test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Unrestricted Talior......... again

revan#6161 revan Member Posts: 12 Arc User
I know this is a tired out discussion on the forms, but I’m hoping bringing it up again and again will maybe one day lead to it being done. As many of you know the talior can be quite restrictive especially on Bridge officers, with many Lobi store, rep amours and off duty gear be unavailable. I understand why the devs did this but for those of us who love putting detail into our crew, the role players and people like myself who use the talior to design characters for other media’s. It’s quite annoying. If it was a complete restriction I’d be content, but some things get into the talior and others don’t. Example all rep helmets and the full set of Lukari and Terran are available to officers (and the whole Dulist set apart from the 3 chest pieces). And sometimes random bits come through like shoes or the MACO lower. I’m primary a Xbox player so I have heard MACO and Omega and maybe even Hirogen can be used on PC. I think they should unrestrict the talior to allow us to design our captain and crew to our hearts content, even if they just give the officers the category’s like our captains do it would be enough, if the clipping part is the big deal with the devs. I know this post prob won’t get anything done, but I decided the community once more can allow for some constructive discussion on both sides of the argument. (As a side note, swim wear being restricted to Risa isn’t a big deal to be personally, but I know some players of this game would also like to go into battle with a crew in swimwear, while not my personal choice, I bring up a something I read on a previous thread like this, other players barely see others officers, outside of Risa, playing missions in co op and on new Romulus).

Edit - to clear up something, since their has been some mention, I’m not meaning all uniforms being cross faction, I’d rather keep faction unique stay that way. Just everything else

Edit 2 - also forgot to mention that another game by Criptic Champions online has a unrestricted talior, so the devs are capable of doing it, so unless it’s somthing CBS is stoping, it’s doable
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    It sounds like you have 2 main asks:

1: let us use all of the costume parts we own/have unlocked on all of our boffs

and

2: let us mix and match off duty and uniform parts

I agree with both of those.

I also agree with the part where you said this isn't going to happen.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Just wait a few hours and this Thread will be closed for /Reasons and this Topic will be added to the FCT.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,247 Community Moderator
    Wow. Sounds like someone wants to discuss moderation. :smirk:
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • velquavelqua Member Posts: 1,220 Arc User
    I wouldn't mind having this feature. Though my main push at the moment is for Vanity Pet tabs or Vanity Pet Reclaim abilities.
    18662390068_f716cd60e3.jpg
  • avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    Certain models would have clipping issues when mixed and matched.
  • jenicazarinajenicazarina Member Posts: 78 Arc User
    I'm sure we'd all love to have this, but let's face it, there are IP issues involved here. They obviously can't have Fed captains running around in KDF uniforms with Rom badges on, etc. You know that there are people that would take it to the extreme.

So yeah, not going to happen.
    Resistance is never futile!

800S3a8.jpg
    edited February 2019
    I just want BOFFs to be able to wear all the same outfits as Captains, and a unified color palette for all costume pieces across all Factions, where the colors actually match between top and bottom pieces.
    GrWzQke.png
  • katanahiryukatanahiryu Member Posts: 145 Arc User
    I want the temporal rep costume available for boffs FFS.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • grendelthewise#0990 grendelthewise Member Posts: 640 Arc User
    Do we have to visit this again. I'm starting to get a headache already
    Fleet Admiral of the U.S.S. ATTILA KHAN-CDA (NX-921911).
  • ladyinferno2010ladyinferno2010 Member Posts: 61 Arc User
    I just want my Starfleet Romulans to be able to use the boatload of Starfleet uniforms I've bought. Still.
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,913 Arc User
    I just want BOFFs to be able to wear all the same outfits as Captains, and a unified color palette for all costume pieces across all Factions, where the colors actually match between top and bottom pieces.

This! When my colors don't match top/bottom that does get annoying.

And I do want my BOFFs to be able to wear the same outfits my Captain has unlocked.

Don't want unrestricted access, just BOFF access to my costume pieces.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    > @baddmoonrizin said:
    > I just want BOFFs to be able to wear all the same outfits as Captains, and a unified color palette for all costume pieces across all Factions, where the colors actually match between top and bottom pieces.

Seconded.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • tyler002tyler002 Member Posts: 1,586 Arc User
    All I want is for my Federation-claimed Jem'Hadar Starfleet Officers to be able to wear their Uniform (preferrably without losing the White tubes).
    tumblr_p7auh1JPC61qfr6udo4_500.gif
  • trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
    edited February 2019
    I'm sure we'd all love to have this, but let's face it, there are IP issues involved here. They obviously can't have Fed captains running around in KDF uniforms with Rom badges on, etc. You know that there are people that would take it to the extreme.

So yeah, not going to happen.

