test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Can't Login, get Unable to authenticate: Connection to the account server timed out

Comments

• sgtfloydpepper#7911 sgtfloydpepper Member Posts: 1,111 Arc User
    This is gettin really old. 9 years and the servers are still sketchy...
    1xe027q.png
  • saitaersaitaer Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    Got connected for a short time booted connected booted again ......
  • fattydaddie#6105 fattydaddie Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    Same. Can anyone log in??? Or is the entire game offline?
  • arkyboyarkyboy Member Posts: 118 Arc User
    I was able to log on again for about 15 mins (Long enough to finish my last omega collection to get the ship) then kept getting SNR disconnects. Looks like I'll be giving STO a rest for a few days maybe they will have this fixed by then. Good Luck Fellow Trekkies/Trekkers
    [img][/img]Screenshot%2067_zps8ijfhubt.png
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,296 Community Moderator
    Cryptic is aware and is working diligently to resolve the issue.

vVFJ4Ql.png
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • sarah2774sarah2774 Member Posts: 238 Arc User
    edited February 2019
    Same. Can anyone log in??? Or is the entire game offline?

Many are playing the game. For me got kicked 7 times and log in 45 tries. Overall I am one of the lucky ones, once log in i stay log in for a few hours. Once the unable to authenticate comes i take a 10 min break relaunch the launcher than try to log in rapidly 5 times. Then I repeat the cycle. I am online now farming omega.
    OPv9m3F.jpg
  • sgtken60sgtken60 Member Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited February 2019
    Well I got on this morning, got my Omega Event Done (got a total of 920, so 80 more to go for the ship) and Party Crashers done, so I made it to LvL 40 Subadmiral I got my Ha'apax Advanced Warbird, got the Mission: Turnabout, completed so not a bad morning.

It still seems to be "rubber-banding" at lot, but I did not get booted off. So maybe when I get off work this afternoon, I will be able get back in and go do some more missions.
  • c0d3jackerc0d3jacker Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    When they put out a notice that the issue is resolved, then I'll try to login again. I don't want to get hit with some weird bug because of this issue. Too much time invested to risk it.
    c0d3jacker wrote: »
    When they put out a notice that the issue is resolved, then I'll try to login again. I don't want to get hit with some weird bug because of this issue. Too much time invested to risk it.

Yeah it would be nice if something was said, I have even been checking Twitter to see if STO or Arc has updated/said anything nothing so far. :(
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    edited February 2019
    I do not know where the PWE folks live....But Cryptic is in California, and doubt they are at work, yet. It is 6A.M. over there.

I do not know what is going on with this. But understand it effects all the games, not just STO. Cryptic may not even be getting details from the systems or comm techs working on this. Even if they were, it is probably nothing players can do anything about.

Be glad they are confident in allowing players to attempt signing in. Feel lucky if you can stay connected to play.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
    edited February 2019
    where2r1 wrote: »
    I do not know where the PWE folks live....But Cryptic is in California, and doubt they are at work, yet. It is 6A.M. over there.

I do not know what is going on with this. But understand it effects all the games, not just STO. Cryptic may not even be getting details from the systems or comm techs working on this. Even if they were, it is probably nothing players can do anything about.

Be glad they are confident in allowing players to attempt signing in. Feel lucky if you can stay connected to play.

Same place or close to it.

Perfect World Entertainment, Inc.
    Type Gaming Industry Game developer and publisher
    Founded 2008
    Headquarters Redwood City, California, United States
    Parent Perfect World Co.

And I did feel lucky, like I said I got my main to lvl 40, which for most of you means not much since you have already done it, but this is my first Captain in STO, so I am proud of old Khaeccux.
    Post edited by sgtken60 on
  • divvydenddivvydend Member Posts: 131 Arc User
    edited February 2019
    sgtken60 wrote: »

Yeah it would be nice if something was said, I have even been checking Twitter to see if STO or Arc has updated/said anything nothing so far. :(

Been playing this since 2012 and this has always been the case for as long as I can remember. Treating us like mushrooms, keeping us in the dark and feeding us some BS.
    One thing I AM happy is gone is the queuing to get into the game when a major update was done. Such a pain being told "you are now 10995 and will enter the game shortly" or words to that effect.
    divvydend wrote: »

Been playing this since 2012 and this has always been the case for as long as I can remember. Treating us like mushrooms, keeping us in the dark and feeding us some BS.
    One thing I AM happy is gone is the queuing to get into the game when a major update was done. Such a pain being told "you are now 10995 and will enter the game shortly" or words to that effect.

