test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Can't log in STO anymore, OS not supported, CRITICAL ERROR.

spc1spc1 Member Posts: 20 Arc User
I am using Windows Server for everything. This is because Windows server doesn't have telemetry in it and because it doesn't have modern apps, it's faster and more reliable.

After new patch i get Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 is no longer supported error.

I am currently using Windows Server 2019, which is same as Windows 10 1809 and still get this error message, so game is not even checking what windows version i am using.

I tested:
Windows Server 2008 R2
Windows Server 2012 R2
Windows Server 2016
Windows Server 2019

NONE OF THEM WORK, ALL OF THEM SUPPORT AT LEAST DirectX 11 or higher with feature levels of 11_1 or HIGHER, with Windows Server 2019 supporting Ray Tracing and WDDM 2.5.

CantSTO.png
STO2019-1.png
STO2019-2.png

Please FIX THIS, so that game checks for version instead of just giving generic error about server 2003.
Post edited by spc1 on

Comments

• ekypyrosekypyros Member Posts: 181 Arc User
    Yes thats is sadly true because you need direct x 10 or higher
    Xp is long time not anymore supported WinServer is no play OS !
    Maybe you should when "you don't want" the malware Win7 or win10
    Take a look to free OS Linux Mint https://linuxmint.com/
    I play STO with Linux with Environment Wine since 2 years On Linux or wiht the App (PlayonLinux) Wine Frontend

Linux Mint ist easy to understand but have many expert settings playroom

I miss nothing under Linux most M$ Games and Programm i bring to running.

Thing about !
    greetz
    EKY
  • spc1spc1 Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited January 2019
    Windows Server 2019 supports DirectX 12 Feature level 12_1 with WDDM 2.5
    So there shouldn't be any limitation for not supporting OS Above Windows Server 2008.

I play all of my games on windows server.
    If sto drops support for windows server i'll be trashing this game and never playing it again.

• ekypyrosekypyros Member Posts: 181 Arc User
    May help a Virutal maschine ;) Virtual box or so ;)
  • i don't know what you people see wrong with windows telemetry, all it is is windows reporting sending crash reports and sending in performance data. this kind of thing has been in windows at one level or another since windows95 I don't see why all of a sudden with windows 10 it is a big issue. If something in windows is not working right or slowing things down when it shouldn't I want M$ to know about it, and to fix the issue ASAP. the data collected with telemetry in windows is not personally identifiable. they have no way of telling your system from joe blow's system.
    Star Treking, across the universe. Only going forward because we can't find reverse...
  • captaincheese2captaincheese2 Member Posts: 1 New User
    So you guys can't log in? At all?
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited January 2019
    You can use tools like 'O&O Shutup' to disable win10 data collection (and cortana and a lot of other stuff). But that doesn't solve your issue and I understand it's a blow facing this error. Try contacting custoner support via email, maybe they can help ✌
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • vulture510vulture510 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    I'm not about to rework my entire setup when it works for every other game without a problem. There was an initial response on Reddit but it's been radio silence for awhile, so I'm afraid this my be a broken-as-intended situation.
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    > @vulture510 said:
    > I'm not about to rework my entire setup when it works for every other game without a problem. There was an initial response on Reddit but it's been radio silence for awhile, so I'm afraid this my be a broken-as-intended situation.

Reddit as well as these forums are not customer support. You need to write an Email to customersupport@perfectworld.com (I think, please verify). This is the only way you receive attention.
    Forums and third party platforms you may be lucky catching a dev in his odd half-hour break and they feel like replying, but it's not a good way to report errors. Creating tickets on the website also occasionally fails. You have to take the long route to be sure.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
    angrytarg wrote: »
    > @vulture510 said:
    > I'm not about to rework my entire setup when it works for every other game without a problem. There was an initial response on Reddit but it's been radio silence for awhile, so I'm afraid this my be a broken-as-intended situation.

Reddit as well as these forums are not customer support. You need to write an Email to customersupport@perfectworld.com (I think, please verify). This is the only way you receive attention.
    Forums and third party platforms you may be lucky catching a dev in his odd half-hour break and they feel like replying, but it's not a good way to report errors. Creating tickets on the website also occasionally fails. You have to take the long route to be sure.

I sent them and email and they replied today simply stating it was not supported (I don't think it ever was officially), with no explanation of the sudden block.
  • darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,698 Community Moderator
    guys keep it civil in here and related to the point at hand.
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
    There is no, as in zero, additional development support needed for this. The additional effort was in adding the check for an server branded is and blocking it. There is no workaround or patch needed to make it work on windows 7.
  • miketalonnycmiketalonnyc Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    I've opened a ticket, will update if they respond. Basically they put in a check for "supported Windows versions" and forgot to add in the Server versions that correspond to the desktop versions. I've seen this happen about 500 times in my career. They'll need to patch the launcher once they add in the Windows Server 2008 R2 and higher Server version numbers.

BTW, this is why you code "these versions of Windows *or later*" instead of "these versions of Windows" when you do an OS check that doesn't require only specific versions be allowed. A painfully common programming mistake - but that's all it is, a simple mistake that they can fix.
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    Windows server was NEVER a supported OS for this game.

