test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

ETA?

Comments

• sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,406 Arc User
    josemialot wrote: »
    It's been reported and acknowledged, Cryptic's working on it.

For the last 4 months they claim they are working on it. I think no one belive them at this point.. 4 months.. you can create a hole new system in 4 months.

These things take time and they have a small team of developers. Plus on the Cryptic Studios website they are hiring for 20+ positions at Cryptic Studios and some of those are for STO.
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,248 Arc User
    sthe91 wrote: »

For the last 4 months they claim they are working on it. I think no one belive them at this point.. 4 months.. you can create a hole new system in 4 months.

These things take time and they have a small team of developers. Plus on the Cryptic Studios website they are hiring for 20+ positions at Cryptic Studios and some of those are for STO.

There's also the fact that Cryptic had an event promoting the foundry just recently (sure it was mostly player driven but Cryptic did pitch in with a reward and promotion), it's rather illogical for them to intentionally break or at least ignore the part of the game they just spent time and money to promote.
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,102 Arc User
    I have a question that I'm hoping someone can answer. I think I found a new bug. Why does it show only one and a half stars on the one screen and 4 stars on the other? I checked my reviews, there are 4 of them. One of them is 5 stars, two of them are 4 stars, and one is 3 stars. So I don't know where they are getting the 1 1/2 stars from.
    PEHrASs.png

Working As Intended. Cryptic's logic was that they didn't want new missions with a low number of playthroughs showing up as high starred missions out of the gate. As your missions get more player ratings, the separate 'star' rating entries will converge and the main displayed one will rise (assuming your mission continues to get more 4 and 5 star ratings.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited January 2019

And on top of that they need their small team to be able to fix things that have a big impact on all players. As great as the Foundry is and as impactful as it can be to some, the Foundry isn't a system that ultimately determines whether they stay in business. They want to support it but they also have to make business decisions on where they put their dev time across the game. So, the Foundry is a lower priority item (not zero priority, low priority. Work progresses.)

Also over the last four months we've seen the Foundry brought back online to the extent that it has been which included bug fixes to simply get the thing working again at the barest possible level for the system to continue having a role in the game (ie. putting missions in players hands again). The new bugs with the editor, ESD, top 3 system, and tailor they've only been able to take a crack at since last week. Kael confirmed on the stream today that they're looking into them but that effort is being interrupted in places by critical bug fixes like goatees making players, boffs, and NPC's turn invisible (including those in the Foundry, breaking some missions, so yeah that one definitely needed immediate work.)
    spiritborn wrote: »

There's also the fact that Cryptic had an event promoting the foundry just recently (sure it was mostly player driven but Cryptic did pitch in with a reward and promotion), it's rather illogical for them to intentionally break or at least ignore the part of the game they just spent time and money to promote.

There may be additional involvement coming soon...

#Can'tTalkAboutUpcomingContent
    #We'llMakeAPostAboutItHereSoon

Add to that the fact that Kael took $50 donations from Primar and Greendragoon to add certain maps to the Foundry during extra life, which he offered because he was working on adding more maps to the Foundry. For that to have an impact they need to fix the editor. So...hopefully soon but we'll just have to see and keep poking them about it (there's the point to make: "Don't Panic" but also don't treat it like it's not an issue. Poke Cryptic about the Foundry on Ten Forward, social media, and these forums to demonstrate that there is a popular interest in getting the Foundry back in shape.)

On Ten Forward today they did say that they want to focus more on helping players to find available content rather than making new types of systems like another Admiralty or R&D analog (not that those will never happen again but it's not what they're most interested in.) Simply fixing what's wrong with the Foundry would seem to compliment that interest quite well...so also consider where the studio is moving in suggesting/prodding RE. the Foundry (it could help them a lot to fill content holes and satisfy interests which they can't as easily in focusing on integrating multiple new series and doing so with a somewhat smaller team. The Foundry could be more impactful to STO moving forward just based on structural shifts in the game if it's at least brought into working shape sooner rather than later.)
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • josemialotjosemialot Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    4 months.. not a week.. not 2 weeks.. not 2 months but 4!! And at this rate is going to be another one.. how can you tell me it takes time?? It has been 4 months!!!
    4 months.. not a week.. not 2 weeks.. not 2 months but 4!! And at this rate is going to be another one.. how can you tell me it takes time?? It has been 4 months!!!

