test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

privacy

Hello!

I don't want to be tracked with the "/CombatLog" command.
Please disable this command or insert a "Privacy" tab into the options menu.
Please insert in this menu too, options, that i can decline streaming and recording with different programms (like YouTube, Twitch, Fraps, ...).

Greetings!

Comments

  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 7,256 Arc User
    Solution: Play solo or with friends or fleet members.

    People have a right to parse their runs and to upload their videos. If you don't wish to be a part of it, that's fair, but you can avoid it by just not queuing with the general public.
    wDYkQHL.jpg

    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
  • flyingyaraflyingyara Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    People have a right to parse their runs

    Then modify the command, that only the player will be parsed and not the whole team.
    and to upload their Videos.

    Sorry, but if i'm playing in a team, i don't want, that thousands or millions see me.
    Is it a MMO? Yes. Are there other players? Yes. Do i like to play with them? Sure! Are i'm free to be observed? No way!
  • thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 3,298 Arc User
    > @flyingyara said: sorry, but if i'm playing in a team, i don't want, that thousands or millions see me.
    > Is it a MMO? Yes. Are there other players? Yes. Do i like to play with them? Sure! Are i'm free to be observed? No way!

    They don't see you. They see a character/ship owned by Cryptic and being used in a public virtual space. You don't "own" anything in this game; you simply use it with Cryptic's permission.

    The-Grand-Nagus
    Join Date: Sep 2008

    og9Zoh0.jpg
  • captainwellscaptainwells Member Posts: 481 Arc User
    > @flyingyara said: sorry, but if i'm playing in a team, i don't want, that thousands or millions see me.
    > Is it a MMO? Yes. Are there other players? Yes. Do i like to play with them? Sure! Are i'm free to be observed? No way!

    They don't see you. They see a character/ship owned by Cryptic and being used in a public virtual space. You don't "own" anything in this game; you simply use it with Cryptic's permission.

    Hear, hear!!
  • zerokillcf2011zerokillcf2011 Member Posts: 541 Arc User
    Ok, so a couple things:

    1) As mentioned you don't own anything in this game, you are using Crytpic's servers at their permission to play a game they solely own, using characters or ships created by and licensed to them

    2) Cryptic themselves log your combat. Thats how you can get an AFK penalty doing a TFO simply because you were outshot by the other players (must hit at least 5% or 10% of the total damage done in the TFO I think? Something like that

    3) This is a MMORPG, so if privacy is your issue A) do NOT use anything closely resembling your real name, B) set up a free gmail account or something for the game login, and C) don't say or do anything stupid thinking you deserve or somehow have freedom to be an idiot without consequence.

    4) In MOST states (and the states that DONT, will always give priority to the state laws of the person who is recording. So even if you are in a state that does NOT have private recording protection laws, if the person who is doing the recording is in a state that DOES have these laws, they win) someone can physically record YOU physically and do not need your permission. As long as one of the parties being recorded is aware they are being recorded, it is legal. Regardless of if they are using it to record themselves and others recorded are done so by accident OR even if they are simply attempting to record the other parties. Most states even allow this in court. That's why people are allowed to record their own phone calls, or you can have a video camera security system. There is no digital protection for you allowed under law. ANYTHING you post, say, or do online is fair game and can be copied, and redistributed as long as there is no monetary gain. But thats why cops can wear body cams and hunters don't need to post where their trail cams are, and your bank and gas station and store dont HAVE to tell you that they are recording. Those signs everywhere telling you they are recording you isn't to legally meat a requirement, it is in the hope that know you are being watched you wont try something?

    On an other note, if you are making this post out of fear of being bullied for being a "low hitter" OR if you WERE bullied for being dead weight....PLEASE submit a ticket. Life has no pace for bullies. Star Trek has ALWAYS been about inclusiveness. Cryptic does NOT take kindly to people bullying and they DO look into those support tickets.

    Also, if you are simply shy, or perhaps a kid, find a good fleet online. There are thousands. Most are full of kind, and fun people that WANT to help new players and will run missions with you so you KNOW you are being recorded, etc. Or ask for help. Even in the zone chat when you ask for help running a mission or need something, usually a complete stranger will pop up and be willing. But again a fleet is good for that specifically too.

    Lastly, no one is knocking on you in this thread. But since you have a low post count: heads up, if you post a complaint about a game change that needs to be made just for you, or whining thread....if the mods don't just shut it down, the players will generally not treat the issue favorably.

