test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

I'm an Admiral - let me send my ships

ihatepwe735ihatepwe735 Member Posts: 337 Arc User
We can now transwarp directly to mission locations for free. However, there remains content that is tedious to reach, and/or is tedious to return home from.

So, as an ingame Admiral, and as a player with a selection of Active Ships on my character, we could have an interface to

* Choose a ship from our selection of activatable ships
* Send said ship to a location where that location can be any destination in STO: a mission start location, any of the space battlegrounds, the dilithium mine, fleet holdings, Nakura, New Romulus, etc.
* After some time - I imagine an assignment timer like DOFF/Admiralty assignments - the ship is in position and can be "claimed".
* Claiming the ship transwarps me - and invites my entire team to join me - at the destination.
* we can do the battleground / episode / patrol or fleet event.
* When complete I can use the same UI to return to my original location, with my original ship active.

This benefits players as we can access more content: Patrols and Battlegrounds etc. All without leaving ESD, the summer/winter event zone, or wherever it is we prefer to chat, manipulate the exchange, work on our ship & character builds, grind DOFF missions or whatever. We also get the satisfaction of using appropriate ships.

And it benefits Cryptic as demand for ships, ship equipment, and ship slots increases all of which drive dilithium demand, which drives Zen demand, which translates into $.

I'm an Admiral - let me send my ships 11 votes

I would like to be able to send active Ships on missions.
63%
reyan01baronvonboompostagepaidanubis0sarvourstorulesihatepwe735fury#0751 7 votes
I don't see the value in this. Content bores me.
36%
joeykoricjiralinrianickcastletontm706 4 votes

Comments

• warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    Haven't you posted this exact thread a dozen times already and got it locked every time?
  • ihatepwe735ihatepwe735 Member Posts: 337 Arc User
    warpangel wrote: »
    Haven't you posted this exact thread a dozen times already and got it locked every time?

It's similar, but different, a refinement of the idea.
  • vendoodvendood Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    No vote. Obvious bias in poll.
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    edited February 2019
    The program sees "your ship" as your character in space.

You are looking at your ship like it is your ride. Your "mount", so to speak. And you can park your "mount" where ever you want so the Captain can go there. And then, just teleport to it.

But that is not how the program works. The Ship is your Character...in space maps. The Captain is your character....on ground maps. As far as the program is concerned....it is one and the same. It must teleport that character to the locations.

It sees a ship as a different appearance and gear set up for space, just like customizing uniforms and gear for Captain on ground.

The Ship-you and the Captain-you can only be in one place at a time.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
    where2r1 wrote: »
    The program sees "your ship" as your character in space.

You are looking at your ship like it is your ride. Your "mount", so to speak. And you can park your "mount" where ever you want so the Captain can go there. And then, just teleport to it.

But that is not how the program works. The Ship is your Character...in space maps. The Captain is your character....on ground maps. As far as the program is concerned....it is one and the same. It must teleport that character to the locations.

It sees a ship as a different appearance and gear set up for space, just like customizing uniforms and gear for Captain on ground.

The Ship-you and the Captain-you can only be in one place at a time.

Its so nice to hear from one of the devs.

At any rate, I am not expecting to see fleets of uninhabited ships flying to systems. Or even for the ships to actually, in any way, to fly to the systems. I expect to select a ship from my selection, and a counter starts. Perhaps 1 hour later, like a DOFF or Admiralty assignment, a flashing button indicates the "ship" is ready.
    If I click the button, I DO transwarp to the new location, and I DO automatically swap active ships to the selected ship. I can now perform the mission, but upon leaving the target space map, battleground etc, instead of being returned to sector space, I instead get ported back to where I started, and my active ship changes back to normal. The ship used, in the UI, gets another cooldown before I can be reused, but I can now select a different "ready" mission ship if I have any in that state.
    At no time does this confuse the single point of presence as a ground or space entity we currently have.
  • kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    edited February 2019
    No, this is silly. But I refuse to pick the second poll option because "Content bores me" is an absurd (and biased) addition to the "No" option.
  • iamynaughtiamynaught Member Posts: 1,285 Arc User
    Transwarp works just fine for me, not sure what benefit this type of thing would really offer. Doesn't seem needed in the least.

