test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Ability to buy more character slots

craig76craig76 Member Posts: 775 Arc User
As title suggests, it'd be nice if the devs increase the amount of character slots we can buy on a account.
For me, i have used all my slots. When i came back to the game a few weeks ago, i bought the vanguard pack and created a Jem toon. Im now unable to create a Cardie unless i delete one of my other toons, which i really do not want to do as i have spent a long time on getting all my toons to where they are.
My dream account, would have 1eng 1 sci and 1 tac for every single playable species ingame and for both KDF and Fed. Then the Romulus side would be the same, but twice to allow me to be able to align the toons with both Fed and KDF.
I know, this would probably never be made possible ingame , like i said, its a dream account :) My only problem would be picking which toon to play on any given day lol. But i would be fine with that. The ones i currently have now, i dont want to delete them. I had to delete a few a couple of years ago when DR was released so i could make room to make some Talaxians. And i didnt want to delete those one either, but i wanted Talaxians for both Fed and KDF.
Anyway, i was hoping we could still have an increase to how many slots we can purchase.
I dont want to start from scratch with another account as my main account already has all the ship unlocks from the events,etc.
I'd be happy to be able to buy an extra 44. That'd make 100 slots. A nice round figure :) But am open to suggestions from the devs.
I believe God created the universe, because he knew we wanted to explore. So, he made us a playground...
planet-space-sun.jpg
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    They don't seem very keen on increasing the number of slots that can be bought. I think it might have something to do with the fact that it's a database issue.

The best we get is them giving us a new character slot every time they introduce something new that requires us to have another character We got 1 for Romulans, 1 for Delta Recruit, 1 for Temporal Recruit, 1 for the Jem'hadar and 1 for Discovery Captains (at least I believe they gave us one). I think though to do this, they have to make space in the database in order to account for the amount of stuff they have to store.

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
  • craig76craig76 Member Posts: 775 Arc User
    Seems like that would be a good enough reason why they wouldn't increase it.
    But still, can't hurt to ask, and hopefully a dev or even Ambassador Kael could throw some light on to this and either clarify what you said or tell us if they can or can't, and if they can't why they cant(if it isn't something to do with what you said).
    I just saw some comments the other day or week, someone saying something similar, so thought i'd start a thread and see if we can get an answer from a dev :)
    I believe God created the universe, because he knew we wanted to explore. So, he made us a playground...
    planet-space-sun.jpg
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,238 Community Moderator
    I ask for this all the time. :mrgreen: According to Bort, character data takes up the most room in the database. Also, last time I asked about it, he said it wasn't up to him when or by how much they could/would increase character slots. But I'm with you. I've maxed out the number of character slots on my account, too, and I do not want to start another account just for more toon slots.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
    ah ok. So it is data then, like what vegeta50024 said.
    But still, not everyone is toon happy like we are lol. I think most people would only have a few toons.
    From my point of view, i think it wouldnt hurt to increase the slots even by say, a hundred, just for argument's sake. Because say i wanted to create that many, im going to make that many regardless if they give us the option of buying more slots or not. Just means i have to start over on a fresh account....or well, 2 accounts for 100 toons lol. So, all my toons are going to create a lot of data at some point anyway.
    But, from their point of view, i guess it might be the case of, " we will keep it at 56 toons, and people will generally wont bother with a 2nd account", so by the sound of it, thats whats going on, they keep it as is as to keep the data down a bit and to curb people from having a character addiction.
    In my defense, its too late. I think you have an addiction to your characters and wanting more if you have anymore than 1 lol
    But, at least its nice to know the reasoning behind the limitations on why we cant buy anymore slots. So thanks for the input there guys :)
    But, im still going to say, it doesnt hurt to ask....or keep asking. You never know if they devs have a change of heart :)
    planet-space-sun.jpg
  • darthoricidarthorici Member Posts: 187 Arc User
    i would like to see with each new add on ( like age of discovery) the give 3 slots so some who wants to do tac,sci, and eng. can do just that.
  • trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
    I ask for this all the time. :mrgreen: According to Bort, character data takes up the most room in the database. Also, last time I asked about it, he said it wasn't up to him when or by how much they could/would increase character slots. But I'm with you. I've maxed out the number of character slots on my account, too, and I do not want to start another account just for more toon slots.

Linked dual accounts, maybe? Where the two accounts share the same zen, dilex and account bank. Then on character select add a account one and account two options.

