test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

new patch encourages to keep playing with "bad" builds?

13»

Comments

• where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    edited February 2019
    There are people who have the "gamer" attitude. They are totally serious about the TFOs (PvE queues) and are constantly pushing to get better, finish faster and strive for the most effective tactics and gear for the content.

They know the ins and outs because they have tested and tried it over and over, in various combination of team mates, with various ships. And continue to play every day to improve. They have been at this game for years (on and off).

Like it or not, they are some of the most knowledgeable players in the game.

All the experienced players want is to give everyone some understanding about the gaming side of things. Give other players some advice specific to STO to put them at a better footing in the missions.

That there is this connection between your character's development and scoring well in a team.
    How to achieve that sweet spot where your character can get through this stuff smoothly and be an asset over all.

Because the game sure doesn't explain it well.

The way this game is set up, with rTFOs and, now, with Personal Endeavors....you are more likely to run into players who have not figured things out inside those TEAM missions.

The ones completely oblivious to the team. Just playing to do their own thing. Not understanding their character and ships. And not ever trying to figure out the objectives behind them....which is the gaming part. Because these "chores" that are listed right on the UI.

And they don't want to. That is not OK.

But those who DO want to learn, should be able to play with experienced players. I do not want to see all of them go off to private channels, again. We already had that happen once and no one learned anything and no one wanted to play with pugs and queues were empty.

Let's try to get everyone off on the right foot now that players are mingling again, please.
    Post edited by where2r1 on
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    where2r1 wrote: »
    There are people who have the "gamer" attitude. They are totally serious about the TFOs (PvE queues) and are constantly pushing to get better, finish faster and strive for the most effective tactics and gear for the content.

They know the ins and outs because they have tested and tried it over and over, in various combination of team mates, with various ships. And continue to play every day to improve. They have been at this game for years (on and off).

Like it or not, they are some of the most knowledgeable players in the game.

All the experienced players want is to give everyone some understanding about the gaming side of things. Give other players some advice specific to STO to put them at a better footing in the missions.

That there is this connection between your character's development and scoring well in a team.
    How to achieve that sweet spot where your character can get through this stuff smoothly and be an asset over all.

Because the game sure doesn't explain it well.

The way this game is set up, with rTFOs and, now, with Personal Endeavors....you are more likely to run into players who have not figured things out inside those TEAM missions.

The ones completely oblivious to the team. Just playing to do their own thing. Not understanding their character and ships. And not ever trying to figure out the objectives behind them....which is the gaming part. Because these "chores" that are listed right on the UI.

And they don't want to. That is not OK.

But those who DO want to learn, should be able to play with experienced players. I do not want to see all of them go off to private channels, again. We already had that happen once and no one learned anything and no one wanted to play with pugs and queues were empty.

Let's try to get everyone off on the right foot now that players are mingling again, please.

A lot of wisdom in this post.

Well said.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited February 2019
    It's part of why I LOVE Endeavors! Hearing someone go "There's a V-rex in the GAME?!?!?!" It's a learning opportunity for the community. It's not often something in this game encourages people to actively LOOK in dark corners for things.

So it's not that the game encourages bad builds, more that it encourages people who haven't tested their skills to do things they wouldn't normally do.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    edited February 2019
    Yes, well said people.

There are ways to build good builds on a budget, using mission rewards and free ships. Especially if one chooses to play normal difficulty like I do. Which is why I don't go beyond Advanced TFOs when I do TFOs. I don't want to be a hindrance to the more experienced and better players.