  • wingedhussar#7584 wingedhussar Member Posts: 72 Community Moderator
    ^This is basically correct.

    However, in regards to your last paragraph, we moderators can speak for ourselves perfectly well.
    latest?cb=20171202101458

    ...THEN THE WINGED HUSSARS ARRIVED!
    Volunteer community moderator for the Star Trek Online forums. Not a Cryptic Studios or Perfect World employee.
  • zerokillcf2011zerokillcf2011 Member Posts: 541 Arc User
    ^This is basically correct.

    However, in regards to your last paragraph, we moderators can speak for ourselves perfectly well.

    Wasnt attempting to speak for you guys!

    Just was advising the OP that often time the mods will close threads that are just whining, and that if they don't the players may be harsh in their criticisms. Trying to just give the OP a direction to vent, or perhaps post things as a question rather than a "this needs FIXED, because I say its broken" thread.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 8,649 Arc User
    Or just for Minority Reports.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!
    Judge Dan Haywood
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 5,568 Community Moderator
    cZvoyus.gif
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of PWE/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of PWE/Cryptic
    Contact Customer Support --> https://support.arcgames.com
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
  • viridian74#1359 viridian74 Member Posts: 43 Arc User
    3) This is a MMORPG, so if privacy is your issue A) do NOT use anything closely resembling your real name, B) set up a free gmail account or something for the game login, and C) don't say or do anything stupid thinking you deserve or somehow have freedom to be an idiot without consequence.

    This, A and B, a million times. C is matter of basic good manners.
  • trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,225 Arc User
    cZvoyus.gif

    2ucwj1.jpg
    Cheating_zps1brwslhb.jpg
  • ilithynilithyn Member Posts: 790 Arc User
    Honestly I hate people who publicizes parse records result that relates to other than themselves, like blank out other people. Also why can't these people find their own groups if they're so interested in recording other people.

    And before some jackass gets funny, no I'm not a low hitter and I don't queue up for a level I'm not ready for. But I don't necessarily want myself - and yes actually according to law a digital avatar such as a toon in STO counts as 'me' for the purpose of the law - posted all around. Not to mention I'll send an insulting letter next time I get an invite to the DSP channels based on these runs. I'm not interested, get it through your all thick skulls and stop damn well inviting me. I'm tired of having to join and then leave because I keep getting invited.

    P.S. There are plenty of states where recording people without their explicit consent is illegal as hell and will land you in jail if you do so, especially if you publicize said recordings. You may all want to look into that. And that's the US alone.
    Logic is the beginning of wisdom, not the end of it.
  • ilithynilithyn Member Posts: 790 Arc User
    Ok, so a couple things:

    1) As mentioned you don't own anything in this game, you are using Crytpic's servers at their permission to play a game they solely own, using characters or ships created by and licensed to them

    2) Cryptic themselves log your combat. Thats how you can get an AFK penalty doing a TFO simply because you were outshot by the other players (must hit at least 5% or 10% of the total damage done in the TFO I think? Something like that

    3) This is a MMORPG, so if privacy is your issue A) do NOT use anything closely resembling your real name, B) set up a free gmail account or something for the game login, and C) don't say or do anything stupid thinking you deserve or somehow have freedom to be an idiot without consequence.

    4) In MOST states (and the states that DONT, will always give priority to the state laws of the person who is recording. So even if you are in a state that does NOT have private recording protection laws, if the person who is doing the recording is in a state that DOES have these laws, they win) someone can physically record YOU physically and do not need your permission. As long as one of the parties being recorded is aware they are being recorded, it is legal. Regardless of if they are using it to record themselves and others recorded are done so by accident OR even if they are simply attempting to record the other parties. Most states even allow this in court. That's why people are allowed to record their own phone calls, or you can have a video camera security system. There is no digital protection for you allowed under law. ANYTHING you post, say, or do online is fair game and can be copied, and redistributed as long as there is no monetary gain. But thats why cops can wear body cams and hunters don't need to post where their trail cams are, and your bank and gas station and store dont HAVE to tell you that they are recording. Those signs everywhere telling you they are recording you isn't to legally meat a requirement, it is in the hope that know you are being watched you wont try something?

    On an other note, if you are making this post out of fear of being bullied for being a "low hitter" OR if you WERE bullied for being dead weight....PLEASE submit a ticket. Life has no pace for bullies. Star Trek has ALWAYS been about inclusiveness. Cryptic does NOT take kindly to people bullying and they DO look into those support tickets.

