test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

t6 crossfield needs a 25th century makeover skin

jim625jim625 Member Posts: 907 Arc User
like the title says and since all the other discovery era ships have been given a 25th century makeover then why not give one to the crossfield class
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• tousseautousseau Member Posts: 1,484 Arc User
    Give em time... there are still some other ships they still need t do for Dsc
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    If they do as good of a job as they did with the Gagarin (Shepard) then bring it on.

The Gagarin is a beautiful ship.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,973 Community Moderator
    I'm not really sure the Crossfield needs a 25th Century redesign. From what I understand, she was kinda purpose built for Spore Drive research, so the class wasn't as widespread as ships like the Shepard and Walker. Basically she's a unique ship like the Vengeance was in the Kelvin Timeline.

I wouldn't MIND seeing a 25th Century update, but the likelyhood of it happening is pretty low. Lore wise the ships we are getting in the C-Store Fed side are not actually Discovery era ships, but ships based on those of that time period. There's really no justification for an STO era Crossfield unless there was also one at Yard 39, and all the data on Spore Tech research is declassified. I kinda get the sense that its been buried deeper than the data on Genesis tech.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    Yeah going by the show she was built along with the U.S.S. Glen as test-beds for the spore drive, possibly based off and existing ship hull, but still pretty unique. That rotating saucer is unique to them as it was an integral part of the drive. The Glen was destroyed, leaving only a single ship.

And if the Short Treks are anything to go by then:
    the Discovery gets abandoned in space for 1000+ years and it looks like nobody finds it to copy its technology
    SulMatuul.png
  • salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    I don't know if "needs" is the right word. It would definitely be cool but it isn't something that we "need."
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Shouldn't happen. The tech was abandoned and what was said above.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    ltminns wrote: »
    Shouldn't happen. The tech was abandoned and what was said above.

Unlike ships like the Constitution Class that are still just mainstays of the fleet right? :lol:

I can see them doing a modern day version of it, they did a great job on the skin for the Shepard.. a modern Crossfield might be cool.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    I guess, but what would the saucer spin for, mixing cocktails. ;)

Or is the Scryer already the 25th Century Skin?
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,248 Arc User

other then having a whole in the saucer the Scryer and Crossfield have very little in common, btw do we know the fate of the USS Crossfield (you know the name sake of the class)?. While we know she can't have functional sporedrive (that was exclusive for the USS Glenn and USS Discovery), it doesn't mean she can't exists.
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User

Why does everyone think the actual saucer spins, it's just the outer skin if the hull that spins

but on a side note, I wouldn't mind some of the Intel hull material for Disco ships....especially now that Section 31 is a bigger thing on the show

Good to know Disco stole Intel ships from this game lol
    GwaoHAD.png
    spiritborn wrote: »
    other then having a whole in the saucer the Scryer and Crossfield have very little in common, btw do we know the fate of the USS Crossfield (you know the name sake of the class)?. While we know she can't have functional sporedrive (that was exclusive for the USS Glenn and USS Discovery), it doesn't mean she can't exists.

There might not even be a USS Crossfield. Purpose built ships may not follow the same conventions as normal ships of the line. Remember, Spore Drive Research was basically a Black Ops project. For all intents and purposes they didn't exist for security reasons. With the war over I think they were planning on dismantling the Spore Drive on Discovery due to the data brought back by Discovery and how the drive was used to "accidentially" jump into another universe. That, combined with the current navigator requirements of the Spore Drive make it impractical for widespread use. 23rd Century computers are just not powerful enough to handle the calculations needed to remove the "living pilot element", which in itself skirts the edges of legality in the Federation in one way or the other.

