Install Arc

More on the CBS Lawsuit

smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,659 Arc User
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdSSttnpoAk

Here's it so far.

I am ROOTING for this poor guy, all he wants is to
1: make a good game
2: take care of his sick parents

I hope CBS gets their's. As the host said, in reply to what CBS did to him, and with the fan films, I say it's time for some good old fashioned karma to bite CBS on the behind. Time to show even a big, mega corporation needs to be held accountable for its actions.
hjDayOl.jpg

Hope this guy can get as much as he can from CBS. And to so-called fans attacking him, lashing at him, for shame. :'(

I'm rooting for you, sir!
kk10oLD.jpg

When Tardigrades comes out, I'm so getting me a copy.
dvZq2Aj.jpg

Comments

• markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    So... Why do you think he has a case?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,354 Arc User
    Smokey doesn't care about a case, or about justice. Smokey just wants to see Discovery gone, and has some weird idea that large corporations (and their individual stockholders!) somehow deserved to get screwed over when there's a pretty sob story to be had.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    > @markhawkman said:
    > So... Why do you think he has a case?

I don’t think he has a case. You cannot sue for coincidence. That’s why the judge gave them time to find a link.
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    I thought the attention seeking 'lawsuit' wasn't a topic of discussion anymore. Too many backseat lawyers.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,659 Arc User
    jonsills wrote: »
    Smokey doesn't care about a case, or about justice. Smokey just wants to see Discovery gone, and has some weird idea that large corporations (and their individual stockholders!) somehow deserved to get screwed over when there's a pretty sob story to be had.

WRONG.

I wanna see some justice served. Hollywood, and big corporations always do stuff that, if WE did it, we'd be sitting in a jail cell, or at least get a hefty fine.

Sorry, pal, but I am siding with the game maker.

Sorry if I don't act like CBS is so innocent.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
    > @smokebailey said:
    > jonsills wrote: »
    >
    > Smokey doesn't care about a case, or about justice. Smokey just wants to see Discovery gone, and has some weird idea that large corporations (and their individual stockholders!) somehow deserved to get screwed over when there's a pretty sob story to be had.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > WRONG.
    >
    > I wanna see some justice served. Hollywood, and big corporations always do stuff that, if WE did it, we'd be sitting in a jail cell, or at least get a hefty fine.
    >
    > Sorry, pal, but I am siding with the game maker.
    >
    > Sorry if I don't act like CBS is so innocent.

How is CBS guilty?
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    Personally, I think that CBS and this indie developer got the inspiration for space tardigrades from the same source, Neil deGrasseTyson's Cosmos series. After all, Cosmos is a very popular TV show while most people have never heard of this game.
    The only reason why we know about it is due to Discovery hatred. Unless the indie developer can prove that CBS got their idea from him, then there is no way he can win.
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    jonsills wrote: »

Stick it to The Man pig-35.gif​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited February 2019
    > @smokebailey said:
    > Here's it so far.
    >
    > I am ROOTING for this poor guy, all he wants is to
    > 1: make a good game
    > 2: take care of his sick parents
    >
    > I hope CBS gets their's. As the host said, in reply to what CBS did to him, and with the fan films, I say it's time for some good old fashioned karma to bite CBS on the behind. Time to show even a big, mega corporation needs to be held accountable for its actions.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Hope this guy can get as much as he can from CBS. And to so-called fans attacking him, lashing at him, for shame. :'(
    >
    > I'm rooting for you, sir!
    >
    >
    >
    > When Tardigrades comes out, I'm so getting me a copy.

Check your facts. Anas Abdin's crappy pixelated mess of a game blatantly rips off Dune and Stargate, and the supposed similarities to DSC are selectively edited and there's evidence that he changed things after the fact to make it look more like DSC. As for fan films, CBS and Paramount was very supportive of those until some dumb SOB decided to profit off the IP without asking permission. And Midnight's Hedge and Dumbcock are the Alex Joneses of Star Trek "journalism".

Sometimes the "evul megacorporation" isn't actually the bad guy.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited February 2019
    By default i'm sticking to CBS on the matter, because i always take a dim view of those who intentionally go out their way to mess things up for others. No one can have anything nice so long as there are one or two rotten apples who think they are entitled to be the exception to the rule.

Axanar only proved one thing, CBS will clamp down hard on the fandom if they have to and i will never ever forgive Alec Peters for that whole sordid business with Axanar and regardless of the outcome of this lawsuit, you can be sure CBS will have something waiting to come down afterwards.

