test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[PC] Updates to Hair and Skin Textures

ambassadorkael#6946 ambassadorkael Member, Administrator Posts: 2,674 Community Manager
We're making some updates to hair and skin textures in the game, which PC users will start seeing tomorrow.

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11073633

Comments

• angarus1angarus1 Member Posts: 684 Arc User
    Exciting! I hope the results on my characters will look promising.
  • mithrosnomoremithrosnomore Member Posts: 390 Arc User
    In some of the images the change is quite noticeable. More like two different colors than an adjustment.

I imagine a whole lot of players will be dropping by the tailor to either "fix" their hair color after the change or just to try out something totally new.

Still, this is good.

• iamynaughtiamynaught Member Posts: 1,285 Arc User
    Very interesting. The characters look less 'plastic-y'. Nice job.
    Hello. My name is iamynaught and I am an altaholic.

Losing faith in humanity, one person at a time.
  • alexsanderitaalexsanderita Member Posts: 214 Arc User
    Keep up the good work!! I expecially like how you simulated the 3D depth of skin.
    I still dream from time to time about using the Gateway to doff off-game in spare minutes as we were told
  • jaturnleyjaturnley Member Posts: 1,218 Arc User
    Have some of these already gone live? I noted that my borg main toon's eyes and skin look considerably better than before - the solid color eye option I use looks like it's translucent now instead of solid, which is a very nice effect.
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    Is my computer broken??? But in these "old" and "new" pictures....the hair look like totally different colors???
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • nommo#5819 nommo Member Posts: 1,105 Arc User
    The better performance is most welcomed. I might've just read over it previously but this is a bit of a shocker announcement to me. I'm surprised it hadn't been promoted more since STO is long in the tooth. I hope this looks good & works out. There will be lots more Tailor visits I'm sure.
  • commanderkassycommanderkassy Member Posts: 1,005 Arc User
    This is super cool and all, but do we get Killy's hair? We should.
    ♪ I'm going around not in circles but in spirographs.
    It's pretty much this hard to keep just one timeline intact. ♪
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,659 Arc User

^
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • unclegoldieunclegoldie Member Posts: 263 Arc User

Along with this, what I'd really like is Tilly's (Mary Wiseman's) "mane" (for lack of a better term). Gotta love all them curls. :)
    Epohh Vindaloo and beer milkshakes for everyone
    jH7LGEi.jpg
  • duasynduasyn Member Posts: 492 Arc User
    Looks nice. Many of the old hairstyles looked a bit plastic.
  • trillbuffettrillbuffet Member Posts: 861 Arc User
    Yeah I wanna know how much you guys pay to make the hair darker I can do that too.
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited January 2019
    Okay, I have to be 'that targ'... I don't see the difference. Aside from 'new' being darker?
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    edited January 2019
    What I want is more hairstyles. Male toons lack long hair styles.
  • blitzy4blitzy4 Member Posts: 839 Arc User
    Does this mean my caitain, might get a few extra colors
    jKixCmJ.jpg
    "..and like children playing after sunset, we were surrounded by darkness." -Ruri Hoshino

• knochengeigerknochengeiger Member Posts: 89 Arc User
    Also please disable the long hair cuts for Jem'Hadar... they make them look like trailerpark trash and i don't think any Jem'Hadar ever wore their hair like that in canon shows.
    We want to keep the foundry.
  • sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,403 Arc User
    Also please disable the long hair cuts for Jem'Hadar... they make them look like trailerpark trash and i don't think any Jem'Hadar ever wore their hair like that in canon shows.

If someone wants their Jem'Hadar to have long hair. So be it! Leave it alone. Instead advocate for shorter hair styles so you can use them for your character. Thanks. :)
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
  • captainhunter1captainhunter1 Member Posts: 1,626 Arc User
    blitzy4 wrote: »
    Does this mean my caitain, might get a few extra colors

Its been 9 years.... how about just ONE, true, iconic M'Ress hairstyle for Caitians?
  • snowwolf#0563 snowwolf Member Posts: 1,018 Arc User
    Well, it looks HORRIBLE. The new hair texture is awful, well calling it a texture is exaggerating. It's simply a black color, looks like they used the bucket tool in Microsoft Paint. Using any lighter shade of black turns into light grey.