I don't have much money to spend since we live on a pension and SS, but I do once in a blue moon. I probably won't ever get 'space rich', but I manage. Elite difficulty is just not for me. I come on the game to have fun and do content sometimes and/or to craft or play about in the patrols and DSEs, not to see how difficult I can make things for myself. Which is why I also play my other games on easy difficulty.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • lapprenticellapprenticel Member Posts: 254 Arc User
    Why should games require effort? If you play for fun then you want it to be casual - you do not want it to be serious work. As for effort, define effort. I've looked up stuff on the Wiki, I've asked a few questions ingame or here, and you tend to either not get an answer, something that isn't all that useful, or worse still contradictory. Take for instance the issue of tac consoles. In theory the maximum number of your chosen energy type should maximise your damage, but does it? I recently saw it asserted that the game's maths was broken and that only the first console gives the correct benefit - all others gave lesser amounts. As such it's conceivable that mixing in different kinds of consoles would boost damage. True, false, I have no idea and no way of testing out the assertion. I know for a fact that STO gives garbage info - just compare weapon info in various locations. Your dps on planet, in space, and in a mission will all be different! Add in other challenges that are poorly explained and a modicum of 'laziness' can be completely justified. Add in personal preferences - a preference for role playing, a desire to avoid RSI, or other such reasons, and you have not only supposed laziness, but the potential for radically different goals.

Sorry if this comes off as somewhat irked, but I am. It seems like if your build isn't up to par for elite, or some of the ridiculously hard advanced missions then it's deemed bad. However if you inquire as to what the best weapons are - so as to invest in them, you learn it's mostly much of a muchness and not all that better than what you naturally equip. Factor in people claiming that white Mk XII weapons are easily sufficient for advanced missions, and yet vastly superior weapons still aren't powerful enough, and it seems like either there's a lot of trolling around, or builds aren't based on equipment but other factors which are hidden, badly explained, or otherwise outside the realm of regular play. Okay I probably ought to wrap this up before I go full rant and instead get back to something productive like grinding batteries for my fleet.

coldnapalm wrote: »
    I'm sorry...but there is a difference between I don't wanna DPS chase and play storymode in my canon setup ship and I don't want to bother even putting in the absolutely tiny amount of effort this game needs so I want the devs to change this game to mu whims. When they don't whine to make the game easier than it is...I have no issue with people who want to play the way they want. When they don't want to start excluding people who are better than them because it makes them feelsbad I don't care if they play the way they want. The git gud mostly in this forum at this time is reserved for players who want to do bad things to this game because they can't be bothered to put in the TINY amount of effort that this game needs. It wasn't always the case...but for now, the git gud for the most part is reserved for those players.

So your answer continues to be 'if you do not expend the amount of effort I think you should, you are doing it wrong.'

OK.

That does not make shaming others for not clicking on pixels the way you want them to any less repugnant to me. :)

Yes, this is a game. Games require EFFORT. If you don't want to put ANY effort in, go watch TV...or youtube or whatever. I play EVERY other game than this one on easy. I can do elite in this game without much issues. The HARDEST mode in this game doesn't compare to the EASIEST mode in other games. Hell, the new Spiderman game, I died like 50 times during the TUTORIAL on EASY mode. No really...this game is stupid easy. If you seriously do not want to put in the absolutely TINY amount of effort normal on this game takes...yeah...just walk away from games. Yes if you are gonna be THAT LAZY I am gonna shame you.

• peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited February 2019
    Why should games require effort? If you play for fun then you want it to be casual - you do not want it to be serious work. As for effort, define effort. I've looked up stuff on the Wiki, I've asked a few questions ingame or here, and you tend to either not get an answer, something that isn't all that useful, or worse still contradictory. Take for instance the issue of tac consoles. In theory the maximum number of your chosen energy type should maximise your damage, but does it? I recently saw it asserted that the game's maths was broken and that only the first console gives the correct benefit - all others gave lesser amounts. As such it's conceivable that mixing in different kinds of consoles would boost damage. True, false, I have no idea and no way of testing out the assertion. I know for a fact that STO gives garbage info - just compare weapon info in various locations. Your dps on planet, in space, and in a mission will all be different! Add in other challenges that are poorly explained and a modicum of 'laziness' can be completely justified. Add in personal preferences - a preference for role playing, a desire to avoid RSI, or other such reasons, and you have not only supposed laziness, but the potential for radically different goals.

