test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The Discovery Operations Pack!

Comments

• seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited February 2019
    You can not like the offering that is the Discovery Operations Pack. You can refuse to purchase it. But the accusations in here need to stop.

I respectfully disagree.

If we see practices being implemented that we feel are a concern then we have a right to speak up about it. It's based on fact, on things that are happening and have happened and it's concerning.

I do not wish to break the rules and do not wish to anger you personally, but I also will not be silent on these issues, nor should I have to be. Cryptic has engaged in some questionable marketing over the past months and they need to know that people realize it.

I encourage you to be lenient with such things, it's being discussed with the intent of getting the behavior corrected for all of our benefits. We can be respectful in pointing out our concern, that's fair.

What we won't be however, is silent.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • starshine#7408 starshine Member Posts: 127 Arc User
    The Shran is really fun to fly.
    and once you get the silly helmet off, the cyberBOFF has cool implants, no hair though even though the character from the show has hair.
    TOS>LDS>DSC>VOY>DS9>PRO>ENT>TNG>PIC

Bring the Enterprise XCV-330 to STO
  • quentinstonequentinstone Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    I can confirm the cost is 7350 with both the discount andprior purchase of the Age of Discovery set, as that's what it lists for for me in the c-store. 7350.
  • kirk2811kirk2811 Member Posts: 85 Arc User
    nommo#5819 wrote: »
    storules wrote: »
    it comes out tomorrow
    8400 with discount
    7350 with discount and starter pack discount

Anyone care to confirm?
    Pack costs 8400 ZEN ? and 7350 ZEN if you already have an starter pack?​​

I'm sure you are already aware now & in-game but the 7350 is the current sale price if you own the Disc starter pack.

I hope that despite all the "concessions" they've made, people will still see this pack as absolutely not worth the price. This includes the idea that it being on sale makes it more valuable, as if a sale is the actual asking price and not a tactic to show a good side.

Pack still isn't worth it in my opinion, and won't be until they either add more ships or drop the price. Character vs account unlocks isn't magically changing how I feel about this, and I hope that sales are still low just so this doesn't happen again.

I think you're being nice describing that as "concessions". I think this was a planned marketing ploy all along. However, doing so I'm sure there will be enough to buy it now so we as players, customers, should expect similar tactics down the road for STO more of this towards the player base & more gambling in more aspects of STO.

I totally agree with you about this being a planned marketing ploy all along. Furthermore, even with these "concessions" this pack is way too overpriced IMO
  • shadowfirefly00shadowfirefly00 Member Posts: 1,026 Arc User
    On a similar note I am annoyed that the clothing options are not available as discrete purchases. This is quite aside from my belief that the vest should have been part of the DSC uniform package from the beginning...
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,210 Community Moderator
    @seaofsorrows I'm not saying be silent. Hell, I agreed with the majority that the BOFFs and Tardigrade should've been account-wide unlocks. I'm glad that the vocal protests about those items resulted in Cryptic making a change. And don't worry about angering me personally. I do my best to keep any of this forum business from being personal. I just know that some of the stuff being said about Cryptic's marketing lean towards borderline, if not out right, criminal accusations, and that just isn't going to fly in this forum. So, like I was saying, don't like it, don't buy it, but the accusations need to stop. If you don't agree with the way a certain item is being marketed, fine, say something. By all means, speak up. It obviously made a difference here. But we can't go that step further with the over the top accusations, though. That's all I'm saying.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • captaincelestialcaptaincelestial Member Posts: 1,925 Arc User
    Happy Valentines Day!
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    On a similar note I am annoyed that the clothing options are not available as discrete purchases. This is quite aside from my belief that the vest should have been part of the DSC uniform package from the beginning...

Priced at 500 zen they are 50 zen cheaper than other uniforms. They do come with fewer options than usual, but they also come with a single-character Boff as well so it evens out I think.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited February 2019
    @seaofsorrows I'm not saying be silent. Hell, I agreed with the majority that the BOFFs and Tardigrade should've been account-wide unlocks. I'm glad that the vocal protests about those items resulted in Cryptic making a change. And don't worry about angering me personally. I do my best to keep any of this forum business from being personal. I just know that some of the stuff being said about Cryptic's marketing lean towards borderline, if not out right, criminal accusations, and that just isn't going to fly in this forum. So, like I was saying, don't like it, don't buy it, but the accusations need to stop. If you don't agree with the way a certain item is being marketed, fine, say something. By all means, speak up. It obviously made a difference here. But we can't go that step further with the over the top accusations, though. That's all I'm saying.