Well there are other foundry bugs that go back much further than 4 months, but again, almost all of it is accessible right now, there is nothing to stop you from going ahead and making a story today, here's a teaser for one of my missions I have just finished this week.

*snip vid*

As Duncan says it is not zero priority but it is lower than fixing items in the main game that are broken and lower than the continuous stream of new content we are seeing from new TFOs, lockbox content, ships, anniversary, episodes, winter event and so on. It will be fixed, just keep gently nudging them.
    The thing to remember that STO has systems and subsystems and subsystems of subsystems all which can interact is wierd and unpredictble ways and the people who orginally wrote the code have left Cryptic so current devs are doing guess work as to how things will behave.

It's not that writing the fix will take months (it will most likely take only few minutes) but figuring out what exactly is broken and why is the thing that'll take time, so unless you happen to know exactly what peice of code needs to be changed to fix things and how, you can't really say it's taking too long.
  • phoeniz1994phoeniz1994 Member Posts: 102 Arc User

And on top of that they need their small team to be able to fix things that have a big impact on all players. As great as the Foundry is and as impactful as it can be to some, the Foundry isn't a system that ultimately determines whether they stay in business. They want to support it but they also have to make business decisions on where they put their dev time across the game. So, the Foundry is a lower priority item (not zero priority, low priority. Work progresses.)

Also over the last four months we've seen the Foundry brought back online to the extent that it has been which included bug fixes to simply get the thing working again at the barest possible level for the system to continue having a role in the game (ie. putting missions in players hands again). The new bugs with the editor, ESD, top 3 system, and tailor they've only been able to take a crack at since last week. Kael confirmed on the stream today that they're looking into them but that effort is being interrupted in places by critical bug fixes like goatees making players, boffs, and NPC's turn invisible (including those in the Foundry, breaking some missions, so yeah that one definitely needed immediate work.)

There may be additional involvement coming soon...

#Can'tTalkAboutUpcomingContent
    #We'llMakeAPostAboutItHereSoon

Add to that the fact that Kael took $50 donations from Primar and Greendragoon to add certain maps to the Foundry during extra life, which he offered because he was working on adding more maps to the Foundry. For that to have an impact they need to fix the editor. So...hopefully soon but we'll just have to see and keep poking them about it (there's the point to make: "Don't Panic" but also don't treat it like it's not an issue. Poke Cryptic about the Foundry on Ten Forward, social media, and these forums to demonstrate that there is a popular interest in getting the Foundry back in shape.)

On Ten Forward today they did say that they want to focus more on helping players to find available content rather than making new types of systems like another Admiralty or R&D analog (not that those will never happen again but it's not what they're most interested in.) Simply fixing what's wrong with the Foundry would seem to compliment that interest quite well...so also consider where the studio is moving in suggesting/prodding RE. the Foundry (it could help them a lot to fill content holes and satisfy interests which they can't as easily in focusing on integrating multiple new series and doing so with a somewhat smaller team. The Foundry could be more impactful to STO moving forward just based on structural shifts in the game if it's at least brought into working shape sooner rather than later.)

Well, i am patient concerning Foundry, i just hope it won't be impossible... but then again, the fact that there would be new maps (hopefully) and with them new stuff to implement in our own custom made ones is itself worth the wait for me, at this point all i can do is wait and hope they manage tp figure it out.

Did they say anything that they Can share with the public (and i might have missed out) about either Foundry or future steps / content?

I just hope there's a way to either rewrite, or streamlien the code to make it an easier job for the employees working on the game...

Then again, i'll be gentle with the poking, as it is confirmed they are working on it ^^
    0he9rXF.png
    edited January 2019

No, I meant quite literally that Cryptic has had just over a week now to investigate and potentially fix the issues that are currently preventing missions from (effectively) being created. The Foundry came back online (in its current state) just before winter break (running through Christmas and New Years) which is when we could start reporting the issues with the editor, tailor, top 3 system, and ESD. Prior, the Foundry was simply down. It was down for a while (most of the 4 months since AOD's launch) but they got us back to the bare minimum we need to simply exist (ie. minor editing powers and most existing missions in players hands). That took quite some time and included fixing issues that were totally preventing missions from being playable in any form. This is a long process because a lot went wrong with AoD (not just in the Foundry...) and its taken the fixing of bugs to find out how many more bugs remain.