Sorry if this comes off as somewhat irked, but I am. It seems like if your build isn't up to par for elite, or some of the ridiculously hard advanced missions then it's deemed bad. However if you inquire as to what the best weapons are - so as to invest in them, you learn it's mostly much of a muchness and not all that better than what you naturally equip. Factor in people claiming that white Mk XII weapons are easily sufficient for advanced missions, and yet vastly superior weapons still aren't powerful enough, and it seems like either there's a lot of trolling around, or builds aren't based on equipment but other factors which are hidden, badly explained, or otherwise outside the realm of regular play. Okay I probably ought to wrap this up before I go full rant and instead get back to something productive like grinding batteries for my fleet.

I'm sorry...but there is a difference between I don't wanna DPS chase and play storymode in my canon setup ship and I don't want to bother even putting in the absolutely tiny amount of effort this game needs so I want the devs to change this game to mu whims. When they don't whine to make the game easier than it is...I have no issue with people who want to play the way they want. When they don't want to start excluding people who are better than them because it makes them feelsbad I don't care if they play the way they want. The git gud mostly in this forum at this time is reserved for players who want to do bad things to this game because they can't be bothered to put in the TINY amount of effort that this game needs. It wasn't always the case...but for now, the git gud for the most part is reserved for those players.

So your answer continues to be 'if you do not expend the amount of effort I think you should, you are doing it wrong.'

OK.

That does not make shaming others for not clicking on pixels the way you want them to any less repugnant to me. :)

Yes, this is a game. Games require EFFORT. If you don't want to put ANY effort in, go watch TV...or youtube or whatever. I play EVERY other game than this one on easy. I can do elite in this game without much issues. The HARDEST mode in this game doesn't compare to the EASIEST mode in other games. Hell, the new Spiderman game, I died like 50 times during the TUTORIAL on EASY mode. No really...this game is stupid easy. If you seriously do not want to put in the absolutely TINY amount of effort normal on this game takes...yeah...just walk away from games. Yes if you are gonna be THAT LAZY I am gonna shame you.

Games do not require effort in order to play them but do so if you expect to become good at playing them. Think thats what napalm ment and he is right that compared to other games STO does not require much at that.

It is correct that the game does not teach you to become good at it, it never did.

Fortunately the community makes up for I it to an extend that I could only have dreamed of when I started back in 2012. All info as to what can be used to min/max is handled to you on third party sites like the STO league homepage. We also have channels in game teaching what we know.

As far as the “play for fun” mentality is concerned this one is highly subjective as the ideals here differ greatly from person to person.

As rule of the sum pick the right content in game at the right difficulty setting. Get help from friends to team up (we play an mmoprg) and you should have at whatever progress level you have achieved so far. :)
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
    edited February 2019
    echatty wrote: »
    Yes, well said people.

There are ways to build good builds on a budget, using mission rewards and free ships. Especially if one chooses to play normal difficulty like I do. Which is why I don't go beyond Advanced TFOs when I do TFOs. I don't want to be a hindrance to the more experienced and better players.

I don't have much money to spend since we live on a pension and SS, but I do once in a blue moon. I probably won't ever get 'space rich', but I manage. Elite difficulty is just not for me. I come on the game to have fun and do content sometimes and/or to craft or play about in the patrols and DSEs, not to see how difficult I can make things for myself. Which is why I also play my other games on easy difficulty.

Please never feel bad over this, ok? It’s not needed. Basically nobody plays space elite maps as the effort reward ratio is ways off. One or two maps manage to have some charm here as they either offer interesting team interaction or an acceptable challenge as far as solo actions are concerned. Rest is just dull.

Ground is quite a different beast. Most of the maps are good, fun to play and reward well. Fortunately ground “builds” are much cheaper as there are only few items to cover. It’s much or of a “just take what you like” way of life. The way I see it, if u manage ground advanced you likely manage ground elites as well (they are only mildly harder).