I agree, but keep in mind that the launcher is erroring out because it thinks the OS is Windows XP or earlier. In other words, if it didn't work on Server OS's because there was a functional problem, that's my fault. When it doesn't work because they used the wrong context in the launcher's OS check, that's Cryptic's problem to fix.

Once it recognizes that my version of Server meets or exceeds Windows XP; then if it still doesn't work there's nothing for Cryptic to do. Failing to fix this bug, however, means that the next major update for Windows 10 (which will change its version number) will result in the same type of launch failure.

> @miketalonnyc said:
    > coldnapalm wrote: »
    >
    > Windows server was NEVER a supported OS for this game.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > I agree, but keep in mind that the launcher is erroring out because it thinks the OS is Windows XP or earlier. In other words, if it didn't work on Server OS's because there was a functional problem, that's my fault. When it doesn't work because they used the wrong context in the launcher's OS check, that's Cryptic's problem to fix.
    >
    > Once it recognizes that my version of Server meets or exceeds Windows XP; then if it still doesn't work there's nothing for Cryptic to do. Failing to fix this bug, however, means that the next major update for Windows 10 (which will change its version number) will result in the same type of launch failure.

Yeah, if they had used the standard method of checking the version, then using the compatibility wizard would work. They must be doing something non-standard in the version check.
  • miketalonnycmiketalonnyc Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    I suspect - only because I've seen this happen quite a few times - that they're explicitly specifying versions of Windows by version number. That means only those versions will pass the check and load the game. Problem is that if MSFT changes the version number (like with the Creator Update for Win10) this method breaks fast.
    I have gotten a response from Arc/PWI support.

"Thank you for contacting us and I apologize for the issue. Unfortunately, we no longer support Windows Server. This was a decision made by the dev team, and therefore I am not able to provide troubleshooting steps for this issue."

So, there goes my cloud gaming rig =(
  • generaldisaster#4313 generaldisaster Member Posts: 373 Arc User
    edited February 2019
    I don't know about windows server, but desktop windows has a compatibility feature for running programs. if that feature is included in your version of windows server, try setting it to vista or maybe windows 7
    Star Treking, across the universe. Only going forward because we can't find reverse...
    I don't know about windows server, but desktop windows has a compatibility feature for running programs. if that feature is included in your version of windows server, try setting it to vista or maybe windows 7

Tried that, but they are using a more aggressive method of checking that is not fooled by that.
  • thepantspartythepantsparty Member Posts: 431 Arc User
    edited February 2019
    I was forced to quit because some incompetent dev confused Windows Server 2003 (which is no longer supported) with 2008 (aka Windows Vista, the version I'm told to "upgrade" to) and onward which were built from the same codebase as consumer versions of Windows. I hope whoever was responsible steps on an infinite diversity in infinite combinations of LEGOs.
  • sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,406 Arc User
    edited February 2019
    I was forced to quit because some incompetent dev confused Windows Server 2003 (which is no longer supported) with 2008 (aka Windows Vista, the version I'm told to "upgrade" to) and onward which were built from the same codebase as consumer versions of Windows. I hope whoever was responsible steps on an infinite diversity in infinite combinations of LEGOs.

First of all, stop slamming the devs that is called flaming and is against the terms of service. It has to do with the coding and not an incompetent dev as you assume. Wishing someone to step on LEGOs is also wrong, instead say what the issue is and tell Cryptic about it instead of getting angry and wanting harm to occur to a certain individual. I understand your frustration but this is not a healthy way to go about it. Thanks. :)
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
  • snowwolf#0563 snowwolf Member Posts: 1,018 Arc User
    Windows 10 spying on you should be your last concern considering how many other companies spy on you, even my brand new Ford sends telemetry about vehicle speed, location and so forth to Ford Motors.. Facebook is one of the worst, Steam also collects a lot of information.

My point is, everyone is spying on you.. But only Windows 10 gets a finger pointed at it all the time.
    sthe91 wrote: »
    First of all, stop slamming the devs that is called flaming and is against the terms of service. It has to do with the coding and not an incompetent dev as you assume. Wishing someone to step on LEGOs is also wrong, instead say what the issue is and tell Cryptic about it instead of getting angry and wanting harm to occur to a certain individual. I understand your frustration but this is not a healthy way to go about it. Thanks. :)

I explained what the problem is - Windows Server 2008 and beyond don't lack any features of consumer Windows, and blocking people running those operating systems from playing STO is an artificial barrier that makes no sense. Can you provide evidence that calling someone who doesn't know what they're doing incompetent is actually against the ToS, or are you just a bootlicker?
  • sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,406 Arc User
    sthe91 wrote: »

I explained what the problem is - Windows Server 2008 and beyond don't lack any features of consumer Windows, and blocking people running those operating systems from playing STO is an artificial barrier that makes no sense. Can you provide evidence that calling someone who doesn't know what they're doing incompetent is actually against the ToS, or are you just a bootlicker?

Well you said what the problem is and then went into editorializing mode. Also, calling me a bootlicker does not help your cause. I just want civility here and not toxicity. I have seen enough of that. Thanks.
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
    edited February 2019
    > @sthe91 said: Well you said what the problem is and then went into editorializing mode. Also, calling me a bootlicker does not help your cause. I just want civility here and not toxicity. I have seen enough of that. Thanks.

I sincerely hope that you can find better things to do than tone policing topics that you don't understand the details of.