I still haven't maxed the char slots on my primary account. But, this would give me reason to create a second account for when I do.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,301 Arc User
    edited February 2019

What is the current limit for the number of characters? And just how do you folks manage such large amounts of chars?
    I think i currently have 10 chars and only 3 of those i play regularly. The rest is kept updated, but is a lot less frequently played.

If all those chars had not been tuned to very specific play styles i would have reduced their number to 5 or 6 already.
    Post edited by questerius on
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
    edited February 2019
    trennan wrote: »

Linked dual accounts, maybe? Where the two accounts share the same zen, dilex and account bank. Then on character select add a account one and account two options.

I still haven't maxed the char slots on my primary account. But, this would give me reason to create a second account for when I do.

I like this idea. Thats brilliant :)
    They could also quite easily link all the ships,etc that we have unlocked from events to the other accounts.
    planet-space-sun.jpg
    questerius wrote: »

What is the current limit for the number of characters? And just how do you folks manage such large amounts of chars?
    I think i currently have 10 chars and only 3 of those i play regularly. The rest is kept updated, but is a lot less frequently played.

If all those chars not have been tuned to very specific play styles i would have reduced the number to 5 or 6 already.

Current max is 56, (If you are LTS), i think it is 55 if you are not LTS.
    For me, i do all the new content on my main character, like any new reps that come out, new stories,etc. Once that toon has done them i go work on another toon.
    The parts that take the longest to do, besides story arc missions, would be doffing, and rep i think. Admiralty isnt too bad. Im not including doing the crafting in this tho. If you include crafting, well , that would easily be the longest part of working a new toon up.
    There was a term made up for those of us who just love our toons some years ago, that is, "toonaholic" lol.
    planet-space-sun.jpg
  • iamynaughtiamynaught Member Posts: 1,285 Arc User
    I'm on the same ship. I maxed out the number of slots years ago and can't make any more characters unless they decide to hand out free ones for Recruitment events or whatever. I would LOVE to see them up the limit but with it being a database issue, I won't count on it outside the rare freebie.

Do all my alts get played daily? No, but that doesn't make them any less special in my mind. And whenever I hear someone say "delete one" I keep thinking to myself, "Murder one of my kids? Nope." First world problem, I suppose. :)
    Hello. My name is iamynaught and I am an altaholic.

Losing faith in humanity, one person at a time.
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,301 Arc User
    I am probably going to cash in my two JH characters (sell gear, convert marks into dil and refine it then into bank account), disco character and Orion Science char and replace them with two Cardassian characters. I don't suppose there is another delta event on the horizon shortly.. :open_mouth:
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
    iamynaught wrote: »
    Do all my alts get played daily? No, but that doesn't make them any less special in my mind.......I keep thinking to myself, "Murder one of my kids? Nope."

Exactly how i feel. They are like my kids....Weeelllll, they are ;)
    planet-space-sun.jpg

That would be cool, IF my LTS, C-Store, Account unlocks, Recruitment bonuses, etc. applied to the linked account. Otherwise, it wouldn't be worth it to me.
    questerius wrote: »

If all those chars had not been tuned to very specific play styles i would have reduced their number to 5 or 6 already.

As stated, 56 for LTS. Personally, I have mine grouped in 4 tiers, and I rotate through them depending on what events are going on in the game at any given time.
    GrWzQke.png
    edited February 2019
    That would be cool, IF my LTS, C-Store, Account unlocks, Recruitment bonuses, etc. applied to the linked account. Otherwise, it wouldn't be worth it to me.

Yeah, i have to agree.
    I would even pay to have accounts linked. $10-$20 for each account being linked, i think would be reasonable.

ruinthefun wrote: »
    Extending character slot cap would be good, since then we wouldn't have to keep creating more accounts, which, due to being missing so many things, will end up as mules, taking up the same DB space, but without a commensurate increase in expenditure as they'll never be able to perform at a worthwhile level.

I was trying to say that it would end up costing them database space no matter what, but probably just not as clear as what you just did lol.
    I mentioned if anyone creates another account, or 2 and buy all slots again, thats another 56 toons worth of space, per account i make, im going to use weather they give us slots increase on our main account, or we create new accounts. So, it would only be logical to allow us to purchase more slots for our main anyway.

