test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

meanwhile....what happend to the storylines...

13»

Comments

• spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    foxman00 wrote: »
    Yeah, I wondering with her coming back. We might have another Klingon Civil War on our hands. Or even a three way spilt between Martok, J'Ula and the current Chancellor. The Hurq attack and Iconian war fall-out has left the klingon empire not in a good way. Plus, Starfleet after its heavy losses in Iconian & Hurq wars, is not doing much better.

Would be the worse time for the Borg to come back in a stronger state having found something to give them a boost. Or, god forbid, a three way issue with Tilly, J'Ula and the Klingons going at it
    Martok has zero political ambitions, and has no desire to challenge J'mpok. It would be J'Ula and her forces vs the main Klingon Empire. Probably with remnants of House Torg, Duras, and Mo'Kai joining her.
    I think House Torg and House Duras are more or less dead at the moment with Duras reduced to 1 member and Torg having been hit with several battles with little to no ability to re-enforce their ranks, House B'vat might still exists and we know House Mo'kai exists to some extent.

Even if there's enough House Torg members to be a viable threat I suspect that if they're anything like their former leader they won't want to ally with J'Ula due to arrogance.
  • spearhawk2013spearhawk2013 Member Posts: 217 Arc User
    foxman00 wrote: »
    Yeah, I wondering with her coming back. We might have another Klingon Civil War on our hands. Or even a three way spilt between Martok, J'Ula and the current Chancellor. The Hurq attack and Iconian war fall-out has left the klingon empire not in a good way. Plus, Starfleet after its heavy losses in Iconian & Hurq wars, is not doing much better.

Would be the worse time for the Borg to come back in a stronger state having found something to give them a boost. Or, god forbid, a three way issue with Tilly, J'Ula and the Klingons going at it
    Martok has zero political ambitions, and has no desire to challenge J'mpok. It would be J'Ula and her forces vs the main Klingon Empire. Probably with remnants of House Torg, Duras, and Mo'Kai joining her.
    really? you played Klingon and seen their unique storyline?
    Cause I have and all Klingon's got is a few starter missions and the rest is copies from Fed episodes.
    I would not call 5-10 missions at start their own unique storyline....I would call it tutorial...

and as for the discovery parts, well, I see no new tutorial or no new klingon loading screens etc
    or any such thing that would set it aside as being Klingon, the only thing new is superficial

Maybe, maybe, the klingons will have something of their own more than a tutorial at beginning of game.
    Yes, I have played it. Klingons have 16 unique missions to them. Compared to
    -The Romulan Republic's 25 unique missions
    -The Federation's 12 unique missions
    -The TOS Fed's 6 unique missions
    -The Discovery and Jem'Hadar's zero unique missions
    Literally, only the Romulans have more unique missions then the Klingons. Hell, the Klingons have more unique missions to their faction then even the 2409 Federation does.

Also, I suppose you haven't played the new Discovery missions then? Because J'Ula, a Klingon, the sister of T'Kuvma, is the main villain of the arc. And Cryptic has already said they plan to add the Discovery Klingon parts to the character editor, as well as release outfits for every Klingon house seen on the show, and release pretty much every single Klingon ship seen in Discovery.

So yeah, there is a lot of Klingon focus with the new Discovery stuff.

If you say so, I am sure things will become better.
    When I levelled my Klingon to max there was no missions to speak of , it was PVP all the way
    there was no unique missions after the tutorial.

so I am happy if Klingon get some love, they been the red headed step child of federation
    since day one, although it was hilarious when fed (that had missions all the way to level 50(max back then)) met Klingons in PvP and got their rears handed to them cause Klingons had been pvp since level 6 and had the skillset for it, it was humourous to hear the cries of the federation how the cloak was OP etc. I have every faction, incl romulan at max, and I got to say, I was facinated by how good the layout for the rommies was, it was fun to start that faction. pity dev's did not make it as much for for all other factions, that would have been awesome.

WTB Borg faction next!!!

• ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    A Borg Faction Character wouldn't join another Faction, they'd assimilate it. ;)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • littlesarbonnlittlesarbonn Member Posts: 486 Arc User
    It's for reasons brought up in this thread that I just ignore the discontinuities of the time lines and just enjoy the stories for what they are.
    Fleet Admiral Duane Gundrum, U.S.S. Merrimack
    Fleet Admiral Ventaxa Proxmire, U.S.S. Shaka Walls Fell
    Blog: http://www.sarbonn.com/?page_id=1990
    Foundry series: Bob From Accounting & For the Sake of the Empire
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    spiritborn wrote: »
    with Duras reduced to 1 member
    House Duras isn't just one member, it was still rather well off by the time STO begins. Its also mentioned in the mission "Mine Enemy" that the remnants of the House of Torg have been absorbed into the House of Duras following the House of Torg's official discrediting/dissolution due to the events of the early Klingon missions, making it even larger. Though Torg obviously had his own small band of followers left at the Briar Patch.

There is also all the "Klingon Empire Rebels" from the various DSEs and such that would likely join J'Ula since they dislike what J'mpok is doing with the Empire.
    Thanks for the correction, I thought it was reduced just to Jarod
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,296 Community Moderator
    You should calm down, @patrickngo , before you blow a gasket. :smirk:
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • captainwellscaptainwells Member Posts: 718 Arc User
    Rather than rankle one another over how we individually prefer to view their increasingly haphazard or slapdash style of storytelling, we all should begin to just tell Cryptic that it is past time for them to decide just what they want Star Trek Online to be? I mean is it too much to ask that everything at least make some kind of sense or or we to remain perpetually puzzled over how this all intersects, or not?
    Everyone knows that Lt. Kevin Riley and Lt. (j.g.) Joe Tormolen started the Temporal Cold War. ;)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,296 Community Moderator
    patrickngo wrote: »
    You should calm down, @patrickngo , before you blow a gasket. :smirk:

I am calm, Baddmoon, you're not hearing me chuckling on this end. everything gets a lot less frustrating when you accept what it is for what it is, instead of living in denial out of some futile hope the Developers will notice and love you. There are practical reasons that this is "Starfleet the third person rails shooter" instead of something more diverse or creative.

