test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Battery misplacement

carmen1983090887carmen1983090887 Member Posts: 30 Arc User
I have been running to a issues with my batteries, every time I log in or beam to my ship I always have to replace my batteries, This has gotten very annoying as I don't always notice and when I need to use my batteries they are not there.

Anyone else having this problem?
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,913 Arc User
    Do you save your loadout after putting your batteries back?
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    That has been happening to me. It is not all the time, though...so right now, it is not happening to me. And I have no clue WHY it is not happening. LOL!

So, I can not help you. No, I do not use loadouts at all.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,913 Arc User
    I only use the one loadout and save anytime I change it. Keeps me from losing things.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • bejaymacbejaymac Member Posts: 448 Arc User
    What most don't realise, is that when the loadout system was created every single slot on a ship could only hold one item, not one stack but one item ie one battery in each device slot.
    So Cryptic changed how batteries work, in your inv/bank that stack of 20 is still a stack of 20, but once you slot it onto your ship it changes, it's now a single battery with 20 uses.
    I suspect it was done this way because each item you slot on a ship is given a unique ID, that way the loadout system knows which item belongs in which slot.

The cause of most peoples issue with batteries is "topping up", basically doing that breaks the loadout, as that battery no longer has the same unique ID the loadout is looking for, so when you change space maps the system dumps them into your inventory.

Easiest way to deal with them is to carry a couple of full stacks in your inventory, sit in a social space map, remove the depleted batteries from the device slots and replace them with full stacks, then update your loadout to save the changes. Sometimes even this isn't enough to stop them being dumped back in to the inventory, to avoid this once you have saved the changes, and before you change maps, drag the batteries back into your inventory then click on the loadout to have the system slot them back into place.

Now for those who don't use loadouts, what you might not realise is that every ship has a "basic" loadout, if they didn't every time you changed maps all your gear would be in your inventory, problem with them is the only way to "lock" any changes you make is to change toons or quit the game.
    thanks for explaining @bejaymac

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    Yes, thats true, i do not refresh my stack of batteries until i'm out... Never had the problem again
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • littlesarbonnlittlesarbonn Member Posts: 486 Arc User
    echatty wrote: »
    Do you save your loadout after putting your batteries back?

Strangely enough, this has been happening to me recently WITH loadouts saved. I thought it was just me the other night, but then it happened again. Not sure what's going on with this.
    Fleet Admiral Duane Gundrum, U.S.S. Merrimack
    Fleet Admiral Ventaxa Proxmire, U.S.S. Shaka Walls Fell
    Blog: http://www.sarbonn.com/?page_id=1990
    Foundry series: Bob From Accounting & For the Sake of the Empire
    edited February 2019
    Strangely enough, this has been happening to me recently WITH loadouts saved. I thought it was just me the other night, but then it happened again. Not sure what's going on with this.

Scroll back a bit.... Read the post by bejaymac.... he explains how those stacks of batteries work with the loadout system, now.

• bejaymacbejaymac Member Posts: 448 Arc User
    Little disclaimer here, I don't work for Cryptic and never have, so take what I say about the games code with a large pinch of salt.

As an old school game moder and sometimes beta tester I have a better understanding on how game code works than most, so when loadouts first came out I had to do a fair bit of experimenting, stuff just wasn't staying on my ship when I changed maps.

The info in my previous post is what my coder experience has told must be happening, but I can't guarantee it, it's just that it ties in nicely with everything I was seeing during my experiments.
  • ussvaliant#6064 ussvaliant Member Posts: 1,006 Arc User
    edited February 2019
    I shall try your sound advice Bejaymac as this issue has been annoying me for a very long time. Thank you

Edit I tried what Bejaymac said about removing the whole stack and reequipping when in need of topping up and it works no more batteries removed and placed back into my inventory. Thank you again good sir
    Post edited by ussvaliant#6064 on
    maR4zDV.jpg

Hello rubber banding my old friend, time to bounce around the battlezone again, where are all my bug reports going?, out of love with this game I am falling, As Cryptic fail to acknowledge a problem exists, Shakes an angry fist, And from Support all I'm hearing are the sounds of silence.
  • arionisaarionisa Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    Along with what bejaymac suggested, I never "top off" the batteries in my device slot, mainly cause I suck trying to click-drag. I double click the stack in my device slot to remove them and then select the batteries from the drop down list of items available to equip. When my partial stack is sent back to inventory, it automatically stacks with the ones in my inventory and I am then equipping the new, larger stack from inventory. Takes a total of three quick mouse clicks. Based on bejays hypothesis, it appears that my loadout is seeing that "single battery with X uses" being removed and then a different "single battery with x uses" being equipped.

Exactly why it works, who knows for sure, I just know that I have never had a problem with batteries, or any stackable item, disappearing from my device slots.
    LTS and loving it.
    Ariotex.png
This discussion has been closed.