Last night, i went through all the characters we can make, thats including the purchasable species, and the LTS species we can play. I came to , i think it was 182 toons. Thats having 1 sci, 1 tac & 1 eng of each species, both for Fed and KDF as well as having Jem'Hadars, Cardassians, Romulans and Remans aligned to both Feds and KDFs. Thats also including 3 alien species for both factions as well. Make it 185 if you want to add 3 to the Romulan faction.
    Thats my dream account right there lol. If it happens or not is another thing. Only time would tell :)
    Post edited by craig76 on
    planet-space-sun.jpg
    edited February 2019

Yeah, i have to agree.
    I would even pay $10-$20 i think is reasonable to have each account linked.

ruinthefun wrote: »
    Extending character slot cap would be good, since then we wouldn't have to keep creating more accounts, which, due to being missing so many things, will end up as mules, taking up the same DB space, but without a commensurate increase in expenditure as they'll never be able to perform at a worthwhile level.

Thats what i was trying to say in one of my earlier posts, that it'd take as much databank space weather they give us option to buy more slots or we create new accounts. Just didnt come out as clear as what you just said lol.

Last night, i worked out it would be about 182 toons, if we have 1 tac, 1 sci, & 1 eng of each species for both factions. Thats including the purchasable species in store, and the LTS species. And having Jem'Hadar, Cardassians, Romulans, & Remans aligned with both factions, as well as having 3 alien species for both factions. 185 if you have 3 more alien species for one faction aligned Romulans, or 188 for both aligned factions.
    Not everyone would do this obviously. For me, its my dream account lol.

*Went to edit my comment due to spelling errors and missing keywords on my last post, basically saying the above, and it deleted my entire post after i clicked save post lol.
    So, if it miraculously appears, i will have to delete this post so as i am not double posting.
    planet-space-sun.jpg
  • trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User

That's what I'm getting at. The linked account, would technically be, just the one account. The secondary would be there as a means of expanding the character slots. You'd still use your main characters though.

Like a cloned account so to speak. Where your primary account for it would be @person, the secondary part for the character slots would be, @person2, or something along those lines.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • zerokillcf2011zerokillcf2011 Member Posts: 545 Arc User
    Shared accounts would be handy.
    Well, hopefully they'll increase character slots, because that would be the proper way to do it. But, i will settle for linked accounts
    planet-space-sun.jpg
    I prefer increased character slots as well. Heaven forbid if a link between accounts gets broken.
    GrWzQke.png
  • shadowkoshshadowkosh Member Posts: 1,688 Arc User
    what is the max amount of toon slots you can have
    Max is 56 for LTS.
    GrWzQke.png
    edited February 2019
    shadowkosh wrote: »
    what is the max amount of toon slots you can have

it was discussed further up :)
    planet-space-sun.jpg
    I prefer increased character slots as well. Heaven forbid if a link between accounts gets broken.

Yeah, i can just imagine all sorts of ways linked accounts can get broken.
    1. Linked LTS not working
    2. Linked event ships not appearing on linked accounts
    3. Dilithium not linking properly and other accounts still have nothing in them
    4. Other account shared rewards not working
    5. Store items not linking properly
    6. Links between accounts failing altogether

Just to name a few :\
    planet-space-sun.jpg
    This might be why the devs wont give us the choice of buying more slots too, only a few people are requesting it. If there were many more of us, they probably would increase the limit or allow us to link accounts.....Just a thought :)
    planet-space-sun.jpg
    So, we get an extra character slot with tomorrow's patch update. That is awesome! Now i can create my Cardassian :)
    Wonder if this thread had anything to do with helping us getting another slot? :smiley:
    Still, would be nice to be able to purchase even more slots or link other accounts. If its to be able to link accounts, i will happily create the other accounts for my requirements.
    But, still, this extra slot is great. :)
    planet-space-sun.jpg
  • vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    craig76 wrote: »
    So, we get an extra character slot with tomorrow's patch update. That is awesome! Now i can create my Cardassian :)
    Wonder if this thread had anything to do with helping us getting another slot? :smiley:
    Still, would be nice to be able to purchase even more slots or link other accounts. If its to be able to link accounts, i will happily create the other accounts for my requirements.
    But, still, this extra slot is great. :)

This thread likely had nothing to do with the extra character slot.

From time to time, they give an extra character slot (usually whenever they introduce a new playable group). This new slot I think is for people to experience the revamped character creation UI.

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
    The in-game Tailor would naturally be the next thing revamped after this.
    GrWzQke.png
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,100 Arc User

^^^^
    It's easier if they just increase the maximum slot count available per account. And as they see it, if you create a second account, the 'data cost' is offset by the fact you need to buy stuff from the C-Store if you want those characters to have the same things as your other account.

If you're 100% F2P and never buys anything from the store then it doesn't matter (with the exception of any free giveaway Cryptic's done over the years that your 'new' account missed.

Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
This discussion has been closed.