As some of you are probably aware, Cryptic Studios hosted last week Priority One at their office. The podcast was made available yesterday, and I took down as many notes from listening it as I possibly could. It was a 3 hour+ set of information that was delivered, so I wanted to break it up into a few posts. In this first post, I'll be posting the stuff that P1 discussed with Ambassador Kael, Al Rivera and the Art Director, Bill Yeatts.
In my opinion, this was probably the best possible info dump that we could get from Cryptic, outside of weekly tidbits of information. I am interested to see what you guys think of the information here.
- The big issue surrounding Windows Server, as I understand it, it's just a mess. There are many different versions and it's obviously hard to maintain compatibility since some versions have directX and some don't. They do plan to monitor the number of users who do log in via Windows Server and it's likely going to be a temporary restoration as they feel like Windows XP, Windows Server is just too unstable.
- The Foundry is unfortunately a low priority portion of the game for the time being. The reason is because the programmers whom work on it are usually the same ones whom are working on fixing other issues. It may take weeks for them to fix an issue plaguing the Foundry. Both Mike and Al usually try to push for the Foundry to get some higher priority, but there are just some things that need higher priority.
- On the subject of future playable factions/third allegiance, Cardassian and Borg remain possible factions to add. However, since there's a lot that goes into making a faction, there's likely not going to be another starting experience for a while. Adding a third distinct faction on the level of what we have with Federation and Klingons essentially isn't going to work because they don't want to further cause any more division of the playerbase. Starting experiences though are more likely to be done, but still very much time consuming.
- Romulan and Jem'hadar ships are coming sometime this year as they're on the schedule. As far as specific story content for them, they'd rather focus in on stories that everyone can play as a whole, rather than creating content for a small portion of the playerbase.
- Don't expect them to ever drop the 2 faction system as far as teaming goes. Since the game was designed over a 2 faction system to emulate World of Warcraft, the game's coding would have to be ripped out just to allow teaming and its just not something they will do anytime soon. They want to make it happen though.
- STO 2/2.0 is a bigger discussion than doing something like a Reputation revamp, the latter which they want to try and accomplish at some point. When they did get to talk about STO 2, they honestly just don't want to shut the game down and start over. They feel that STO, 9 years now into its life, is going just too strong to shut down. That's why they try to incorporate as many quality of life features as time allows them to.
- There was an episode remaster planned for this month, but got put off because they didn't have all of the writers available (Ryon had another baby born in his family).
- UI is something that they want to overhaul in order to improve the ease of use as well as fix performance issues.
- When it comes to the recent Discovery story shift, we saw that they changed the way they do their episode arcs. With a currently running Star Trek series, they have an idea of where they want to take the current 2 arcs they have. Season 17 (which I believe is Age of Discovery Part 3), they are gonna bring 2 more episodes that will be the episodes that get inserted into Age of Discovery and become part of the Discovery character's leveling experience. Other series may also tie in like Section 31.
- The goal is to eventually get to a point that if you see something in the TV series, it'll come to STO in the not too distance future.
- Challenge player feature, which has been broken for quite some time, is planned to be fixed, but no ETA on it.
- Bridge officer Promotion to Captain apparently almost made it into VIL. They say that the ability to start a character at level 60 is a step in that direction.
- Inventory slot increases beyond what we currently have is mainly a database issue and not mainly because the devs do not want to do it. This is why they charge for inventory slots.
- Making GPL more useful is something they do want to do.
- No current solutions for TFO leaver penalties. Hard to design a system that won't be exploited by leavers.
- No current plans for Temporal Recruitment or any other Recruitment events on the schedule.
- They have plans on converting all T6 ships eventually to be scaling ships. There is no timetable on this.