test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The Klingon War Arc Status

2»

Comments

• captainwellscaptainwells Member Posts: 718 Arc User
    Cryptics various Star Trek Online story content prior to Age of and/or Mirror of Discovery showing up was much better and felt more cohesive overall to me. I look forward to the Disco content finally running its course so that hopefully we can get back to whatever might have unfolded from where where we left off, and no matter what lore is referenced.
  • luminaire#0745 luminaire Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    Cryptics various Star Trek Online story content prior to Age of and/or Mirror of Discovery showing up was much better and felt more cohesive overall to me. I look forward to the Disco content finally running its course so that hopefully we can get back to whatever might have unfolded from where where we left off, and no matter what lore is referenced.

This is presumably because AoD/MoD weren't actually planned at all, CBS just suddenly sent down a demand that they make Discovery the focus of the game. So Victory is Life gets cut short, and Discovery stuff is rushed because they're making it up on the fly.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    It was entirely voluntary.

https://youtu.be/SeldwfOwuL8
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    This is presumably because AoD/MoD weren't actually planned at all, CBS just suddenly sent down a demand that they make Discovery the focus of the game. So Victory is Life gets cut short, and Discovery stuff is rushed because they're making it up on the fly.
    This is utterly and entirely incorrect.

Cryptic has told us what happened several times. CBS called them up, said they could get them a bunch of discovery assets and access to the actors, but it was only possible for a short amount of time, and ASKED Cryptic if they were interested, and Cryptic said yes. Cryptic didn't have to do it, CBS didn't make them do it, CBS largely doesn't care what Cryptic does in STO.

Also, Victory is Life wasn't cut short. The story for AFTER Victory is Life was changed from a Mirror Leeta plot to the Discovery story. Victory is Life would have ended the same way regardless.
    Also, it's implied in the interviews that they have been working with CBS to get as much stuff from Disco as they can.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,248 Arc User
    Also, it's implied in the interviews that they have been working with CBS to get as much stuff from Disco as they can.
    Yeah, according to 400th ep of Priority One, Cryptic has a folder with a bunch of material from all of S2 of Discovery in their office that CBS sent them. Though they supposedly lack much of the content behind what a lot of it is.... except Al, he supposedly has been told what the Red Angles are, among other things.

It seems CBS is quite intrested in a degree of story co-operation with the STO devs (possibly other EU developers as well but I dunno for sure), so it shouldn't be that surpricing that they would tell STO devs at least the general outline of the season 2 story so that there's no major conflicts between the stories.

What people don't seem to get is that Cryptic did want to make Discovery content at some point, so in a sense CBS's offer was one they couldn't refuse but not in the way that video implies (aka "do this unless you want to get hurt") but rather it was something Cryptic might not able to make happen later or it would take much more effort and expenses from their part, so the offer from CBS was an opportunity you wouldn't want to miss even if missing it wouldn't be harmful.
  • captainbmoneycaptainbmoney Member Posts: 1,323 Arc User
    Since we're talking about Klingon Arc. Past Imperfect has been off of the list for a few months now. meaning they are totally getting something done. Past Imperfect is known for where you get the Efficient Impulse Engines at.

Like my fanpage!
    https://www.facebook.com/CaptainBMoney913
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,246 Community Moderator
    I think the Klingon War arc would've been much more interesting as a single story for both FED and KDF, but told from two different perspectives, perhaps coming at the Undine infiltration issue from different directions.

Some examples:

We've played Diplomatic Orders from the FED point of view, but also have a corresponding KDF mission on P'Jem from the Klingon point of view hunting the Undine infiltrator.

Stranded in Space has the FED rescue a freighter from a KDF raid. What if from the KDF point of view, they had tracked the Undine infiltrator to that ship, but Starfleet's interference allowed it to escape during the rescue?
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    spiritborn wrote: »
    Yeah I just repeated what was said in Ten Forward stream, they'd love to have him record the voice for data but nothing is planned at this point.