This court case is a loser as nothing good will come from it either way.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • redvengeredvenge Member Posts: 1,425 Arc User
    starswordc wrote: »
    Check your facts. Anas Abdin's crappy pixelated mess of a game blatantly rips off Dune and Stargate, and the supposed similarities to DSC are selectively edited and there's evidence that he changed things after the fact to make it look more like DSC. As for fan films, CBS and Paramount was very supportive of those until some dumb SOB decided to profit off the IP without asking permission. And Midnight's Hedge and Dumbcock are the Alex Joneses of Star Trek "journalism".

[Citation needed]

Where is there proof that anything was edited post-Star Trek: Discovery?

Curiously, as far as the case is concerned, the judge ruled that CBS is the ones that must prove they did not steal ideas from Tartigrades. The judge declared that CBS must show proof of where they got the ideas for Star Trek: Discovery. They also must disclose any "employees with Steam accounts".

As far as I know, there is no proof one way or the other on this issue. I am curious as to how it turns out.
    edited February 2019
    > @redvenge said:
    > starswordc wrote: »
    >
    > Check your facts. Anas Abdin's crappy pixelated mess of a game blatantly rips off Dune and Stargate, and the supposed similarities to DSC are selectively edited and there's evidence that he changed things after the fact to make it look more like DSC. As for fan films, CBS and Paramount was very supportive of those until some dumb SOB decided to profit off the IP without asking permission. And Midnight's Hedge and Dumbcock are the Alex Joneses of Star Trek "journalism".
    >
    > Sometimes the "evul megacorporation" isn't actually the bad guy.
    >
    >
    >
    > [Citation needed]
    >
    > Where is there proof that anything was edited post-Star Trek: Discovery?
    >
    > Curiously, as far as the case is concerned, the judge ruled that CBS is the ones that must prove they did not steal ideas from Tartigrades. The judge declared that CBS must show proof of where they got the ideas for Star Trek: Discovery. They also must disclose any "employees with Steam accounts".
    >
    > As far as I know, there is no proof one way or the other on this issue. I am curious as to how it turns out.

If I remember correctly the Game Maker has to prove CBS got the idea from the game.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.plagiarismtoday.com/2018/09/11/understanding-the-star-trek-discovery-plagiarism-allegations/amp/
    Your pain runs deep.
  • redvengeredvenge Member Posts: 1,425 Arc User
    edited February 2019
    khan5000 wrote: »
    If I remember correctly the Game Maker has to prove CBS got the idea from the game.
    Should not be too hard. They have to turn over everything Anas asks for.
    The judge also gave us 'discovery' which means that we can request and the defendants are compelled to provide information to support our case. The discovery order was only one sided which means that the defendants cannot request information from us.
    http://anas-tronaut.blogspot.com/
    > @coldnapalm said:
    > khan5000 wrote: »
    >
    > If I remember correctly the Game Maker has to prove CBS got the idea from the game.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > This is a civil case...it's not a matter of proof really. The case can be ruled against you on it just being likely it happened. The burden of proof in civil cases is a lot more lax than in criminal cases...so really the the guy making the game needs to gather as much proof that they did it while CBS needs to gather as much proof that they did not. If CBS does not bother to gather said evidence...or can't because it does not exist anymore...or at all (basically that one means they did it), they would have to hope that what a jury or judge sees in the similarities along with anything that gets dug up in discovery isn't too convincing. AKA a great way to lose a civil case. So yes...both is correct.

I posted a link that goes over the case from an objective point of view. The game maker has to prove CBS got the ideas from him. The judge gave the game maker time to find a link between his game and Discovery. If there is not one the case will he dismissed.
    Your pain runs deep.
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    redvenge wrote: »
    starswordc wrote: »

[Citation needed]

Where is there proof that anything was edited post-Star Trek: Discovery?

Curiously, as far as the case is concerned, the judge ruled that CBS is the ones that must prove they did not steal ideas from Tartigrades. The judge declared that CBS must show proof of where they got the ideas for Star Trek: Discovery. They also must disclose any "employees with Steam accounts".

As far as I know, there is no proof one way or the other on this issue. I am curious as to how it turns out.

Having a steam account isn't proof of stealing ideas and even if someone from CBS played tardigrades on steam, it is hard to prove that they got the idea from that game unless they can prove intent but that all comes down to he said, she said. There is no possible way to prove the case. Besides this CBS could of just as easily looked up on wikipedia or some other site and saw a tartigrade picture there and decided it was a plan. Can Anas prove this wasn't the case?