If there was another Crossfield at Yard 39... that has yet to be revealed. Although the digital CCG game Star Trek Adversaries does have the USS Andromeda as a Crossfield class, but that could be just to fill out a card roster. I took advantage of that for my Discovery Captain, saying that she got command of the Andromeda after she was found at Yard 39.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,248 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    spiritborn wrote: »

There might not even be a USS Crossfield. Purpose built ships may not follow the same conventions as normal ships of the line. Remember, Spore Drive Research was basically a Black Ops project. For all intents and purposes they didn't exist for security reasons. With the war over I think they were planning on dismantling the Spore Drive on Discovery due to the data brought back by Discovery and how the drive was used to "accidentially" jump into another universe. That, combined with the current navigator requirements of the Spore Drive make it impractical for widespread use. 23rd Century computers are just not powerful enough to handle the calculations needed to remove the "living pilot element", which in itself skirts the edges of legality in the Federation in one way or the other.

If there was another Crossfield at Yard 39... that has yet to be revealed. Although the digital CCG game Star Trek Adversaries does have the USS Andromeda as a Crossfield class, but that could be just to fill out a card roster. I took advantage of that for my Discovery Captain, saying that she got command of the Andromeda after she was found at Yard 39.

It's true that we don't got any clear evidence that USS Crossfield exist, but in my head canon it's prototype similar to the shuttle Enterprise, used to test the secondary systems to make sporedrive work without actually having one explaining why after the destruction of the USS Glenn why the Discovery is the only ship with a functional sporedrive.

After the Discovery and Glenn are built I'd suspect that Crossfield was mothballed or put into reserve fleet since it's not that different from your typical Starfleet ship and its purpose was complete.

Also in my headcannon the sporedrive program wasn't that went from 0 to functional prototype in less then a year but something Starfleet had been working with for quite some time but as low priority with limited resources (to keep it covert) and when the klingons attacked it got bumped into the top of priority list (or at least close to the top) and was given much more resources, allowing it to get to the "semi-functional" state we see it at the start of DSC season 1.
  • avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    edited February 2019
    I don't care for the ST:D ships but I think the T'Pau could use a 25th century skin like the D'Kyr.
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    I don't like the DSC skins myself, but the Gagarin looks really good and 2100 Zen wouldn't be too much of a stretch. I just pass because it'd be nonsense for me personally right now because I don't really play that much especially not with new characters. But Cryptic did a fine job with that ship skin, a 25c Crossfield would probably improve on it's looks greatly.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • nickcastletonnickcastleton Member Posts: 1,212 Arc User
    jim625 wrote: »
    like the title says and since all the other discovery era ships have been given a 25th century makeover then why not give one to the crossfield class
    Well its a can of worms to update a loxbox ship, the crossfield is a 25th century ship in a 23rd century skin much like the T6 NX the kelvin and vengance they are not supposed to actual 23rd century ships with 23rd century tech (technally lore wise i dont think a 23rd century ship would last 5 seconds againts any 25th century ships)

0bzJyzP.gif

"It appears we have lost our sex appeal, captain."- Tuvok
    avoozuul wrote: »
    ...but I think the T'Pau could use a 25th century skin like the D'Kyr.

Um... the D'Kyr's actually a 22nd Century design.
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter

Don't they mean that the T'Pau could use a 25th C skin like the D'Kyr could also use one?​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    Vulans does not update ther ships too much… its quite logical, actually, they work, why change them..
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    Who is Vulans? Why's he not maintaining his ships?​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    edited February 2019
    artan42 wrote: »

Don't they mean that the T'Pau could use a 25th C skin like the D'Kyr could also use one?​​

Who knows.
    > @artan42 said:
    > Who is Vulans? Why's he not maintaining his ships?​​

Lol, i meant Vulcans... 🤣
    I you read the description in the discoverD Lockbox, that ship is new, they rebuild the technology, so a C-Store version with a new design is not out of the question.. unless CBS does not want that .
  • angarus1angarus1 Member Posts: 684 Arc User
    The Crossfield doesn't *need* a 25th century skin, but I sure wouldn't mind seeing one. ;)
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited February 2019
    That would be cool, but it seems unlikely - the ship is already an exclusive ship that very few have, it wouldn't really benefit all that many people. Unless they make another Discovery Lockbox perhaps? But if it was a contemporary ship from the STO timeline, there is no real justification to put it in a lockbox (or promo etc.), and I don't think a non-lockboxed variant of the Discovery is in the stars.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
This discussion has been closed.