test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Dial back the enemy torpedo damage!

1235»

Comments

• cylus566cylus566 Member Posts: 84 Arc User
    I have found if you are an engineer you want to stack defense and some dps but if you stack too much you lose tanking ability, same for tactical, if I stack too much defense i still get the TRIBBLE blown out of my ship, because even though it helps some, I am not a tank class so the defense consoles will not give me what it will give you.

for example both you and I being engineer and tactical would not have the same perks that a science officer would have, and I found they are something of a middle of the road class, where they can do both dps and defense, and science skills are far more effective for them then you or I.
  • pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,165 Arc User
    cylus566 wrote: »
    HMM as an engineer you are a natural tank, are you stacking dps? or defenses?
    Both, I had over 100k hull at over 60% resistance which spikes past 70%. A few of my traits are for tanking not DPS which is why I am so puzzled by my damage output, it doesn't seem to make sense to me. I suspect its the kinetic bug the same as the NPC's sometimes have.

• feliseanfelisean Member Posts: 688 Arc User
    It's not a great idea to stack skills or too many skills outside you're own class, so if you are a tank stacking too much dps is probably not a good thing.

Same goes for tactical, I am tactical although i see some improvement in survival i lose alot of dps, and the protection does not work as well for me as it would an engineer.

the build has nothing to do with the profession. it just depend on the type of build you want to use on how your skilltree/boff layout will look like. in general its better to use a tac ultimate skilltree ;)
  • darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,698 Community Moderator
    edited February 2019
    pottsey5g wrote: »
    Both, I had over 100k hull at over 60% resistance which spikes past 70%. A few of my traits are for tanking not DPS which is why I am so puzzled by my damage output, it doesn't seem to make sense to me. I suspect its the kinetic bug the same as the NPC's sometimes have.

can you shoot over your list of traits and such when you get time. personal space, starship traits, and reputation traits are what I'm after. Add skills to that list as well along with your specs such as intel and such. I know I'm probably sounding nit picky but I want to eliminate as much as possible from this equation.
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
    pottsey5g wrote: »

can you shoot over your list of traits and such when you get time. personal space, starship traits, and reputation traits are what I'm after. Add skills to that list as well along with your specs such as intel and such. I know I'm probably sounding nit picky but I want to eliminate as much as possible from this equation.
    Not nit picky all perfectly reasonable and felisean has offered to meet up in game to help me try and recreate. We are working off the basis that other players are boosting my base damage without my knowledge.

I have changed a few traits since the combatlog was done but I can recreate with 95% accuracy. It might not be till Sunday.
  • casualstocasualsto Member Posts: 672 Arc User
    It's not a great idea to stack skills or too many skills outside you're own class, so if you are a tank stacking too much dps is probably not a good thing.

Same goes for tactical, I am tactical although i see some improvement in survival i lose alot of dps, and the protection does not work as well for me as it would an engineer.

It's more of a goldilocks type of balance. Tanks need DPS to maintain the threat, so becoming a stupid turtle renders you useless. As a tactical, if you have minimal survivability, you'll do 107k dps instead of 102k dps, but you'll die too fast for someone to even heal you.

Protection works well if done well. DPS is mandatory, since if you're the last guy firing, you will die and you will fail the queue.
  • ussvaliant#6064 ussvaliant Member Posts: 1,006 Arc User
    edited February 2019
    Well just did Borg Disconnected and saw a difference between Stats/Defences showing 28% kinetic resistance and then equipping Epic MK XV Temporally Shielded data core 50% physical 33.4% kinetic resistance and a Ultra Rare Mk XiV Neutromium Alloy 23.8% all damage resistance boosting my resistance to 47.8%, that difference was there was absolutely none checking log after dying still being hit for over 32k per plasma torpedo which is the same damage being taken without those consoles.
    maR4zDV.jpg

Hello rubber banding my old friend, time to bounce around the battlezone again, where are all my bug reports going?, out of love with this game I am falling, As Cryptic fail to acknowledge a problem exists, Shakes an angry fist, And from Support all I'm hearing are the sounds of silence.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    so you're saying you think the bug was that your resists were being ignored? Was this normal or advanced?