Fair enough, I will be mindful of my wording. Thanks. :smile:
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • aelwulf1aelwulf1 Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    Doing some quick general math in the C-store the pack price seems to have stabilized some. It's still not as good as should be expected, but it is a discount at least. I have the Starter Pack already, so I ran it without considering that (and considering the lower price for those who bought it). With everything included, sans start pack, it comes out to roughly 10,600 Zen (I did quick math in my head, not exact on a calculator). This means without the 30% sale it's not really a discount pack so much as a 'here's everything together' pack. But currently with the discount it's at least tolerable at 7350. Should the non-sale price be lower? Yes. Should that make the sale price lower? Yes. But at least with the sale it's a discount as it should be even if not as much.

That being said, I still agree with most of the rest that this sort of pricing better be a one-time oops, and the combat tardigrade should still go once per character instead of once per account (retroactive to those who've purchased the pack).
  • irm1963irm1963 Member Posts: 682 Arc User

Priced at 500 zen they are 50 zen cheaper than other uniforms. They do come with fewer options than usual, but they also come with a single-character Boff as well so it evens out I think.

The Boffs are account wide now. BTW you can do the red/black/white Sarcophagus crew uniforms with the Klingon and the Fed comes with Shenzou comms and Detmer style (but no hair sadly) cybernetic options if you don't want the full helmet.

• duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited February 2019
    -A tartigrade pet? why would it follow you around? it's smarter than you are and the mycelium is more important to it than any warzones will ever visit on your ship or on the ground. (this all assumes the mycelial network isn't all destroyed in a few years from now on discovery. It makes no sense).

Ignoring of course that we've had mycelial abilities in the game since the Discovery lock box and tardigrade pets since the launch of AoD. Per the game's own fiction (nevermind any consideration of DSC), it's an extant element of the STO universe.

Anyway, I was 1000 zen shy of the discounted bundle but ended up getting both boffs, two ships (c-store), one fleet ship (via FSM's from T6 reps), and four combat Tardigrades (to hell with being indignant about combat pets in the c-store remaining per-character, I want my battle buddies!) Each was also discounted and in total this was a massive haul for c-store updates which I wasn't expecting for the anniversary (boffs could use more customization options but coupling them with the uniform unlock is quite the package.)

All in all, good show.
    Post edited by duncanidaho11 on
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • ichaerus1ichaerus1 Member Posts: 986 Arc User
    iamynaught wrote: »
    Now with everyone patting each other on their collective backs & reconsidering buying this pack because of the starter pack discount & the BOFFs being account wide ... which should've been that way in the first place, Cryptic won't even have to dare add anything more to the pack. It is a step in the right direction because as many have stated it should've been that way in the first place. Starve a person then offer them food & become a hero to that same person.

This is what I'm afraid of as well. Players becoming too easily placated by the merest of scraps the rulers of the land deign to throw at us. The only concessions they've given so far are things that should have been there from the start, the BOff's open account wide and the discount for Discovery Starter Pack owners. They have given us NOTHING new, just presented it in a different light and there are now folks bowing in gratitude for the gristle off the bone they got.

The real issue is value, and this pack doesn't have enough. The price needs to be lowered or more high value items added, and in this case that would be T6 ships. At this current price, 2 more ships for Fed & KDF and the pack might hold enough value to carry that 12k Zen price tag.

Might.

This right here. I've seen this pattern from Cryptic before, along w/ other game studios. And I don't reward bad behavior/practices.

