test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Unrestricted Talior......... again

Comments

• casualstocasualsto Member Posts: 672 Arc User
    I think expecting for the customizable non-exclusive visual gear to be available unrestricted is a decent expectation.

Also, I think moderation, just like anything else, can be discussed.

Maybe people should have an explanation on the topic close/move, just to make sure that in the future, they're not nagging and egging because they didn't understand why certain topics were addressed in a certain way.

This seems to be a concern for the future. STO is in good hands at the moment, at least in the bug-fixing territory, so I remain confident in their fixing/polishing abilities.

I would recommend the OP to start a poll, so that we'd have a basic view on how the community views this change and how important it is to them.
  • captainwellscaptainwells Member Posts: 718 Arc User
    edited February 2019
    I just want BOFFs to be able to wear all the same outfits as Captains, and a unified color palette for all costume pieces across all Factions, where the colors actually match between top and bottom pieces.

Personally, one change alone would satisfy me and that would be for all of your npc crewmen to be wearing the same uniform style that you had selected for your main character (and likely primary away team members/bridge officers too). It is ridiculous for the default Odyssey uniform to always be the case, if you've chosen another option from the extensive list of possible Federation costumes then your entire ships crew should shift to that style!
  • corelogikcorelogik Member Posts: 1,039 Arc User
    valoreah wrote: »
    I just want BOFFs to be able to wear all the same outfits as Captains, and a unified color palette for all costume pieces across all Factions, where the colors actually match between top and bottom pieces.

^ This would be a satisfactory compromise to me. Super annoying our Captains can wear outfits that our BOFFS cannot.

Especially those of us that run an entirely Ferengi crew. I cannot up vote this enough.
    "Go play with your DPS in the corner, I don't care how big it is." ~ Me
    "There... are... four... lights!" ~Jean Luc Picard
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,238 Community Moderator
    I can tell you right now that unrestricting everything isn't going to happen, especially with some of the Reputation Armors due to clipping issues. Yes, I know some folks don't mind, but others will, because honestly, clipping costumes don't look good and it reflects poorly on the quality of the game.* Those that don't like it will call for "fixes". "Fixes" for costume pieces that were never designed to go together.

Now, allowing BOFFs to wear all costumes that Captains can wear shouldn't be as big of an issue. Presumably it's just a permissions toggle. If it's more than that, then I apologise for my presumption, but in my opinion, those restrictions should never have been in place to begin with. As with the example above, it is quite frustrating to not be able to outfit your Ferengi crew in Ferengi outfits simply because BOFFs cannot wear Off-Duty costumes.

The color palette issue has been just as big of an nuisance as the costume restrictions. Locking Factions out of certain color options is just disappointing. And the fact that those color restrictions carry over to cross faction costumes which are capable of using those colors is even more frustrating. I'm glad that more recent costumes have been loosening up on this and including a larger color palette, but it would be great it the costume artists would take the time to go back and apply it to older costumes as well. Allowing use of RGB values for color choice would be the greatest boon and ideal choice in my opinion, but I'd be happy just to get any kind of universal color palette with more color choices for all.

And as far as the costume textures go (matte, glossy, metallic, etc.), it would be great if those were choices and not baked in to the costume pieces. It's impossible to match colors in some cases with this going on, especially between top and bottom costume pieces. My Cardassian uniform says hi.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    I can tell you right now that unrestricting everything isn't going to happen, especially with some of the Reputation Armors due to clipping issues. Yes, I know some folks don't mind, but others will, because honestly, clipping costumes don't look good and it reflects poorly on the quality of the game.* Those that don't like it will call for "fixes". "Fixes" for costume pieces that were never designed to go together.
    As possible combinations grow exponentially with every added piece, it's literally impossible for every combination to be designed to go together. But a lot of things that weren't designed to go together, still do go together anyway. A game can either allow players to exercise their own creativity at their own responsibilty (and respond to complaints with the obvious: "if a combination of X and Y doesn't look good to you, then don't combine them"), or restrict everyone to some comparatively small subset of confirmed "safe" (=boring) options. I know which one I prefer.

As I said, Champions lets people combine anything. I'm not active on their forums so I don't know if people there call for "fixes" or what the dev response is, if any, but removing the ability to combine them has clearly not been in the books.

In my opinion, restricting customization reflects poorly on the quality of the game.
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,820 Arc User
    I just want my Starfleet Romulans to be able to use the boatload of Starfleet uniforms I've bought. Still.

But they aren't Starfleet officers....I agree with what baddmoonrizin says....but not just letting ever character activate every possible costume that is available on your account.
  • ladyinferno2010ladyinferno2010 Member Posts: 61 Arc User
    lianthelia wrote: »
    I just want my Starfleet Romulans to be able to use the boatload of Starfleet uniforms I've bought. Still.

But they aren't Starfleet officers....I agree with what baddmoonrizin says....but not just letting ever character activate every possible costume that is available on your account.