I did a run today of Disco in my Jem'Hadar dread where I soloed a side without dying and managed to prevent all the Cooperative ships from getting re-assimilated. But that was normal and I don't think it would have gone as well on Advanced.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • ussvaliant#6064 ussvaliant Member Posts: 1,006 Arc User
    so you're saying you think the bug was that your resists were being ignored? Was this normal or advanced?

I did a run today of Disco in my Jem'Hadar dread where I soloed a side without dying and managed to prevent all the Cooperative ships from getting re-assimilated. But that was normal and I don't think it would have gone as well on Advanced.

It was advanced and there was no noticeable difference in my ship being able to tank torpedo hits or the damage from them being reduced.
    maR4zDV.jpg

Hello rubber banding my old friend, time to bounce around the battlezone again, where are all my bug reports going?, out of love with this game I am falling, As Cryptic fail to acknowledge a problem exists, Shakes an angry fist, And from Support all I'm hearing are the sounds of silence.
    Thanks to felisean and others from his fleet we managed to recreate the High Yield torpedo shots. There are a number of ways to do it like stacked up Coordination Protocols, Focused Assault and to a lessor extent Focused Frenzy from other players will cause a split second spike of base damage of over 100k. Which explains why I only spotted the damage in some runs.

@darkbladejk I can still post my traits if you want to look into this some more but I happy to put it down to me being unware of just how much others players can boost each others damage. I did not know another player could boost my base damage past 100k before criticals.
  • jagdtier44jagdtier44 Member Posts: 376 Arc User
    Hive Onslaught on NORMAL

ORZYzvV.png

I figure if I increase my resists by another 10% I should totally be able to tank that on my 7,000 forward shields.. :|
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,276 Arc User
    edited February 2019
    both plasma lances and energy bolts are supposed to be one-hit-kill weapons, even on normal - those numbers are correct​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    both plasma lances and energy bolts are supposed to be one-hit-kill weapons, even on normal - those numbers are correct​​

Is there a way to avoid being targeted by those weapons in particular?
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,301 Arc User
    where2r1 wrote: »

In that TFO, stay within 5Km of the Borg Queen or at least between the two unimatrix ships.
    Otherwise it is targeting the torpedoes with CSV, BFAW, point defense, plasma console etc.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
    questerius wrote: »

In that TFO, stay within 5Km of the Borg Queen or at least between the two unimatrix ships.
    Otherwise it is targeting the torpedoes with CSV, BFAW, point defense, plasma console etc.

TBR works well for these torps.

But I do know where the OP is coming from. I've seen then hit bare hull for 70K-ish damage. Just plink there goes 2/3's of my health. Not that it really bother me, as I don't play glass canon builds. This is generally in adv ones though, and mostly just the borg ones. I've seen some big hits from the npcs like this in others, just not as often.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
    trennan wrote: »

But I do know where the OP is coming from. I've seen then hit bare hull for 70K-ish damage. Just plink there goes 2/3's of my health. Not that it really bother me, as I don't play glass canon builds. This is generally in adv ones though, and mostly just the borg ones. I've seen some big hits from the npcs like this in others, just not as often.

I think players need to exchange ideas and tips about defensive skill....not always offensive. And how it works together. I know the best players are doing more than piling on Crits. They are staying out of trouble in the first place....some how. LOL!!

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 2,412 Arc User
    My ship's been vaporized by something similar to that hive onslaught on normal except the numbers weren't in the millions, and the scroll bar kept on going and going, and it was on one of the first stage of kobayashi event, which promptly took out our entire team and we failed. I did not parse that sadly, but I've been seeing ridiculous incoming torpedo damage so do suspect something's not right.
    Y945Yzx.jpg
    Devs: Provide the option to Turn OFF full screen flashes from enemy ship explosions
    · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
    «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
    ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,301 Arc User
    trennan wrote: »
    questerius wrote: »

@trennan
    @where2r1

TBR among others. Then there is GW and other than that there are various science powers, temporal and pilot abilities which can negate target-able torpedoes.
    It's even easier when flying a science vessel and being equipped with a secondary deflector.