They didn't say why nothing is planned but "actor doesn't want to do the role anymore" is as good a reason as any.
    When it comes to Trek actors not in the game already
    -Picard = too expensive
    -Kirk = too expensive
    -Janeway = too expensive
    -Sisko = doesn't want to be involved in Trek anymore
    -Chakotay = doesn't want to be involved in Trek anymore
    -Data = doesn't want to be Data anymore
    -Kes = In a mountain of legal trouble
    -Uhura = Unavailable due to illness

So that leaves a few like Sulu, Ezri, O'Brien, B'Elanna, Riker, Beverly, Troi, Wesley, and Q(not counting smaller side characters or w/e). I know that Cryptic has saidthey have no real plans for an Enterprise Era start or w/e any time soon, and have generally said Enterprise is the hardest to write for since its just so far in the past. So it's unlikely we will see any of the ENT cast in-game(besides Daniels OFC)

- What story could Picard play in things to come, more so when STO canon would have to be rewritten completely to comply with the picard series? Never mind the klingon war arc, if Cryptic were considering Picard, they'd would have to completely gut their own game to have him in place.
    - How does an Old Kirk fit into things exactly?
    - I can imagine the ever reckless Janeway as the Commandant of Starfleet, the person in charge of Starfleet and answerable to Annik Okeg or whatever the name is. But what part would she play in things beyond ordering you about and ordering you to fly your ship into asteroid fields at full impulse?
    - Last i heard Avery Brooks has lost his mind, and Sisko being a wormhole alien i can see him replacing that throwaway female bajoran in a vedeks uniform if he ever agreed to return for the 1st dominion arc, even if only for a few sentences of text much like Quinto for the EMH.
    - Robert Beltrand isn't completely done with trek as he occasionally pops his head in to a convention, but he is done with Chakotay most certainly.
    - Spiner is far too old to play an android that doesn't age and while i've read some comments about it? i'm unmoved by these comments, so Data is off the table. However it doesn't stop him from playing a Soong character, like a relative that worked in the background while the other relative got all the credit for the androids.
    - Jennifer Lien is not just in legal trouble, but her mental health is precarious at best.
    - Nichelle Nichols might be out of the game to play Uhura, that doesn't exclude Zoe Saldana once a merger is completed.
    - John De Lancie won't ever do a role in STO and neither will Keegan. It is specific to STO itself, they aren't interested in the game but at least John is known to stick around when time permits to head out to a convention. So cross him off the list as well.
    - George Takei has more important things to do with what life he has left in equal rights. I'm not going into the politics around it, but that is probably more important to him than lending his voice and rightly so.
    - Wil Wheaton has stated before he has not interest in going back to Wesley, that bridge was burned long ago and the character is unsalvagable. That role is likely to haunt Wil for the rest of his days.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
    I think the Klingon War arc would've been much more interesting as a single story for both FED and KDF, but told from two different perspectives, perhaps coming at the Undine infiltration issue from different directions.

Some examples:

We've played Diplomatic Orders from the FED point of view, but also have a corresponding KDF mission on P'Jem from the Klingon point of view hunting the Undine infiltrator.

Stranded in Space has the FED rescue a freighter from a KDF raid. What if from the KDF point of view, they had tracked the Undine infiltrator to that ship, but Starfleet's interference allowed it to escape during the rescue?
    Well, Cryptic's original Federation War arc was seemingly meant to be this. But, due to time constraints they didn't have time to do that.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    edited February 2019

Some examples:

You are playing from a heroic point of view in a character, regardless of faction. so from the KDF point of view to play as a KDF character acting like a terrorist attacking innocent people on a transport isn't something heroic, it is acting like a bully and bullies don't have any sense of honor. it wouldn't fit into what would be heroic.

It would be more likely that Klingons have already crippled the freighter with Orion help, but these klingons are pirates and brigands. you are sent to destroy them and help the transport on its way, but you don't go out your way to do so. The crippled brigand command ship is boarded and information rifled from the databanks that points to them being raiders from the former house of Torg who were responsible for this act to make it look like official KDF business. That would fit more with the Heroic theme.
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,246 Community Moderator
    Remember, anyone could be an Undine in disguise. The Klingons aren't the Federation. They aren't going to go easy on anyone they suspect of being an Undine.

I was suggesting that the episode/mission could've been done in such a way that the FEDs are rescuing the ship from what appears to be a Klingon raid, but in actuality the KDF is hunting an Undine infiltrator. Yes, from the FED point of view, the Klingons would appear to be terrorizing a cargo freighter. And from the KDF point of view, Starfleet's incompetence and interference allow an enemy combatant to escape. It's a classic case of miscommunication between the Factions since they are in a state of war over the Undine issue anyway.

Said Undine infiltrator could've then, with Starfleet's unknowing help, made its way to Vulcan, where it replaces Ambassador Sokketh. Again, the KDF track the Undine to P'Jem, where they continue the hunt, and Starfleet's interference allows the Undine to escape again. The FED ferrying mission unwittingly brings the Undine to P'Jem, where the FEDs discover the first evidence that the Klingons have been right all along about the Undine infiltration.