Don't care, they'll give me their ships but won't give me their threads.
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,501 Arc User
    lianthelia wrote: »

If they're allowed to command Starfleet crew, they ought to be allowed to wear a Starfleet uniform while they are on loan to my ship.

And canon doesn't apply when Starfleet officers can wear Mirror, Vulcan, Borg (7of9), Betazed, etc. uniforms and Federation uniforms with "incorrect" colors.

Just give us freedom. FREEDOM! (waves sword)

• angarus1angarus1 Member Posts: 684 Arc User
    Removing some of the restrictions in the tailor would make in-game cosplaying so much easier.
  • xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    casualsto wrote: »

Maybe people should have an explanation on the topic close/move, just to make sure that in the future, they're not nagging and egging because they didn't understand why certain topics were addressed in a certain way.

Generally speaking: no, forum rules. Just as a heads up.
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • jamieblanchardjamieblanchard Member Posts: 556 Arc User
    angarus1 wrote: »
    Removing some of the restrictions in the tailor would make in-game cosplaying so much easier.

Greatly agreed. I have a lot of cosplay/outfit ideas I would love to pursue for many characters and their bridge crews.

Resident TOS, G.I. Joe, Transformers and hair metal fangirl.

And knowing is half the battle!

21 'til I die!
  • jozen#9312 jozen Member Posts: 102 Arc User
    Colours are my biggest gripe. Especially linked colour changes on BOFFs, like the entire Terran set changes if you change one piece
  • alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 2,412 Arc User
    Not to divert from the topic, which I'm fully on board for, but Reman females, a C-Store unlock species, don't even get to have legs on most costumes, or upper bodies on some costumes. What's the purpose of paid and event uniforms on a pay-for species that remains bugged to this day, and probably is an easy fix since Reman (standard) legs do exist (original Reman isn't bugged) and Reman female upper body does exist too.
    Y945Yzx.jpg
    Devs: Provide the option to Turn OFF full screen flashes from enemy ship explosions
    · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
    «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
    ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿
  • disqord#9557 disqord Member Posts: 567 Arc User

Now, allowing BOFFs to wear all costumes that Captains can wear shouldn't be as big of an issue. Presumably it's just a permissions toggle. If it's more than that, then I apologise for my presumption, but in my opinion, those restrictions should never have been in place to begin with. As with the example above, it is quite frustrating to not be able to outfit your Ferengi crew in Ferengi outfits simply because BOFFs cannot wear Off-Duty costumes.

The color palette issue has been just as big of an nuisance as the costume restrictions. Locking Factions out of certain color options is just disappointing. And the fact that those color restrictions carry over to cross faction costumes which are capable of using those colors is even more frustrating. I'm glad that more recent costumes have been loosening up on this and including a larger color palette, but it would be great it the costume artists would take the time to go back and apply it to older costumes as well. Allowing use of RGB values for color choice would be the greatest boon and ideal choice in my opinion, but I'd be happy just to get any kind of universal color palette with more color choices for all.

And as far as the costume textures go (matte, glossy, metallic, etc.), it would be great if those were choices and not baked in to the costume pieces. It's impossible to match colors in some cases with this going on, especially between top and bottom costume pieces. My Cardassian uniform says hi.

See, this WOULD be a valid argument, if there weren't already so many ways to break the tailor in the first place. Let me tell you, whenever I get besieged by trolls on Drozana, I see exactly the kind of thing you are worried about happening in the future. Shirts and pants clipping, body proportions taken to their absolute limits, pretty much everything that COULD be broken IS broken. The idea that we shouldn't allow greater tailor customisation because people could create bad outfits is a non-argument because that ALREADY happens within the rules we have now.

And before anyone says it, wearing something 'appropriate' got thrown out the window the first second they decided Orions should be a playable species. Then of course there's the whole slew of crop-tops, shirtless Cardassians, Terran Uniforms, even a few swimsuit tops that are available off-duty. You absolutely cannot argue that we shouldn't remove the restrictions because there are just so many examples of things that already aren't!
  • thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    casualsto wrote: »

Give that a shot and let me know how it goes for you!

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    edited February 2019
    I would like to do two things right now, but can't due to the overly restrictive tailor:

1) Create a variation of the Disco uniform that does not have the huge collar and excessive amount of deltas on the sides by mixing the Disco Terran shirt and pants with the Disco Fed badge and boots. Can't be done because the Disco Terran shirt can only use the Disco Terran badge, all others are blocked.