Well, that was tongue-in-cheek on my end. I do understand your frustration. :smile:
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
    Custer did. ;)
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    the tutorial..
    You seem confused Pat, the Klingon tutorial consists of the missions
    https://sto.gamepedia.com/List_of_missions#Klingon_Episodes
    -End of Watch
    -Red Alert
    -Intruder Alert
    -Challenge for Command
    -Take Command
    -Your New Command
    -Journey to Qo'nos
    -First City

The missions I previously listed, that you quoted in that post, are part of the "Empire" arc. Have you played a Klingon character before?
    torg storyline from 2011, and a mission that's still got the same problems it had nearly a decade ago (the end is bugged and can toss you into a repeating loop instead of completing.)
    And there are bugs in the Federation missions, even the revamped missions.... that has nothing to do with the point of the argument which is them not being copy-paste of Fed missions.
    Are the Fek'ihri returns. I mentioned this one already also.
    And I included it for the sake of completion.
    The "Killy stuff" is Fed port, all the rest of AoD is either simulation or might as well be. Look, I get that there are mechanical and financial reasons why a KDF character is just a loyal Starfleet Officer of the Federation in a funny looking uniform, but please stop pretending that isn't what it is. KDF is just an NPC faction, and some impediments to progression to give the game something resembling (without actually being) a difficult mode.
    Except it isn't a Fed port, no matter how much you claim it is.

It isn't different because there is no reason for it to be different. Same reason all the other cross faction missions aren't totally different depending on your faction... because your faction logically had nothing to do with the situation and thus would be a non-factor regardless. And your race wouldn't logically affect the situation either unless you reductio ad absurdum races into one dimensional caricatures, where everyone acts, thinks, and does, the same thing within their species. Which, admittedly, TOS did, but Trek has moved away from that since like S3 of TNG.

It's all fedport, Som, it may be Discovery Fed port, but it's all Federation. it's one thing to recognize the technical limitations, it's another thing entirely to proclaim something is what it isn't to cover up for those technical limitations. Cryptic is a very small studio with a very large IP and a miniscule budget...with lots of bills. They can only really afford the manpower to do Federation missions and drop in a box that says 'Oh you guys can do it too.'

they were saddled from day one with an ambitious structure they have never had the money, manpower, or time to actually fill out. (Cryptic should NEVER have built this on a two-faction engine, but they did, and it literally costs too much to fix that now.)

STO 2 will probably be better, if they get rid of factions and make everyone Federation from the start.

It's like other things they don't have the money, manpower, time or expertise to handle, like PvP. should never have been included in the base package, because they don't have either the people who can manage it competently, nor the money to hire someone who can do so.

Acknowledge the mistakes, accept that it isn't going to change, and stop making excuses, the game's still okay as it is. You don't survive nine years in this market if you're not at least okay.

You're defending a hill made of dead horses, Som. The quality, and the budget are closely linked.

Okay, let's stop bickering about things, and address the issues you have one at a time here.

1. I agree with Som that it isn't all Federation, and hasn't been in my opinion since the Romulan mystery episodes, where Feds, Klingons and Romulans converge into the single storyline narrative. We saw that the Federation and Klingons were willing to put aside their war in order to put focus in on the Romulan Republic and the looming Iconian threat. Since then, they faced every threat as an allied force, dealing with the Temporal Cold War, the Tzenkethi crusade to harm near innocent worlds just to clear out the Hur'q before they awaken and most recently, the Hur'q themselves.

Now the Klingons seem to be facing a new problem with J'Ula around. She could very well force a Klingon civil war which would mean trouble for the alliance. Granted, this will essentially be from the focus of the alliance rather than a sole focus on Klingons, but as we know, Cryptic doesn't want to focus in on content that only one portion of the playerbase can play.

2. We get that Cryptic is a small studio. Look at what they were able to accomplish in 9 years though. They built the two-faction system at the time because they wanted to emulate what was popular at the time and that was WoW. They honestly want to change things so that the whole "Klingons cannot team with Feds" issue is no longer a problem, but it's not an easy programming fix.

3. The devs said themselves that STO 2 is essentially something that will never come to be. To them, it would mean shutting down production on STO and that's something that they simply do NOT want to do, as they feel that they've put too much time into the game now to just start over.

4. Going back to the original issue about STO being Federation/Starfleet centric, this is honestly nothing new in Star Trek. Yes, there have been episodes where Klingons were more of the focus, but the true focus has always been from the Starfleet side of things since that is what people know the most. I feel that the devs do their best to try and make things appeal to the other factions. It isn't always easy.

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    The "Killy stuff" is Fed port, all the rest of AoD is either simulation or might as well be. Look, I get that there are mechanical and financial reasons why a KDF character is just a loyal Starfleet Officer of the Federation in a funny looking uniform, but please stop pretending that isn't what it is. KDF is just an NPC faction, and some impediments to progression to give the game something resembling (without actually being) a difficult mode.
    Unh hunh…. soo... What do you think the mission script should be for a Klingon?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
This discussion has been closed.