I wouldn't go this far. As these are faction specific. I'd say, more faction specific tailor unlocking. However, even withing the faction separation, there is even more needless separation. For example, you won't to do a custom suit of armor, and you want to use some MACO, Counter-Command, and Iconian armor pieces to pull it off. Well, to bad you can't, since these are locked to those specific armors. This is the kind of things that needs to go.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    I just want Boff's to wear all the rep armor I unlock and mostly everything else i own
    GwaoHAD.png
  • thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    A unified color palette is an idea which has been proposed many many times. Which does not in any way invalidate the idea of having it. All the ideas in this thread have been discussed at length and by nearly everyone. Again, this does not invalidate them.

They are all good ideas.

But the only way at this point I could see Cryptic revisiting this part of the game is if they find a way to monetize it. To the point where it shows as profit. No profit on this means no changes.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • jamieblanchardjamieblanchard Member Posts: 556 Arc User
    echatty wrote: »

And I do want my BOFFs to be able to wear the same outfits my Captain has unlocked.

What they said, pretty much. And yes, I would also like my Jem hadars to be able to wear their ally's outfits.

Please open the color palette. Lots of the Klingon stuff would so good with dark purple, but they are restricted to red, blue, yellows, white and black, for some reason.
    And proper full black for all.

Yes. IMO it's well past time to fix the colour palette. I think KDF Jem hadar get purple. Though oddly, not klingon or orion males. In fact, the other day when I was working on my KDF Jem Hadar's outfit, his pants and top wound up being two different purples. >_<

Resident TOS, G.I. Joe, Transformers and hair metal fangirl.

And knowing is half the battle!

21 'til I die!
    edited February 2019
    echatty wrote: »

What they said, pretty much. And yes, I would also like my Jem hadars to be able to wear their ally's outfits.

Please open the color palette. Lots of the Klingon stuff would so good with dark purple, but they are restricted to red, blue, yellows, white and black, for some reason.
    And proper full black for all.

Yes. IMO it's well past time to fix the colour palette. I think KDF Jem hadar get purple. Though oddly, not klingon or orion males. In fact, the other day when I was working on my KDF Jem Hadar's outfit, his pants and top wound up being two different purples. >_<

For me on the color pallet, as I've suggested before, I'd like to see them replace it with an R/G/B slider style. Of course have preset color for the uniforms of NPCs and such. For players as well to quick set the uniform colors for whatever reasons they would. But for everything else, the R/G/B slider makes more sense, because then we could accurately match outfit piece color.

Of course for this they'd also have to overhaul the tailor, something long overdue. But then this would have to be something the dev's really cared about. If they did, they'd be aware of the horrid clipping issues that happen between the outfit pieces, and would want to fix it because they're art is just going to waste otherwise.

This is a shame really. There are a lot of great outfits out there, and a lot more the players could put together from them, if they didn't clip so bad they make you want to vomit.
    Post edited by trennan on
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • alexraptorralexraptorr Member Posts: 1,192 Arc User
    Definitely want to see a more or less unrestricted tailor.
    Lets face it, there simply is absolutely no valid excuse anymore for the restrictions other than faction.
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid." - Q
  • xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    Also, having the option for your faction tailors to create your uniforms for exchange officers/special customizable boffs would be great. I don't see why Romulan Republic tailors cannot create an outfit for Andorians but have to ship in Fed clothing.

(And don't get me started on how even within Rom toons with the same gender some clothing doesn't transfer)

I do think that retroactively changing the color palette may be kind of a hassle, depending on how it's implemented, but that would be nice as well.
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
    I'd rather have number inputs to type in the value for colors than sliders. It would give more precise control, and one could pick colors more easily.
    GrWzQke.png
    I'd rather have number inputs to type in the value for colors than sliders. It would give more precise control, and one could pick colors more easily.

That's what I mean by the R/G/B slider. Use the color chart, plus a slider for darker/lighter, which gives you the R/G/B color numbers at the bottom. This way you set the color/slider for the first piece and just copy/paste the numbers to subsequent pieces. Which is how they get the color pallet to begin with.

Then just add a matte/glossy selection. This is my one little pet peeve here. I'd love to use some of the alpha, beta, and gamma armor pieces, along with others. But the whole glossy look they come with, yeah, just makes it to where they're not usable.

Then just remove the restrictions per faction. That way you have a full range for Fed, KDF, Rom, and Dominion, AoY and Disco counting in the Fed here. We can add the species restriction here as well, for the alien gen, and other things, like the body tattoos I and others have seen tailor glitch users using.

Overhauling the tailor here is a two birds with one stone move. It would be an improvement for all players, and cleans up the tailor glitch.