I'm one of the hosts on the Foundry Roundtable, I've been tracking this quite intensively and I've been involved in the principle reporting of most of the severe issues that have been affecting the Foundry. With where we stand now, Cryptic's only just started looking into the remaining big problems, so definitely take that into consideration when making ad hoc estimates about how much longer it might be until the Foundry is fully back in shape (probably a few weeks on some bug fixes assuming nothing major explodes in the main game between now and then.) They are working on it (definitely keep the pressure on them so Foundry issues don't drift off their radar. This is by no means a good place for the Foundry to be in, or Cryptic), but as explained it hasn't been an easy process.
    Post edited by duncanidaho11 on
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • ashstorm1ashstorm1 Member Posts: 679 Arc User
    ashstorm1 wrote: »
    Boy, I wish we had control of background music for our missions. It really sets the mood. (But I know the abuse and licensing issues there, so I understand why we don't have that option.)
    I suppose licensing wouldn't be too much of an issue if we had a "playlist" of preset music tracks (essentially either cryptic made or music they have license to use) that we could choose from.

Well, i have a very easy way to set the music according to the current mood when playing STO : turn the music off in the option tab, and play some adequate Star Trek OST from Youtube.

I used to do so back then when playing that (now sadly defunct) V'ger-related foundry mission called "Children of a Lesser God". It also featured a V'ger fly-over scene that was rendered very nicely when ran with the matching OST in the background.
    True but we were talking more about directing the mood of the scene thru in-game assets, for example if you want a map/location to look nice at first glance but still be unnerving to the player you could have ambient music that contrasts with the scenery as it seems to be.

I get your point, and I do agree that being able to choose from different musics while designing Foundry maps would be great. Although, considering the editor's current state of disrepair, I'm not keeping my hopes too high for such an update in the future.
    edited January 2019
    Well, i am patient concerning Foundry, i just hope it won't be impossible... but then again, the fact that there would be new maps (hopefully) and with them new stuff to implement in our own custom made ones is itself worth the wait for me, at this point all i can do is wait and hope they manage tp figure it out.

Did they say anything that they Can share with the public (and i might have missed out) about either Foundry or future steps / content?

I just hope there's a way to either rewrite, or streamlien the code to make it an easier job for the employees working on the game...

Then again, i'll be gentle with the poking, as it is confirmed they are working on it ^^

Not besides "they're working on the bugs but they've also had to work on some stuff like goatees making characters/npc's invisible." Where they've been giving us more inside insight is where the game is heading concerning their great relationship with CBS and scaling down of the team [likely in part due to the MTG scaling up production and the studio shifting focus a bit]. I think both make a case that investing a little in the Foundry could go a long way to support the game as it continues to transition. They'll have more various trek productions to work on but somewhat fewer people to do that with. So, for continuing certain STO-centric plot lines and deeper dives into existing content the Foundry could be a great resource, if not essential to keep certain niches (cultivated over STO's life span, written mostly during an era without ST on TV) feeling as though what they attached themselves to still has an evolving presence in the game. Add to that, another venue for mixing content between series and the STO setting.

That's my thinking and I want to push it because it might help both the Foundry and the main game get on solid footing for further change and population shifts. Ie. try to come up with a better argument for why its worth investing in the Foundry (it's not just that its a good feature, it's a good feature that has more promise in future just from where the game's heading [nevermind untapped development].)

Not besides "they're working on the bugs but they've also had to work on some stuff like goatees making characters/npc's invisible." Where they've been giving us more inside insight is where the game is heading concerning their great relationship with CBS and scaling down of the team [likely in part due to the MTG scaling up production and the studio shifting focus a bit]. I think both make a case that investing a little in the Foundry could go a long way to support the game as it continues to transition. They'll have more various trek productions to work on but somewhat fewer people to do that with. So, for continuing certain STO-centric plot lines and deeper dives into existing content the Foundry could be a great resource, if not essential to keep certain niches (cultivated over STO's life span, written mostly during an era without ST on TV) feeling as though what they attached themselves to still has an evolving presence in the game. Add to that, another venue for mixing content between series and the STO setting.

That's my thinking and I want to push it because it might help both the Foundry and the main game get on solid footing for further change and population shifts. Ie. try to come up with a better argument for why its worth investing in the Foundry (it's not just that its a good feature, it's a good feature that has more promise in future just from where the game's heading [nevermind untapped development].)

