxmire, U.S.S. Shaka Walls Fell
    Blog: http://www.sarbonn.com/?page_id=1990
    Foundry series: Bob From Accounting & For the Sake of the Empire
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    Eh, it's there. I been using it for years the way it is now. Doesn't bother me.

Added more by dropping costs on mission transwarps. That is cool by me.

I find I use both. Still.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,248 Community Moderator
    Don't we have a transwarp console that reduces the cool down time? Wouldn't that become completely useless if cool downs were eliminated? So, the transwarp console would need a revamp if cool downs go away to make it useful again.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    Don't we have a transwarp console that reduces the cool down time? Wouldn't that become completely useless if cool downs were eliminated? So, the transwarp console would need a revamp if cool downs go away to make it useful again.

I think that is a consumable device. Transwarp Coil. I never buy those. They want too much Dilithium.

There is a DOFF that knocks off the timer on the "regular" Transwarp listing.
    There is also a trait from "Tour the Galaxy"....that is a reward.

I think the problem of "getting rid of" Transwarp is: a lot of them ARE a reward for finishing something else.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    You couldn't move those Transwarp Items from the Dilitium Store to the GPL Store. That would give you something to spend GPL on rather than Party nonsense. Since they royally scr*wed themselves when they first released the Ferengi Admiralty Campaign by giving out GPL like water there are too many people with tons of the stuff laying around with nothing to do with it.

One idea would be to let you coat your ship in GPL so you can pretend that you too received a special ship from PWE. :)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    edited March 2019
    There are many things you can do to reduce Transwarp Cooldown. Omega Impulse Engines, Gamma Warp Core, Transwarp Console, Astrometrics Doff with the Cooldown.

Of course Q is always handy for a free Transwarp when he's around. ;)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    where2r1 wrote: »

I think that is a consumable device. Transwarp Coil. I never buy those. They want too much Dilithium.

I think the problem of "getting rid of" Transwarp is: a lot of them ARE a reward for finishing something else.

No, I meant the console from the Excelsior.
    GrWzQke.png
  • slifox#0768 slifox Member Posts: 379 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    > @baddmoonrizin said:
    > where2r1 wrote: »
    >
    > baddmoonrizin wrote: »
    >
    > Don't we have a transwarp console that reduces the cool down time? Wouldn't that become completely useless if cool downs were eliminated? So, the transwarp console would need a revamp if cool downs go away to make it useful again.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > I think that is a consumable device. Transwarp Coil. I never buy those. They want too much Dilithium.
    >
    > There is a DOFF that knocks off the timer on the "regular" Transwarp listing.
    > There is also a trait from "Tour the Galaxy"....that is a reward.
    >
    > I think the problem of "getting rid of" Transwarp is: a lot of them ARE a reward for finishing something else.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > No, I meant the console from the Excelsior.

It would need a revamp, but those lower tier consoles should get a revamp anyway to make them more attractive for end game.
    edited March 2019
    where2r1 wrote: »

No, I meant the console from the Excelsior.

That console was removed from the game a few years ago. The console ability was added to the ship as a built in ability.
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    All the transwarp-cooldown reductions and destination unlocks are already worthless, because it's better to go trolling through the episode listing for unlimited free transwarps everywhere. Mission TW even has superior function, such as being able to TW from a ground map without first beaming up.
    No, the Tier 5 Excelsior has the built in Transwarp abilities/destinations now. The Transwarp Computer Console from the Tier 3 reduces Transwarp Cooldown by half and is equipable on any Fed or Fed Aligned Ship.
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    ltminns wrote: »
    No, the Tier 5 Excelsior has the built in Transwarp abilities/destinations now. The Transwarp Computer Console from the Tier 3 reduces Transwarp Cooldown by half and is equipable on any Fed or Fed Aligned Ship.

^What he said.
    GrWzQke.png
  • roguealltrekroguealltrek Member Posts: 179 Arc User
    I want the cool down on trans warps. Granted i would be wrong to indicate that i don't use the mission trans warps simply put i use them. But if we were to drop off the cool down it seams to me just one more loss and this game is in need of more not less. We need more options for sector space travel more to do there and a reason not to just pop everywhere. Not just one more thing to call a hold over from the past and even less use for some warp cores that help in space travel. Special Consoles and the like.

I can see the whole warp locations getting a once over to include more options in the warp locations and tie them in with other items such as the nebula chains for doff missions reach the top level and you gain a trans warp to it. Or tie in some accolades to give boosts for having them and even a sector location to warp to such as the older defender of x quadrant accolades revive them or create new ones that will provide warp locations.

But in general we need more in the game not less. We over the 9 years have lost a lot in terms of missions, sector spaces, Exploration and the like. We have a tfo dealing with Leeta but some one point out to me where is the story for it? What happened to all the missions with the build up to that point? In one word gone.