If you ever feel like PvE with others give me a shout in game. My fleet mates and friends never view anybody as some sort of hindrance no matter how good or bad he things he is. :)
    animated.gif
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    Thanks. I don't really feel bad about the way I choose to play. I'm the type of person who likes to stay in the background most of the time IRL and I'm fine with that. I've always been a 'loner' I guess, never complaining and going off to myself when I feel bad. Story from childhood-I had gone home from school for lunch, as always (yes, way back then we could do that), but instead of going back to school I went upstairs to bed cause I didn't feel good. Mom didn't know that and found me later running an extremely high fever. Turns out I had a really bad kidney infection that put me in the hospital for a week.

So I'm still that way even half a century later. I keep to myself and play by myself, with the exception of a really good UK friend who sometimes asks me to team with her when she has to run content that she finds extremely annoying.

But thank you for the offer. I may take you up on it one day. Just cause I like to hide in dark corners doesn't mean I don't like to do team stuff once in awhile. And the Endeavors do have some things on offer I don't mind trying.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
    edited February 2019
    Thanks. I don't really feel bad about the way I choose to play. I'm the type of person who likes to stay in the background most of the time IRL and I'm fine with that. I've always been a 'loner' I guess, never complaining and going off to myself when I feel bad. Story from childhood-I had gone home from school for lunch, as always (yes, way back then we could do that), but instead of going back to school I went upstairs to bed cause I didn't feel good. Mom didn't know that and found me later running an extremely high fever. Turns out I had a really bad kidney infection that put me in the hospital for a week.

So I'm still that way even half a century later. I keep to myself and play by myself, with the exception of a really good UK friend who sometimes asks me to team with her when she has to run content that she finds extremely annoying.

But thank you for the offer. I may take you up on it one day. Just cause I like to hide in dark corners doesn't mean I don't like to do team stuff once in awhile. And the Endeavors do have some things on offer I don't mind trying.

I understand and respect that. :)

Judging from the posts you make around here I just often feel that teams and fleets you are in should considering themselves to be lucky to have you aboard.

If you happen to use the same name in game as in forums I just throw you and invite to the chats of our fleets and friends. Some of the forum guys from around here are in it as well. Of course you have zero obligations to participate in anything but can whenever you want to.
    animated.gif
  • trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User

As far as best weapons go. This depends on who you ask. Most will say AP for the inherent Crit they have, thus making it easier to acquire the [Pen] modifier from crafting. All other energy types have [Proc] added into the list of mods, thus making it more difficult to get the [Pen] mod. But this is going to vary by person, playstyle, and in some causes character. I have one character setup to run Polaron, another for Tetryon.

As for the damage being different in different locations. That's the system itself. If you're looking at space weapon on the ground, it's not going to be using the right stats. To get the most accurate look at these, if you're on the ground, beam up to the space map of the area. This counts as a "combat map" and thus has the best look at the stats. Sector space isn't a combat map, thus, the it'll show different stats. This is simple to understand, as this is also based of power level. So for space weapons, a "combat map" like beaming up form DS9 or ESD to the map right outside of it, gives you a map where your power levels are the same as they would be in a TFO.

Now, as to the Mk XII being good enough for advanced. It's true that it is. My tetryon equipped char I mentioned is still working on gear. Most of it is Mk XII VR, with some rep pieces that are Mk XIII VR, mainly a couple consoles, deflector, impulse, warp core, and shields. I've been doing advanced on this one, to acquire the elite marks needed to acquire the gear I'm after. I've found it best here, to seat at most 4 tac consoles for my energy weapons, depending on ship here, some don't have more than 3 tac slots. This is to leave room for universal consoles. These you want to make sure are dedicated to the energy type you're using, to get the biggest boost. The Directed Energy consoles are decent, but the bonus you get is way short of the specific energy type ones. Also, you'll want to have a look through the consoles you get as episodes, they'll help cover things other consoles don't.