And how would we know what are the "over the top accusations," when it seems like even constructive criticism or questioning is modded out/censored/silenced? What's the standard to measure these by? Should Cryptic not be held responsible and questioned for decisions with say, a silent change/swap to a product that they sold previously, in a way that customers feel the rug pulled from under them? And with no dev willing to really pop in on the forums anymore to face the music, or clear the air on all of this, because they'd rather have/read posts that make them feel good...
    edited February 2019
    ichaerus1 wrote: »
    And how would we know what are the "over the top accusations," when it seems like even constructive criticism or questioning is modded out/censored/silenced? What's the standard to measure these by? Should Cryptic not be held responsible and questioned for decisions with say, a silent change/swap to a product that they sold previously, in a way that customers feel the rug pulled from under them? And with no dev willing to really pop in on the forums anymore to face the music, or clear the air on all of this, because they'd rather have/read posts that make them feel good...

*Raises hand*

I've raised constructive criticism recently regarding the direction of the current management team on topics that are both further reaching and more intractable than bundle pricing. I wasn't modded out. Why? Because I wasn't making spurious assertions about dev motivations, trustworthiness, or patterns. Please don't undermine this topic by making false equivalency between "censored accusations" and those of us who try earnestly to have a constructive dialog with the devs and a positive impact on the game (and I specifically mean game, as in the functional entity irrespective of our personal interests.)

They aimed a too high with the bundle pricing here. That was revised after feedback with sales and one price adjustment so far. Nuff said there.

I should also note for the "nothing new" crowd that the argument for change RE. the bundle is based on dividing price by content included. A fix would necessarily be lowing that price for what's available to sell, not conjuring new content from the aether to work up to the original price. That's simply setting an unrealistic expectation (see. the process of game design and the real limitations it works under to develop shippable content) so you can remain unsatisfied regardless of what reasonable steps Cryptic takes in response to constructive feedback.

Again, this is a matter of pricing. So what that the specific items vary from other big bundles so long as the requisite zen is rational to bundle pricing for those items.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • nommo#5819 nommo Member Posts: 1,105 Arc User

1) we don't know if our "vocal protests about those items resulted in Cryptic making a change".

2) "And don't worry about angering me personally." I've felt your reasoning when asking about if the new Upgrading now Binding items is a new feature under the patch notes section, which if it is a feature that's where it should be mentioned, only to get the cute animated jail bars from you. "File a bug report." I will & I suggest all affected by it to do so but that's usually a treadmill as well. Not going to worry about your anger nor wrath from my experience your ego suits this duty.

3)"criminal accusations" is your falsehood. Many of us are questioning the marketing tactics & a holding back then giving what was already planned approach is not criminal lol it is a tried & proven technique. It may not be ethical or consumer friendly, but calling that criminal is over the top itself.

4)"It obviously made a difference here." & that is the question whether it did or not, we'll not know, so your best advice of, "don't like it, don't buy it" is spot on but don't conflate criminal activity with any negative dissent just to erase any valid concerns & questions.

I'm positive we all want to support a game we enjoy playing, but possibly being lied to seems to be the trend these days with gaming companies towards their players/customers & we don't want it with STO. Try to engage with the STO community not just control.

• nommo#5819 nommo Member Posts: 1,105 Arc User
    -A tartigrade pet? why would it follow you around? it's smarter than you are and the mycelium is more important to it than any warzones will ever visit on your ship or on the ground. (this all assumes the mycelial network isn't all destroyed in a few years from now on discovery. It makes no sense).

Ignoring of course that we've had mycelial abilities in the game since the Discovery lock box and tardigrade pets since the launch of AoD. Per the game's own fiction (nevermind any consideration of DSC), it's an extant element of the STO universe.

Anyway, I was 1000 zen shy of the discounted bundle but ended up getting both boffs, two ships (c-store), one fleet ship (via FSM's from T6 reps), and four combat Tardigrades (to hell with being indignant about combat pets in the c-store remaining per-character, I want my battle buddies!) Each was also discounted and in total this was a massive haul for c-store updates which I wasn't expecting for the anniversary (boffs could use more customization options but coupling them with the uniform unlock is quite the package.)

All in all, good show.

:-( You do realize that supposedly Cryptic is going to make that tardigrade combat pet account wide? This circumstance right here is why it is bad to release an unfinished product with plans already conceived with changing it. If Cryptic does follow-through on their word about making the combat pet account wide I hope they allow you a refund.
    edited February 2019
    :-( You do realize that supposedly Cryptic is going to make that tardigrade combat pet account wide? This circumstance right here is why it is bad to release an unfinished product with plans already conceived with changing it. If Cryptic does follow-through on their word about making the combat pet account wide I hope they allow you a refund.