It's an arm length list so when it can do AoE then it works.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    lukari ques are totally messed up... torp dmg is insane (on advance). on top of Tzenkethi being practically immune to dmg outside of fore facing...
  • tk79tk79 Member Posts: 1,020 Arc User
    Let's also account for certain torps giving insane shield damage too:
    [4:41] [Combat (Self)] Commander's Ship deals 2033 (30831) Tetryon Damage to you with Advanced Diffusive Tetryon Torpedo.
    [4:41] [Combat (Self)] Commander's Ship's Diffusive Tetryon Torpedo - Spread II gives 7732 (10819) to your Shields.
    [4:41] [Combat (Self)] Commander's Ship deals 712 (21435) Tetryon Damage to you with Diffusive Tetryon Torpedo - Spread II.
    [4:41] [Combat (Self)] Commander's Ship deals 21539 (50949) Tetryon Damage(Critical) to you with Diffusive Tetryon Torpedo - Spread II.
    [4:41] [Combat (Self)] Commander's Ship deals 11940 (21290) Tetryon Damage to you with Diffusive Tetryon Torpedo - Spread II.

That was on a L65 story mission on Normal diff flying a heavy tank Engineer build. I think the above numbers are perhaps too much for story missions on Normal diff, although the torp in question seems to be an oddball. It is a torp that deals Tetryon damage, akin to the Crystalline Energy Torpedo Launcher. Torps deal high damage, so it's like a pumped up energy weapon with the benefits of torp modifiers? L65-scaled NPCs using it are probably enhancing its damage all too well.
    U.S.S. Eastgate Photo Wall
    STO Screenshot Archive

edited February 2019
    Tetryon is always shields, right?? And I do not think you got all of it on your snippet of the combat log, there.
    Ifyou get hit by that Shield Diffusion proc or Proto matter Radiation...

10% chance: Apply Shield Diffusion to self:
    * +10% Shield Resistance for 10 sec
    to target:
    * -10% Shield Resistance for 10 sec

10% chance: Apply Protomatter Radiation
    * 57.1 Radiation Damage per sec for 15 sec (ignores 80% Shields)
    8 sec recharge

https://sto.gamepedia.com/Advanced_Diffusive_Tetryon_Torpedo_Launcher/Info

Serious, players need to start looking at getting help with defensive stuffs.

• tk79tk79 Member Posts: 1,020 Arc User
    edited February 2019
    Tetryon is always shields, right?? And I do not think you got all of it on your snippet of the combat log, there.
    Ifyou get hit by that Shield Diffusion proc or Proto matter Radiation...

10% chance: Apply Shield Diffusion to self:
    * +10% Shield Resistance for 10 sec
    to target:
    * -10% Shield Resistance for 10 sec

10% chance: Apply Protomatter Radiation
    * 57.1 Radiation Damage per sec for 15 sec (ignores 80% Shields)
    8 sec recharge

https://sto.gamepedia.com/Advanced_Diffusive_Tetryon_Torpedo_Launcher/Info

Serious, players need to start looking at getting help with defensive stuffs.

Let's say I got debuffed with that proc, the non-debuffed damage would be:

7732 (10819) => 6958 (9737)

Still high shield damage for a torp if you ask me.

I'd say not only the proc didn't hit me, but I was already stacking with shield resistances from the Undine reputation shield proc + EPtS (+ other things), so it could probably be worse for tactical or non-defense-oriented builds.

If you want to imply I need to improve my defense, next time use a better argument than a measly proc.
    azrael605 wrote: »
    Whats the problem?

For you, nothing I guess. It's fine if you disagree though. Some players like the challenge. I'd say play on Advanced if that's your thing. I'm only complaining about Normal difficulty here.
    U.S.S. Eastgate Photo Wall
    STO Screenshot Archive

• feliseanfelisean Member Posts: 688 Arc User
    Tzenkethi are using TETRYON!!! torpedos. they dont do kinetic damage => they do NOT get the 75% reduction from shields, because you know, they do TETRYON damage.

and even than, the values seems to be not that high at all, based on the fact that close to all ships have 100k+ hull.

and to read the damage numbers there:
    actual damage, including resistance (damage without resistance, positive or negative)

so in your case, your shields had like 20-25% resistance against tetryon damage in your case. your hull got way more, something around 50%.

and you got something like 35k damage from that attack, its not something really devastating or so, its just a usual hit. nothing to change there to be fair.
  • powskierpowskier Member Posts: 67 Arc User
    jagdtier44 wrote: »
    Hive Onslaught on NORMAL

ORZYzvV.png

I figure if I increase my resists by another 10% I should totally be able to tank that on my 7,000 forward shields.. :|

There are abilities that stop Torpedoes;)
This discussion has been closed.