test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

New Winter Event contest idea.

trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
Thinking of all the contests we have for the summer and inter event. While I'd keep this one for the winter event, one could also use it for the summer event. It would just have to be made in to a holodeck simulation for the Summer event.

But we have the races in both events. Board racing for Summer event, and the two foot races for the winter event. Since we have no use for the Andoria map currently, I though, it would be good to make into a race trek, a ground vehicle race track. I know there would be arguments that there aren't any ground vehicles in Star Trek. However, we can go ahead and end those right now.

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Argo_(buggy)

DQS2kp1.jpg

There would have to be a flag grab or something at the end for it. I mean this would make a great addition to both events. Any thoughts on how this could come about?
Mm5NeXy.gif
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• theboxisredtheboxisred Member Posts: 450 Arc User
    I'm all for this, but only because I want to see what my character's stunt double looks like. :smiley:
  • nixie50nixie50 Member Posts: 1,259 Arc User
    u7acy6aymfw7.gif
    We Need BERETS in the tailor
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited February 2019
    And where exactly will you be able to drive this beast? most maps are far too small to have any use for an argo buggy. If you count Nimbus III and maybe New Romulus if you're lucky? most other places are wracked, packed and stacked full of hostile NPC's, all sorts of obstacles...

..And then there is the exit and and entry to the docking point for the buggy, where exactly would it be possible to put these? Fact is simple: unless Cryptic dramatically changes maps scale so they can be driven to and from location where it would take too long on foot and removing quick travel points, otherwise the Argo is a pointless addition.

Even the hover surfboards using on Risa have become pointless as one can circle the island in about 3 minutes with the best board available which isn't nearly enough. the devs may as well license it as the Surfboard NASCAR championship, add side and normal drafting, allow players to wreck into each other and call it life while they are at it with the current track layout. I've never been a fan of the layout of the summer track anyway.

in any event, there would have been a number of missions where usage of the Argo would be useful but those are going to be one way trips through a one way passage shooting things from the turret, from the front, sides and rear with hostile NPC's on their own vehicles. Frankly its completely absurd as a mission design and idea in the first place if there is no open ended map to work with.

So is there any practical purpose for this or not?

T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    I think the practical purpose trennan is looking for is "having fun".
    Even the hover surfboards using on Risa have become pointless as one can circle the island in about 3 minutes with the best board available which isn't nearly enough

I don't get what you're saying here, sorry?! Not enough for what? Why pointless?
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,238 Community Moderator
    Obviously, an entirely new map would have to be created for any kind of Argo race track, whether used in the summer or winter event.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    xyquarze wrote: »
    I think the practical purpose trennan is looking for is "having fun".
    Even the hover surfboards using on Risa have become pointless as one can circle the island in about 3 minutes with the best board available which isn't nearly enough

I don't get what you're saying here, sorry?! Not enough for what? Why pointless?

wow. thats twice you've jumped on my back and intentionally not paying any attention. i can react the way if you want or you can stop, your choice.
    Obviously, an entirely new map would have to be created for any kind of Argo race track, whether used in the summer or winter event.

The map would have to be at least 6x the size of the current summer map for sure.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    wow. thats twice you've jumped on my back and intentionally not paying any attention. i can react the way if you want or you can stop, your choice.

Sorry if it feels like "jumping your back" again, it is certainly not my intention - and it is certainly no intention to "not pay any attention". But I really don't understand what you are trying to say with the second sentence I quoted.

As for the first part, you make some good points why the Argo would be impractical, and I agree with you there, but you seemed to me to be looking for something more than plain "having fun" (with driving the Argo), and I did not think that trennan wasn't intending more.
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • fun4ever#6757 fun4ever Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    Andoria is perfect place for new/revamped Q's Winter Wonderland ...
  • trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User

While I agree a new map would be the best way to go. We do have a few that would be big enough for a circle track, even some figure eight styles.

Nimbus and Kobali come to mind here. Kobali, especially with the trenches. Andoria would work for one as well. Looking at it this way, so would Defera Invasion.

As far as model of the buggy, they already have one in the foundry. Thought it's about the size of a ship trophy.
    And where exactly will you be able to drive this beast? most maps are far too small to have any use for an argo buggy. If you count Nimbus III and maybe New Romulus if you're lucky? most other places are wracked, packed and stacked full of hostile NPC's, all sorts of obstacles...

..And then there is the exit and and entry to the docking point for the buggy, where exactly would it be possible to put these? Fact is simple: unless Cryptic dramatically changes maps scale so they can be driven to and from location where it would take too long on foot and removing quick travel points, otherwise the Argo is a pointless addition.

Even the hover surfboards using on Risa have become pointless as one can circle the island in about 3 minutes with the best board available which isn't nearly enough. the devs may as well license it as the Surfboard NASCAR championship, add side and normal drafting, allow players to wreck into each other and call it life while they are at it with the current track layout. I've never been a fan of the layout of the summer track anyway.

in any event, there would have been a number of missions where usage of the Argo would be useful but those are going to be one way trips through a one way passage shooting things from the turret, from the front, sides and rear with hostile NPC's on their own vehicles. Frankly its completely absurd as a mission design and idea in the first place if there is no open ended map to work with.