-Supposedly-

Note that the combat Tardigrade in the c-store is working per the mechanics of combat pets in the c-store. Ie. they are per character.

If they change it, great for future characters of mine. But I'm getting my fun in now and I don't have to wait on the prospect of continuing fan feedback to rewrite precedent per this class of items.
    3)"criminal accusations" is your falsehood. Many of us are questioning the marketing tactics & a holding back then giving what was already planned approach is not criminal lol it is a tried & proven technique. It may not be ethical or consumer friendly, but calling that criminal is over the top itself.

Calling a somewhat overpriced bundle of c-store items unethical is over the top (as it directly attributes a disconnect in valuations, something that result from many different factors, to morality per conjecture.) Again, it's just a question of taking the content provided, totaling the price, and applying a discount appropriate per bundle precedent. If there's still a discrepancy, let the math make the argument. You don't need to inflate the imperative through invoking "consumer friendly" principles (as they are far less easily quantified.) That's the best way to establish a continuing case for further updates which can be clearly communicated both to the community team and up through the chain of command to those who make the major business decisions.
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    But I'm getting my fun in now and I don't have to wait on the prospect of continuing fan feedback to rewrite precedent per this class of items.

Did you get one? How tall is it?
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
    where2r1 wrote: »
    But I'm getting my fun in now and I don't have to wait on the prospect of continuing fan feedback to rewrite precedent per this class of items.

It's a twin of the AoD starter pack Tardigrade (only feistier in combat, of course. ;) )

DzY4wvQXgAA-oks.jpg
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,210 Community Moderator
    I'm tagging @nommo#5819 because it's his list that I'm answering, but I'm not singling him out. This info is good for anyone.

1) Uh, yeah we do know. The evidence is seen right there in the changes that were made to the account-wide unlocks and discount for those who had already purchased the Starter Pack after all the protestations.

2) So, you want to discuss moderation? Why? So that we can go round and round and derail the thread? This is why we don't discuss moderation. If you have a problem with me and how I do my job, please, contact Kael. And honestly, that goes for anyone.

3) The terms "shady" and "bait and switch" and "unethical" and other such terms do border on criminal accusations. No one has any evidence to support such accusations, just their own feelings on the matter. All of this falls within the definition of flaming against Cryptic, as the accusations amount to insults against how they do business. The EP was even named in some posts as being guilty of this. You don't like how they market a product? Fine, speak up and/or don't buy. But don't come to this forum and hurl insults and accusations. It's flaming and will be dealt with as such.

4) Again, the evidence that it did is right there. A product was presented. People protested. Changes were made. If you "feel" like something else is/was going on, that's on you, but there is no evidence to support your "feeling" on the matter. All it does is serve to stir up more discontent and negativity with such conspiracy theories.

You want to support the game? Great! But you don't do that by insulting and accusing the devs of being underhanded and lying. You want them to engage more with the community? Great! They actually want to, but how about you be more positive in the way that YOU engage with the community? There are ways of expressing displeasure without being combative and insulting and making unfounded accusations.

At the end of the day, I'm just trying to preserve the peace.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • tousseautousseau Member Posts: 1,484 Arc User
    I opted to not get the Pack... absolutely no interest in the Klingon vessels or Boff. So I just purchased the items that I was interested in (even if I have to buy them for each toon, if I so choose). The ONE item that I would have really wanted though, was the Walker costume... perhaps down the road, it will be made available... Oh well...
    edited February 2019
    irm1963 wrote: »

The Boffs are account wide now. BTW you can do the red/black/white Sarcophagus crew uniforms with the Klingon and the Fed comes with Shenzou comms and Detmer style (but no hair sadly) cybernetic options if you don't want the full helmet.

If you do the individual purchase the boffs do not appear to be account wide according to their c-store description, which is clearly what I was talking about since I said the price was 500 zen (350 with sale price). This is consistent with other c-store boffs that are not in a discount pack so I'm not complaining.

