test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Will this lap top work with Star Trek Online ?

lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
Efficient AMD quad core E2-6110 1.5GHz Processor with integrated Radeon R2 graphics for crisp and clear visuals.1-year Microsoft Office 365 Personal subscription included.Windows 10 S pre-instaled. Windows 10 S is the new standard in portable cloud-based operating systems. Windows 10 S is the 100% app based version of Windows 10 where Store apps are verified and designed for superior performance and security.32GB eMMC Flash Storage and 4GB DDR3 RAM.Optional free upgrade to Windows 10 Pro through the Microsoft Store.

So will it work with STO?
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,973 Community Moderator
    Don't need Microsoft Office or apps to run STO, and with it being an older game I don't see why not. Its borderline runable on a Potato. Only game that I can think of that might outshine STO in that regard might be WoW.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
    > @rattler2 said:
    > Don't need Microsoft Office or apps to run STO, and with it being an older game I don't see why not. Its borderline runable on a Potato. Only game that I can think of that might outshine STO in that regard might be WoW.

Thanks
  • tom61stotom61sto Member Posts: 3,635 Arc User
    edited February 2019
    I would not go for that unless it's extremely cheap and you're unlikely to afford better. You'll need to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro, as STO is not in the Microsoft Store. Windows 10 Pro needs more than the included 32GB of storage just to patch up to current updates. Further complicating things is that my folder for STO is currently at 23GB and I have on-demand patching on (I only download things as needed with this setting, you might need even more.) You'll need to add a Micro Sd card or tiny (so it doesn't stick out much) thumbdrive of 64GB or more to get it working, though 64GB are about $20, so that might not be a deal breaker.

The CPU speed seems very slow in benchmarks a quick Googling found, to the point it might not have enough CPU horsepower to run STO well. Expect it to choke on more intensive TFOs like CCA.

4GB of RAM is currently fine for STO, but with them moving to 64-bit, it might not be good enough forever.

This laptop processor was low-end when it came out in 2014, and it hasn't aged well.
  • thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    Will it play? Yes. Will it play well? No.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
    Thanks. So I won't buy it.
  • jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    At a minimum I recommend you look at a laptop with either an AMD Ryzen 3 2200u APU (Vega 3 graphics core, or Intel i3-8130u CPU (Intel UHD 620 graphics core). The i3-8130u is a bit more powerful of the two; both processing performance and graphics performance.
  • risian6#1997 risian6 Member Posts: 128 Arc User
    Switch out the AMD for AMP, it is probably the best thing you can get. Efficient is quite a good modifier, leave that as it is.

Try also to boost your weapons or auxiliary, depending on what you use the most ;)
    Formerly known as Risian4. Risian6 is my new PS4-account. Fleetcaptain5 is my main PC account. I hope to actively play again on PC in a few months.

Now that that's made clear... on to the next issue: when are playable Voth coming, and where's are my T7 Vesta and C-store purchasable real life shuttle? :)
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,501 Arc User
    edited February 2019
    It's not worth buying a Windows laptop with only 32 GB - 64 GB of storage, because Windows itself will use most of it.
    Switch out the AMD for AMP, it is probably the best thing you can get. Efficient is quite a good modifier, leave that as it is.

Try also to boost your weapons or auxiliary, depending on what you use the most ;)

Unfortunately, it's hard to get enough refined dil and salvage to re-engineer items outside of the game. My toaster is stuck with Acc x3 Acc/Dmg.

More seriously, follow @jaguarskx 's advice, and also make sure it comes with at least 256 GB of storage.
  • echm1echm1 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    Another thing to consider, STO is not a Windows 10 S compatible app. Only things from the Windows store work on that version of Windows, unless you pay for the upgrade to a normal version of Windows 10.
  • trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Don't need Microsoft Office or apps to run STO, and with it being an older game I don't see why not. Its borderline runable on a Potato. Only game that I can think of that might outshine STO in that regard might be WoW.

Leave my potato... err... 10 year old Toshiba Satellite alone. Sure, it may not play the game at high settings. But it'll still play it.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
This discussion has been closed.