So is there any practical purpose for this or not?

Right now, as other have stated, I'm looking to add a fun event to the events we already have. This could even become like Sompek or the MU event later on. But, I'm also remaining thoughtful of maybe having a ground BZ that incorporates them as well, since they do come with a weapon. This also plays into the Voth having ground mechs and the vaaduar having walker tanks. While are we have for ground is our feet.

As far as the one way that you mention, that would be like other MMO's that incorporate ground vehicles into maps. For STO that would be TFO's, making it a party item in this instance. This could fit in regular TFO's or Competitive TFO's. I mean think on it, if Pahvo was the size all three zones in the Dyson Ground BZ. a ground vehicle would be great.

Both the BZ and TFO means vehicle damage, which would also play into the racing, cause rubbing is racing, unless you're in Indi or Formula One, then it's just extremely dangerous. But for the game, I wouldn't say we could kill someone this way. However, running them off the track, or causing them to ram into something to slow them down, would be staple of it. It would just have to be set up to where, the more damage you vehicle takes, the slower it goes.

However for now, just as a Winter or Summer event, would be the best place to start. A weekend event might be better, occurs more often, thus allowing for more chances to get the vehicle mechanics sorted out.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    How about these race tracks on Andoria...or the old Risa map?

"Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • brian334brian334 Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
    There is already an unused race track in the Delta Quadrant, which I have proposed on multiple occasions to be used as an event location for multiplayer competition.

I think an annual Antarean Trans-Stellar Rally would be a cool, fun, multiplayer event. Currently the Hobo System Patrol is a single player map, and is not persistent. Random folks can't just drop by while you're there. While I would not change the existing Patrol mission or map, I would advocate it as a basis for a Shuttle Race.

This could also incorporate a Buggy Race on a new map built for it, with Sandpeople...err, hostile aliens... yeah, who want to disrupt the event with sniper fire.

• avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    Seems more suited to summer event than winter event, maybe they can create another Risa Isle with mostly long stretches of sand.
    Yeah, who wants to go all the way out to the Delta Quad, though. LOL! I don't hang over there, any more.

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • brian334brian334 Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
    where2r1 wrote: »
    Yeah, who wants to go all the way out to the Delta Quad, though. LOL! I don't hang over there, any more.

It's a Transwarp away during events. And a Transwarp back too.

If it had been made a multiplayer persistent map like Nimbus, players would be there all the time even without other incentive than to race their friends.
    brian334 wrote: »

It's a Transwarp away during events. And a Transwarp back too.

If it had been made a multiplayer persistent map like Nimbus, players would be there all the time even without other incentive than to race their friends.

It's also just a holodeck away from anywhere.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • jamieblanchardjamieblanchard Member Posts: 556 Arc User
    I think that would actually be pretty darn cool. On more than one occasion myself and a friend, while running Dyson, have talked about having like a jeep, or buggy to get around on to cover long distances. Admittedly, I'm not sure how it would be implemented with coding and all.
    Resident TOS, G.I. Joe, Transformers and hair metal fangirl.

And knowing is half the battle!

21 'til I die!
    edited February 2019
    Speculation is nice and easy....in reality: Can they add a transwarp into locations your characters are blocked from?

They had to place a second "Spock" Memorial (for Nimoy) on New Romulus for KDF/aligned.
    Because KDF/aligned could not get to Vulcan. Andoria is in a similar boat. Not sure if that can be changed.

Can low level players get through to Delta Quad without unlocking the dyson spheres? Not sure.
    Is Gamma in the same boat?
    I guess, we will find out when they fix the Mission Journal to allow anyone to play any mission.

That leaves the old Risa map as available for all.

Speculation is nice and easy....in reality: Can they add a transwarp into locations your characters are blocked from?

They had to place a second "Spock" Memorial (for Nimoy) on New Romulus for KDF/aligned.
    Because KDF/aligned could not get to Vulcan. Andoria is in a similar boat. Not sure if that can be changed.

Can low level players get through to Delta Quad without unlocking the dyson spheres? Not sure.
    Is Gamma in the same boat?
    I guess, we will find out when they fix the Mission Journal to allow anyone to play any mission.

That leaves the old Risa map as available for all.

Umm to my understanding the gamma quad is open to all captains above level 10. I know when we had the Romulan Library problem that prevented mission completion. I level a character up from like level 20 to 50 there, so I could get into the Solanae/Delta arcs.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
    edited February 2019
    How about these race tracks on Andoria...or the old Risa map?

I'd have to go look around Andoria more to get a general feel for the map, and to imagine how the track would flow through it.

The old Risa map though, I can see. The center island would make a great figure eight. Plus one could incorporate the two northern islands in it. This could be done as one long track, or three short tracks.

Matter of fact, since I'm waiting on reps to level for one of my characters. I'll hit the foundry up here and do a layout for the old Risa map for the tracks I can see there.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • powskierpowskier Member Posts: 67 Arc User
    I would Prefer a Winter Board Race

we could use the water power boards, already... and they can make some winter designs too

Andoria is a good idea..if they trans-warp us to the start
This discussion has been closed.