I would also ask them to do something about all the clipping issues as well. But, sadly, I realize, they can't clear them all up, one of the problems of having mix and match outfit pieces.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    Cryptic's other game Champions Online shows what the tailor would be capable of without artificial restrictions. Everytthing usable, mixable and with full color palettes. It's awesome. Too bad it doesn't have spaceships.

trennan wrote: »
    Of course for this they'd also have to overhaul the tailor, something long overdue. But then this would have to be something the dev's really cared about. If they did, they'd be aware of the horrid clipping issues that happen between the outfit pieces, and would want to fix it because they're art is just going to waste otherwise.

This is a shame really. There are a lot of great outfits out there, and a lot more the players could put together from them, if they didn't clip so bad they make you want to vomit.
    It's impossible for the devs to individually adjust every possible combination between a bazillion outfit parts.

Clipping is one of the excuses given for not letting people combine things. But that's wrong. Players should be allowed to combine anything. If you choose stuff that clips then it will clip and it's your job to decide if that's what you want or to use something else.

To refer to CO again, you can combine almost anything with anything there. It even has deliberately overlapping item slots. You can wear two hairstyles, a hat and 5 slots worth of head accessories at once and none of them restricted. You can still wear all of that even with your head type set to full helmet. You decide what looks good. This obviously can result in ridiculous clown outfits, but also exponentially increases creative potential for players.

As opposed to STO with a tailor treating the player like a child that needs mommy to decide what they go out in.
  • shrimphead2015shrimphead2015 Member Posts: 527 Arc User
    edited February 2019
    For me its been a mixed bag with the tailor. Some outfits go without a hitch and then some, thanks to the restrictions fail miserably.

After a few traditional captains I started to make some non-lore captains. I made a captain and away team after the "Engineers" from the movie "Alien - Covenant" also some Area 51 "Greys", those came out ok.

It's when I tried to make those 70's "Planet of the Apes" characters where I hit a wall. I could make the face more or less accurate but the hair and facial hair was a no-go. If I had a slider to increase the length of the hair it might have been a success but alas it doesn't exist.

I'm a little hazy about this but I could have sworn that City of Heroes had a hair length slider. The only reason i mention it is that STO appeared to have a similar engine to COH (although I would think now the STO engine is much more updated). If that is the case, I hope it wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility to implement that function here.
    "There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life. No signed paper can hold the iron. It must come from men. The words of Ten Bears carries the same iron of life and death. It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life." - Ten Bears (Will Sampson)
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,501 Arc User
    edited February 2019
    I want it all, and I want it now! :)

For both captains and boffs: A full and matching palette, mix any and all pieces I've unlocked, with no "off duty" restrictions.

I'll live with any clipping issues to get this. I'd even pay 1000 zen for an unrestricted tailor unlock, or it could be a new Lifetime Sub perk.
  • bloodyrizbloodyriz Member Posts: 1,756 Arc User

This and a true black and we have a good start.​​
    signature.png
    We come in peace, SHOOT TO KILL!
  • avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    edited February 2019
    The Jem'Hadar Tactical Uniform has full black but the Cardassian uniform doesn't, it also has a orange/yellow specular/phong shading attached to it which cannot be changed and ruins the look of it.
    Post edited by avoozuul on
    warpangel wrote: »
    Cryptic's other game Champions Online shows what the tailor would be capable of without artificial restrictions. Everytthing usable, mixable and with full color palettes. It's awesome. Too bad it doesn't have spaceships.

trennan wrote: »

It's impossible for the devs to individually adjust every possible combination between a bazillion outfit parts.

Clipping is one of the excuses given for not letting people combine things. But that's wrong. Players should be allowed to combine anything. If you choose stuff that clips then it will clip and it's your job to decide if that's what you want or to use something else.

To refer to CO again, you can combine almost anything with anything there. It even has deliberately overlapping item slots. You can wear two hairstyles, a hat and 5 slots worth of head accessories at once and none of them restricted. You can still wear all of that even with your head type set to full helmet. You decide what looks good. This obviously can result in ridiculous clown outfits, but also exponentially increases creative potential for players.

As opposed to STO with a tailor treating the player like a child that needs mommy to decide what they go out in.

Yeah, I agreed with the part later on in a another post. Mainly here, just the belts and chest gear clipping is what gets me. For instance, trying to use the terran chest belt, or the mercenary chest pieces with the jem'hadar tactical top. Both of these, along with serveral other chest pieces just clip horridly. Another is the vest from the gamma mission and say the mirror tos top, the top actually clips through the vest, especially on female characters. A few other pieces do this as well.

One has to expect some clipping, just on how some outfits are designed. This I can live with.

As for the clown outfits. Well... those we already have, between the alien gen and outfits. I've seen some really weird aliens out there. So, this is a rather moot point.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,952 Arc User
    Have to give this a +1 as well.

It is 'somewhat challenging' at times to get everything to match and then you click on what's supposed to be the color for your boots and it somehow get's 'altered' to something different.

How can you be at your best when your boots aren't the right color? It just isn't possible lol
This discussion has been closed.