Yeah as a long time gamer I can understand that, have seen a few times since the late 1990s. And I understand the different time zones, but it still would be nice once in a while not to be the mushroom.

BUT I did reach level 40, Sub-Admiral, lol not bad for an old USN Engineman Petty Officer 2nd Class 07.
  • sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,438 Arc User
    edited February 2019
    Strangely, enough the first day people were having issues, I really had no issues except long loading screens (or was that the day after that day). Then after the emergency maintenance, really had no problems. Again, yesterday played and did not even have long loading screens. So this issue seems localized, for those who are affected, may they get to the bottom of this. Thanks. :)
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
  • tdog86tdog86 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    ayexeyen wrote: »
    Same here, I put a tracert but it seems that there is no problem from the network:

Tracing route to patchserver.crypticstudios.com [208.95.184.200]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 6 ms 6 ms 3 ms 192.168.0.1
    2 15 ms 13 ms 10 ms 80-218-166-1.dclient.hispeed.ch [80.218.166.1]
    3 18 ms 16 ms 13 ms 217-168-61-177.static.cablecom.ch [217.168.61.177]
    4 22 ms 26 ms 27 ms ch-zrh03a-rc1-ae55-0.aorta.net [84.116.200.249]
    5 17 ms 17 ms 22 ms ch-zrh01b-ra1-ae1-0.aorta.net [84.116.134.142]
    6 23 ms 23 ms 19 ms be3011.ccr51.zrh02.atlas.cogentco.com [130.117.14.229]
    7 22 ms 22 ms 22 ms be3072.ccr21.muc03.atlas.cogentco.com [130.117.0.18]
    8 30 ms 30 ms 35 ms be2959.ccr41.fra03.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.36.53]
    9 37 ms 35 ms 35 ms be2813.ccr41.ams03.atlas.cogentco.com [130.117.0.121]
    10 40 ms 46 ms 42 ms be12194.ccr41.lon13.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.56.93]
    11 123 ms 130 ms 125 ms be2982.ccr31.bos01.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.1.117]
    12 131 ms 128 ms 130 ms te0-3-1-5.rcr51.b002133-1.bos01.atlas.cogentco.com [66.28.4.42]
    13 100 ms 101 ms 102 ms 38.140.157.34
    14 124 ms 109 ms 110 ms 198.49.243.237
    15 105 ms 102 ms 114 ms patchserver.crypticstudios.com [208.95.184.200]

SAME PROBLEM HERE. Can't even log into support for oh, SUPPORT HELP!
  • darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,713 Community Moderator

Nothing is going to happen to anyone's account or anything like that. Issues like this happen from time to time and if something does happen customer service will be able to correct it.
    Well I got on this morning, got my Omega Event Done (got a total of 920, so 80 more to go for the ship) and Party Crashers done, so I made it to LvL 40 Subadmiral I got my Ha'apax Advanced Warbird, got the Mission: Turnabout, completed so not a bad morning.

It still seems to be "rubber-banding" at lot, but I did not get booted off. So maybe when I get off work this afternoon, I will be able get back in and go do some more missions.

Rubber banding can happen for plenty of reasons. The internet is largely wired still and it's not just a straight path to the servers (would be good if it was though). It's possible for their servers to be fine and your rig to be fine, but along the potentially hundreds of miles of wire in some cases between their servers and your rig, there could be an issue. It could be something along the lines, or something at one of the points your computer hops over to get there. I hope it's nothing but a bunch of rubber banding if an issue pops up. If you keep having issues shoot me a pm or post a thread up and we can try to come up with a solution.
    divvydend wrote: »

There's only so much they can tell us honestly because there's not much to tell, either it's fixed or they're still working on it and it's not fixed. I wish there was more to tell honestly though with this stuff there really isn't. It will get fixed, that much I can assure you of.

As for the queuing to get into game, boy does that take me back to my WoW days on some of the more populated servers. Just good grief did suck. Definitely feel you on that one.
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator

Rubber banding can happen for plenty of reasons. The internet is largely wired still and it's not just a straight path to the servers (would be good if it was though). It's possible for their servers to be fine and your rig to be fine, but along the potentially hundreds of miles of wire in some cases between their servers and your rig, there could be an issue. It could be something along the lines, or something at one of the points your computer hops over to get there. I hope it's nothing but a bunch of rubber banding if an issue pops up. If you keep having issues shoot me a pm or post a thread up and we can try to come up with a solution.