So yeah, it's awful... Thanks a lot......
    HxYiu7i.png
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,245 Community Moderator
    Dukan'Rex would like to have a word with you about your "not in canon" assertion.

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/The_Abandoned_(episode)
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • jiralinriajiralinria Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    Oh wow! The hairstyle update is amazing! Wished since years they'd do that and now they have, thank you! <3
  • pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,165 Arc User
    edited January 2019
    Well, it looks HORRIBLE. The new hair texture is awful, well calling it a texture is exaggerating. It's simply a black color, looks like they used the bucket tool in Microsoft Paint. Using any lighter shade of black turns into light grey.

So yeah, it's awful... Thanks a lot...…
    I am going with awful as well. On mine the colour looks much better but due to the loss of MSAA it looks x10 worse. My entire screen is smooth apart from the hair which has massive aliasing problems and as it’s the only part of the screen without anti-aliasing it stands out badly.

It might look better on low end PC’s but not on high end PC's. Anyone found a fix for this as its a pretty bad downgrade in graphics. I would go as far as to say the hair now looks worse then when I was in in Beta over 9 years ago.

If only I could get anti-aliasing working on the hair then it would be an improvement.

• salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    edited January 2019
    So far, this update is a mixed bag. The difference in hair/skin is TBD for me personally as I will have to do some changes to my characters to get the look that I want and re-evaluate from there.

I can immediately, however, notice that multiple outfit pieces are fundamentally broken visually now. Particularly the shiny/reflective/metallic look of multiple costume pieces is now gone. The lobi Jem'hadar outfit looks matte now instead of it's old reflective/shiny look. The same is true of the TOS Tellarite (c-store outfit) pieces. I will continue checking my costumes on various characters and boffs but I'm honestly fearing the worst right now.

EDIT 1: Hirogen armor also looks completely dull now. It almost looks like a wool sweater. TBH, without even focusing much on how hair and skin looks now, I think we simply need a revert and a rethink to this update.

EDIT 2: Saw this on Reddit. I think the image says it all.

hyQhpS4.jpg
    Post edited by salazarraze on
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • theomenntheomenn Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    How the hair looks is a downgrade. Also it looks if a character has burned skin if you do not have a beard.
  • guriphuguriphu Member Posts: 494 Arc User
    edited January 2019
    Revert.
    unknown.png
  • finsches123finsches123 Member Posts: 155 Arc User
    I like the new hair, finally my char has black hair rather than shiny dark grey.
    Please do the same to eyebrows and beards, it looks pretty weird right now.
  • salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    Alright guys, here's some good news. Kael just said on the livestream that they are aware of all the bugs caused by the graphical update and are considering rolling it back. Here's hoping.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • nommo#5819 nommo Member Posts: 1,105 Arc User
    I luv the premise of this but it seems the results that are being mentioned are a mixed bag of okay to poor execution. I don't understand why this & other stuff isn't flushed-out on Tribble since that is its reason.
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    edited January 2019
    Alright guys, here's some good news. Kael just said on the livestream that they are aware of all the bugs caused by the graphical update and are considering rolling it back. Here's hoping.

Are they reverting it back???? It will save me a TON of time in the tailor adjusting colors on hair, especially. But some uniforms (like on my Jem'Hadars) colors look wrong.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • anodynesanodynes Member Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    I definitely like the color change. Old hair colors were always washed-out, so you really couldn't get a reasonable range from medium blonde through medium brown, and auburn and red hair were always this unnatural pinkish hue. Texture, though, seems a bit flat.
    This is an MMO, not a Star Trek episode simulator. That would make for a terrible game.
This discussion has been closed.