EDIT: just purchased it and the individual is indeed account wide even though the description says otherwise. That makes it a very good deal then as it is the same price as the Borg boff, but includes a unique uniform option unlock and is account wide.
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • badgerpants999badgerpants999 Member Posts: 241 Arc User
    Just want to comment that the Shran DOES have Raider Flanking, and that it's the sexiest little ship I've flown since the Pioneer Class came out! I'd buy the Raider thing but, that thing's FUGLY AS HELL!
    edited February 2019
    where2r1 wrote: »
    It's a twin of the AoD starter pack Tardigrade (only feistier in combat, of course. ;) )

Oh I have to get one...I wanna see how it works with the new Death Spinner Kit Module.
    I have a lot of pets, but not many combat ones.

BTW...thanks for taking the pictures. AAAnnnddd....
    How did you get both pets to show up at the same time?
    Post edited by where2r1 on

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • phoenix841phoenix841 Member Posts: 486 Arc User
    edited February 2019
    3) The terms "shady" and "bait and switch" and "unethical" and other such terms do border on criminal accusations. No one has any evidence to support such accusations, just their own feelings on the matter. All of this falls within the definition of flaming against Cryptic, as the accusations amount to insults against how they do business. The EP was even named in some posts as being guilty of this. You don't like how they market a product? Fine, speak up and/or don't buy. But don't come to this forum and hurl insults and accusations. It's flaming and will be dealt with as such.

At the risk of putting myself in the fire, since I'm usually a fan of this game, and the work the devs perform...

I have used one of those words above in the past.
    What would you say about Cryptic removing the 'Elite Starter Pack', without warning, and replacing it with a similarly named 'Elite Services Starter Pack,' which can either intentionally, or unintentionally lure players into purchasing something they thought was something else? Sure, you might argue people should read the details of what they are purchasing, and I agree, however that doesn't always happen.
    I'm usually not one to be paranoid, or cynic, but on the surface, that has the appearance of less than noble purposes. Especially given that no one from Cryptic has addressed it publicly.
    It quite simply might be that that Elite pack was "underpriced", which I agree it absolutely was. It was a fantastic value, one of the best things Cryptic ever released. If it was, simply say so, and say why they chose that confusing name for the alternate.

If Cryptic actually addressed our concerns about that, there would be less people using those words.

IANAL, but it's obvious customers are dissatisfied.

As for this pack, I'll be waiting to see if Cryptic follows through and makes the combat pet account-wide before I consider purchasing it. I'm glad they've listened to us about this pack... but that other pack?...
    LTS Since Beta (Jan 2010).
    I got my M'Chla unlocked. Still deciding on who gets the Combat Tardigrade and Lethean will get his Discovery Klingon BOFF for his pirate crew. :smile:

• stark2kstark2k Member Posts: 1,467 Arc User
    Since I am having issues buying Zen via ARC, keep getting the message "There was a problem with the credit card." - And yes I had correctly input all info, and yes I have more than enough funds.

If I buy the Cyborg Boff which can only be claimed by one of my characters, and later down the road decide on the bundle - will the boff be account wide? And the bundle be available?

I remember in the past if you purchase something from a bundle, it will lock the bundle from being purchased.
    StarTrekIronMan.jpg
  • stark2kstark2k Member Posts: 1,467 Arc User
    By the way I have last month stipend, that is why I am contemplating just getting the Fed Cyborg Boff for now. Snail Girl as the writer's called her
    StarTrekIronMan.jpg
    edited February 2019
    stark2k wrote: »
    Since I am having issues buying Zen via ARC, keep getting the message "There was a problem with the credit card." - And yes I had correctly input all info, and yes I have more than enough funds.

If I buy the Cyborg Boff which can only be claimed by one of my characters, and later down the road decide on the bundle - will the boff be account wide? And the bundle be available?

I remember in the past if you purchase something from a bundle, it will lock the bundle from being purchased.

As I confirmed a couple posts above you, when I purchased the Boff only this morning, not the pack, she was unlocked for all of my characters, even though it says in the C-Store description that she is not an account unlock.
    eaY7Xxu.png
This discussion has been closed.