2) Use the Disco Terran badge with the Enterprise, TOS, and Odyssey Terran uniforms. Can't be done because the Disco Terran badge is only available when using the Disco Terran shirt.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • tousseautousseau Member Posts: 1,484 Arc User
    THIS ^^^
  • undedavengerundedavenger Member Posts: 179 Arc User
    I'm sorry, but the clipping argument is foolish and invalid. If they want to clip, let them clip. Make it clear that adjustments will not be made for clipping costume parts and leave it at that. No need to fix anything.
    Nothing breaks the tension better than a tankard of warnog - except maybe a good brawl...
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,238 Community Moderator
    It is neither foolish nor invalid. Your claim is. Having a standard of quality for the game's look is quite valid. Poor quality tends to drive customers away. It's funny how players here will rage and demand over the quality of other things in-game, but on this it's ok to let it slide. :unamused:
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    It is neither foolish nor invalid. Your claim is. Having a standard of quality for the game's look is quite valid. Poor quality tends to drive customers away. It's funny how players here will rage and demand over the quality of other things in-game, but on this it's ok to let it slide. :unamused:
    The proper standard of quality for player customization is the player's own. Subverting the players' choice IS the poor quality here.
  • trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
    I'm sorry, but the clipping argument is foolish and invalid. If they want to clip, let them clip. Make it clear that adjustments will not be made for clipping costume parts and leave it at that. No need to fix anything.

I'd agree, but some of the clipping does need to be fixed. For instance the formal belt clipping with just a pair of pants, or the mercenary bandoleer clipping with a chest armor piece. OR the Nol Ennis vest that the Terran TOS Mirror top clips through. Which I would assume is just the layering of the pieces. These are especially more pronounced on the female model. For instance the Talaxian skirts and the formal belt clip.

Some clipping is expected. Like wearing Mudd's outfit and the Jem'hadar or competitive hip pieces. This kind of clipping one just has to live with. Because there's just isn't much of a way to prevent it.

I also understand it's likely never going to happen. So for me, this is more of a wish list item.

Mm5NeXy.gif
  • angarus1angarus1 Member Posts: 684 Arc User
    Also, the new tall Terran boots clip with just about everything, even with the current tailor restrictions.
  • starshine#7408 starshine Member Posts: 127 Arc User
    I'd just really like everyone serving a faction to have access to it's uniform.
    Starfleet officers serving a Romulan captain should have access to the Romulan uniforms. Atleast the ROM-Fed ones and etc.
    under Dominion Captains too.

Especially that Android
    TOS>LDS>DSC>VOY>DS9>PRO>ENT>TNG>PIC

Bring the Enterprise XCV-330 to STO
    I would like to do two things right now, but can't due to the overly restrictive tailor:

1) Create a variation of the Disco uniform that does not have the huge collar and excessive amount of deltas on the sides by mixing the Disco Terran shirt and pants with the Disco Fed badge and boots. Can't be done because the Disco Terran shirt can only use the Disco Terran badge, all others are blocked.

2) Use the Disco Terran badge with the Enterprise, TOS, and Odyssey Terran uniforms. Can't be done because the Disco Terran badge is only available when using the Disco Terran shirt.

Yeah....one of the things I want to see worked on is badges...I mean for example off duty uniforms...there are plenty of examples where officers wear badges on their plain clothes. Really want to see badges more open to things.
    I'd just really like everyone serving a faction to have access to it's uniform.
    Starfleet officers serving a Romulan captain should have access to the Romulan uniforms. Atleast the ROM-Fed ones and etc.
    under Dominion Captains too.

Especially that Android

Kurn served on the Enterprise and still wore a Klingon Uniform. Riker served on a Klingon ship and still wore his Starfleet Uniform. A Romulan operated the cloak for a bit on the Defiant and she wore her Romulan uniform.
  • mooncrystalpowermooncrystalpower Member Posts: 126 Arc User
    In the name of the Moon, I fully support the motion for unrestricting the tailor!! I love to make outfits, and unrestricting the tailor (even if it's still Faction-specific) will go a LONG way towards Space (or technically ground?) Barbie, quality of life and overall enjoyment!! I still want my Formal Necklace for use with some of my outfits, how hard can THAT be?! And mix n' match armor pieces will be fun and unique!

~-~º(^v^)ºv~-~
    l6aD2g7.gif
    I am the one, the ORIGINAL/Official Sailor Moon of STO! ~-~º(^v~)ºv~-~
  • jenicazarinajenicazarina Member Posts: 78 Arc User
    On a tailor-related tangent... does anyone else have 260+ outfits, and seen the glitch that happens?

Apparently there is an unmentioned cap that limits you to have 260 outfits, and if you go over the limit makes your tailor do wonky things to the first outfits that you created.

First of all, why is there a limit?
    Second, why don't they mention the limit anywhere?
    Third, why is it possible to go over the limit?

Easy fix: remove the limit cap...please? Some of us like building ships, some of us like making outfits!
    Resistance is never futile!

800S3a8.jpg
  • messicrafter#6700 messicrafter Member Posts: 49 Arc User
    edited February 2019
    I'd like at least to see the color pallettes unifed, and all cross-faction Boffs able to access the uniforms of the faction they are assigned to.
    enjin-1234688-19630790-gray.png
    =/\= Member of Star trek Roleplayers and Former Foundry Author in training. =/\=
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Try to get color consistency between Romulans and Human Boffs on the same Away Team wearing the Seven of Nine Outfit.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
This discussion has been closed.