Yeah, i fully agree on that, i have even been hearing about how the Foundry could be STO and Cryptic's own Goldmine and, as I am speaking as a Foundry User myself, i couldn't agree more.

An MMO on a famous IP where creativity is well rewarded and implemented in such a way you can write your own adventures, where you can make your own stories, share them, with the public and all?

That would be crazy, and surely something that can set them aside from the rest of the market, giving them quite something to make them unique and quite appealing to Newcomers, i mean i dont think either SWTOR, nor WoW nor any other big MMO in the field has quite a feature, and STO has this since launch, if properly handled (or rebooted and made an enhanced version of it with all they learned until now,perhaps giving us even more tools to work with) it could be a Hit, expecially if it accompanies ever-improving story missions made in-house.

I mean, to make a comparison, they could be the LEGO of MMO world, and see how many people love LEGO!
    0he9rXF.png
  • zionus0zionus0 Member Posts: 395 Arc User
    Is anyone else having trouble publishing missions? I'm trying a republish but it keeps stopping at 50%
    Why do I still play and put money into STO?
    The Foundry, and my love of Star Trek
  • n7belannan7belanna Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    My mission doesn't use the ESD 2410 map (or any ESD map for that matter) and I'm having the same problem for the last three days now (since the last patch)

Everything works perfectly up until 50 %, then it stops and about an hour or two later I get the "failed to publish" message in the Foundry editor.
    "If you're telling me that this ship can skip across the universe on a highway made of mushrooms, I kind of have to go on faith... Be bold. Be brave. Be courageous. Black alert." - Christopher Pike
    We've passed that one along to Kael, could be a result of pre-patching going live. He's going to check with software and we'll update him if the Anniversary rolls around and we're still having problems.
    Bug updates:

-Publishing is now back online
    -ESD ground (2410) has been fixed!
    Bug updates:

any ETA on the editor?
    Bug updates:

any ETA on the editor?

Not beyond "devs are working on it."
    Still no news i take it?
    0he9rXF.png
    Still no news i take it?

No other then "they're working on it but it's a low priority"
  • marty123#3757 marty123 Member Posts: 670 Arc User
    > @spiritborn said:
    > phoeniz1994 wrote: »
    >
    > Still no news i take it?
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > No other then "they're working on it but it's a low priority"

Im not being funny, but as it’s been broken for seven months now, they should probably make it a high priority
  • chritmarsh#4963 chritmarsh Member Posts: 62 Arc User
    Well, I'm officially going to be bowing out of STO until the editor is fixed. After a year of playing for 4-5 hours every single day, I can honestly say that the only thing holding my interest after that much gameplay is the foundry. I didn't spend ALL of my time in the foundry, though. I'd spend some time here and there working on a mission, then jump back to my character, drop some $$$ on some Zen and such... but now that I can't utilize the foundry to express my creativity and build some of the Trek missions I've always thought would be cool, I sign on MAYBE once every couple of days... just long enough to see if it's fixed yet and to refine my dilithium. At this point, however, I give up. I'm done getting my hopes up every Thursday, that the patch will include a fix, only to be let down time and time again.

I've tried being patient with Cryptic. I understand they have a small staff, and I know they have A LOT of stuff they need to work on, but it's been since September and it's almost March. The fact they won't even give us an actual ETA (beyond 'the devs are working on it') is a slap in the face to anyone who is missing the foundry as much as we all are.
    It's not that hard to come up with an ETA for projects such as this, it doesn't have to be completely accurate, but a general idea would be nice. The fact they WON'T give one, makes me wonder just how much they really are working on it.

There are other games that now have my interest. If the foundry were working, those other games wouldn't be enough to pull me away from STO. But it's not. So have fun not getting my money, Cryptic. I'm sure I'm not the only one who is putting the game away because of this.

I'll check back here periodically to see if it's fixed and, when it is, I'll come back. But until then, I'm taking a leave of absence.

(and yes, I know that the foundry is functional as long as you don't want to customize characters or ships. But I'm not one to use generic costumes in my missions. Designing the characters is half the fun for me)

"Today is a good day to die... but I'd rather go to Risa."-Fleet Admiral Christopher D. Marshall
    O1P2m6v.png
This discussion has been closed.