test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Updates to Anti-Fraud Measures

ambassadorkael#6946 ambassadorkael Member, Administrator Posts: 2,674 Community Manager
We're making some updates to our anti-fraud measures in the game. Find out more details here:

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11102143

Comments

• jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,354 Arc User
    Clarification requested. Are you saying this binding occurs only to "problem" accounts?

(I certainly hope that's the case, because if you start making all keys account-bound on purchase, you'll be able to hear the howls of outrage from Utopia Planitia!)
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • ambassadorkael#6946 ambassadorkael Member, Administrator Posts: 2,674 Community Manager
    Heads up folks: This is an update to a system most of you have likely never seen. It just means that if your account is flagged for suspicious activity, items you purchase will be account bound for a limited time, instead of how it used to be, forever.
  • So this will not affect normal C-store customers? I could see this ruining ingame economy if it were the opposite. Also, how can an account become flagged and what is considered a suspicious activity? I know people who are capable of buying over 1.000 Zen with Dillithium every day, so would that be suspicious?
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,354 Arc User
    That's good to hear. Now I know, if/when the forum outrage begins, what kind of people we're dealing with. :smile:
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    jonsills wrote: »
    That's good to hear. Now I know, if/when the forum outrage begins, what kind of people we're dealing with. :smile:

I think I ran into this system once a very long time ago when I had to update payment info or something, I don't remember specifically. Was annoying at the time, so I'm glad to see they're changing how it works.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • mwzmwz Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    So it's basically like the cool down timer for purchases from the online store in SW:The Old Republic.
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    mwz wrote: »
    So it's basically like the cool down timer for purchases from the online store in SW:The Old Republic.

Basically, except that it is only triggered when suspicious activity is detected on the account.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • captainkirkup#8299 captainkirkup Member Posts: 1 New User
    "Suspicious activity" apparently includes buying your zen through Steam. I've been flagged for the past week or so for doing such, and everything I've read says you just have to wait it out before actually using your zen, but after the update today I'm still getting the warning when I go to use the zen. Is this limited-binding live right now, or a future implementation?
  • messicrafter#6700 messicrafter Member Posts: 49 Arc User
    This thing is confusing me, I just got my first purchase in zen and It gives me that warning.
    enjin-1234688-19630790-gray.png
    =/\= Member of Star trek Roleplayers and Former Foundry Author in training. =/\=
  • herrgis#1415 herrgis Member Posts: 76 Arc User
    This thing is confusing me, I just got my first purchase in zen and It gives me that warning.

Usually your _first_ purchase of Zen with a credit card will trigger a fraud prevention flag (nothing to worry about). Anything you purchase with that Zen in the first week would (previously to March 1, 2019) be permanently bound to account "Due to recent purchase activity on your account …". So that was annoying if you bought something you hoped to trade later.

This updated policy seems to just put a (7 day) cooldown timer on those (first time) purchases before they can be traded, rather than apply a permanent bound to account. So overall a good policy change for players while balancing a need to deal with fraud prevention and 3rd party gold scammers.

You need to think of Star Trek Online as a marathon, not a sprint. Senlac t'Karveth
    Sometimes the Universe allows for the making of unexpected memories. Philippa Georgiou
    No matter your shame, gather your strength. Find a way to help those in need. Sarek of Vulcan