Also, not voting on this as your "No" option is not an option I'd pick. The content does not bore me.
    Hello. My name is iamynaught and I am an altaholic.

Losing faith in humanity, one person at a time.
    edited February 2019
    iamynaught wrote: »
    Transwarp works just fine for me, not sure what benefit this type of thing would really offer.

All the patrols. Solanae space (and ground) battlegrounds. The dilithium mine. Fleet holdings. New Romulus, Nakura, that desert world. The Voth battlegrounds in the Delta Quadrant, the list goes on.

I'm quite confused by the negative reaction. I don't see how this harms any existing gameplay - unless you all secretly object to the idea of equipping and flying more than one ship.

Personally, I'd really REALLY like to fly more than one of my ships. But, with transwarp, I always have just my main ship available and who has the time or inclination to select "Switch Starship" all the time.

This just adds a neat mechanic that would make me think about equipping multiple mission ready ships, perhaps in configurations that suit certain maps.
    And it also neatly solves the paradox of choice problem lots of players suffer from in games that are too unstructured.
    Why do we enjoy the endeavour and personal endeavoru system Its not just the rewards, its the small set of objectives that can realistically be tackled. Why does the Random TFO system generate much more TFO use? Because when players are given a long list of Content, they only choose a small part of it, and then paradoxically get bored. The larger the total palette of content, the more mechanisms players need to encourage them to small parts of it.
    This is such a mechanism. When last did anyone do a system patrol? Because its just too much trouble to go out and find a new one.

• wideningxgyrewideningxgyre Member Posts: 710 Arc User
    iamynaught wrote: »
    Transwarp works just fine for me, not sure what benefit this type of thing would really offer.

All the patrols. Solanae space (and ground) battlegrounds. The dilithium mine. Fleet holdings. New Romulus, Nakura, that desert world. The Voth battlegrounds in the Delta Quadrant, the list goes on.

I'm quite confused by the negative reaction. I don't see how this harms any existing gameplay - unless you all secretly object to the idea of equipping and flying more than one ship.

Personally, I'd really REALLY like to fly more than one of my ships. But, with transwarp, I always have just my main ship available and who has the time or inclination to select "Switch Starship" all the time.

This just adds a neat mechanic that would make me think about equipping multiple mission ready ships, perhaps in configurations that suit certain maps.
    And it also neatly solves the paradox of choice problem lots of players suffer from in games that are too unstructured.
    Why do we enjoy the endeavour and personal endeavoru system Its not just the rewards, its the small set of objectives that can realistically be tackled. Why does the Random TFO system generate much more TFO use? Because when players are given a long list of Content, they only choose a small part of it, and then paradoxically get bored. The larger the total palette of content, the more mechanisms players need to encourage them to small parts of it.
    This is such a mechanism. When last did anyone do a system patrol? Because its just too much trouble to go out and find a new one.

I don't see where this mechanic resolve any of the issues you've raised. Why wouldn't a player simply create a loadout and swap ships at ESD, then go do a mission.

"It also neatly solves the paradox of choice problem..." - how does it solve any problem. Choice is no further constrained with this mechanic. As for the Random vs. TFO, I'd argue they are popular because they provide substantially greater rewards, as well as some variety - the "Random" portion can be moderately entertaining for adding variety. But, the criticisms for the RTFs is equally strong, so it's still early to come to any real conclusion about their relative success or failure.

"When last did anyone do a system patrol? Because its just too much trouble to go out and find a new one." - People use many of the system patrols to test builds and grind ship mastery.
  • tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    your not really an admiral... or else you wouldnt be running errands for every tom TRIBBLE & harriet who comes knocking at your door.

game should recon that out... tying rank to promotion was plain silly.
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    Also, there is the option to buy ship load out slots. So, one can set up more than 2 load outs.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • storulesstorules Member Posts: 3,253 Arc User
    Heck yeah! send in those ships while I just drink some ale next to some orion dancing girls!​​
    tumblr_ncbngkt24X1ry46hlo1_400.gif
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,497 Arc User
    Your poll is still beating its wife.
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,210 Community Moderator
    OP already has a similar thread on subject that is still active. Spamming. /Thread
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
This discussion has been closed.