    Also, if you are simply shy, or perhaps a kid, find a good fleet online. There are thousands. Most are full of kind, and fun people that WANT to help new players and will run missions with you so you KNOW you are being recorded, etc. Or ask for help. Even in the zone chat when you ask for help running a mission or need something, usually a complete stranger will pop up and be willing. But again a fleet is good for that specifically too.

    Lastly, no one is knocking on you in this thread. But since you have a low post count: heads up, if you post a complaint about a game change that needs to be made just for you, or whining thread....if the mods don't just shut it down, the players will generally not treat the issue favorably.

    This is possibly the most condescending answer I've ever read to a question, not to mention factually incorrect in several cases.
    Logic is the beginning of wisdom, not the end of it.
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,643 Arc User
    > @ilithyn said:
    > This is possibly the most condescending answer I've ever read to a question, not to mention factually incorrect in several cases.

    And I'm sure you will be able to provide citations and evidence for how he is wrong.
    "Two ways to view the world, so similar at times / Two ways to rule the world, to justify their crimes / By Kings and Queens young men are sent to die in war / Their propaganda speaks those words been heard before"
    — Sabaton, "A Lifetime of War"
    9MUythl.png
    (Vaporware thanks to Foundry shutdown. Thanks a frakking bunch, Cryptic.)
  • valoreahvaloreah Member Posts: 9,936 Arc User
    edited February 22
    (flame/troll post removed) - darkbladejk
    Post edited by darkbladejk on
    Dear Devs: I enjoyed the Legacy of Romulus expansion much more than the Delta Rising expansion. .
    thecosmic1 wrote:
    Anyone calling Valoreah a "Cryptic fanboy" must be new to the forum.

    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 8,321 Arc User
    edited February 22
    (response to redacted post removed) - darkbladejk
  • valoreahvaloreah Member Posts: 9,936 Arc User
    flyingyara wrote: »
    ...Are i'm free to be observed? No way!

    That's not correct.
    Dear Devs: I enjoyed the Legacy of Romulus expansion much more than the Delta Rising expansion. .
    thecosmic1 wrote:
    Anyone calling Valoreah a "Cryptic fanboy" must be new to the forum.

    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • zerokillcf2011zerokillcf2011 Member Posts: 541 Arc User
    ilithyn wrote: »

    P.S. There are plenty of states where recording people without their explicit consent is illegal as hell and will land you in jail if you do so, especially if you publicize said recordings. You may all want to look into that. And that's the US alone.

    You are factually incorrect. There are ZERO states where recording people without their explicit consent is illegal. There are a whopping FOURTEEN states that even have recording laws AT ALL. But those are in reference only to recorded PHONE conversations. And as I stated in my original thread, as long as one party on the recording knows the call is recorded....its still legal. The ATM doesn't need your express consent to record you. The cameras hanging in front of any government building, or on an overhead light doesnt need your permission. The cameras in Walmart and Home Depot, etc, don't need your permission. The couple shooting a family video on vacation doesn't need your permission when you cross into frame even if they post it online to youtube and its gets millions of hits. "Oh, I was in the background two rows behind them on the rollercoaster, your video of the ride is illegal!" No? That's illegal in the state you live in? When you bought your last car, did the dealer make you sign a consent form, because there was probably DOZENS of cameras watching the inventory. No? Hmmmm....Oh, and you can have a dash cam in all 50 states, and they can record 'you' (your car makes a good avatar, as its not YOU but obviously under your direct control, don't you think?) being an idiot and speeding and changing lanes without a signal and guess what? That video (made without your consent) is legal in court in all 50 states if there is an accident OR even if they just want to turn you in to the cops. You can get a ticket MAILED to you for running a red light (I know a lot of people fight those, since "you can't prove it was me driving!" which is why most cities are moving the camera's lower and getting high res photos of your face to go with it!) ETC. Etc, etc.

    I have worked in the security camera industry, managed an electronics store that sold cameras and phone recording devices, and worked in a call center. I'm LICENSED and have gone through all the government mandated privacy courses and have had to recertify every 2 years for almost two decades. YOU are wrong. you can be recorded by anyone for any reason. The ONLY time they need your consent is when they are INTENDING to make money from a recording of you specifically. And for a private citizen, if they are recording THEMSELVES and happen to by chance record anyone else, to bad. That's their right. You have no protection. If they make money incidentally from a recording with you on it (but the recording of YOU specifically isn't what made them money) then they are in their right. You think the news team gets written statements from all the rioters when they film them for example? And they made money off the recording....but just not off a specific PERSON.....hmmmm...