As far as those that say, "If you aren't setup for on par for elite, you're build is bad." Just overlook them, they generally haven't changed their build in a long while. As far as being useful in advanced, at first all builds aren't. With some tweaking it can be. Even if all you have in Mk XII VR gear. From there is just a matter of finding where you fit in the Advanced to be the most useful. I can say this, cause I do some off the wall builds. Like, having a ground stealth build that's only useful in 1v1 PvP. There isn't anywhere else in the game I can use that build.

As for the builds themselves. There isn't a single build that uses just gear. All builds use that plus, skill tree, traits, specializations, boffs, doffs, and ship. The ship being the smallest part of that, as any build can be adjusted to work effectively with any ship. So the problem, may not be gear related at all. It may be in one of the other parts that are mixed in with it. This is one of the problems one runs into, when a game uses more than just your gear in a build. Most games work off the stat/gear style. Here, we have and easy 5 extra systems that go into that as well.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • kragtastkragtast Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited February 2019
    Circular discussion leading us nowhere. Can we just say endeavours have nothing to do with bad builds and not to make assumptions about why players choose their playstyles? Otherwise this thread will continue going absolutely nowhere for who knows how many more pages.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User

I totally understand all this.. and I am not trying to pile on or add any pressure, but I would like to share a similar experience with you.

In life overall, I don't relate that well to what you said, and I admit it. I am a social person, I like to talk to everyone in a room.. I have always been that way. But online, I tend to be the exact opposite, I usually keep to myself and the only reason I even started playing Star Trek Online was because it could be played pretty much entirely solo. Pretty much from day 1 I have kept to myself, I was formerly in a very large fleet that I was in for years and I never once spoke to anyone. I posted on forums, but in game, I never talked to anyone.

I didn't really start talking to people until I found the right group of people to talk with. Once I started playing with Connor and a couple others, I found that I wanted to join them because I actually liked the way they approached the game. You could be the best of the best, or totally new and lost.. they don't care. You can struggle in a mission, heck.. you can cause the mission to fail and no one ever gets upset, no one judges just offers to help. It's never about anything other then having fun as a group.

If you ever feel up to socializing with people a little more, I would like to heartily endorse the recommendation from @peterconnorfirst to join us in our OCD Chat. It's a great no pressure place and it's only ever been about having fun. It's a very inclusive environment and one that made me actually want to play with people. I can honestly say that had I not joined O.C.D. I would not still be playing this game.

Again, if it's not for you.. understood and no hard feelings. But if you ever feel the need to have some fun with a good group of people, we would love to fly with you anytime. :smile:
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
    kragtast wrote: »
    Circular discussion leading us nowhere. Can we just say endeavours have nothing to do with bad builds and not to make assumptions about why players choose their playstyles? Otherwise this thread will continue going absolutely nowhere for who knows how many more pages.

What, you don't enjoy a good, old fashion square dance?
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • majorprankstermajorprankster Member Posts: 25 Arc User

So, you think you are justified in being rude and disgusting to other players due to your life outlook.

Like other posters in this thread I keep to myself, this is a shining example of why I do so in MMOs unless playing with RL friends.

If you are so intent on dictating playstyles to others and shaming them over it, then why would any reasonable person want to interact with someone that has such an aggressive and negative attitude?

I don't.

I am just glad this game and even this thread show such negative and rude attitudes to be the execption here rather than the norm.

The whole point of Star Trek has been to explore the human condition in an effort to show people how much we are all really the same.
    Just humans trying to enjoy our time on this spinning rock.
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,303 Community Moderator
    This thread has just turned into people sniping one another. "Git gud" or don't. Your fun is not wrong. And the OP is incorrect. The Personal Endeavors patch doesn't encourage players to play "bad," it just encourages them to play. /Thread
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
This discussion has been closed.