The point of it all really being that it's the same story, similar missions, but from different points of view. As it is, you don't see that in the Federation-Klingon War arc.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • ichaerus1ichaerus1 Member Posts: 986 Arc User

Some examples:

You are playing from a heroic point of view in a character, regardless of faction. so from the KDF point of view to play as a KDF character acting like a terrorist attacking innocent people on a transport isn't something heroic, it is acting like a bully and bullies don't have any sense of honor. it wouldn't fit into what would be heroic.

It would be more likely that Klingons have already crippled the freighter with Orion help, but these klingons are pirates and brigands. you are sent to destroy them and help the transport on its way, but you don't go out your way to do so. The crippled brigand command ship is boarded and information rifled from the databanks that points to them being raiders from the former house of Torg who were responsible for this act to make it look like official KDF business. That would fit more with the Heroic theme.

So why has Cryptic not phased out the Marauding doff missions? Or the more shadowy espionage missions? You know, the ones where we can send out orders to bomb manufactories, pillage colonies, assault Federation ships, sell slaves, or anything like that, if everyone is supposed to be "heroic?" Or the doff missions where we can assassinate someone? With all the noblebright skub that has continued to roll along with the game/story, what's that say about these?

What about the "Path of the Warrior" patrols that can still be done?
    ichaerus1 wrote: »

Some examples:

So why has Cryptic not phased out the Marauding doff missions? Or the more shadowy espionage missions? You know, the ones where we can send out orders to bomb manufactories, pillage colonies, assault Federation ships, sell slaves, or anything like that, if everyone is supposed to be "heroic?" Or the doff missions where we can assassinate someone? With all the noblebright skub that has continued to roll along with the game/story, what's that say about these?

Even excluding the fact that there's been very little to no development in the DOFF system and it doesn't match the current state of the galaxy on either of the main factions.

Well heroic for a klingon is different from a heroic for a Starfleet officer, there's no honor in personally attacking an unarmed freighter.

The key Word here being "personally", kind of like a European feudal lord or japanese daimyo could order someone to be assasinated as long they said something like "I want this person taken care of", but if they were caught personally trying to assasinate someone or gave a direct non-euphamistic order to do so, it would be total and permanent loss of honor for them.
    Remember, anyone could be an Undine in disguise. The Klingons aren't the Federation. They aren't going to go easy on anyone they suspect of being an Undine.

I was suggesting that the episode/mission could've been done in such a way that the FEDs are rescuing the ship from what appears to be a Klingon raid, but in actuality the KDF is hunting an Undine infiltrator. Yes, from the FED point of view, the Klingons would appear to be terrorizing a cargo freighter. And from the KDF point of view, Starfleet's incompetence and interference allow an enemy combatant to escape. It's a classic case of miscommunication between the Factions since they are in a state of war over the Undine issue anyway.

Said Undine infiltrator could've then, with Starfleet's unknowing help, made its way to Vulcan, where it replaces Ambassador Sokketh. Again, the KDF track the Undine to P'Jem, where they continue the hunt, and Starfleet's interference allows the Undine to escape again. The FED ferrying mission unwittingly brings the Undine to P'Jem, where the FEDs discover the first evidence that the Klingons have been right all along about the Undine infiltration.

The point of it all really being that it's the same story, similar missions, but from different points of view. As it is, you don't see that in the Federation-Klingon War arc.
    Personally I would like a mix of "same mission from a different point of view" and unique missions from their own cultural point of view for the Klingon War arc.

That said something I'd really like is non-human/klingon point of view for it at least for the main races, I got 2 KDF characters an orion and a klingon and they behave more or less identically as far as dialogue choices go, it would be really nice to have "KDF but not klingon" point of view (it's less drastic for FED side due most races being federation members rather then just allies for convinience but it would nice to have major races behave accordingly there too).
    I can't tell if this was a support, or rebuttal, to my post..

An addition to your point, just filling in some gaps.

i couldn't care less about the Boff system. Besides its current situation isn't fit for purpose in the current galactic climate. The fact the KDF and Feds can ally up in the romulan minefield so early points to the idea that Klingons can make nice when needed and so following though on planting bombs and what not doesn't fit with the way things are.

Some examples:

Depending on your interpretation, those could be seen as a rather brutal way of enforcing KDF borders. Example "Unauthorized raid on illegal Federation colony". It makes it sound like they're criminals and you're just enforcing the law.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User

Some examples:

Depending on your interpretation, those could be seen as a rather brutal way of enforcing KDF borders. Example "Unauthorized raid on illegal Federation colony". It makes it sound like they're criminals and you're just enforcing the law.

Illegal according to whom? Remember that the war started over J'mpok's feudalistic land claims in the border region.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • raventomoeraventomoe Member Posts: 723 Arc User
    Well looking at the responses regarding Janeway; a few people do not have her followed on Twitter...