    Also a digital avatar does not represent you according to the law. It is a digital footprint that you are using to interact with others within a private game or enterprise. Avatars have no rights. You do not own them as you cannot tangibly remove it in any way from the proprietary ownership of the company that owns said game or from the social media platform, etc. You are using their servers and their network according to THEIR privacy rules, and THEIR game rules. These rule do NOT have to comply with real life for behavior between players. That's why we can kill each other in the GAME. Because its an avatar with no rights killing an avatar that has no rights? An avatar simply represents you the same way a profile ID or username does. So when people break ACTUAL law by soliciting sex or cyber bullying, as the avatar/username/profile is a digital representation of a human being, they can still be charged for violating laws such as those against cyber bullying, or harassment, etc. You clicked the "I agree" button to the consent form when you started playing STO, as did every other player. So now you play by THOSE rules, which state a player CAN record their own runs, regardless of who else is recorded. As long as those recordings are used in a negative or defamatory manner. So as long as there are no real world laws broken (threats of physical harm, sexual abuse, terrorism, etc) its a game. People sue all the time, and always lose; because they agreed to the term and conditions of the game owners.

    Was my comment condescending? From a "certain point of view" (with the previous SW memes, felt right), but it was truthful. Points 1-4 are just plain dumb fact. Cryptic owns everything and if they feel you breached your user agreement they can ban you or shut down your account. FTP or with hundreds of actual dollars spent. Their game, their rules. The AFK penalty IS there, so Cryptic IS logging DPS. That's just fact. And don't use your private or real info....duh. The last three paragraphs were providing insight. Bullies suck and Cryptic WILL do something about it. Fact. Fleets are helpful, friendly, and wont record if you ask. Fact. Dont whine online because nobody wants to hear it. Opinion? But pretty much fact.

    If my 100% factual comment was the most condescending response to a question you have ever read?

    I have a bridge in Brooklyn I would like to sell you.
  • thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 3,298 Arc User
    ilithyn wrote: »
    Honestly I hate people who publicizes parse records result that relates to other than themselves, like blank out other people.

    You have every right to feel that way. But your feeling does not negate the fact that they have every right to do it.

    The-Grand-Nagus
    Join Date: Sep 2008

    og9Zoh0.jpg
  • thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 3,298 Arc User
    valoreah wrote: »
    flyingyara wrote: »
    ...Are i'm free to be observed? No way!

    That's not correct.

    Seconded. You have no "expectation of privacy" in public when it comes to simply being observed. And that's in the real world. It's even more true in the fake virtual world.

    The-Grand-Nagus
    Join Date: Sep 2008

    og9Zoh0.jpg
  • darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 1,593 Community Moderator
    All that command does is log the combat player side so it can be broken down and parsed. As others have already pointed out, the game itself keeps track of this on its own regardless so it knows if an AFK penalty needs to be awarded or not. In order to give you proper numbers for how much damage you're doing

    Secondly you're joining what amounts to a virtual public space and have no reasonable expectation of privacy. You can prevent individual people from messaging you and so on, but that's about it. There is nowhere you can go in this game save for story missions or your own bridge where you can guarantee you will not run into other people. If someone is recording a video and you just so happen to be in the background, you're free to ask them to blur your name or censor you out in some way, but they are under no obligation to do so. Anyone in game can view your @handle by simply right clicking your name in game, so if you're worried about something like that, then that information was made available the moment you entered the game and encountered your first player.

    In regards to parsing, as I mentioned above the game already does it. The player side parses you're referring to simply log the available combat information. In regards to the team there is no way for anyone to have an accurate parse if it's not measuring the team itself in regards to who's doing what or so on.

    Unless someone is giving out your real life information or harassing you in some way, I see no issue here. If someone is harassing you or anything along those lines, then put in a ticket. Otherwise folks have a right to know how well or not well they're doing in game. If you yourself don't want to parse then don't or don't pay attention to it if someone else posts one. There's literally no difference in someone totaling everything up by hand, and what the 3rd party parsers do. In both accounts it's just reading information that's already there.
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

    Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 5,568 Community Moderator
    edited February 22
    Your expectations to privacy have already been spelled out:

    Terms of Service
    Privacy Policy
    Cookie Policy

    8zkdpcf.png
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of PWE/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of PWE/Cryptic
    Contact Customer Support --> https://support.arcgames.com
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
This discussion has been closed.