Will sure I PM you LOL, and I know a lot of other reasons can cause rubber-banding, from issue on my side to issues on STO side :)

It was yesterday, I would have some heavy rubber-banding and poof booted off-line :)

I have been playing online games since the late 90s started with Ultima Online, and dial-up, oh my goodness how it has changed LoL
    Well...things seemed to have settled down. :)

I been switching between 6 of my main line characters without a problem. With switching characters or with switching maps. A bit of rubberbanding but not enough to make much difference for what I am doing...which is mostly straightening up clicky stuff since I missed the past couple of nights.

This is at 1P.M. Mountain Time. Will see how it goes after dinner.

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    Well...things seemed to have settled down. :)

I been switching between 6 of my main line characters without a problem. With switching characters or with switching maps. A bit of rubberbanding but not enough to make much difference for what I am doing...which is mostly straightening up clicky stuff since I missed the past couple of nights.

This is at 1P.M. Mountain Time. Will see how it goes after dinner.

I was able to play more or less normally earlier, granted I didn't try the Foundry but everything else seemed to work.
    Well...going on second hour of play time after dinner (7:30P.M. Mountain Time)....still no issues.
    I am assuming whatever it was has been crushed. Thank goodness...

Gonna spend the weekend collecting my Omegas. :) LOL!

• spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    Well...going on second hour of play time after dinner (7:30P.M. Mountain Time)....still no issues.
    I am assuming whatever it was has been crushed. Thank goodness...

Gonna spend the weekend collecting my Omegas. :) LOL!
    It seems to be fixed, but I'd wait a few more days to declared it finally solved. Just to be on the safe side.

While it should be possible to login, I had no issue apart from the typical lag which is really unavoidble when playing a game that has servers in California from Finland. Still if problem was caused by a third party they might be "taking a break" to get people to get back so that their next attack is more effective.

What I'd suggest is to temper one's expectation and not expect that there's no problems ever after this.
    edited February 2019
    spiritborn wrote: »
    It seems to be fixed, but I'd wait a few more days to declared it finally solved. Just to be on the safe side.

While it should be possible to login, I had no issue apart from the typical lag which is really unavoidble when playing a game that has servers in California from Finland. Still if problem was caused by a third party they might be "taking a break" to get people to get back so that their next attack is more effective.

What I'd suggest is to temper one's expectation and not expect that there's no problems ever after this.

Nah..... I am going to THROW caution to the four winds!!!! I am happy!!! I can play my little game. :)
    If I get crushed later by my expectations...my problem.

• halfmoon10halfmoon10 Member Posts: 84 Arc User
    Yup !! I have been getting disconnected so many times today that I have lost count. I hope they extend XP weekend event ! need to play the game to benefit from it huh ? lol
  • pomonagrange#3097 pomonagrange Member Posts: 112 Arc User
    I guess I've been lucky. Since yesterday afternoon I've been on at least twice each day, for about an hour or two each time. Not been kicked off, no crash-to-desktop, not been logged-out and sent to the in-game log-in screen. Just logging out like normal. Thank you, RNGesus.
  • emt27emt27 Member Posts: 167 Arc User
    Guess the gaming gods were with me, I was able to login and got my ship.. perhaps it is fixed, been out for a couple days for RL
    Say something relavant or hold your tongue
  • jim625jim625 Member Posts: 907 Arc User
    can't seem to stay online for a few minutes servers keep timing out
  • aoav160aoav160 Member Posts: 443 Arc User
    Took several tries for me too.
  • iamynaughtiamynaught Member Posts: 1,285 Arc User
    Well, it would seem this issue has reared its ugly head once more. I was switching characters and timed out. I got booted to the login screen and now I can't reconnect, the "Connection to the account server timed out."

And I was close to being done with my alting, too.
    Hello. My name is iamynaught and I am an altaholic.

Losing faith in humanity, one person at a time.
  • aeieaeie Member Posts: 57 Arc User
    edited February 2019
    Same here 11 Feb. Given same error. Hadn't had this issue before until now.

Edit*
    Kept trying after waiting a bit and it finally authenticated.
  • pomonagrange#3097 pomonagrange Member Posts: 112 Arc User
    For the first time in a week or so, I had a problem (understatement) trying to log into STO.

The launch screen loaded okay, then I entered my username and password, and clicked on "engage". CRYPTIC screen appeared and moments later the game client window froze (the horizontal bar hadn't even started moving from left to right). Windows asked if I wanted to search for solutions, I initially clicked "yes", but eventually gave up. Glad that I just could close the game client window and go back to my work software and text files without any major problems.

Checked here to see if anyone had anything like that. Hope not.

Will try logging into STO later and hopefully the same freeze problem won't happen again. Wish me luck.