So as if my view counts for anything in this game. I say stop trying to pull parts out and call it a hold over and usless, rather come up with a way to add more to the game.

I guess my view or rant is over take and make of it what you will.
    To be or not to be: B)
    edited March 2019
    Incorrect information edited out.
    Post edited by ltminns on
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • roguealltrekroguealltrek Member Posts: 179 Arc User
    [quote="snip for brevity.[/quote]

If you read the post above about making sector space more of an adventure zone this would satisfy the requirements you have. Having a cooldown on TW does precisely zero for the game, everyone can use a mission to transwarp for free. As soon as they made it free to transwarp to mission start points, the transwarp CDs should have been removed. This isn't even about removing something from the game, if a CD is seen as a negative then removing it would be adding in a positive way to the game. It's purely a QoL issue now.[/quote]

You will half to forgive me if i don't entertain the concept of a quality of life change to be in the best interest.
    Why it would enhance sector space if cryptic did in fact add to it and provide more to do in them. How ever that simply has not been the case overall.

Exploration removed to be revamped and improved soon.... Looks at watch over 5 years and nope still not here.

All the map sectors changing we want to improve on this and make a single map and yes its here... Only now we have broken several accolades and the different things in each sector now is not well implemented in the one map several doff chains are still stuck on the border of the old sectors with no indication of ever getting fixed.

In a stream lining to keep people from being confused over missions we get to have several removed in the same light of to polish them and be back later. Any one have any ideal of a time frame of later? I am going to take a wild guess that it is close to soon.

So forgive me if i don't put much faith in quality of life changes i can see it even now everyone know how you always wanted to pilot your ship from your bridge? Seeing as trans warp is the travel mode lets just remove the map all together and let you sit on a bridge and pick your mission and start it from there and do away with this pesky map transfers and travel.

At this point what possible reason would there be to make more to do in a map no one travels over i think it is clear by now if you cant place a price tag on something the item wont enter the game. As is now with the free warp the main maps are simply a wast of time and space if everyone keeps down the same road. Yes i am full of doom and gloom or just taking this ideal to its logical end point in either case my level of trust is very lacking.

To be or not to be: B)
  • redvengeredvenge Member Posts: 1,425 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    ltminns wrote: »
    The Tier 3 Advanced Cruiser had "unique transwarp locations" that were not tied to the Transwarp Computer console. It was a function of the ship itself. In fact, if you used one of those "unique transwarp locations" in the Tier 3 Excelsior, there was a chance that your transwarp drive would "stall". Lightning effects would ripple over your nacelles and "Good morning, Captain!" would appear in your chat box.

It was cute the first time. Got old fast.

The Tier 5 Advanced Cruiser Retrofit and the Tier 5 Fleet Advanced Cruiser Retrofit have even more "unique transwarp locations" than the Tier 3. They also worked out the kinks so your the ghost of Scotty does not muck up your transwarp. The Advanced Cruiser [T6] (the much maligned Resolute) and it's Fleet counterpart have the same transwarp functions as the Tier 5.

Also, the Transwarp Computer is complete trash. Hard pressed to think of a worse console. It was bad even before the latest skill revamp.
    redvenge wrote: »

Also, the Transwarp Computer is complete trash. Hard pressed to think of a worse console. It was bad even before the latest skill revamp.

Agreed, it's certainly not anything that would have to be too heavily considered if the system was revamped. If anything, making it obsolete would serve to encourage anyone currently using this garbage console to replace it with something useful. :lol:

Grappler?

One of my Characters uses it on a Tuffli that is built for flitting around.

My Discovery Character has it on a T6 Palatine set up with the 2-piece T5 MultiMission Consoles used for Tour.
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • aspartan1aspartan1 Member Posts: 1,054 Arc User

One way or the other, but it's the inconsistencies that irritate me. Personally I like the ability to quickly move around, I can still traverse the distance manually if I choose to.

Agreed, those that don't want to use the free transwarp don't have to. There is no point in removing it, but I agree some uniformity would be nice. Slipstream cooldown is a relic of the past, it's a left over restriction from a system that's no longer relevant.

It's removal would be sensible.

I concur as well. It is a vestige from a long gone era and should be modified for consistency with the current operational paradigm.
    If you are looking for an excellent PvE fleet consider: Omega Combat Division today.
    Former member of the Cryptic Family & Friends Testing Team. Sadly, one day, it simply vanished - without a word or trace...
    Obscurea Chaotica Fleet (KDF), Commander
    ingame: @.Spartan
    Romulan_Republic_logo.png
    Former Alpha & Beta Tester
    Original Cryptic Forum Name: Spartan (member #124)
    The Glorious, Kirk’s Protegè
This discussion has been closed.