There is a lot of speculation as to what this means but the front runner is she is going to be back playing Janeway again in some form.
    "The Multiverse, the ultimate frontier..."
    Thus begins...Lyrical Trek
    starswordc wrote: »

Some examples:

Illegal according to whom? Remember that the war started over J'mpok's feudalistic land claims in the border region.
    Excellent question. We have insufficient information to be sure.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing

Some examples:

Excellent question. We have insufficient information to be sure.
    Though to be honest, that wouldn't be illegal according to klingon law.
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    > @spiritborn said:
    > Though to be honest, that wouldn't be illegal according to klingon law.

Perhaps not, but Klingon law is not the only one at issue. PT2409 even says explicitly that the Klingon Empire had long ago ceded the region in question to the Federation, so Jimmy Pok saying that it belongs to the Klingons is like if Prince William randomly decided to conquer part of of Germany because his great^4-grandfather was a son of the Duke of Saxe-Coburg.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
    > @spiritborn said:
    > Though to be honest, that wouldn't be illegal according to klingon law.

Perhaps not, but Klingon law is not the only one at issue. PT2409 even says explicitly that the Klingon Empire had long ago ceded the region in question to the Federation, so Jimmy Pok saying that it belongs to the Klingons is like if Prince William randomly decided to conquer part of of Germany because his great^4-grandfather was a son of the Duke of Saxe-Coburg.
    Since when are we talking about the Archanis sector? The doff mission does not specify Archanis. In fact you can find these missions in the ALPHA quadrant as well, so it's definitely not related to Archanis.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • erraberrab Member Posts: 1,428 Arc User
    spiritborn wrote: »
    azrael605 wrote: »
    > @spiritborn said:
    > somtaawkhar wrote: »
    >
    > captainwells wrote: »
    >
    > On a related note, we are still left hanging wondering whomever ["nudge, nudge - wink, wink"] showed up in her cell to tell the imprisoned Empress Sela about her deceased mother Tasha Yar too?
    >
    >
    >
    > Pretty sure Cryptic has said don't expect anything on that ever.
    >
    >
    >
    > I think the most they've said is they'd love to Brent Spiner come record voicework for Data but nothing (they can reveal) has been planned yet.

Spiner doesn't want to be Data anymore, it'll take something special to change his mind.

ive herd this before yet i find it ironic that my local comic-con this year has him along with other next gen actors there so he clearly likes talking about data.

What I do remember is him not wanting to play Data in live action due getting too old for the role of playing an ageless android (his words not mine), which does not make sense but wouldn't apply to STO (due everything being animated Data doesn't need to match the age of the actor)

Yeah,

I think you hit the nail right on the head with this one. I remember Spiner saying something to this effect quite awhile back. I think that if the right amount of money was offered, he'd be more than happy to do some voice work for the Character of Data.

I'd love to have a return of Lore in STO!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,101 Arc User

CBS didn't "demand" anything - it was the Cryptic Dev and Narketing teams taht ASKED if they could do something ST: D related in STO - and CBS said, "Yes". That's direct from the STO EP.

Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
    azrael605 wrote: »
    > @crypticarmsman said:
    > luminaire#0745 wrote: »
    >
    > This is presumably because AoD/MoD weren't actually planned at all, CBS just suddenly sent down a demand that they make Discovery the focus of the game. So Victory is Life gets cut short, and Discovery stuff is rushed because they're making it up on the fly.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > CBS didn't "demand" anything - it was the Cryptic Dev and Narketing teams taht ASKED if they could do something ST: D related in STO - and CBS said, "Yes". That's direct from the STO EP.

The same day Discovery was originally announced, before it even had a name, the EP said they had already contacted CBS asking about doing tie in material. Also the assertion that Cryptic is "making it up on the fly" is way off as well as just a few days ago we were told in a Priority One interview that not only are Cryptic's writers working collaboratively with Discovery's but the Cryptic team has had Discovery's writers ask to use stuff Cryptic came up with, and Gecko apparently knows the entire plot of season 2 including the identity of the "Red Angel".
    not mention it fails to consider that getting actors to voice a character isn't something you can do overnight, the contract(s) and simply the actor being avaible are something that needs to be discussed, then there's the writing the script. Voice acted mission isn't something you can do "on the fly".

Personally I think the idea that CBS demanded Cryptic to make DSC material is based on the (false) assumption that there's no genuinely like or even amblivience about Discovery and thus there's no genuine intrest on making Discovery content (since everyone dislikes it). Therefore CBS must force EU developers to make Discovery content.
This discussion has been closed.