What it comes down to is how can Anas prove beyond any doubt that CBS was specifically in his game to steal ideas, how can he prove they did it beyond saying they did?
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.plagiarismtoday.com/2018/09/11/understanding-the-star-trek-discovery-plagiarism-allegations/amp/

“To prove his case, Abdin has to show two things:

That the team from Star Trek: Discovery copied from him.
    That what they copied amounted to copyright infringement.
    The first item will be difficult enough. Tardigrades was announced in May 2014. Star Trek: Discovery was announced in November 2015. Most likely, Star Trek: Discovery was in the works well before anything was made public about Tardigrades.

It’s also worth noting that Tardigrades are real creatures. They are microscopic organisms that have become somewhat famous in recent years for their ability to survive in space. In fact, in 2008 scientists from the European Space Agency subjected tardigrades to space-like conditions and they suffered no ill-effects. Tardigrades resiliency combined with their alien appearance make them natural fodder for science fiction.

Though it is an interesting coincidence that both used giant blue tardigrades to aid in instantaneous travel, the mechanisms by which they worked appear to be different. The tardigrade in Star Trek: Discovery functioned as a living computer and only worked at extreme peril to itself while, according of videos, Tardigrades has a more symbiotic relationship with their passengers.

But, even if it can be shown that CBS did copy from Tradigrades, Abdin has to prove that what was copied is protected by copyright. Simply put, ideas can not be copyright protected, only expressions of those ideas. You can’t sell copies of Harry Potter but you can write your own story about a child wizard that goes to a magic school.

Characters can be copyright protected, but only if they are distinct and original. In the case Litchfield v. Spielberg, a playwright sued claiming that an alien character he had created bore a strong resemblance to E.T. He noted that both characters were stranded on earth, had powers of levitation and telepathy and other similarities.

However, that case was dismissed with a summary judgment and that decision was upheld on appeal.

Given that tardigrades are real creatures, it seems unlikely that either CBS or Abdin would have protection in large, blue, space-traveling tardigrades.

The same is true for the other similarities. Having a black female lead or an interracial TRIBBLE couple can be part of a character, but does not obtain copyright protection by itself. After all, these are elements in many, many stories and, if Star Trek: Discovery can be held liable for using, then Abdin would likely be in trouble as well.

While anything can happen to a case when it goes to court, this one will likely struggle to get past even the early stages.”
    Your pain runs deep.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,973 Community Moderator
    Also... if the guy is trying to throw in the look of the uniforms too because "blue jumpsuit" style...

pD0eM.jpg

Enterprise did it long before Discovery.

Fact of the matter is... some very dubious, HIGHLY biased YouTubers are blowing this WAY out of proportion, trying to launch some kind of crusade.

The source of all this "information" is not credible because of blatant, venomous bias, and we're only getting one side, the ANTI side.

As others have said, there is a plausible case for parallel development because of Neil deGrasse Tyson. And there is potential evidence that the game maker ripped off Dune, which if true and discovered in this lawsuit, opens him up to a lawsuit from the owners of Dune. And if he also ripped off Stargate... well... there's another lawsuit aimed at him.

Logically... this could end VERY BADLY for the indie developer.

All in all... I respect your opinion smoke... but can we just let this rest? As you can see all this does is divide us STO players and cause fights. Pretty sure that is not your intent, but it is a consequence.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    khan5000 wrote: »
    I posted a link that goes over the case from an objective point of view. The game maker has to prove CBS got the ideas from him. The judge gave the game maker time to find a link between his game and Discovery. If there is not one the case will he dismissed.

Once again...civil case. Yeah there would need to be some links to show that this was at least likely to have happened...but this isn't a criminal case. This is a civil one. When two parties in a civil case has two different stories with no other evidence to back it up, it can end up being that the case in won or lost depending purely on how believable each story was. If there really was NOTHING here as you pro essteedee people keep claiming, this case would have been dismissed already. There MAYBE something here and the courts are looking into it. Both sides need to stop with the definite one way or the other. I am leaning more towards there is something here...but really...with what we know now, going in the extreme one way or the other is completely foolish.

Which is not the case. My feelings on Discovery have no bearing on the facts of this case. The judge in the suit is asking for evidence that Discovery stole ideas from the game maker.
    http://axamonitor.com/doku.php?id=tardigrades_steam#joint_status_letter
    Your pain runs deep.
  • wingedhussar#7584 wingedhussar Member Posts: 436 Community Moderator
    We're just not going to be doing these anymore, because they ALWAYS devolve. /Thread
    latest?cb=20171202101458

...THEN THE WINGED HUSSARS ARRIVED!
    Volunteer community moderator for the Star Trek Online forums. Not a Cryptic Studios or Perfect World employee.
This discussion has been closed.